"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:03 pm

What's weird is that Toonami when they play the full OP still use the first version of the animation.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

User avatar
Footlong Shoe
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 pm
Location: Durham, NC
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 pm

SSJ Electric Fury wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
SSJ Electric Fury wrote:The Part One Blu-ray I ordered had shrink wrap covering the slip cover. Each disc holder has eight teeth instead of three. Goku is displayed on both discs one and two (no Beerus on two). The undersides of the discs are black. The slip cover is still holographic. Am I correct in assuming I got a bootleg? I didn't expect those to be a thing yet, considering it was only released in July. I didn't find any Google results regarding Part One bootlegs, either.
Pictures?
[spoiler]Image
Image
Image[/spoiler]
That is 100% a bootleg.

As soon as you said there was shrink-wrap over the slipcover, I had a hunch. That's the first thing I look for in images on eBay to figure out if a listing is bootleg. It's also the easiest telltale sign you can see without opening it.
The same disc art being on both is also a bad sign, especially since you seemed to know beforehand that there were supposed to be two different images.
But the major giveaway is the black discs. If you own any Blu-rays, a black disc should be a dead giveaway that the product is counterfeit, or at least produced in the cheapest way possible.
Definitely get in touch with the seller and demand a refund. Also be sure to look for these signs next time you order a Blu-ray. If you're ordering from a third party, always request pictures.

Anyway, on the topic of tonight's episode, did anyone else notice that in the recap, they changed Magetta's line from "Chugga chugga thwack(?)" to "Chugga chugga spark"? I guess they also thought it sounded a little too close to [that other word].
Steam - Footlong Shoe (psn_trooperman567)
XBL - Footlong Crocs
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1776


Hit me up, I might be willing to talk or play!

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by wjbraden » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:50 pm

I am a little behind on the Toonami airings and just wanted to get a little clarification. Did the dubbed version of Ending 3 air on Toonami for any of the episodes, or did they all air in Japanese? Apparently it was dubbed for the Blu-ray release that just came out last week, according to this YouTube video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WICKm2xERQE
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

User avatar
Okora
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:11 pm
Location: Planet Sadala

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Okora » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:30 am

