"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
TheOne
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheOne » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:Probably already been mentioned in this thread, but who else hates the way Funimation chose to pronounce Toppo's name?
To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.
My thing is, they should consider the consistency of pronunciation, but they should also put into consideration of what simply sounds good. Toppo sounds way better than Top. They also didn't choose to drop the u in Zamasu, so we already know they're not consistent.
If you’re familiar with how the military is ran, Top isn’t a bad name. The leader of enlisted soldiers is referred to as Top.

Seeing as how Pride Troopers are based off a hero squad, Top makes perfect sense seeing as how he’s the Leader of the team. You all probably won’t care or even understand, but some of us don’t mind it.
How i predict the tournament will end:

User avatar
Nokra
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 pm
Location: Transcendent Realm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Alright guys, so with Episode 83 coming out this week, anyone else hope Funimation will finally start calling Vegeta's daughter Bra, and finally end the days of "Bulla"? I don't see any problem with them doing it at this point since they're going to call a character Top, and have it perfectly match the lip flaps, and use the word "bitch" every 5 or so episodes. At this point, there's just absolutely no excuse for them not to call her Bra. They can say whatever the fuck they want now (Excuse my language), they're shortening names but still having them perfectly match the lip flaps. It's time to drop "Bulla", guys, there's no point in calling her that anymore. Call her Bra, simple as that. Sorry I kinda went on a rant there guys, I just had to get this off my chest. And also start a discussion on this topic. With that said, give me you guys' thoughts on this!
They called her "Bulla" even in the subbed version. Also most dub fans know her as bulls so I don't seem them changing it just to appeal "Bra" fans lol

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Nokra wrote:They called her "Bulla" even in the subbed version. Also most dub fans know her as bulls so I don't seem them changing it just to appeal "Bra" fans lol
When was she ever called "bulls"? Also, there are two official sub versions: Toei's subs, which appear on services like FuniNow, Crunchyroll, and AnimeLab, that use Funi terminology most of the time; and the Simmons subs, which are only available on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. I'm fairly sure that the Simmons subs of the episode in question will call her Bra.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
Nokra
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 pm
Location: Transcendent Realm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nokra » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:18 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
Nokra wrote:They called her "Bulla" even in the subbed version. Also most dub fans know her as bulls so I don't seem them changing it just to appeal "Bra" fans lol
When was she ever called "bulls"? Also, there are two official sub versions: Toei's subs, which appear on services like FuniNow, Crunchyroll, and AnimeLab, that use Funi terminology most of the time; and the Simmons subs, which are only available on the DVDs and Blu-Rays. I'm fairly sure that the Simmons subs of the episode in question will call her Bra.
I met "Bulla" not "Bulls". Also I was mostly referring to the dub calling her Bulla even though the crunchyroll sub called her Bulla too.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Why do they keep adding these disgusting echo effects in the screams now?

User avatar
ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1365
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:29 pm

TheOne wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Scsigs wrote: To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.
My thing is, they should consider the consistency of pronunciation, but they should also put into consideration of what simply sounds good. Toppo sounds way better than Top. They also didn't choose to drop the u in Zamasu, so we already know they're not consistent.
If you’re familiar with how the military is ran, Top isn’t a bad name. The leader of enlisted soldiers is referred to as Top.

Seeing as how Pride Troopers are based off a hero squad, Top makes perfect sense seeing as how he’s the Leader of the team. You all probably won’t care or even understand, but some of us don’t mind it.
My JROTC instructors were referred as "Top," so I can vouch this.

I'm not sure Toriyama or Toyotaro was even aware of the lingo, but the coincidence is amusing.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

User avatar
The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Patrolman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:33 am

Doctor. wrote:Why do they keep adding these disgusting echo effects in the screams now?
Now? They been doing that since Kai. Didn't Z Japanese do that as well? Getting to your point its probably to add more impact to the screams.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10529
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:40 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Why do they keep adding these disgusting echo effects in the screams now?
Now? They been doing that since Kai. Didn't Z Japanese do that as well? Getting to your point its probably to add more impact to the screams.
Japanese Z did it but they were actually like a real echo in an empty room. Here it seems like they just overlay two voice tracks over one another. It sounds bad.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10201
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Doctor. wrote:Why do they keep adding these disgusting echo effects in the screams now?
Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time yeah it doesn't. Initially I wasn't too bothered by it when it first happened in the BoG arc but by now it is definitely annoying.

User avatar
Nokra
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 pm
Location: Transcendent Realm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Nokra » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm

Doctor. wrote:Why do they keep adding these disgusting echo effects in the screams now?
What echos?

