"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
supersaiyandoctor wrote:This is more a Z dub question than Super but I thought it would get answered quicker here.

Was there a break with the dubbing of the Buu Saga? I've been rewatching the whole series of the original funimation dub and noticed that Sabat's Vegeta still sounds like his Cell Saga version until the Majin stuff happens and then continues to morph into something similar to the Season 1/2 redub and Super.
Sabat stopped redubbing Vegeta after the Freeza saga. From then on to the end of Z it was the original broadcast voice.
I'm well aware of that, and it was actually up until the end of the Garlic Jr saga. His voice reverts to the broadcast version when he crash lands back on Earth. I'm talking about how much his voice changes over the course of the Buu Saga, sounding like it did during the Cell arc until the Majin stuff happens. Then developing into something similar to his redub voice or even the Broly movie (which I think was dubbed around the same time as GT).

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:26 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:What does TFS have to do with this
It seems FUNImation are inspired on them while making this dub, which is sad considering how good and faithful were their dub in Kai 1.0
Hard to be faithful when the original script sucks, sometimes having a bit of fun makes the show better as long as it makes sense, in which it does.
Vegeta breaking the fourth wall saying he is the star of the show? Insulting enemy's mother? Yeah, it makes sense though I don't remember Super originally having a Deadpool like approach.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Diccolo-420 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
It seems FUNImation are inspired on them while making this dub, which is sad considering how good and faithful were their dub in Kai 1.0
Hard to be faithful when the original script sucks, sometimes having a bit of fun makes the show better as long as it makes sense, in which it does.
Vegeta breaking the fourth wall saying he is the star of the show? Insulting enemy's mother? Yeah, it makes sense though I don't remember Super originally having a Deadpool like approach.
To me it does make sense given how Super basically regressed Vegeta into "derr I'm #1 I gotta be number one even though I accepted that Kakarot is better than me".

totheark
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by totheark » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:29 pm

jeffbr92 wrote: Vegeta breaking the fourth wall saying he is the star of the show?
Wasn't that just a rebuttal to Black calling him an opening act?

User avatar
Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1093
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Planet Sadla

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:37 pm

Who's excited for Episode 66 dubbed? Because I know I am. :mrgreen:
Caulifla best girl! :)

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:47 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
It seems FUNImation are inspired on them while making this dub, which is sad considering how good and faithful were their dub in Kai 1.0
Hard to be faithful when the original script sucks, sometimes having a bit of fun makes the show better as long as it makes sense, in which it does.
Vegeta breaking the fourth wall saying he is the star of the show? Insulting enemy's mother? Yeah, it makes sense though I don't remember Super originally having a Deadpool like approach.
Sweet Christ can "I'm the star of this damn show" get its own thread I'm so sick of people complaining about it

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:45 pm

totheark wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote: Vegeta breaking the fourth wall saying he is the star of the show?
Wasn't that just a rebuttal to Black calling him an opening act?
Yes, but people keep complaining abut it & beat a dead horse because it wasn't the original line in the Japanese & they think it was a 4th wall joke, when it perfectly makes sense in context & wasn't meant to break the 4th wall.
AzuraRacon wrote:Sweet Christ can "I'm the star of this damn show" get its own thread I'm so sick of people complaining about it
I know, right? So many people are complaining a line that perfectly makes sense in context. It's certainly as valid as "go to hell," or whatever the original line was. Hell, the line before it was the same in both so why are so many people bitching & not having fun with this dub?
Diccolo-420 wrote:To me it does make sense given how Super basically regressed Vegeta into "derr I'm #1 I gotta be number one even though I accepted that Kakarot is better than me".
Why are so many people misinterpreting Vegeta's characterization? If you actually pay attention to the series, Vegeta's clearly wanting to stay in step with Goku. He even says that's why he's training. He doesn't wanna be that behind him. This characterization actually makes sense when you watch the Buu Saga, as Vegeta had feelings of being pissed at Goku because he didn't use SS3 against him during their fight. On top of that, Vegeta's whole character revolves around his being a Saiyan & his pride getting the better of him, as well as wanting to get stronger. You can admit someone's your better while also wanting to continue your own training & get stronger on your own. Just because Goku's stronger than Vegeta & Vegeta acknowledged that doesn't mean he wouldn't wanna attain the same level of power. Hell, with him knowing he can get stronger than Goku with the right motivation when Beerus hit Bulma, I bet that that reignited his passion to get stronger than Goku. As far as I can see, there are perfectly legitimate reasons for Vegeta to feel the way he does.

