"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Okay, can we stop talking about the "Zen-chan" thing?
If people want to talk about it they can, they have a right to

Anyways, yeah I think they'll go with Zen-man
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:25 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:

Sounds like the name of an anti-hero from One Punch Man.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:08 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:

Maybe Zenny?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:38 am

Anyone know how long Buu Kai has left? Just wondering when that finishes they can have 2 eps of DBS a week, 8-9pm then repeated on the Toonami block 11-12am.

Seems perfect.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Anyone know how long Buu Kai has left? Just wondering when that finishes they can have 2 eps of DBS a week, 8-9pm then repeated on the Toonami block 11-12am.

Seems perfect.
It'll finish around the same time as the end of the Future Trunks arc.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Anyone know how long Buu Kai has left? Just wondering when that finishes they can have 2 eps of DBS a week, 8-9pm then repeated on the Toonami block 11-12am.

Seems perfect.
You realize that's impossible to happen unless FUNi actually DOES a broadcast dub, right? I wouldn't be opposed to it, but they seem to have no interest in doing so. Don't get me wrong, though, it'd be pretty sweet if they did, but I doubt they would. Besides, isn't half an hour of the blocks already devoted to showing a rerun of the last weeks' episode anyways? I don't think they'd switch around the schedule to replace the rerun.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:41 pm

I'm really hoping the dub went with the choice of changing Black's SSR and base voice from XV2. Hit's change was great.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:24 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:I'm really hoping the dub went with the choice of changing Black's SSR and base voice from XV2. Hit's change was great.
I'm just hoping they change the entire Black voice, since neither is fitting, nor would either be good for the entire saga. Sabat has said that they tweaked the voice after watching the arc, so we'll see how it turned out.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:56 am

Scsigs wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:I'm really hoping the dub went with the choice of changing Black's SSR and base voice from XV2. Hit's change was great.
I'm just hoping they change the entire Black voice, since neither is fitting, nor would either be good for the entire saga. Sabat has said that they tweaked the voice after watching the arc, so we'll see how it turned out.
All I really want is Black's voice to have a more sinister yet chill type tone compared to Goku's, but nothing too drastic. I feel he tried too hard in XV2 and it ended up sounding dreadful.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:08 am

With regards to a potential Simuldub, I would think Funi would at least like to try it.

The only obstacles I could see would be Sean and Kyle both being based out of Texas, how far in advance Toei can provide them with the episodes, and having to re-use screams from old episodes, as they go back and record them about 8 weeks before the episode goes to Toonami right now.

I am hearing Sean only records remotely now, so perhaps Kyle can do the same - Matt Mercer too.
The big one is how fast Toei can get the episodes to them - the more time they have to get the episodes written, and scripted.
The screams would likely be recorded from scratch in time for TV/home video if they can get a week or two between recording so their voices recover.
Not sure how Japan handles them, as Nozawa does a great job - wouldn't be surprised if they re-use some of their older ones.

I could see Funi being very interested in a Simuldub for their biggest license, especially Toei, as from a merchandising perspective, it would offer them a lot of opportunities.
They have the resources and finances at their disposal in order to pull it off.
If they were going to do it, it is likely they would have to get up to date first - no skipping episodes - record the lot, mix it, and have all the episodes on Funimation, ready to stream.
Also, start at the beginning of a new Arc, they've had a very long one this year, so, who knows, maybe they are using this time to try and catch up.
We have no definitive time for when they began recording, so, no idea what they could be planning.

Funi have Simuldubbed Monster Hunter Season One, which was weekly for about 40+ episodes, and the rumors are Black Clover is 50+, so it is possible.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:41 pm

shadowmaria wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to hear who's voicing Zeno

But who else is waiting with baited breath for Kaioken times 10?!
It will be as cool as the version on dbzx2.

Seems perfect.
That won't happen due to them needing time to record the lines and match them to the lips to make it natural.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:41 pm

They do broadcast dubs with quick turn around for almost every other series not sure why DBS can’t get 2 new episodes a week.

It really is ridiculous how far behind the dub is.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:17 pm

I wonder how hard Funimation is celebrating Halloween right now?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:58 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
All I really want is Black's voice to have a more sinister yet chill type tone compared to Goku's, but nothing too drastic. I feel he tried too hard in XV2 and it ended up sounding dreadful.
I concur, just something more sinister, serious, & straight forward, with a good amount of arrogance, I think, would work well, rather than SS4, or British.
DBZ_Lee wrote:With regards to a potential Simuldub, I would think Funi would at least like to try it.

