"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:18 pm

I wasn't thrilled with the way Mills sounded in super, and what I've heard from FighterZ doesn't change that. Ayres voice had a seasoned quality to it, that helped reflect a galactic emperor who's been around the block once or twice. Mills sounds like a younger guy trying to make himself sound like someone older and more sophisticated, it lacks a natural quality. At least, that's what I think my problem with it is, I'm not the best at pinning these kind of things down.

I don't want to discount him out of hand though, as he hasn't had much time at all to get acclimated to the roll. As much as I adore Ayres' Freeza, and am crossing my fingers that there's any possibility that he could return, I'm also trying to be open to a slightly different take on the character, and not reject it simply because it isn't Ayres...but I do still have to like the way it sounds. :lol:

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:I wasn't thrilled with the way Mills sounded in super, and what I've heard from FighterZ doesn't change that. Ayres voice had a seasoned quality to it, that helped reflect a galactic emperor who's been around the block once or twice. Mills sounds like a younger guy trying to make himself sound like someone older and more sophisticated, it lacks a natural quality. At least, that's what I think my problem with it is, I'm not the best at pinning these kind of things down.

I don't want to discount him out of hand though, as he hasn't had much time at all to get acclimated to the roll. As much as I adore Ayres' Freeza, and am crossing my fingers that there's any possibility that he could return, I'm also trying to be open to a slightly different take on the character, and not reject it simply because it isn't Ayres...but I do still have to like the way it sounds. :lol:
But it turns him from megatron to starscream if you get what I’m saying.

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Dpc292 wrote:
Kaio_Krazy wrote:I wasn't thrilled with the way Mills sounded in super, and what I've heard from FighterZ doesn't change that. Ayres voice had a seasoned quality to it, that helped reflect a galactic emperor who's been around the block once or twice. Mills sounds like a younger guy trying to make himself sound like someone older and more sophisticated, it lacks a natural quality. At least, that's what I think my problem with it is, I'm not the best at pinning these kind of things down.

Honestly that's not a terrible comparison, but let's wait and see how he develops in the roll, and while we may not get a Frank Welker (to continue with this analogy) we may at least end up with a Corey Burton (Transformers Animated Megatron) if that makes any sense?

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
Dpc292 wrote:

Honestly that's not a terrible comparison, but let's wait and see how he develops in the roll, and while we may not get a Frank Welker (to continue with this analogy) we may at least end up with a Corey Burton (Transformers Animated Megatron) if that makes any sense?
Where are you finding the samples of his FigtherZ audio? I can't find it anywhere on youtube.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Kaio_Krazy wrote:
Dpc292 wrote:

Could you explain to the unwashed masses what I’m getting at here?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:As for Black Rose, the accent seems a little odd since he should just sound like an arrogant, polite, asshole with Goku's voice. But I remember MasakoX talking about it and said that a 'British' accent is needed for the arrogant/polite tone, which is what he does when he plays Black in those short clips, which got a lot of praise funny enough. But overall, the hyperbolic over Sean's version of Black has gotten out of hand with comparing to Funi earlier in Z.
Masako didn't use a British accent when voicing Black, not even Rosé form. He just used a more focused & arrogant version of his Goku voice & lowered his register a bit. THAT'S what I'd expect Schemmel to do.
MR.Mark wrote:Daman is fine, and once again no to Kuriboh. His Freeza voice sounds like the dude is pinching his nose when he's voicing him. It lacks the androgynous edge brought by Chris/Daman and dials the evil britishness up way to much.
I only brought him up, since all of their portrayals are based on the 'evil Brit' trope. LK himself IS British, so I thought it appropriate. I'm not saying they WOULD'VE done it & I'm not saying they SHOULD. Daman's gonna be his new VA & that's something all of us need to get used to. Which, by the way, he also voices Monaka. Fun fact there.
puar wrote:TFS is garbage. TFS voice actors are garbage. deal with it. they aren't suited for real dub works. why you keep talking about them like a blind fanboy? change the subject this ain't the TFS thread here
I only bring up TFS if it's a relevant thing to the discussion. YOU constantly throw blind hatred their way, which isn't conducive to a discussion, which is why we keep telling you to take these criticisms of them from this "half dead" thread as you called it (which, by the way, see what happens when there's ACTUALLY something to discuss?) to the official TFS thread, or, better yet, their YouTube videos' comment sections. There's a time & place for everything is all. Which, by the way, I disagree. There's something to be said for LK having a good portrayal of Frieza, but we haven't seen him in an 100% serious context. There's something with his performance that, if it were played straight, could make for a VERY horrifying character.
It's also relevant to bring them up here, since I genuinely enjoy Masako's take on Black, since his performance is what I expect of the character & Sean didn't give us that.
Dbzfan94 wrote:Then you haven't been paying attention. It's EVERYWHERE.