Or, ya know, you can sit there & claim it's flanderization/character regression without purpose. No skin off my bones.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:47 pm

totheark wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote: Vegeta breaking the fourth wall saying he is the star of the show?
Wasn't that just a rebuttal to Black calling him an opening act?
Yes it was, I believe it was when Black said he was wrong and Vegeta wasn't an opening act but an appetizer.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Who's excited for Episode 66 dubbed? Because I know I am. :mrgreen:
I'm excited for every dub episode! Always something to look forward too and #66 has a lot to look forward too!

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:29 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by mint0h » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Wow, they ruined Zamasu's "Son Goku!" scream, er, in the dub's context, the "GOKU!" scream.
It's like they forget Goku has a family name.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:02 pm

mint0h wrote:Wow, they ruined Zamasu's "Son Goku!" scream, er, in the dub's context, the "GOKU!" scream.
It's like they forget Goku has a family name.
"Ruined" is a major overstatement, the delivery was great

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7892
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
mint0h wrote:Wow, they ruined Zamasu's "Son Goku!" scream, er, in the dub's context, the "GOKU!" scream.
It's like they forget Goku has a family name.
"Ruined" is a major overstatement, the delivery was great
I agree. While 'Son Goku' was cooler in context, Marsters killed the line. The delivery equaled the JP version (I personally think it was better).

Also Vegetto's 'be perfect in hell', great.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:11 pm

HeroR wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
mint0h wrote:Wow, they ruined Zamasu's "Son Goku!" scream, er, in the dub's context, the "GOKU!" scream.
It's like they forget Goku has a family name.
"Ruined" is a major overstatement, the delivery was great
I agree. While 'Son Goku' was cooler in context, Marsters killed the line. The delivery equaled the JP version (I personally think it was better).

Also Vegetto's 'be perfect in hell', great.
I will conceed it would have been really cool if Funi had made this the one other time they use "Son" in the dub but if we judged these dubs based on the "what If's" we'd never be happy

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7892
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:18 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:
I will conceed it would have been really cool if Funi had made this the one other time they use "Son" in the dub but if we judged these dubs based on the "what If's" we'd never be happy
I was hoping for it since they allowed it once in Kai, but I never got my hopes up and what we got was great nonetheless.

Overall, Marsters did a wonderful job as Zamasu. He started a little rough in 53, but after that it was all gold with this and 61 being his best work. I think the fandom can all collectively agree that Marsters 'redeemed' himself from DBE (even if he was the one good thing from that movie). For such a horrible film, so much good came out of it that's hilarious at this point.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2017
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:42 am

Knowing what happens in the next episode, rewatching this episode in english was so, so satisfying.
The power coursing through me is exceptional, glorious, absolute! Stare in awe, I am justice incarnate!

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:21 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
It seems FUNImation are inspired on them while making this dub, which is sad considering how good and faithful were their dub in Kai 1.0
Hard to be faithful when the original script sucks, sometimes having a bit of fun makes the show better as long as it makes sense, in which it does.
Vegeta breaking the fourth wall saying he is the star of the show? Insulting enemy's mother? Yeah, it makes sense though I don't remember Super originally having a Deadpool like approach.
He didn't break the fourth wall. He was responding to Black, who called him an opening act.
Vegeta insulted Botamo's mother in the original language iirc.

User avatar
Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:50 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:26 pm

ALL OF MY LOVE!!! This episode was absolute fire from the cast. Marsters was at the top of his game, so much range of emotion. I really don't care he that he didn't say Son before Goku, because when he says it you can just hear in is voice "I AM 100% DONE WITH THIS!"