Scsigs wrote:
SSJ Electric Fury wrote:The Part One Blu-ray I ordered had shrink wrap covering the slip cover. Each disc holder has eight teeth instead of three. Goku is displayed on both discs one and two (no Beerus on two). The undersides of the discs are black. The slip cover is still holographic. Am I correct in assuming I got a bootleg? I didn't expect those to be a thing yet, considering it was only released in July. I didn't find any Google results regarding Part One bootlegs, either.
Viz does the same stuff with putting the shrinkwrap over the slipcovers of their releases, maybe FUNi's started doing the same thing. They've also changed the cases they use to ship the discs of the One Piece sets slightly, plus, it's not unheard of for companies to use different kinds of disc cases over a while. It might've been a side effect of them switching up the cases they use in the packaging process. Watch an unboxing video & compare. If all that's different os the disc holders on the case, then your fine. You did order it from a first party seller, right? If so, then you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Now, I only argue differently with this next one to offer a different perspective.
DBZ_Lee wrote:Toei won't want the English dub too far back - it is Funi's biggest license, perhaps the only one they would really want Simuldubbed if possible.
Perhaps, though considering the large amount of characters in the Universe Survival Arc reaches next to One Piece levels, it'd be very hard, or next to impossible/improbable, depending on who they cast. Don't get me wrong, I like thinking positively about these things, but I'm also a realist.
DBZ_Lee wrote:It isn't as if Chris Sabat is doing a lot right now - Restaurant to another world is done, MHA is now done, so that leaves just Super, and Rawly Pickens is also directing, so it is entirely plausible they are simuldubbing.
He's still doing his regular roles in some of the shows they're dubbing, so it's not like he's doing nothing. Though, he's most likely directing the Future Trunks Arc at the very least. Maybe he's also watching the Super simulcast for the current arc, though he has stated that he prefers to binge longrunners that have arcs after their done, which I don't blame him for, as I feel the same way with many shows.
DBZ_Lee wrote:Burgmeier and Hedges haven't had any further work recently, either - it has to be because they have been told to only work on Super, as they were 70 odd episodes behind.
This would require them to dub a season (26 episodes) over the course of 8 weeks, a schedule similar to home video recording ala One Piece, and they'd be up to date before the end of this year.
Then of course, they'd need to mix it all, then put it on Funinow.
Yeah, but it's not like they're going to. Seeing as the TV broadcast has gone passed the initial 26 episodes they said they had the rights to in December, we can assume that, while they're working on future episode scripts, FUNi's not gonna force them to go overtime just to try to simuldub the show.
DBZ_Lee wrote:At the start of June, Eric Vale randomly signed into his facebook page - which he had been absent for years - and changed his cover photo to Goku, Trunks and Vegeta. Hasn't been seen since.
Probably because he got word that they were gonna have him dub Future Trunks' lines in the arc soon & he wanted to update it, nothing more.
DBZ_Lee wrote:Forneverworld creates a Youtube video in early April saying something huge was about to happen for Super and it was in relation to a dub.
I interpret that as they were about to start dubbing on a schedule in order to catch up.
At the start of July, Schemmel mentions recording for episode 47 at Anime Expo.
Could be, but he hasn't elaborated on what he was excited about. What it could actually be is him excited about castings, release schedules, or something else. He did say he was excited about stuff coming up in the future, but never said much further than what he did. It could be anything, really.
For Sean, yeah, he most likely has recorded all his Goku/Goku Black/Vegito lines. He's most likely the person that records the majority of his dialogue before the others, since he both lives in California & apparently records his dialogue over the internet, minus his screams I assume. I think he said on Twitter, or at least hinted, that he records his screams in Texas towards the end of recording the arcs, which is how Sabat tends to record the DB dubs, as Chris Ayres has said, which is smart.
DBZ_Lee wrote:That would suggest they dubbed Champa around April through May, then started Future Trunks in June, following a brief hiatus.
They are now likely dubbing the current season (if I'm right) we'll have to wait.
Highly likely. It would make sense since, unlike their Japanese counterparts, they have the added bonus of recording the arcs in chunks after the scriptwriting is complete for them. The they have to finalize everything with the mixers.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hmm seems Hakai will be left untranslated if this is anything to go by:
https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/ ... 4652770304

Like kamehameha and Kaioken think it's a good choice to leave this untranslated.
Well, "Kamehameha," though it translates to something, I'm sure, is actually a reference to one of Hawaii's rulers, so it makes sense on multiple levels. "Kaioken" as well makes more sense to leave untranslated, since "World King fist," or "King Kai Fist" is just stupid, not that mispronouncing it as "Kayoken" is any better though.
Okora wrote:
HeroR wrote:
TFS talked about their experience. They more or less said they were handed a script and told to read with no context.
Tfs did the voices of time patrollers not the actual storyline scripts. But thats not really my point my point was the lipsinking issue had nothing to do with the direction it was because they didn't edit any of the cutscenes
As the other guy said, TFS, specifically Lani, Taka, & Kaiser, were a part of the cast, & they helped Taka to do his recordings in Xenoverse 1, & they had to go through the same process, just not as extensive as the rest of the cast. They've stated that they, & everyone else, were only instructed to match the Japanese timings rather than do their own interpretations to the cutscenes. This is why the lip movements don't match the English dialogue better. Chris Rager similarly complained in his interview with Geekdom101 from last year. He specifically said that he wanted Bandai Namco to send them the cutscenes to dub rather than just the dialogue so they, "don't look like shit," as he said.
And here's the thing, many game developers actually care to match the lip movements to the various dubs of their games. Bandai Namco just don't care apparently, since the same shit has been happening in the Naruto games & that's if the games are lucky enough to get dubs at all. The last One Piece games didn't & neither did J-Stars, which I'm doubting rights issues were the reason, since Video Game, Comic, TV Show, & Movie rights are completely different & nothing was holding them back from doing it if they could release the game overseas without a problem other than them not wanting to do it. They could have even released a free downloadable voice pack & patched the game to use it if they wanted to do it. With the DLC they have, you download it & it just acts like keys to let you access what they patch into the games anyways, judging from how many megabytes/kilobytes they are, so any new castings in the future could easily be patched out, but I guess they're a bit too cheap.
Right but they still don't edit the cutscenes which is the point. Even with proper direction they would still be out of sync because it's synced the the japanese dialouge where a word that means the same thing could have twice as many syllables as the english translation not to mention the fact that the sentence structure is different as well.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:06 am