Why are you so insistent on putting TFS voices in as the official voices? His voice is good but isn't really fitting for a serious take.
I wouldn't say "EVERYWHERE," but I would get how it would get annoying when you're one of the people who realize that you shouldn't take TFS' words as gospel. I just don't see it everywhere.
And I'm not insisting they use TFS. I just made a reference to him. Calm it down.
Dbzfan94 wrote:No, he's in the right thread. Scsigs is the one that keeps bringing up TFS.
I only bring them up when it's relevant & I thought it was. Puar, on the other hand, only spews vitriol. Don't twist my words, I'm only saying that I appreciated the attempt at referencing the fandom & where they came from that Sabat did for Kai by bringing TFS in & I wish that they were allowed to keep it in, but Toei hates TFS &/or DBZA & I've accepted that. I was trying to make a comparison between them & Drummond, both of which I think were equally valid in bringing in, even though I'm not an Ocean dub fan & am a TFS fan.
It's funny how no one actually thinks to ask why someone would say something & either just assume, or don't. If you wanna know, ask. You technically did, but you assumed I wanted them to become the official dub cast. I don't. I just like references like these. Stuff the fandom can love for the fact that these people are who they are & were brought in for those who'd appreciate it. There's nothing wrong with that in my mind. I'd certainly find fault with it if it were all the time, but they're just a one-off things that Sabat does to have fun with dubbing the material & I think that's admirable. I appreciate going beyond what's needed for the job. If you don't feel that way, fine, but don't assume things just because you don't bother asking why I bring something up. I mean, shit man, I bring up TFS & you think I want them as a permanent addition to the dub casts. I don't want that AT ALL. Actually think through why I do something just because you don't agree, or ask before you accuse me of something.
[/quote]
I would've used THIS one instead...https://youtu.be/9OufCgFZCyU?t=47s, since that's what was referenced there.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:As for Black Rose, the accent seems a little odd since he should just sound like an arrogant, polite, asshole with Goku's voice. But I remember MasakoX talking about it and said that a 'British' accent is needed for the arrogant/polite tone, which is what he does when he plays Black in those short clips, which got a lot of praise funny enough. But overall, the hyperbolic over Sean's version of Black has gotten out of hand with comparing to Funi earlier in Z.
Masako didn't use a British accent when voicing Black, not even Rosé form. He just used a more focused & arrogant version of his Goku voice & lowered his register a bit. THAT'S what I'd expect Schemmel to do.
MR.Mark wrote:Daman is fine, and once again no to Kuriboh. His Freeza voice sounds like the dude is pinching his nose when he's voicing him. It lacks the androgynous edge brought by Chris/Daman and dials the evil britishness up way to much.
I only brought him up, since all of their portrayals are based on the 'evil Brit' trope. LK himself IS British, so I thought it appropriate. I'm not saying they WOULD'VE done it & I'm not saying they SHOULD. Daman's gonna be his new VA & that's something all of us need to get used to. Which, by the way, he also voices Monaka. Fun fact there.
puar wrote:TFS is garbage. TFS voice actors are garbage. deal with it. they aren't suited for real dub works. why you keep talking about them like a blind fanboy? change the subject this ain't the TFS thread here
I only bring up TFS if it's a relevant thing to the discussion. YOU constantly throw blind hatred their way, which isn't conducive to a discussion, which is why we keep telling you to take these criticisms of them from this "half dead" thread as you called it (which, by the way, see what happens when there's ACTUALLY something to discuss?) to the official TFS thread, or, better yet, their YouTube videos' comment sections. There's a time & place for everything is all. Which, by the way, I disagree. There's something to be said for LK having a good portrayal of Frieza, but we haven't seen him in an 100% serious context. There's something with his performance that, if it were played straight, could make for a VERY horrifying character.
It's also relevant to bring them up here, since I genuinely enjoy Masako's take on Black, since his performance is what I expect of the character & Sean didn't give us that.
Dbzfan94 wrote:Then you haven't been paying attention. It's EVERYWHERE.

