"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:25 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Apparently, someone went and extracted clips from the latest Xenoverse 2 update. Meet dub Jiren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeGtKlFlHiM

Not bad if legit. Kind of sounds more like I'd expect Toppo to sound though.
Not bad about sums it up. It kinda sounds like Seitz to me? For the show proper the lines need to be delivered a lot more "colder" I think, but as a basis right now it is just okay.
Agreed. I am 99% certain that's Patrick Seitz, he doesn't have a Dragon Ball role yet so it'd make sense.
Definitely sounds like Seitz. I really like it, nice job!. Can't wait to hear Toppo :D

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:31 am

DBZ_Lee wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Not bad about sums it up. It kinda sounds like Seitz to me? For the show proper the lines need to be delivered a lot more "colder" I think, but as a basis right now it is just okay.
Agreed. I am 99% certain that's Patrick Seitz, he doesn't have a Dragon Ball role yet so it'd make sense.
Definitely sounds like Seitz. I really like it, nice job!. Can't wait to hear Toppo :D
Wasn't Seitz in the Bang Zoom dub? I thought Bang Zoom actors weren't alowed to work in the FUNi dub, or something like that.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:38 am

Kataphrut wrote:Apparently, someone went and extracted clips from the latest Xenoverse 2 update. Meet dub Jiren:

It's ok through I highly doubt this will be his actual voice in Super.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

Not bad about sums it up. It kinda sounds like Seitz to me? For the show proper the lines need to be delivered a lot more "colder" I think, but as a basis right now it is just okay.
He was one of my picks so hopefully he can get that cold/intimating persona across for the show, well I know he can so it's rather I hope he is directed that way.
Spider-Man wrote:It's ok through I highly doubt this will be his actual voice in Super.
If it is Seitz then it will the voice for DBS too as he is not from Texas so it wouldn't make sense for an out of towner to voice a DLC char if they weren't gonna play them in the actual show too. Otherwise Sabat would have got a local to fill in.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 am

SaintEvolution wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote: Agreed. I am 99% certain that's Patrick Seitz, he doesn't have a Dragon Ball role yet so it'd make sense.
Wasn't Seitz in the Bang Zoom dub? I thought Bang Zoom actors weren't alowed to work in the FUNi dub, or something like that.
I can't seem to find him as being credited anywhere, doesn't mean he wasn't though.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:58 am

SaintEvolution wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote: Agreed. I am 99% certain that's Patrick Seitz, he doesn't have a Dragon Ball role yet so it'd make sense.
When people asked him if he voiced Shenron in the Bang Zoom dub, he said that he didn't and that he wasn't in the dub at all. Seitz wrote for Kai and did a Time Patroller voice in the Xenoverse games, there's no way that he'd be in that dub especially when he's close with the people at FUNimation because he's one of the leads in One Piece
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:22 am

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
When people asked him if he voiced Shenron in the Bang Zoom dub, he said that he didn't and that he wasn't in the dub at all. Seitz wrote for Kai and did a Time Patroller voice in the Xenoverse games, there's no way that he'd be in that dub especially when he's close with the people at FUNimation because he's one of the leads in One Piece
DBZ_Lee wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:
I can't seem to find him as being credited anywhere, doesn't mean he wasn't though.
That makes sense.

Also, I saw people saying that Jiren's voice is Dan Green in some Youtube comments, but I think it's Seitz too.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 am

It does sound almost like a Yami Yugi impression in places. It would be kind of cool to have Dan Green, but that's very unlikely unless Schemmel decided to put in a word for a fellow 4Kids alumn. Stranger things have happened with this dub's casting decisions. It's almost certainly Seitz though. Personally I would have preferred him for Toppo.

The 'Superman' voice is an obvious pick for Jiren, for the longest time everyone thought that's what he was an analogue for. It's only recently we learned that he's more of a Batman. Plus, some of those lines suggest more of a "Manga Jiren" characterisation. I don't think anime Jiren has even said the word "justice".

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:36 am

I'd totally be fine with Dan Green for Toppo considering that the arc is going to have a lot of characters but he doesn't do much voice acting anymore aside from returning for Yugi whenever he shows up, but he's seeming to be making a comeback recently so it's possible
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 am

Just had another listen, realised that not only is that definitely Seitz but he's doing it exactly like how he does Endeavour in MHA.

That makes me more confident, that's a perfect fit for Jiren. Heroic on the surface, but arrogant and contemptful beneath it.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:46 am

On the topic of Vale's Trunks, sure he is no Kusao (the only one from the old cast who doesn't sound like he's phoning it in) but I feel he is doing a competent enough job, borderline good-great, he sounds just like I'd expect this now FTrunks to sounds a hardened veteran who has been through hell. No problems here.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:On the topic of Vale's Trunks, sure he is no Kusao (the only one from the old cast who doesn't sound like he's phoning it in) but I feel he is doing a competent enough job, borderline good-great, he sounds just like I'd expect this now FTrunks to sounds a hardened veteran who has been through hell. No problems here.
I don't see anything wrong with his performance. Even his gruffness has been tone down. Granted, he's more deadpan.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Spider-Man wrote:

It's ok through I highly doubt this will be his actual voice in Super.
HO MY GOD THIS IS TERRIBLE!!!!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Dub Jiren sound pretty good. I'm definitely getting a Patrick Seitz vibe from him.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Dub Jiren sound pretty good. I'm definitely getting a Patrick Seitz vibe from him.
It's him. Sounds too much like English Dio.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 pm

HeroR wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Dub Jiren sound pretty good. I'm definitely getting a Patrick Seitz vibe from him.
Well, Jiren's power does transcend time, too... :wink:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Well, Jiren's power does transcend time, too... :wink:
He's also plays English dub Endeavor from MHA, who is also an asshole hero. So, perfect choice. :thumbup:
Kanassa wrote:

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:28 pm

I don’t care that much for dub,but I heard that piccolos actor in evolution is the voice actor for zamasu,is that right?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:40 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:I don’t care that much for dub,but I heard that piccolos actor in evolution is the voice actor for zamasu,is that right?
Indeed, it would seem that he enjoys playing the role of green villains.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:44 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:I don’t care that much for dub,but I heard that piccolos actor in evolution is the voice actor for zamasu,is that right?
Indeed, it would seem that he enjoys playing the role of green villains.
I think it's more that he doesn't want Dragon Ball fans to forever remember him as Piccolo from that terrible movie. Although, I've heard Piccolo was actual very good and was the only positive. So, there's that.
Kanassa wrote: