"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:57 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:DB fans are unironically bitching about masters saying "gokuuuuu" instead of "son gokuuuuuu" on social media. Apparently son is a super important word that must be used even thought only one time has the dub ever used it and that was kai.' This fucking fandom :roll:
I really think that's complaining for the sake of complaining there. How often does the dub utilize the name "Son Goku" in comparison just mentioning "Goku"? Not much. Those fans act as if the Funimation dub regularly said "Son Goku" and that it instead chose to use "Goku" in that moment for Zamasu apropos of nothing. I thought it was executed well by Marsters.

The Super dub has been doing this a while now, but the only gripe I have for it is that I wished it was more one-to-one with script from its original Japanese counterpart like they were for the dubs on previous shows. In FighterZ for example, the English cast for characters from the Super era at times say quotes that are mostly directly from the subs of the Japanese anime (example: FighterZ SSB Vegeta saying in the game "Should I tell you where you miscalculated?" vs Super Dub SSB Vegeta saying "You want to know what your big mistake was, Black?" from Vegeta's final go-round with Black Rose).

I don't have an issue with Funimation taking a few liberties here and there, the previous dubs did that, but they take a lot more of those in the Super dub. For instance, in this dubbed episode in particular, Zamasu admits to Vegetto that the latter may be more powerful, but still isn't a god. However, Zamasu never admitted that in the original version, and he instead asserted that Vegetto's power is no match for his own because the former is a god (The English monologue for Zamasu in Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ reflects this as well). This is a minor example, as listing more would take forever :lol:

I know why Funimation is taking more liberties with the dub, I saw Sabat explain why in a video on Twitter, but still... people like more faithful adaptations, and others like more different adaptations. I just happen to be in the former group. Again, don't get me wrong though, the dub hasn't ever been exactly one-to-one with the original, but I feel that they're obfuscating the words from the original a little to often. But that's just my take on it.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Wow. That. Was. Amazing. Holy crap. Bravo to everyone involved! Easily the best dubbed episode of DB by far. The content of the episode also sat sooooo much better with me this time around too! So much more.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6560
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 pm

Honestly, it seems like 90% of the complaints about the Super dub are nitpicking at its most absolute.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Right? Marsters was absolutely amazing in this episode and gave so much meaningful life to this complex character and this tiny minority complains that Fused Zamasu did not scream 'Son' before 'Goku'?! Get a grip and show some respect to a voice actor who put all his efforts and passion into voicing this multi-layered, two-dimensional villain. Yours is not a legitimate complaint, Yours is a petty gripe over a silly detail. It was not even a mistake, since the Super dub never used 'Son Goku'. This episode was not an exception, but followed the rule.

But, You see, there will always be people out there who have to complain about anything. And since Marsters, unsurprisingly, was perfect in this episode, they had to complain about an insignificant detail.
I mean it's certainly not Marsters' fault, it's the script's, and I won't act like it ruined the episode, but I just thought it would have been neat for them to make an exception this one time, considering they did it once in Kai. But yes, the people who are incessantly whining about it and acting like it ruined the episode need to get over themselves.
It would make less sense here since to Zamasu Goku has always been that "Goku" not "Son Goku" so him randomly saying "Son Goku" would be random as hell and it would actually have taken me out the scene.

The reason the line was iconic wasn't because it was "Son Goku" but the way Miki delivered it in the Japanese.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1233
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:41 pm

I think it's just an expectation vs reality thing. They said they'd save "Son Goku" for special occasions, this one seemed special enough.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1693
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:24 am

That was awesome. Although I would have preferred Zamasu say "Son Goku", the scream that followed it more than made up for it. Zamasu sounded furious. I somehow enjoyed this episode even more than when I first watched it subbed. The DBS Funimation dub is great.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:50 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Right? Marsters was absolutely amazing in this episode and gave so much meaningful life to this complex character and this tiny minority complains that Fused Zamasu did not scream 'Son' before 'Goku'?! Get a grip and show some respect to a voice actor who put all his efforts and passion into voicing this multi-layered, two-dimensional villain. Yours is not a legitimate complaint, Yours is a petty gripe over a silly detail. It was not even a mistake, since the Super dub never used 'Son Goku'. This episode was not an exception, but followed the rule.

But, You see, there will always be people out there who have to complain about anything. And since Marsters, unsurprisingly, was perfect in this episode, they had to complain about an insignificant detail.
I mean it's certainly not Marsters' fault, it's the script's, and I won't act like it ruined the episode, but I just thought it would have been neat for them to make an exception this one time, considering they did it once in Kai. But yes, the people who are incessantly whining about it and acting like it ruined the episode need to get over themselves.
It would make less sense here since to Zamasu Goku has always been that "Goku" not "Son Goku" so him randomly saying "Son Goku" would be random as hell and it would actually have taken me out the scene.

