"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:21 am

Simere wrote:
Wasn't happy about this either:
That first change, I can see why you'd think it was an insult. Realistically, it just seems more like banter to me. They both mean the same exact thing in the end, i.e. Goku wants to fight & is cocky about it. Granted, the banter IS more insulting than the original translation, but in the heat of a battle, I think it makes sense.

That second one isn't an insult at all. It's more of an observation. Also, it's true, though. Goku's a weird guy who does weird things. It's a liberty, but one that still makes sense in the context of the show & franchise.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Jaden
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 4:25 pm
Location: Canada

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jaden » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:48 am

Lmao they made Vermoud black :lol:
Now that I think of it, would be cool to hear an Asian Marcarita , because why the hell not?

On a side note, Jiren's VA hasn't been revealed yet, has he? If I could recruit someone to dub Jiren I'd probably choose Kevin Grevioux. He did an incredible job voicing Black Beetle in Young Justice. Besides I think his deep voice suits a character like Jiren.

Do it Funimation! I am counting on you!

User avatar
Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Dubai

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kogu 87 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:09 am

Jaden wrote:Lmao they made Vermoud black :lol:
Now that I think of it, would be cool to hear an Asian Marcarita , because why the hell not?

On a side note, Jiren's VA hasn't been revealed yet, has he? If I could recruit someone to dub Jiren I'd probably choose Kevin Grevioux. He did an incredible job voicing Black Beetle in Young Justice. Besides I think his deep voice suits a character like Jiren.

Do it Funimation! I am counting on you!
Vin Diesel for Jiren, this has to happen.
"Oh dear...."

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:53 am

Didn't Patrick Seitz voice Jiren in XV2? He's a good fit for the character.

Kataphrut
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:05 am

What's weird is that Patrick Seitz' take on Jiren in Xenoverse 2 sounded bombastic enough that people thought it should've been Top. And what little we heard of Ray Hurd up until the end of this latest episode was quite serious and deep. It's almost like they should've been swapped.

On the other hand, the XV2 version of Jiren was massively out of character and Patrick Seitz plays Endeavour in MHA fantastically, so he should be able to deliver the goods as Jiren. As for Hurd, we'll get a better picture of him next week. He should be able to handle hammy Top fine.

User avatar
DestructoDisc
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DestructoDisc » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:29 am

Lmao I got good laughs out of the Clown God's voice. Funimation probably decided to do this because in the Toei version he was nothing more than an inconsistent, repetitive, annoying character with no personality.

User avatar
Xeogran
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1940
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:33 am

DestructoDisc wrote:Funimation probably decided to do this because in the Toei version he was nothing more than an inconsistent, repetitive, annoying character with no personality.
And a voice is not going to change that, besides "haha muh funny style of talking i laugh evry time"

His role was to be the boss of the boss (U11), not someone to laugh at.

User avatar
MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:08 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:08 am

DestructoDisc wrote:Lmao I got good laughs out of the Clown God's voice. Funimation probably decided to do this because in the Toei version he was nothing more than an inconsistent, repetitive, annoying character with no personality.
...... He was pretty clearly depicted as a passive God of Destruction confident in the justice of his own universe, with a strong belief in Jiren's character and morals, and a willingness to allow the Pride Troopers to do what they thought best. I understand it's quite one-dimensional, sure, and it's nowhere near as shifty as the manga depicted him, but Velmod had something going for him beforehand at least.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7566
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Simere wrote:
That second one isn't an insult at all. It's more of an observation. Also, it's true, though. Goku's a weird guy who does weird things. It's a liberty, but one that still makes sense in the context of the show & franchise.
No it doesn't, why change Champa commenting about Goku's limit to him making a pointless comment about Goku being weird?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:42 pm

I’m going to need to wait to hear more before I form an opinion on Vermound/Belmont/whatever’s dub voice. At the very least, it’s nice to see that FUNimation’s pool of actors isn’t just all white people.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 pm
Location: Rotterdam

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by MrTennek » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:47 pm

WittyUsername wrote:it’s nice to see that FUNimation’s pool of actors isn’t just all white people.
What does race have to do with any of this?

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:49 pm

MrTennek wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:it’s nice to see that FUNimation’s pool of actors isn’t just all white people.
What does race have to do with any of this?
I wasn’t trying to make a big deal out of anything. It was an offhand remark is all. I was simply pointing it out because FUNimation hasn’t had the best track record when it comes to depicting black people, considering how they handled Killa. There’s no need to get worked up over it.

