"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mooreish » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:00 pm

I think that guy you keep wanting to have a role in super is going to be voicing jiren. You know, the original hit voice actor.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:00 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:Gotta say; I'm surprised we're getting an episode tonight

Usually if Adult Swim has an April fool's prank in mind the entire Toonami block is affected, before and after midnight
Except April Fool's is tomorrow, not today. Expect something tomorrow.
They've done it the night before after midnight before
It hasn't turned midnight yet.
Mooreish wrote:I think that guy you keep wanting to have a role in super is going to be voicing jiren. You know, the original hit voice actor.
Who are you talking to?
Artorias wrote:Also, "I'm the star of this damn show" is one of the single WORST lines Funimation has ever done. That was just...AWFUL. Holy shit. I don't understand how anyone could seriously defend that joke of a line. The dub continues to disappointment me with stupid, unnecessary 4th wall breaking meta changes. STOP IT. Take your dub a bit more seriously for god's sake. Funi is actually somehow REGRESSING from the Kai dub.
You are WAY overreacting here. Super's dub is the same level of quality as Kai's, as I've continually pointed out. Everyone who thinks every slightly-changed line is an abomination unto the world needs to chill the fuck out & look at their priorities here. 99% of the dialogue is spot-on to the Japanese (And even when it's the other 1%, it still fits the scene & characters, or is entirely harmless). This is NOT going to turn into another Z-type dub where they cherry-pick only a few moments to translate entirely properly. This is in-line with Kai, &, frankly, every other modern dub the company has produced. You can not like any of the changed lines, but anyone overreacting THIS MUCH to any of the minor line changes needs to actually look at the big picture here.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Except April Fool's is tomorrow, not today. Expect something tomorrow.
Mooreish wrote:I think that guy you keep wanting to have a role in super is going to be voicing jiren. You know, the original hit voice actor.
Who are you talking to?
Aaron Roberts.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Artorias wrote:Also, "I'm the star of this damn show" is one of the single WORST lines Funimation has ever done. That was just...AWFUL. Holy shit. I don't understand how anyone could seriously defend that joke of a line. The dub continues to disappointment me with stupid, unnecessary 4th wall breaking meta changes. STOP IT. Take your dub a bit more seriously for gods sake. Funi is actually somehow REGRESSING from the Kai dub.
I can see why people interpret it that way, but I really don't think that was supposed to be a 4th-wall-break. He's referring to being called the "opening act". If that really was a meta joke, I'd feel the same way you do.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:07 pm

Mooreish wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Who are you talking to?
Aaron Roberts.
"To," "who are you talking TO," not "about." Not everyone shares whatever you're talking about.
Footlong Shoe wrote:
Artorias wrote:Also, "I'm the star of this damn show" is one of the single WORST lines Funimation has ever done. That was just...AWFUL. Holy shit. I don't understand how anyone could seriously defend that joke of a line. The dub continues to disappointment me with stupid, unnecessary 4th wall breaking meta changes. STOP IT. Take your dub a bit more seriously for gods sake. Funi is actually somehow REGRESSING from the Kai dub.
I can see why people interpret it that way, but I really don't think that was supposed to be a 4th-wall-break. He's referring to being called the "opening act". If that really was a meta joke, I'd feel the same way you do.
Has anyone actually SEEN Super? Part of the humor in the JAPANESE version is meta jokes. It's not as much as the over-the-top, to the point of not being funny, physical humor & other lines that were meant to be funny. Honestly, this reaction from that guy was just uncalled for.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:08 pm

Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Except April Fool's is tomorrow, not today. Expect something tomorrow.
It affected the time slots before midnight last year as I recall

I'm fairly sure Samurai Jack aired before midnight and still got replaced by the rick and morty premier

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mooreish » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:09 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Mooreish wrote:
Scsigs wrote: It hasn't turned midnight yet.