The only obstacles I could see would be Sean and Kyle both being based out of Texas, how far in advance Toei can provide them with the episodes, and having to re-use screams from old episodes, as they go back and record them about 8 weeks before the episode goes to Toonami right now.

I am hearing Sean only records remotely now, so perhaps Kyle can do the same - Matt Mercer too.
The big one is how fast Toei can get the episodes to them - the more time they have to get the episodes written, and scripted.
The screams would likely be recorded from scratch in time for TV/home video if they can get a week or two between recording so their voices recover.
Not sure how Japan handles them, as Nozawa does a great job - wouldn't be surprised if they re-use some of their older ones.

I could see Funi being very interested in a Simuldub for their biggest license, especially Toei, as from a merchandising perspective, it would offer them a lot of opportunities.
If they were going to do it, it is likely they would have to get up to date first - no skipping episodes - record the lot, mix it, and have all the episodes on Funimation, ready to stream.
Also, start at the beginning of a new Arc, they've had a very long one this year, so, who knows, maybe they are using this time to try and catch up.
We have no definitive time for when they began recording, so, no idea what they could be planning.

Funi have Simuldubbed Monster Hunter Season One, which was weekly for about 40+ episodes, and the rumors are Black Clover is 50+, so it is possible.
Well, I don't think they could have a 1:1 time with the Japanese to air them the same nights as they do in Japan. I could see something like Attack on Titan season 2's turn around time, with each episode airing a month after they do in Japan over here, dubbed. A lot Japanese anime series get started animating only a few months before broadcast, with Super's production time being 6 weeks, & the voice acting being recorded afterwards just like when it's being dubbed in another language, so, while Toei can email FUNi the Japanese scripts for translation, they'd still need more time to script & record the dub. Hence why I say a month. Not only that, but with the big amount of characters in the current arc, they're going to have to cast a large amount of actors to play them, leading to the need to have more time to record the episodes. While they can record the parts of the main characters with their principle cast in a quick enough time, i'm doubting that they'd have as easy a time doing that. though I'm sure Sabat is auditioning people as we speak for the uncasted characters for when the time comes.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:41 pm

Scsigs wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I'm just hoping they change the entire Black voice, since neither is fitting, nor would either be good for the entire saga. Sabat has said that they tweaked the voice after watching the arc, so we'll see how it turned out.
I concur, just something more sinister, serious, & straight forward, with a good amount of arrogance, I think, would work well, rather than SS4, or British.
DBZ_Lee wrote:With regards to a potential Simuldub, I would think Funi would at least like to try it.

Well, I don't think they could have a 1:1 time with the Japanese to air them the same nights as they do in Japan. I could see something like Attack on Titan season 2's turn around time, with each episode airing a month after they do in Japan over here, dubbed. A lot Japanese anime series get started animating only a few months before broadcast, with Super's production time being 6 weeks, & the voice acting being recorded afterwards just like when it's being dubbed in another language, so, while Toei can email FUNi the Japanese scripts for translation, they'd still need more time to script & record the dub. Hence why I say a month. Not only that, but with the big amount of characters in the current arc, they're going to have to cast a large amount of actors to play them, leading to the need to have more time to record the episodes. While they can record the parts of the main characters with their principle cast in a quick enough time, i'm doubting that they'd have as easy a time doing that. though I'm sure Sabat is auditioning people as we speak for the uncasted characters for when the time comes.
Hey, you didn't quote me. Oh, and, uh, Happy Halloween!

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:42 am

Just out of curiosity, where are DB Super part 3 let alone part 4 announcements from FUNi???

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:22 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Just out of curiosity, where are DB Super part 3 let alone part 4 announcements from FUNi???
FUNi have announced solicitations up until January 2018 but sadly no DBS Part 3 let alone 4 is scheduled yet. Their February solicits go up in 2 weeks on the 15th hopefully DBS Part 3 gets solicited for then!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:40 am

Ep titles:
#41 "Come Forth, Divine Dragon and Grant My Wish, Peas and Carrots!"
Provisional:
#42 "The Stormy Victory Party! Is It Finally Monaka vs. Son Goku?!"
Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:45 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Ep titles:
#41 "Come Forth, Divine Dragon, and Grany My Wish, Easy Pleasy!"

#42 "The Stormy Victory Party! Is It Finally Monaka vs. Son Goku?!"
Oh, come on! This again?! Can't we just have consistency please?!