Okora wrote:Right but they still don't edit the cutscenes which is the point. Even with proper direction they would still be out of sync because it's synced the the Japanese dialogue where a word that means the same thing could have twice as many syllables as the english translation not to mention the fact that the sentence structure is different as well.
Doesn't mean they shouldn't have the cutscenes for the dubbing. At least then they could tweak the lines, or their deliveries, to match them better if the mouth movements aren't going to be changed.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:13 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:51 am

Today me and a few friends went to NYCC and went to the fan event hosted by Toei and Funi. During this event, we actually got to see an exclusive clip of a future episode dubbed (Trunks/Zamasu arc). I thought it sounded pretty good!

User avatar
VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:02 am

DainIronfoot wrote:Today me and a few friends went to NYCC and went to the fan event hosted by Toei and Funi. During this event, we actually got to see an exclusive clip of a future episode dubbed (Trunks/Zamasu arc). I thought it sounded pretty good!
Are you allowed to say what episode the clip was from?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

User avatar
DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:13 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:42 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Today me and a few friends went to NYCC and went to the fan event hosted by Toei and Funi. During this event, we actually got to see an exclusive clip of a future episode dubbed (Trunks/Zamasu arc). I thought it sounded pretty good!
Are you allowed to say what episode the clip was from?

Sent you PM, Cheers mate!

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1610
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:53 am

Amid all the excitement over the special, we also got a dub episode! It was alright. I remember loving that episode at the time it aired, but after 109 & 110 it can't help but feel like a comedown.

Still, good voice acting from everyone all around. Good screams from Sabat as Vegeta. We got to hear Microsoft Sam-agetta go "sniff sniff". Always a plus in my book :thumbup:

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:58 am

DainIronfoot wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Today me and a few friends went to NYCC and went to the fan event hosted by Toei and Funi. During this event, we actually got to see an exclusive clip of a future episode dubbed (Trunks/Zamasu arc). I thought it sounded pretty good!
Are you allowed to say what episode the clip was from?
Sent you PM, Cheers mate!
Send me one too!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am
Location: Midlands, UK

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:39 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:Today me and a few friends went to NYCC and went to the fan event hosted by Toei and Funi. During this event, we actually got to see an exclusive clip of a future episode dubbed (Trunks/Zamasu arc). I thought it sounded pretty good!
Not saying this didn't happen, but it is odd that literally no one else on twitter or in here are talking about this. Maybe there weren't that many people in attendance.

User avatar
DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:13 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:50 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Today me and a few friends went to NYCC and went to the fan event hosted by Toei and Funi. During this event, we actually got to see an exclusive clip of a future episode dubbed (Trunks/Zamasu arc). I thought it sounded pretty good!
Not saying this didn't happen, but it is odd that literally no one else on twitter or in here are talking about this. Maybe there weren't that many people in attendance.
It was part of the Toei/Funi event at the Marriot Marquis which was also recorded on Funi's Facebook. Me and my friends were the first group in line. One of my friends won a Goku figure when he won a game of Rock paper scissors with the hosts lol. We even got to see the English VA's come out of the room...but they trolled us in a way (Ian in particular) because they were like have fun in there guysssss and we all thought we would be able to take a quick picture with them but they left for the day haha.

There weren't a lot of people, and many were actually pretty young. Not everyone got to see the clip, only ones who finished all the tasks that they asked ;D.

User avatar
DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1185
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am
Location: Midlands, UK

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm

DainIronfoot wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Today me and a few friends went to NYCC and went to the fan event hosted by Toei and Funi. During this event, we actually got to see an exclusive clip of a future episode dubbed (Trunks/Zamasu arc). I thought it sounded pretty good!
Not saying this didn't happen, but it is odd that literally no one else on twitter or in here are talking about this. Maybe there weren't that many people in attendance.
It was part of the Toei/Funi event at the Marriot Marquis which was also recorded on Funi's Facebook. Me and my friends were the first group in line. One of my friends won a Goku figure when he won a game of Rock paper scissors with the hosts lol. We even got to see the English VA's come out of the room...but they trolled us in a way (Ian in particular) because they were like have fun in there guysssss and we all thought we would be able to take a quick picture with them but they left for the day haha.