Who are you talking to?
Aaron Roberts.
"To," who are you talking TO," not "about." Not everyone shares whatever you're talking about.
I’m stating my thoughts. They just came to my head so I decided to post my thoughts.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:12 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:

I'm fairly sure Samurai Jack aired before midnight and still got replaced by the rick and morty premier
April fool's was exactly 1 year ago today, though, not Sunday. Look at a calendar from last year. THAT'S why that happened.
Mooreish wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Mooreish wrote: Aaron Roberts.
"To," who are you talking TO," not "about." Not everyone shares whatever you're talking about.
I’m stating my thoughts. They just came to my head so I decided to post my thoughts.
You're making a generalized statement by putting, "I think that guy you keep wanting to have a role in super is going to be voicing jiren. You know, the original hit voice actor." Not everyone really cares about him being in the show. Some people were just thinking he would at some point. "You" implies you were talking to someone. All I'm saying is, poor choice of wording there.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:20 pm

Black and Zamasu sounded so much alike in many scenes that it was hard to say who was speaking. Sean did a good job match Zamasu’s voice, but you also hear a little of Goku in there too.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:22 pm

HeroR wrote:Black and Zamasu sounded so much alike in many scenes that it was hard to say who was speaking. Sean did a good job match Zamasu’s voice, but you also hear a little of Goku in there too.
Um...I don't know what YOU heard, but Sean sounded perfectly distinct as Black. He was doing a light British twang to it, but it's was his Goku voice first.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:30 pm

Okay, I'm definitely not a fan of how inconsistent Schemmel's Black sounded in this episode even if he didn't speak much. Some of his lines were okay, but towards the end there it was veering off into "trying too hard" territory again. Marsters' performance was excellent though; at this point, I can definitely say he's come into his own for the character.
Footlong Shoe wrote:I can see why people interpret it that way, but I really don't think that was supposed to be a 4th-wall-break. He's referring to being called the "opening act". If that really was a meta joke, I'd feel the same way you do.
That's the point that people seem to be missing -- even if someone sees it as breaking the fourth wall, it was literally a follow-up to Black's theatrical analogy so there's nothing "out of place" about the line when taken on its own. That, and it was just a single small piece of dialogue. I can't imagine anyone but the most hardcore purists getting peeved about it, provided that they're not already misinterpreting it.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 pm

Man there were a bunch of lines tonight that sounded like Black and Zamasu were on speed.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:50 pm

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:Black and Zamasu sounded so much alike in many scenes that it was hard to say who was speaking. Sean did a good job match Zamasu’s voice, but you also hear a little of Goku in there too.
Um...I don't know what YOU heard, but Sean sounded perfectly distinct as Black. He was doing a light British twang to it, but it's was his Goku voice first.
I know what I heard, thank you.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:56 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Man there were a bunch of lines tonight that sounded like Black and Zamasu were on speed.
There did seemed to be several points where they had to rush lines to fit the flaps.
Kanassa wrote:

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:08 am

Scsigs wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
Scsigs wrote: It hasn't turned midnight yet.

April fool's was exactly 1 year ago today, though, not Sunday. Look at a calendar from last year. THAT'S why that happened
Welp, not directly super related so I'll keep it to one post, but it looks like they are doing something tonight

FLCL Alternative Episode 1 is airing subbed in Stardust Crusaders' slot

I was just mistaken in the assumption that Super, Kai, and black clover would be affected as well

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:28 am

HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
You probably think you do, but I heard something else entirely from what you suggested.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:49 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Um...I don't know what YOU heard, but Sean sounded perfectly distinct as Black. He was doing a light British twang to it, but it's was his Goku voice first.
You probably think you do, but I heard something else entirely from what you suggested.
I really don’t need you to tell me what I didn’t or did hear. Like I don’t tell you what you supposedly heard.
Kanassa wrote:

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:27 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Um...I don't know what YOU heard, but Sean sounded perfectly distinct as Black. He was doing a light British twang to it, but it's was his Goku voice first.
You have any idea how much of an arrogant twit you sound like?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:39 am

MrTennek wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote: I know what I heard, thank you.
You have any idea how much of an arrogant twit you sound like?
I was going more for joking there, but ok. I see what you mean.

Firebolt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Firebolt » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:49 am

Is it just me or is Schemmel's Goku voice in Super a lot more strained and raspy compared to his performance in Kai?

Also Goku sounded a lot like Rosé Black when he said "You got sloppy!" Really hope it's just a mistake and they fix it later on.