Also, I should just point out that I’m not the first one here to point out that Vermound is voiced by a black guy, so why are you going after me?

Kataphrut
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1467
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Most of the discourse I've seen on Twitter about this dub is over Champa's line change about Goku (from "his limits are unfathomable" to "he's just a weird guy who does weird things") and Goku and Gohan's banter about teamwork, ending with Gohan saying "no pressure dad", as opposed to "I'll try to reach your expectations dad". Not as many are talking about Vermoud's voice, likely because nobody wants to be the one to try and explain why that's a problem. Because it isn't.

Also, what's not a problem are these line changes. I've said before, getting worked up over small changes like this only makes it harder to take seriously when a genuinely problematic change comes up. It's "The boy who cried Yamcha" problem. In this case, the Champa change seems arbitrary, but given how much the idea of characters having impossible limits or going beyond their limits is going to come up in this arc, I don't have a problem with swapping out a cookie-cutter line for something that expresses a bit of personality.

It's similar for the Goku/Gohan thing, with the added issue that their relationship is a sensitive topic so anything that might be seen as making fun of it or painting it as something other than 100% positive comes with an agenda. I don't have a problem with Gohan's line, it matches the weird frowny face he has in that scene, and in real human discourse, being snarky at someone doesn't mean you hate them or don't respect them. If anything, the real problem with that scene is Goku's line, which stretches out the teamwork talk to a gag and Schemmel totally overdoes it with the goofy delivery.

User avatar
The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:33 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Most of the discourse I've seen on Twitter about this dub is over Champa's line change about Goku (from "his limits are unfathomable" to "he's just a weird guy who does weird things") and Goku and Gohan's banter about teamwork, ending with Gohan saying "no pressure dad", as opposed to "I'll try to reach your expectations dad". Not as many are talking about Vermoud's voice, likely because nobody wants to be the one to try and explain why that's a problem. Because it isn't.

Also, what's not a problem are these line changes. I've said before, getting worked up over small changes like this only makes it harder to take seriously when a genuinely problematic change comes up. It's "The boy who cried Yamcha" problem. In this case, the Champa change seems arbitrary, but given how much the idea of characters having impossible limits or going beyond their limits is going to come up in this arc, I don't have a problem with swapping out a cookie-cutter line for something that expresses a bit of personality.

It's similar for the Goku/Gohan thing, with the added issue that their relationship is a sensitive topic so anything that might be seen as making fun of it or painting it as something other than 100% positive comes with an agenda. I don't have a problem with Gohan's line, it matches the weird frowny face he has in that scene, and in real human discourse, being snarky at someone doesn't mean you hate them or don't respect them. If anything, the real problem with that scene is Goku's line, which stretches out the teamwork talk to a gag and Schemmel totally overdoes it with the goofy delivery.
Well its weird when I see people say the Funi have gone back to their old way of dubbing when honestly the scenes they pick out as bad (Well the donuts scene I can understand) aren't really bad or damaging to the show. I still feel like I'm watching the same show.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7766
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:43 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Most of the discourse I've seen on Twitter about this dub is over Champa's line change about Goku (from "his limits are unfathomable" to "he's just a weird guy who does weird things") and Goku and Gohan's banter about teamwork, ending with Gohan saying "no pressure dad", as opposed to "I'll try to reach your expectations dad". Not as many are talking about Vermoud's voice, likely because nobody wants to be the one to try and explain why that's a problem. Because it isn't.

Also, what's not a problem are these line changes. I've said before, getting worked up over small changes like this only makes it harder to take seriously when a genuinely problematic change comes up. It's "The boy who cried Yamcha" problem. In this case, the Champa change seems arbitrary, but given how much the idea of characters having impossible limits or going beyond their limits is going to come up in this arc, I don't have a problem with swapping out a cookie-cutter line for something that expresses a bit of personality.