There weren't a lot of people, and many were actually pretty young. Not everyone got to see the clip, only ones who finished all the tasks that they asked ;D.
That's really cool!. Thanks for the info. Any idea which episode the footage was taken from?.

User avatar
Okora
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:11 pm
Location: Planet Sadala

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Okora » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 am

Scsigs wrote:
Okora wrote:Right but they still don't edit the cutscenes which is the point. Even with proper direction they would still be out of sync because it's synced the the Japanese dialogue where a word that means the same thing could have twice as many syllables as the english translation not to mention the fact that the sentence structure is different as well.
Doesn't mean they shouldn't have the cutscenes for the dubbing. At least then they could tweak the lines, or their deliveries, to match them better if the mouth movements aren't going to be changed.
I never said they shouldn't I said that the lipflaps would still be out of sync even if they did have the cutscenes because the lipflaps are for a different language. Having the cutscenes would make it better but it would still be out of sync for most parts. There really is no real way to make the lipflaps perfect like it should without actually editing the cutscenes to make it fit with english

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:57 am

Good showing for Sabat. Did really well up until point Schemmel had been stealing all the screams but this was a good showing.

Also I knew Vegeta used FF and Magetta's weakness but totally forgot about blowing the ring up and him almost ringing out.

Being so far behind the Japanese is definitely a blessing in disguise. That said I cannot wait for the dubbed episode 109-110. That's gonna be next levels of unreal!

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Good showing for Sabat. Did really well up until point Schemmel had been stealing all the screams but this was a good showing.

Also I knew Vegeta used FF and Magetta's weakness but totally forgot about blowing the ring up and him almost ringing out.

Being so far behind the Japanese is definitely a blessing in disguise. That said I cannot wait for the dubbed episode 109-110. That's gonna be next levels of unreal!
Um, Sean hasn't been stealing al the screams. The show just hasn't had a lot of Vegeta getting fights up until this point in its story. Also, Goku's the main character & a glory hog. Of course he's gonna get more to do.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:04 am

So.......what do you guys think of Magetta's changes? I think they're stupid, unnecessary, and horrible. GG Funimation. I held out judgement until his crying scene to as show they'd handle it and it was still stupid. Why Funimation? Why can't you just be consistent?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:09 am

Forte224 wrote:So.......what do you guys think of Magetta's changes? I think they're stupid, unnecessary, and horrible. GG Funimation. I held out judgement until his crying scene to as show they'd handle it and it was still stupid. Why Funimation? Why can't you just be consistent?
It was consistent with their take on Magetta.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:10 am

HeroR wrote:
Forte224 wrote:So.......what do you guys think of Magetta's changes? I think they're stupid, unnecessary, and horrible. GG Funimation. I held out judgement until his crying scene to as show they'd handle it and it was still stupid. Why Funimation? Why can't you just be consistent?
It was consistent with their take on Magetta.
Yeah but it cemented their take on Magetta as a fail. I couldn't take the crying scene seriously because what I was seeing and what I was hearing didn't match at all. By Funimation being consistent, I meant why can't they be consistent with their dubs? In Z they changed stuff unnecessarily, in Kai they were faithful, and now in Super they change stuff unnecessarily again. I know it's still better than the OG Z dub but, come on

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 am

Forte224 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Forte224 wrote:So.......what do you guys think of Magetta's changes? I think they're stupid, unnecessary, and horrible. GG Funimation. I held out judgement until his crying scene to as show they'd handle it and it was still stupid. Why Funimation? Why can't you just be consistent?
It was consistent with their take on Magetta.
Yeah but it cemented their take on Magetta as a fail. I couldn't take the crying scene seriously because what I was seeing and what I was hearing didn't match at all
Well that is opinion since several people here don't mind or liked their take on Magetta. And the crying scene wasn't meant to be taken seriously even in the original version since the entire thing was big strong, nearly invincible Metal Man, crying because big bad Vegeta called him names.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Post Reply