"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1018
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Planet Sadla

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Alright guys, so episode 83 is airing. Let's hope Funi will finally say Bra, and "Bulla" will be no more. Fingers crossed!
Caulifla best girl! :)

User avatar
DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Bulla it is, Can’t say I’m surprised at all by this.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

User avatar
shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:52 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by shadd21 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Bulla lives on!

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:30 pm

I just noticed; when Beerus and Champa split the page in the ending, the panel at the bottom left has a banner in it that says "Hercule"

Was that in the Japanese broadcast?
Cause as far as I know that was purely a Funimation idea that Viz has stubbornly stuck to despite all other media abandoning it, and Satans only other name in japan was Mark

User avatar
Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1018
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Planet Sadla

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:49 pm

GOD-FUCKING-DAMMIT, FUNIMATION! The one chance you had to finally get Bra's name right, and you done fucked it up! (Once again, excuse my language)
Caulifla best girl! :)

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:52 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:I just noticed; when Beerus and Champa split the page in the ending, the panel at the bottom left has a banner in it that says "Hercule"

Was that in the Japanese broadcast?
Cause as far as I know that was purely a Funimation idea that Viz has stubbornly stuck to despite all other media abandoning it, and Satans only other name in japan was Mark
Do you have a screenshot? The Japanese Blu-Ray says "Satan".
Image

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 am

DHM211 wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:I just noticed; when Beerus and Champa split the page in the ending, the panel at the bottom left has a banner in it that says "Hercule"

Was that in the Japanese broadcast?
Cause as far as I know that was purely a Funimation idea that Viz has stubbornly stuck to despite all other media abandoning it, and Satans only other name in japan was Mark
Do you have a screenshot? The Japanese Blu-Ray says "Satan".
Image
I can't get a screenshot and my phones too junk to bother the process of taking a photo to host somewhere and link here

Double checked though and it /definitely/ says Hercule

Also worth noting that despite the banner being drawn and shaded the exact same way, Satan is missing from the panel entirely judging from that screenshot

Maybe someone at FUNi made the edit just as an Easter egg for the broadcast?

Or is there an international version Toei's distributing? Has any other country gotten this far?

User avatar
Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Dubai

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kogu 87 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:31 am

Bulla forever !!
"Oh dear...."

User avatar
Footlong Shoe
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 pm
Location: Garner, NC
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:12 am

He's right, the banner reads "Hercule" for some reason. Checked and this seems to be the case in all previous episodes with this ending as well.
AzuraRacon wrote:Also worth noting that despite the banner being drawn and shaded the exact same way, Satan is missing from the panel entirely judging from that screenshot
Toonami edits down the credits so it doesn't start until after Beerus and Champa start fighting, and at that point all of the characters have run away. Mr. Satan being out of the panel wouldn't be part of this change.
Steam - Footlong Shoe (psn_trooperman567)
XBL - Footlong Crocs
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1776


Hit me up, I might be willing to talk or play!

User avatar
DHM211
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DHM211 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:13 am

AzuraRacon wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:I just noticed; when Beerus and Champa split the page in the ending, the panel at the bottom left has a banner in it that says "Hercule"

Was that in the Japanese broadcast?
Cause as far as I know that was purely a Funimation idea that Viz has stubbornly stuck to despite all other media abandoning it, and Satans only other name in japan was Mark
Do you have a screenshot? The Japanese Blu-Ray says "Satan".
Image
I can't get a screenshot and my phones too junk to bother the process of taking a photo to host somewhere and link here

Double checked though and it /definitely/ says Hercule

Also worth noting that despite the banner being drawn and shaded the exact same way, Satan is missing from the panel entirely judging from that screenshot

Maybe someone at FUNi made the edit just as an Easter egg for the broadcast?

Or is there an international version Toei's distributing? Has any other country gotten this far?
I'm pretty sure that there is an edited version currently being broadcasted in most of Africa.

