"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by wjbraden » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:41 am

Xeogran wrote:
mint0h wrote:I have to say, Funimation's rendition of "Evil Angel and Righteous Devil" is not half bad, pretty good.

Can't wait to hear the full versions for ED6 and this one.
Full versions are never happening.
He means the full 1 minute version, the Toonami version was cut to 30 seconds. The "full" version will show up on the DVD.

Anyway, yeah, I agree, they did a great job with ED 7. I really hope they dub OP 2 and knock it out of the park.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:33 am

wjbraden wrote:
Xeogran wrote:
mint0h wrote:I have to say, Funimation's rendition of "Evil Angel and Righteous Devil" is not half bad, pretty good.

Can't wait to hear the full versions for ED6 and this one.
Full versions are never happening.
He means the full 1 minute version, the Toonami version was cut to 30 seconds. The "full" version will show up on the DVD.

Anyway, yeah, I agree, they did a great job with ED 7. I really hope they dub OP 2 and knock it out of the park.
It's either that, or Toei's gonna have the Japanese singer do a half-assed English version again for international markets.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:23 am

Why exactly does FUNimation even bother dubbing the openings and endings when, to my knowledge, most anime dubs seem to just stick with the Japanese lyrics?

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:19 pm

WittyUsername wrote:Why exactly does FUNimation even bother dubbing the openings and endings when, to my knowledge, most anime dubs seem to just stick with the Japanese lyrics?
Because why not have a theme song we know the lyrics to? I actually kinda like it when dubs do that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:32 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Why exactly does FUNimation even bother dubbing the openings and endings when, to my knowledge, most anime dubs seem to just stick with the Japanese lyrics?
Because why not have a theme song we know the lyrics to? I actually kinda like it when dubs do that.
It just seems like it wouldn’t be worth the trouble, given how many ending themes Super has. Does FUNimation still do that for their other dubs?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:56 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
It just seems like it wouldn’t be worth the trouble, given how many ending themes Super has. Does FUNimation still do that for their other dubs?
Not in many of their dubs, to my knowledge. They first started doing it for One Piece after they did it for Dragon Ball & continued to do it, but then stopped due to troubles being able to secure to produce English covers from the record companies in Japan, so they stopped doing it. Dragon Ball continued doing it with Kai, then they just stopped, since TFC had an English theme song already for international airings & home releases, & Super has at least 1 theme song with an English version. We'll know if Limit Break X Survivor has an English version, but if they haven't revealed it yet, I don't know. I kinda hope they do get the rights to translate it into English for the dub, then they can have Vic Mignogna come back & perform another excellent theme song cover.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
uncutpokemon wrote:
Not in many of their dubs, to my knowledge. They first started doing it for One Piece after they did it for Dragon Ball & continued to do it, but then stopped due to troubles being able to secure to produce English covers from the record companies in Japan, so they stopped doing it. Dragon Ball continued doing it with Kai, then they just stopped, since TFC had an English theme song already for international airings & home releases, & Super has at least 1 theme song with an English version. We'll know if Limit Break X Survivor has an English version, but if they haven't revealed it yet, I don't know. I kinda hope they do get the rights to translate it into English for the dub, then they can have Vic Mignogna come back & perform another excellent theme song cover.
I know they did English covers for Yu Yu Hakusho, but that was when they were still in their early years.

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mint0h » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Barry Kahn is voiced by Rob McCollum, who voiced Goten in GT and Buu Kai. That is really funny.

Cocoa Amaguri is voiced by Bryn Apprill, who I don't think I've heard of until recently. Most notably, she voiced Cyan in SBR and Ritsu in AssClass.

Speaking of Show By Rock...
I only know of a few Funimation shows were the OP/ED were dubbed (or at least, some of them):
Case Closed
Show By Rock
Negima
Yu Yu Hakusho
Dragon Ball/GT/Kai/Super
One Piece

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:30 pm

mint0h wrote:Barry Kahn is voiced by Rob McCollum, who voiced Goten in GT and Buu Kai. That is really funny.

Cocoa Amaguri is voiced by Bryn Apprill, who I don't think I've heard of until recently. Most notably, she voiced Cyan in SBR and Ritsu in AssClass.

Speaking of Show By Rock...
I only know of a few Funimation shows were the OP/ED were dubbed (or at least, some of them):
Case Closed
Show By Rock
Negima
Yu Yu Hakusho
Dragon Ball/GT/Kai/Super
One Piece
Was hoping Apprill would be one of the ToP Magical girls. Well I guess she still could.

Still hoping Viktorin can voice a character in DBS

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:19 pm

Jean0987654321 wrote:
supersaiyandoctor wrote:Only a few weeks till the 2nd opening is used. I wonder if it will be dubbed.
Oh, it will. I wouldn't be surprised if Mark De Groot will do the 2nd OP this time
It'll be dubbed, no chance in hell Mark de Groot will record it though.

Love Rob McCollum being Barry. Glad to see he's still involved with FUNi in a Dragon Ball capacity. Hopefully if we ever get older Goten/ks or a continuation of GT, he'll reprise his role. Always liked his work as Goten

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Always fun to see Gohan go full Saiyaman. Such a loveable dork.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:15 pm

Is there a date for ToP arc debut?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 pm

Noah wrote:Is there a date for ToP arc debut?
August 25th

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:44 pm

And the Tournament itself will begin no earlier than January 5th. Toonami's breaks will, of course, push this back to later in the year though.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:02 pm

shadowmaria wrote:And the Tournament itself will begin no earlier than January 5th. Toonami's breaks will, of course, push this back to later in the year though.
I still think it's an odd choice for them to only screen the upcoming film in dub format when those who only watch the dub won't be caught up to the end of the series by then.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:And the Tournament itself will begin no earlier than January 5th. Toonami's breaks will, of course, push this back to later in the year though.
I still think it's an odd choice for them to only screen the upcoming film in dub format when those who only watch the dub won't be caught up to the end of the series by then.
Dude, they're screening it in sub format, too! Did people not get that memo?!
Caulifla best girl! :)

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:18 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
It's not FUNimation's fault that Toriyama and Toei Animation are both pushing for as close to worldwide release as possible, or that not everyone has watched the sub

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 pm

The point was that the majority of people who will know what's going on in the movie's time period would either be okay with watching it subbed or actively prefer it subbed, and Funimation isn't offering that version.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Dude, they're screening it in sub format, too! Did people not get that memo?!
They're not, actually. They tweeted that, but it was apparently a fuckup, since they had to go back on it later and say "well actually we'll be offering subbed versions through other avenues" or whatever, which is just PRspeak for "fuck you buy the DVD".

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:53 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:
It's not FUNimation's fault that Toriyama and Toei Animation are both pushing for as close to worldwide release as possible, or that not everyone has watched the sub
I don't blame FUNimation, I blame Toei for not letting them screen it in sub format. I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of English speaking fans have a preference for the dub or the sub, people like myself who enjoy both versions are a minority. Meaning that the decision caters to very few people, those who only watch the dub won't be caught up, and those who only watch the sub will either have to stomach the dub or wait until the home release.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:37 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
If Toei ever cared about the release dates of DB material, we would've gotten Battle of Gods earlier, Super would've started being simulcast earlier than it was, & we would've gotten a simuldub like what Attack On Titan has, but no. Toei sucks.