The reason the line was iconic wasn't because it was "Son Goku" but the way Miki delivered it in the Japanese.
Agreed, it was never about the 'Son Goku' line. It was the way it was delivered that the fandom loved. The same with the the 'You again Trunks'. A very simple line, but the way Miki said it showed that Zamasu was done with Trunks at that point.

If I have one big nitpick, it's that Merged Zamasu talked about the Saiyans as a whole getting stronger than the gods, instead of how Goku specifically is everything wrong with mortals. While minor, it really shows how much Zamasu hates Goku and sees him the symbol of the gods and mortal sin. Basically, Goku is Satan to Zamasu.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I Live Here
Posts: 2640
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:16 am

Also, I loved the final sequence when Fused Zamasu was about to be cleaved in half. In the Japanese sub, he sounded confused, as if he didn't understand how a mortal could defy him, whereas in the dub he was scolding Trunks for taking up arms against a God and retaliating against divine justice. It seemed more natural.

This episode was great. The next one will be too because, obviously, Marsters is in it. But also because I am looking forward to hearing Marsters' sadistic and deranged laughter for the entirety of the first half of the episode.
Zamasu admits to Vegetto that the latter may be more powerful, but still isn't a god. However, Zamasu never admitted that in the original version, and he instead asserted that Vegetto's power is no match for his own because the former is a god
He wanted to say that, even though Goku and Vegeta got stronger by fusing, they were still no match for a God.
They take what they want by savagery and force. Their so-called society is based on nothing else. They possess neither justice nor order... They were gifted with life, brains capable of wisdom, yet they waste them completely. Should these gifts not be taken back?

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 am

Kaio_Krazy wrote:ALL OF MY LOVE!!! This episode was absolute fire from the cast. Marsters was at the top of his game, so much range of emotion. I really don't care he that he didn't say Son before Goku, because when he says it you can just hear in is voice "I AM 100% DONE WITH THIS!"

Vegetto was done excellently, no complaints there. "Be perfect in Hell!" was a standout line, loved it. Man even Trunks was on the ball. For me personally, Vale definitely did justice to that closing scene. I've tried very hard to not watch anything from this episode since I first saw it, and it really helped to make this episode feel about as special as that first time. In summation, I think Funi did a damn fine job with this one!

*Sigh* Well, it's been a fun ride, but sadly this was the last episode of the Future Trunks arc. It may have been a little rushed at the end, though for me, this was a good conclusion. Yep, I sure am glad that this was the end, and that there definitely isn't any more to see of this arc. :D
Wasn't it? Such an amazing line especially with all the divine and biblical talk of Zamasu it was the perfect line for a retort! Japanese had a boring lame "Say Goodbye" line... meh that is my biggest problem with the Japanese version such crappy dialogue at times, the dub has it it's share of awkward lines too but on the whole I think they've done a fine job making things sound better.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 am

For some reason, I adore Goku's 'Well, well' line after he melted Merged Zamasu's face. It was like Goku saying, 'this is the part where I kick your ass'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 am

Not really happy with all the liberties they've taken with Zamasu's dialogue.

User avatar
ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by ernesth100 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Repent of your arrogance. That line was so powerful it transcended my soul.

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1590
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:55 pm

That was a good ep. I've noticed a bit of a spike in criticism of the dub for this episode going around, and I think I know why. Episode 66 is one of the big "milestone" episodes of Super that a lot of people jumped onto. Either because of the fact that it was around the time the simulcast started, or just the general hype of the thing.

Many of us have the original sub dialogue of scenes in this ep practically memorised, so it sounds off when lines differ in the dub. People will say that's Funimation taking "liberties", but as I've said before, 90% of the time "liberties"="lip flaps" and changes to the intended meaning of the dialogue is either negligible or minor. Yes, sometimes they take the opportunity to flower things up a bit like Zamasu's biblical dialogue, or Vegeta's "I'm the star of this show". There, it's a case of translated subtitles tending to be dry by default and using dialogue to better convey characterisation. Dubs that just copy the subtitles verbatim tend to be bad dubs. How many here got all the way through the One Punch Man dub? Thought not.

Acting was great. Hearing Vegetto in English again was a delight, Vale nailed his final speech and Marsters walked away with the gold medal. He's cemented his status as a top-tier cast member to rival Ayres, Clarke, Douglas, et al.