Vegetto was done excellently, no complaints there. "Be perfect in Hell!" was a standout line, loved it. Man even Trunks was on the ball. For me personally, Vale definitely did justice to that closing scene. I've tried very hard to not watch anything from this episode since I first saw it, and it really helped to make this episode feel about as special as that first time. In summation, I think Funi did a damn fine job with this one!

*Sigh* Well, it's been a fun ride, but sadly this was the last episode of the Future Trunks arc. It may have been a little rushed at the end, though for me, this was a good conclusion. Yep, I sure am glad that this was the end, and that there definitely isn't any more to see of this arc. :D

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:04 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by BlueVegerot » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:03 pm

DB fans are unironically bitching about masters saying "gokuuuuu" instead of "son gokuuuuuu" on social media. Apparently son is a super important word that must be used even thought only one time has the dub ever used it and that was kai.' This fucking fandom :roll:

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2017
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:05 pm

Right? Marsters was absolutely amazing in this episode and gave so much meaningful life to this complex character and this tiny minority complains that Fused Zamasu did not scream 'Son' before 'Goku'?! Get a grip and show some respect to a voice actor who put all his efforts and passion into voicing this multi-layered, two-dimensional villain. Yours is not a legitimate complaint, Yours is a petty gripe over a silly detail. It was not even a mistake, since the Super dub never used 'Son Goku'. This episode was not an exception, but followed the rule.

But, You see, there will always be people out there who have to complain about anything. And since Marsters, unsurprisingly, was perfect in this episode, they had to complain about an insignificant detail.
The power coursing through me is exceptional, glorious, absolute! Stare in awe, I am justice incarnate!

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:24 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Right? Marsters was absolutely amazing in this episode and gave so much meaningful life to this complex character and this tiny minority complains that Fused Zamasu did not scream 'Son' before 'Goku'?! Get a grip and show some respect to a voice actor who put all his efforts and passion into voicing this multi-layered, two-dimensional villain. Yours is not a legitimate complaint, Yours is a petty gripe over a silly detail. It was not even a mistake, since the Super dub never used 'Son Goku'. This episode was not an exception, but followed the rule.

But, You see, there will always be people out there who have to complain about anything. And since Marsters, unsurprisingly, was perfect in this episode, they had to complain about an insignificant detail.
I mean it's certainly not Marsters' fault, it's the script's, and I won't act like it ruined the episode, but I just thought it would have been neat for them to make an exception this one time, considering they did it once in Kai. But yes, the people who are incessantly whining about it and acting like it ruined the episode need to get over themselves.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Tournament of Power 8. 21st Budōkai 9. Broly 10. Battle of Gods 11. Boo 12. U6 Tournament 13. Freeza 14. Red Ribbon Army 15. Artificial Humans/Cell 16.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2017
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:44 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Right? Marsters was absolutely amazing in this episode and gave so much meaningful life to this complex character and this tiny minority complains that Fused Zamasu did not scream 'Son' before 'Goku'?! Get a grip and show some respect to a voice actor who put all his efforts and passion into voicing this multi-layered, two-dimensional villain. Yours is not a legitimate complaint, Yours is a petty gripe over a silly detail. It was not even a mistake, since the Super dub never used 'Son Goku'. This episode was not an exception, but followed the rule.

But, You see, there will always be people out there who have to complain about anything. And since Marsters, unsurprisingly, was perfect in this episode, they had to complain about an insignificant detail.
I mean it's certainly not Marsters' fault, it's the script's, and I won't act like it ruined the episode, but I just thought it would have been neat for them to make an exception this one time, considering they did it once in Kai. But yes, the people who are incessantly whining about it and acting like it ruined the episode need to get over themselves.
Sure, I will not deny that 'Goku' alone sounded worse than 'Son Goku', but to say that it ruined the entire episode? That's just silly.
The power coursing through me is exceptional, glorious, absolute! Stare in awe, I am justice incarnate!

Post Reply