Why are you so insistent on putting TFS voices in as the official voices? His voice is good but isn't really fitting for a serious take.
I wouldn't say "EVERYWHERE," but I would get how it would get annoying when you're one of the people who realize that you shouldn't take TFS' words as gospel. I just don't see it everywhere.
And I'm not insisting they use TFS. I just made a reference to him. Calm it down.
Dbzfan94 wrote:No, he's in the right thread. Scsigs is the one that keeps bringing up TFS.
I only bring them up when it's relevant & I thought it was. Puar, on the other hand, only spews vitriol. Don't twist my words, I'm only saying that I appreciated the attempt at referencing the fandom & where they came from that Sabat did for Kai by bringing TFS in & I wish that they were allowed to keep it in, but Toei hates TFS &/or DBZA & I've accepted that. I was trying to make a comparison between them & Drummond, both of which I think were equally valid in bringing in, even though I'm not an Ocean dub fan & am a TFS fan.
It's funny how no one actually thinks to ask why someone would say something & either just assume, or don't. If you wanna know, ask. You technically did, but you assumed I wanted them to become the official dub cast. I don't. I just like references like these. Stuff the fandom can love for the fact that these people are who they are & were brought in for those who'd appreciate it. There's nothing wrong with that in my mind. I'd certainly find fault with it if it were all the time, but they're just a one-off things that Sabat does to have fun with dubbing the material & I think that's admirable. I appreciate going beyond what's needed for the job. If you don't feel that way, fine, but don't assume things just because you don't bother asking why I bring something up. I mean, shit man, I bring up TFS & you think I want them as a permanent addition to the dub casts. I don't want that AT ALL. Actually think through why I do something just because you don't agree, or ask before you accuse me of something.
I would've used THIS one instead...https://youtu.be/9OufCgFZCyU?t=47s, since that's what was referenced there.
Hey, you didn't respond to my recent comment. Probably because no one did.
Caulifla best girl! :)

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Kuriboh being British is an issue then, since he obviously is having trouble hiding his accent. Nothing against him actually being British though, (obviously) I just don't think his Freeza voice sounds fitting enough.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:00 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Kuriboh being British is an issue then, since he obviously is having trouble hiding his accent. Nothing against him actually being British though, (obviously) I just don't think his Freeza voice sounds fitting enough.
Why would it be a problem? He's British, so he plays it up for Frieza. Ayres & Mills do the same thing. He doesn't try to hide the accent, so...what's the problem with his portrayal?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Why hasn't anyone responded to my recent comment?!?!?
You know what would be Super awesome? (Pun intended, as always). If we had an Ocean dub of Super, and while Drummond voices Regular Vegeta, It would be Sabat who voices Copy Vegeta. Tell me that wouldn't be dope!
Last edited by Dragon Ball Gus on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Why hasn't anyone responded to my recent comment?!?!?
Who are you?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Dpc292 wrote:
Who are you?
Dragon Ball Gus. But just call me Gus.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:09 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Dpc292 wrote:
Who are you?
I’ll call you nobody

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Dpc292 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Dpc292 wrote: Who are you?
I’ll call you nobody
Hey, that's kinda mean.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Good timing Gus! This week's Dragon Ball Super ratings were off the charts! All thanks to Brian Drummond. LOL.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:15 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Dpc292 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Dragon Ball Gus. But just call me Gus.
I’ll call you nobody
Hey, that's kinda mean.
Not as mean as I was to yo mama last night.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Good timing Gus! This week's Dragon Ball Super ratings were off the charts! All thanks to Brian Drummond. LOL.
That's great!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Dpc292 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Dpc292 wrote: I’ll call you nobody
Hey, that's kinda mean.
Are you fucking 12 years old? Grow up man.

Dpc292
Banned

Post by Dpc292 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Dpc292 wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Hey, that's kinda mean.
Are you fucking 12 years old? Grow up man.
Sorry, was just trolling, nothing serious about it man.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Scsigs wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:Kuriboh being British is an issue then, since he obviously is having trouble hiding his accent. Nothing against him actually being British though, (obviously) I just don't think his Freeza voice sounds fitting enough.
Why would it be a problem? He's British, so he plays it up for Frieza. Ayres & Mills do the same thing. He doesn't try to hide the accent, so...what's the problem with his portrayal?
Ayres and Mills are nowhere near as British, or as cartoony sounding.

Chris brought an androgynous creepy quality to compliment the "gentlemen speak", that is Important to the character .

Kuriboh sounds nasally and overly flamboyant rather than androgynous. Evil British gentlemen is not the complete package of Freeza.

That's the problem with his portrayal.