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Kataphrut wrote:
Many of us have the original sub dialogue of scenes in this ep practically memorised, so it sounds off when lines differ in the dub. People will say that's Funimation taking "liberties", but as I've said before, 90% of the time "liberties"="lip flaps" and changes to the intended meaning of the dialogue is either negligible or minor. Yes, sometimes they take the opportunity to flower things up a bit like Zamasu's biblical dialogue, or Vegeta's "I'm the star of this show". There, it's a case of translated subtitles tending to be dry by default and using dialogue to better convey characterisation. Dubs that just copy the subtitles verbatim tend to be bad dubs. How many here got all the way through the One Punch Man dub? .
Agreed with underlined. BTW, I only watched One Punch Man dubbed in its entirety.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:29 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Honestly, it seems like 90% of the complaints about the Super dub are nitpicking at its most absolute.
Definitely. Ironic thing is Toei have an actual credit as "ADR approvals" or something similar so if the original creators are allowing this then fans just need to learn to chill. Feels like people are so adverse to changes due to the old dub that they're not aware changes can be good as proved by Vegetto's "be perfect in Hell" line replacing the lame "say goodbye" line of the original.

That's my biggest problem with the Japanese version, too many lame and uninspiring lines.

Kataphrut
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1590
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:52 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:
Many of us have the original sub dialogue of scenes in this ep practically memorised, so it sounds off when lines differ in the dub. People will say that's Funimation taking "liberties", but as I've said before, 90% of the time "liberties"="lip flaps" and changes to the intended meaning of the dialogue is either negligible or minor. Yes, sometimes they take the opportunity to flower things up a bit like Zamasu's biblical dialogue, or Vegeta's "I'm the star of this show". There, it's a case of translated subtitles tending to be dry by default and using dialogue to better convey characterisation. Dubs that just copy the subtitles verbatim tend to be bad dubs. How many here got all the way through the One Punch Man dub? .
Agreed with underlined. BTW, I only watched One Punch Man dubbed in its entirety.
There's always someone hahaha. I held out for that dub and got a few eps in before I realised it wasn't gripping me. Ended up watching the sub before going back months later to finish the dub and one thing that caught me was just how much of the dialogue I was hearing seemed to come directly from the sub track. Rewatch Saitama vs Boros in both languages and pay attention to how Boros' English actor is struggling to deliver some of those lines with any sort of personality ("Doing this places enormous stress on my body, similar to anaerobic exercise and as a result greatly shortens my lifespan"). Very accurate to the subs, but too wordy and not fitting with the tone of the scene, especially compared to the Japanese.

A better dub would've taken...ahem, "artistic license" and punched up the lines to make them fit better. That's what Funimation generally does and it's why I think they're one of the best dubbing companies in the biz.That's not to say their localisations are flawless, far from it especially with Super. But I think they have the right attitude to it, and I don't like it when fans of the Japanese version criticise them for making changes to the original, which often boil down to minor nitpicks.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:41 am

While I dont agree with One Punch Man, I do agree with the fact that a dub shouldnt just be babelfish/weaboo translations of the sub track. For example take this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM3t6_9N0cE

This scene was dubbed, as is, COMPLETE with Megu-nee, phrase that has no meaning to anyone not familiar with the subs. Dubs should give the same experience as the Japanese, but the emotional connection is severed because most people dont know why does she keep calling Megumi Megu-Nee. That's not the same experience. Also dubs are ALSO for introducing new people into anime. Not just a few clique circles of fans.
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7936
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:16 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Honestly, it seems like 90% of the complaints about the Super dub are nitpicking at its most absolute.
Definitely. Ironic thing is Toei have an actual credit as "ADR approvals" or something similar so if the original creators are allowing this then fans just need to learn to chill. Feels like people are so adverse to changes due to the old dub that they're not aware changes can be good as proved by Vegetto's "be perfect in Hell" line replacing the lame "say goodbye" line of the original.

That's my biggest problem with the Japanese version, too many lame and uninspiring lines.
Well, to be fair one artistic license that Funi did take that I don't agree with his changing Zamasu's speech about why he took Goku's body to 'you Saiyans are too powerful' compared to the original 'Son Goku is everything wrong with mortals' since it's far more personal, fits with Zamasu being triggered over losing a sparring match, and builds off of his 'relationship' with Goku.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
jeffbr92
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1349
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:49 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm

mint0h wrote:Wow, they ruined Zamasu's "Son Goku!" scream, er, in the dub's context, the "GOKU!" scream.
It's like they forget Goku has a family name.
I agree and though Masters was pulling a decent Zamasu on this arc, too bad he wasted the chance of turning this iconic like the original.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3967
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Correction. Trying to erase Goku's surname. I wish Masters was like Schemmel and said "Son Goku" despite not being in the script. I would love him forever if he had.
MyVisionity wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:52 pm
It's ill-fitting for me. Dragon Ball is not a bedtime story. And "laid-back old man" is not how I would describe Yanami's narrator. To me he sounds like the kind of uncle that shows up to the birthday party with loads of fruit punch soda and stuffs himself with pizza and ice cream, or takes you out on his boat at the lake in the summer and goes skinny dipping or something.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Post Reply