"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:14 pm

gohan_black wrote:terrible preformence by schemmel all the way. the part where he laugh in the end is so cringey. like something taken from an 80's anime
What are you expecting from Schemmel's performance exactly? I think you're setting the wrong standards when it comes to him.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:37 pm

gohan_black wrote:terrible preformence by schemmel all the way. the part where he laugh in the end is so cringey. like something taken from an 80's anime
Okay puar, calm down.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Black sounds tooo awesome. That laugh at the end...!!

Whoa a nice little moment with Vegeta and Trunks at the end there.

I totally forgot about the majority of this episode was surprise to see Cell's time machine! That's one perk of the dub being far behind! Tbh I prefer it like this.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Yeah, OLKv3 is right. I think I just heard a little bit of Rosé.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:31 pm

What..I have no idea how to respond to this opinion, I thought the laugh was fucking awesome and his overall performance was also awesome. He sounded sadistic, creepy and evil but still like Goku.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 pm

“They’re in mah belleh!”

Love English dub Beerus. 10/10 episode dub.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:48 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:“They’re in mah belleh!”

Love English dub Beerus. 10/10 episode dub.
Jason Douglas is great, so is Ian Sinclair as Whis. Wonder if he was channeling Mike Myers for that one.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:41 am

It's a dumb, trifling thing but I love it when the English VAs share stuff about what's going on in the Japanese version and looking forward to doing it themselves on social media and the like. I've seen Jason Douglas tweet about the baseball episode, Sean Schemmel talked about looking forward to the Ultra Instinct sliding Kamehameha on the unfortunately infamous Reddit AMA and I just seen Chuck Huber retweeting clips from 17's big moment yesterday. It's just this nice little thing that we're not the only one looking forward to those big moments being dubbed.

The latter's gonna be really interesting because he's knocking it out the park as Pilaf right now, but I'm pretty sure Pilaf's last appearance (the Bra birth episode, if I'm right?) is before 17 reappears. So it's going to be this complete gear shift for him.

"Hey Chuck, loved your work making Pilaf's comedy relief bits bearable. How would you like to play basically Hiei again?"

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:24 am

What? Are you kidding me? Sean Schemmel did a great job voicing Goku Black come on now.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:45 am

WHOA! Sean Schemmel's laugh at the very end...he...HE SOUNDS LIKE RADITZ!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF8PHB3E6S4&t=55s
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:10 am

Kataphrut wrote:It's a dumb, trifling thing but I love it when the English VAs share stuff about what's going on in the Japanese version and looking forward to doing it themselves on social media and the like. I've seen Jason Douglas tweet about the baseball episode, Sean Schemmel talked about looking forward to the Ultra Instinct sliding Kamehameha on the unfortunately infamous Reddit AMA and I just seen Chuck Huber retweeting clips from 17's big moment yesterday. It's just this nice little thing that we're not the only one looking forward to those big moments being dubbed.

The latter's gonna be really interesting because he's knocking it out the park as Pilaf right now, but I'm pretty sure Pilaf's last appearance (the Bra birth episode, if I'm right?) is before 17 reappears. So it's going to be this complete gear shift for him.

"Hey Chuck, loved your work making Pilaf's comedy relief bits bearable. How would you like to play basically Hiei again?"
I am soooo looking forward to Huber's #17!

But I am glad I am not the only who has noticed that Pilaf (and crew) are wayyyyy less annoying in the dub! They're actually funny!

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 am

Next ep is #50 or #51?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:49 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Next ep is #50 or #51?
51 I believe

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Next ep is #50 or #51?
51 I believe
We are 5 episodes away from SSR...? This is exciting apart from the hype moments I do not remember much from the arc!

Starscreacher

Post by Starscreacher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:51 pm

When does Zamasu appear?

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Starscreacher wrote:When does Zamasu appear?
He makes a cameo in Episode 52, but doesn't speak until Episode 53.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Starscreacher

Post by Starscreacher » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Starscreacher wrote:When does Zamasu appear?
He makes a cameo in Episode 52, but doesn't speak until Episode 53.
Cool. Thanks

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:57 am

Kataphrut wrote:It's a dumb, trifling thing but I love it when the English VAs share stuff about what's going on in the Japanese version and looking forward to doing it themselves on social media and the like. I've seen Jason Douglas tweet about the baseball episode, Sean Schemmel talked about looking forward to the Ultra Instinct sliding Kamehameha on the unfortunately infamous Reddit AMA and I just seen Chuck Huber retweeting clips from 17's big moment yesterday. It's just this nice little thing that we're not the only one looking forward to those big moments being dubbed.

Dude he wasn’t just playing Hiei again. He had to display no emotion and act like a teenager as well. Hiei was anger and arrogance and superiority...kinda like vegeta, except yu yu hakusho already had a vegeta in kuwabara.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:57 am

Though I haven't kept up with the dub for the majority of Super (planning to watch it all eventually, just haven't caught up on most of it), I need to watch my favorite arc as it comes out so I can fangirl over my boys Black and Zamasu again.

I agree with the earlier comment that Black was really inconsistent this episode. Sometimes he seemed to be going for the "poshness" or whatever it is he's attributing to Zamasu's influence, other times was just his regular Gokuu with a growlier voice. The laugh did...surprise me, though I'm not sure yet if it was in a good way or bad way :lol: He's definitely going for it, but the overall performance comes off as too cheesy I think, not at all matching the cool sexiness Nozawa exuded.

I'll wait until we hear Zamasu in a few weeks before I once again double down on the Rosé accent being stupid (because the reasoning behind it makes no sense, considering that in the Japanese version going Rosé was the start of Black's speech style becoming less similar to Zamasu, not more). But I am looking forward to it, and hoping that he sounds better in the show than the video game clips.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:06 am

Mooreish wrote:

Dude he wasn’t just playing Hiei again. He had to display no emotion and act like a teenager as well. Hiei was anger and arrogance and superiority...kinda like vegeta, except yu yu hakusho already had a vegeta in kuwabara.
He also played 17 before Hiei if I'm not mistaken. It's just how he does the two of them feels very similar, to the point where I watched Yu Yu Hakusho for the first time in the dub and thought, oh this is just Android 17 playing Android 17 by way of Android 17. Funnily enough, I believe Sabat originally wanted the part of Hiei, but I guess that would have been too obvious given how blatantly similar Hiei is to Vegeta.

I mainly said that because 17's role in the Tournament of Power is very similar to Hiei's in the Dark Tournament, just with the smugness dialled down.