User avatar
Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Dubai

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kogu 87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 am

I love the echo. It adds a lot more impact to the action going on screen.
"Oh dear...."

User avatar
Noah
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7455
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 am

It's quite silly to name a character Top when the arc is addressed by same way :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7755
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Why do they keep adding these disgusting echo effects in the screams now?
Sometimes it works, but a lot of the time yeah it doesn't. Initially I wasn't too bothered by it when it first happened in the BoG arc but by now it is definitely annoying.
I like the echoes, my problem is that they been using it too much so it feels less special.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Simere
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Simere » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:04 am

TheOne wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Scsigs wrote: To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.
My thing is, they should consider the consistency of pronunciation, but they should also put into consideration of what simply sounds good. Toppo sounds way better than Top. They also didn't choose to drop the u in Zamasu, so we already know they're not consistent.
If you’re familiar with how the military is ran, Top isn’t a bad name. The leader of enlisted soldiers is referred to as Top.

Seeing as how Pride Troopers are based off a hero squad, Top makes perfect sense seeing as how he’s the Leader of the team. You all probably won’t care or even understand, but some of us don’t mind it.
Of course I don't care about a coincidental linguistic similarity. But do you know why I like Jiren? Because I love Gandalf.

User avatar
Tian
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:21 pm
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tian » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:18 am

Noah wrote:It's quite silly to name a character Top when the arc is addressed by same way :)
The same thing happens with King Vegeta, Planet Vegeta and Vegeta :lol:
[Enter a cool signature here]

User avatar
TheOne
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheOne » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Simere wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:
My thing is, they should consider the consistency of pronunciation, but they should also put into consideration of what simply sounds good. Toppo sounds way better than Top. They also didn't choose to drop the u in Zamasu, so we already know they're not consistent.
If you’re familiar with how the military is ran, Top isn’t a bad name. The leader of enlisted soldiers is referred to as Top.

Seeing as how Pride Troopers are based off a hero squad, Top makes perfect sense seeing as how he’s the Leader of the team. You all probably won’t care or even understand, but some of us don’t mind it.
Of course I don't care about a coincidental linguistic similarity. But do you know why I like Jiren? Because I love Gandalf.
Yeah guys like you probably can’t appreciate something like that. It’s fine though. Whether or not it’s a coincidence, it’s very possible it was intentional. You’ll probably never know the truth, so go ahead and believe whatever you like.
How i predict the tournament will end:

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 pm
Location: Rotterdam

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by MrTennek » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 pm

TheOne wrote:
Simere wrote:
TheOne wrote: If you’re familiar with how the military is ran, Top isn’t a bad name. The leader of enlisted soldiers is referred to as Top.

Seeing as how Pride Troopers are based off a hero squad, Top makes perfect sense seeing as how he’s the Leader of the team. You all probably won’t care or even understand, but some of us don’t mind it.
Of course I don't care about a coincidental linguistic similarity. But do you know why I like Jiren? Because I love Gandalf.
Yeah guys like you probably can’t appreciate something like that. It’s fine though. Whether or not it’s a coincidence, it’s very possible it was intentional. You’ll probably never know the truth, so go ahead and believe whatever you like.
Wow. Condescending much, pal?

User avatar
TheOne
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheOne » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:46 pm

MrTennek wrote:
TheOne wrote:
Simere wrote: Of course I don't care about a coincidental linguistic similarity. But do you know why I like Jiren? Because I love Gandalf.
Yeah guys like you probably can’t appreciate something like that. It’s fine though. Whether or not it’s a coincidence, it’s very possible it was intentional. You’ll probably never know the truth, so go ahead and believe whatever you like.
Wow. Condescending much, pal?
Wasn’t meant to be condescending. To completely disregard the similarities of the Pride Troopers and the military is just asinine. Pride Troopers are a fighting organization with a clear military like structure, with Kahseral literally being named General (a military rank) and Top meaing the leader of enlisted soldiers in the military.

To have some guy say I don’t care about the similarities and pretends that the writers wouldn’t possibly think about something like that really... makes me question people’s understanding and willingness to get out of their own heads. Which is part of the problem with the dragon ball fandom.
How i predict the tournament will end:

User avatar
shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:52 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadd21 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Haven’t bought the DLC pack myself so I wouldn’t know but, is it true that Funimation gave Kefla a Latino accent in Xenoverse 2?

User avatar
The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:11 pm

shadd21 wrote:Haven’t bought the DLC pack myself so I wouldn’t know but, is it true that Funimation gave Kefla a Latino accent in Xenoverse 2?
No
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Post Reply