"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:44 am
Location: Midlands, UK

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:28 pm

If Super is indeed coming back, Funimation will likely be inundated with the question "are you Simuldubbing this time?" to which sadly, the answer will be "we can't".
The only way it could ever be achievable is if they negotiated a contract with Toei where by they agreed to air 2 episodes a week up until the point where they catch up to Japan, and drop back to weekly - I don't see adult swim having any problems with it, it just depends on what Funimation can produce, and what Toei will agree to.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:12 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:If Super is indeed coming back, Funimation will likely be inundated with the question "are you Simuldubbing this time?" to which sadly, the answer will be "we can't".
The only way it could ever be achievable is if they negotiated a contract with Toei where by they agreed to air 2 episodes a week up until the point where they catch up to Japan, and drop back to weekly - I don't see adult swim having any problems with it, it just depends on what Funimation can produce, and what Toei will agree to.
Like I've said, having a few month lag time would still be ok. It's actually beneficial as well, since the dub team can cast characters better, as well as have better voice acting, than if they simuldubbed it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1094
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Planet Sadla

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:12 pm

So, I made a thread about this topic, and no one really responded to this, because I guess it doesn't really fit as a thread discussion, so I figured, I'll just ask it on this thread, because I still need people's thoughts on this. So, when the 1 hour special, Episodes 109 and 110, come out on Toonami, will they air the full 1 hour special that originally aired in Japan (in English of course), or will they do what Crunchyroll did, and cut it up into 2 episodes aired in 2 separate weeks?
Caulifla best girl! :)

User avatar
CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by CTAkuma » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:So, I made a thread about this topic, and no one really responded to this, because I guess it doesn't really fit as a thread discussion, so I figured, I'll just ask it on this thread, because I still need people's thoughts on this. So, when the 1 hour special, Episodes 109 and 110, come out on Toonami, will they air the full 1 hour special that originally aired in Japan (in English of course), or will they do what Crunchyroll did, and cut it up into 2 episodes aired in 2 separate weeks?
Into 2 epsidoes since they like to dripfeed content a lot

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7608
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Has Dameon Clarke voiced Paragus on Movie 8 dub?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Noah wrote:Has Dameon Clarke voiced Paragus on Movie 8 dub?
Yes.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1094
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Planet Sadla

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:28 pm

Okay, so Episode 81 is about to air in a couple of minutes and in this episode, we get to hear more of Ray Hurd as Toppo, oh I'm sorry, Top. (I still hate that name change) Not only that, we get to hear a glimpse at him portraying the Great Saiyaman-esque character we all know and love(?), you know before his God of Destruction, so I'm definitely interested on how he handles that personality.
Caulifla best girl! :)

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3836
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Its NOT A NAME CHANGE. Many people have already said that Toppo was suposed to be Pot backwards. If the extra P didnt reveal the idiocy, the fact that many experts in the field of DB and Japanese language have explained that Toppo is pronounced that way due to the way the japanese language works and that It would be stupid to keep a name mistranslated just because people feeñ its "cooler" or whatever.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheQuazz » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:49 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its NOT A NAME CHANGE. Many people have already said that Toppo was suposed to be Pot backwards. If the extra P didnt reveal the idiocy, the fact that many experts in the field of DB and Japanese language have explained that Toppo is pronounced that way due to the way the japanese language works and that It would be stupid to keep a name mistranslated just because people feeñ its "cooler" or whatever.
Funimation kept the fan-translated "Zamasu" and "Gowasu" though... Pretty inconsistent if you ask me.

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mooreish » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:08 pm

IS CLOWN GUY BLACK!!!???

User avatar
shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadowmaria » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:28 pm

TheQuazz wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its NOT A NAME CHANGE. Many people have already said that Toppo was suposed to be Pot backwards. If the extra P didnt reveal the idiocy, the fact that many experts in the field of DB and Japanese language have explained that Toppo is pronounced that way due to the way the japanese language works and that It would be stupid to keep a name mistranslated just because people feeñ its "cooler" or whatever.
Funimation kept the fan-translated "Zamasu" and "Gowasu" though... Pretty inconsistent if you ask me.
Except that is their names in Japan. No fan translation about it

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mooreish » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:29 pm

Yep, apparently the voice actor for vermoud is a black guy. Markus Lloyd.

User avatar
RedHeat
Regular
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by RedHeat » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:24 am

CLOWN????!!! IS HE BLACK?????
Feels over Reals.

User avatar
Simere
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1464
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Simere » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:26 am

Why can't this dub stop adding in insults that don't belong?

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mooreish » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:30 am

RedHeat wrote:CLOWN????!!! IS HE BLACK?????
APPARENTLY!!!!!!!!

User avatar
shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:52 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadd21 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:09 am

Simere wrote:Why can't this dub stop adding in insults that don't belong?
When did this happen?

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 pm
Location: Rotterdam

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by MrTennek » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:32 am

I don't even know where to begin with Belmond's VA...Just...what the hell were Funimation thinking??

Also, was it just me, or did Schemmel sound kind of hoarse / raspy throughout the episode?

User avatar
Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:50 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:52 am

Okay, Top's voice was killing me, cause I realized it sounded so familiar to me. I just figured it out now, he sounds like a discount Keith David (Goliath from Gargoyles as well as many other things) and now I kinda wish actual Keith David was Top. :lol:

User avatar
Simere
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1464
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Simere » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:56 am

shadd21 wrote:
Simere wrote:Why can't this dub stop adding in insults that don't belong?
When did this happen?
Constantly, but I assume you just mean this episode:
Wasn't happy about this either:

Mooreish
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mooreish » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:57 am

Kaio_Krazy wrote:Okay, Top's voice was killing me, cause I realized it sounded so familiar to me. I just figured it out now, he sounds like a discount Keith David (Goliath from Gargoyles as well as many other things) and now I kinda wish actual Keith David was Top. :lol:
...but what about black mod?

Post Reply