It's similar for the Goku/Gohan thing, with the added issue that their relationship is a sensitive topic so anything that might be seen as making fun of it or painting it as something other than 100% positive comes with an agenda. I don't have a problem with Gohan's line, it matches the weird frowny face he has in that scene, and in real human discourse, being snarky at someone doesn't mean you hate them or don't respect them. If anything, the real problem with that scene is Goku's line, which stretches out the teamwork talk to a gag and Schemmel totally overdoes it with the goofy delivery.
I can understand the Gohan one since it does slightly change how Gohan acts to his father. One is respectful, while the other is more annoyed. Granted, I always saw Gohan being annoyed in the sub since Goku dumped a ton of responsible on him and I could see rolling his eyes during that scene, but Gohan was sincere.

The Champa one is just a nitpick. Like I thought Sean's challenged to the gods sounded too playful compared to JP Goku who was more of a dick about it, but I'm not going to say Sean screwed up the scene because of it. I actually had more issue with the 'through the roof' line over 'unlimited'. Finally on the Champa line. I always found it odd that Champa's answer about why Goku was the way he was talked about his limits. It always seemed unrelated to the question and I think the dub flows better.

Not sure what you mean about Scean goofy delivery.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:01 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I wasn’t trying to make a big deal out of anything. It was an offhand remark is all. I was simply pointing it out because FUNimation hasn’t had the best track record when it comes to depicting black people, considering how they handled Killa. There’s no need to get worked up over it.

Also, I should just point out that I’m not the first one here to point out that Vermound is voiced by a black guy, so why are you going after me?
Ok, 1. Saying, & I quote, "it’s nice to see that FUNimation’s pool of actors isn’t just all white people" is going to get a response just for the fact that it implies there's something wrong with a workforce being predominantly a certain race, regardless of your intent with your statement. Many people this day & age think there's something wrong with that, even though that's how this kind of stuff works in countries like the US, with how diversity percentages work here. You shouldn't act all surprised when someone has a problem with that choice of words, especially in this political climate.
2. FUNi's pool of VAs are predominantly white, though they have some actors of other races working for them. Considering in voice acting, you only need to sound the part, this isn't much of an issue unless people make it an issue. Considering anime rarely has more than one race of people in them, this also isn't much of an issue. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
3. You aren't the first person to bring it up, but your phrasing implies there's something wrong with them not apparently having more black actors in their pool. That's the problem here. Considering FUNi hires non-white actors as well, especially with them being located in Texas, I'd say it's not surprising for them to have hired this man, especially since there are dozens of new characters in this arc that need voices.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Scsigs wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:I wasn’t trying to make a big deal out of anything. It was an offhand remark is all. I was simply pointing it out because FUNimation hasn’t had the best track record when it comes to depicting black people, considering how they handled Killa. There’s no need to get worked up over it.

Also, I should just point out that I’m not the first one here to point out that Vermound is voiced by a black guy, so why are you going after me?
Ok, 1. Saying, & I quote, "it’s nice to see that FUNimation’s pool of actors isn’t just all white people" is going to get a response just for the fact that it implies there's something wrong with a workforce being predominantly a certain race, regardless of your intent with your statement. Many people this day & age think there's something wrong with that, even though that's how this kind of stuff works in countries like the US, with how diversity percentages work here. You shouldn't act all surprised when someone has a problem with that choice of words, especially in this political climate.
2. FUNi's pool of VAs are predominantly white, though they have some actors of other races working for them. Considering in voice acting, you only need to sound the part, this isn't much of an issue unless people make it an issue. Considering anime rarely has more than one race of people in them, this also isn't much of an issue. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
3. You aren't the first person to bring it up, but your phrasing implies there's something wrong with them not apparently having more black actors in their pool. That's the problem here. Considering FUNi hires non-white actors as well, especially with them being located in Texas, I'd say it's not surprising for them to have hired this man, especially since there are dozens of new characters in this arc that need voices.
1. Again, I said that because FUNimation hasn’t had the best track record when it comes to these things. They’re the same company that gave us this (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-KbeoOyf8vw). I was simply expressing the belief that it’s nice how those days are presumably behind them. What “political climate” are you even talking about? I really don’t give a crap about politics. All I know is that Texas is a pretty diverse state.
2. I didn’t say race was ever a requirement for voice acting (although getting a black person to voice a black character is preferable to having someone else do it). Again, I was simply making an off hand remark.
3. I didn’t imply anything beyond what you want to hear. I am not familiar with FUNimation’s pool of actors because I don’t watch anime, and I’m generally of the opinion that anime is mostly just a bunch of creepy/perverted garbage. I don’t know how many black actors they have at FUNimation, and prior to today, I was under the impression that they were almost entirely white people. That’s why I remarked on it being nice that there apparently are people of other races who work over at FUNimation. I definitely wasn’t trying to get political. I despise politics.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 pm
Location: Rotterdam

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by MrTennek » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:33 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:it’s nice to see that FUNimation’s pool of actors isn’t just all white people.
What does race have to do with any of this?
I wasn’t trying to make a big deal out of anything. It was an offhand remark is all. I was simply pointing it out because FUNimation hasn’t had the best track record when it comes to depicting black people, considering how they handled Killa. There’s no need to get worked up over it.

Also, I should just point out that I’m not the first one here to point out that Vermound is voiced by a black guy, so why are you going after me?
Wow. Persecution complex much? All I did was ask a simple question. :eh:

WittyUsername
I Live Here
Posts: 2471
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:41 pm

MrTennek wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
What does race have to do with any of this?
I wasn’t trying to make a big deal out of anything. It was an offhand remark is all. I was simply pointing it out because FUNimation hasn’t had the best track record when it comes to depicting black people, considering how they handled Killa. There’s no need to get worked up over it.

Also, I should just point out that I’m not the first one here to point out that Vermound is voiced by a black guy, so why are you going after me?
Wow. Persecution complex much? All I did was ask a simple question. :eh:
I’d hardly define it as a “simple” question, since things are never simple when it comes to race, and I generally try to avoid politics like the plague. No, race doesn’t have to do with anything. Dragon Ball is just some silly comic/cartoon series from a homogeneous country like Japan, so race doesn’t factor into it at all. I was just saying that it’s nice that FUNimation seems to have moved on from these days (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-KbeoOyf8vw) is all.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2774
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:25 pm

WittyUsername wrote:1. Again, I said that because FUNimation hasn’t had the best track record when it comes to these things. They’re the same company that gave us this (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-KbeoOyf8vw). I was simply expressing the belief that it’s nice how those days are presumably behind them. What “political climate” are you even talking about? I really don’t give a crap about politics. All I know is that Texas is a pretty diverse state.
2. I didn’t say race was ever a requirement for voice acting (although getting a black person to voice a black character is preferable to having someone else do it). Again, I was simply making an off hand remark.
3. I didn’t imply anything beyond what you want to hear. I am not familiar with FUNimation’s pool of actors because I don’t watch anime, and I’m generally of the opinion that anime is mostly just a bunch of creepy/perverted garbage. I don’t know how many black actors they have at FUNimation, and prior to today, I was under the impression that they were almost entirely white people. That’s why I remarked on it being nice that there apparently are people of other races who work over at FUNimation. I definitely wasn’t trying to get political. I despise politics.
I semi agree with the first thing, but rarely do any shows or movies they license have a diverse cast of characters, so they don't probably have a big pool of actors to pull from who want to voice in an anime dub in Texas. Sure, they could work on it, but I refer to my previous sentence. On one of the One Piece DVDs, though, for the last pre-timeskip arc, they had a behind the scenes thing with some of the secondary actors & one of the guys was black, which I thought was interesting, since his character was one of the hybrid human mutant people in the series, but that's not what I always expect from voice acting in general.

No, but like I said, it's a topic that's been brought up elsewhere in political-type discussions about race & such. I mean, most people probably don't give much of a shit about who voices characters in an animated project as long as they sound the part.

I know you didn't intend any implications. The fact that it was clearly, as you say, an off-hand remark shows that. However, as I said, you really shouldn't be surprised if someone thinks you mean something more from your statement. It's one thing to say the actor is black, but it's a whole 'nother can of worms to say, "it’s nice to see that FUNimation’s pool of actors isn’t just all white people." That just comes off as someone thinking there's a problem where there isn't. And I mentioned politics only because there's a LOT of social justice nuts who think it's wrong that there aren't more non-whites in acting roles, but don't take into account that the amount of actors of different races roughly matches the general amount of diversity in the US. They use wording like that when implying there's a problem with it, hence why it comes off as it did. I know politics is stage-4 cancer right now, but that's why people are quick to shut down that kind of talk, since it's more effective not to say things like that & just let things like that go without being noticed because it helps normalize things. That's all I meant right there. I wasn't accusing you of anything, I was trying to help you understand the situation, since you didn't seem to understand it right away.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Post Reply