User avatar
TheOne
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheOne » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:17 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:GOD-FUCKING-DAMMIT, FUNIMATION! The one chance you had to finally get Bra's name right, and you done fucked it up! (Once again, excuse my language)
Grow up. You will live. No reason to get so bent out of shape when the anime has been using Bulla for years.
How i predict the tournament will end:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7757
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:33 am

TheOne wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:GOD-FUCKING-DAMMIT, FUNIMATION! The one chance you had to finally get Bra's name right, and you done fucked it up! (Once again, excuse my language)
Grow up. You will live. No reason to get so bent out of shape when the anime has been using Bulla for years.
More like over a decade. Bra has been Bulla here since 2003. This would be like Funi calling King Kai Kaio all the sudden. They were able to get away with Satan mostly because they headcanon that Hercule was his first name and Satan was always used in the unedited version even in Z.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10202
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:37 am

Bulla is also more similar syllables wise to the Japanese pronunciation, Bura. Otherwise they'd probably have to pronounce Bra slightly awkwardly to match?

wjbraden
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by wjbraden » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:56 pm

DHM211 wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote:
DHM211 wrote: Do you have a screenshot? The Japanese Blu-Ray says "Satan".
Image
I can't get a screenshot and my phones too junk to bother the process of taking a photo to host somewhere and link here

Double checked though and it /definitely/ says Hercule

Also worth noting that despite the banner being drawn and shaded the exact same way, Satan is missing from the panel entirely judging from that screenshot

Maybe someone at FUNi made the edit just as an Easter egg for the broadcast?

Or is there an international version Toei's distributing? Has any other country gotten this far?
I'm pretty sure that there is an edited version currently being broadcasted in most of Africa.
Hmm, interesting. I check the Latin American dub version of ed7v2 and it still has "SATAN" on the banner, so this is not an entirely international thing apparently. The "HERCULE" edit looks too good to be one of Funimation's in-house edits (which usually just masked over all instances of Satan on signs and things, and pasted Hercule, in comic sans times no less, over it). So it leads me to think Toei actually did it for international distributors upon request. Since Funimation is doing an edited dub for Toonami Africa, as you mentioned, they probably requested that the Hercule version be used for those airings, but somehow they also included it in the uncut airings for US Toonami. To add to the mystery, even though he is referred to as Hercule in the edited episodes, all visual references to Satan still appear unedited in the actual episodes, going by the clips from Toonami Africa's website. So it kind of makes the whole edit pointless to begin with. Pretty weird stuff overall, and good eye.
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:34 pm

AzuraRacon wrote:I just noticed; when Beerus and Champa split the page in the ending, the panel at the bottom left has a banner in it that says "Hercule"

Was that in the Japanese broadcast?
Cause as far as I know that was purely a Funimation idea that Viz has stubbornly stuck to despite all other media abandoning it, and Satans only other name in japan was Mark
Funi used the name "Hercule" as a way of censoring Mr. Satan's name, but Funi didn't come up with Hercule. That was AB Groupe for its French dub (which they did due to Piccolo having been renamed "Satan's Little Heart" >.>). Ironically, the AB Groupe's "Big Green" dub of DBZ Movie 9 kept Mr. Satan as a name.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 pm

I'm fine with Bulla.

And man, she already has papa Vegeta wrapped around her baby fingers. When Dragon Ball comes back, I hope there is a time skip of sorts with that in there.

User avatar
nato25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by nato25 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:29 am

Forgot how enjoyable this episode was. Apart from the dumb 28 planet lines its memorable for all the right reasons, Vegeta is one funny dad. It never struck me till now that Bulma's parents are Vegeta's in laws haha, thats a funny combination.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10202
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:47 am

I do feel Dragon Ball Gus though, they now ditched "Senzu Bean" for just "Senzu", they also started spelling Vegetto like that, they also started weirdly pronouncing "Corp" differently in the Trunks arc. Changes happening within this current dub so there is no reason "Bulla" couldn't have been "Bra" so that is why I think was more of a syllable/matching thing, then again Top is shorter than Toppo so who knows.
nato25 wrote:Forgot how enjoyable this episode was. Apart from the dumb 28 planet lines its memorable for all the right reasons, Vegeta is one funny dad. It never struck me till now that Bulma's parents are Vegeta's in laws haha, thats a funny combination.
It is episode like this just re-iterate why Goku is great and why the cast are always relieved when he is around and why Bulma was happy to see him in the first episode of this arc, he is just a bundle of positivity.

User avatar
Jackalope89
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I do feel Dragon Ball Gus though, they now ditched "Senzu Bean" for just "Senzu", they also started spelling Vegetto like that, they also started weirdly pronouncing "Corp" differently in the Trunks arc. Changes happening within this current dub so there is no reason "Bulla" couldn't have been "Bra" so that is why I think was more of a syllable/matching thing, then again Top is shorter than Toppo so who knows.
nato25 wrote:Forgot how enjoyable this episode was. Apart from the dumb 28 planet lines its memorable for all the right reasons, Vegeta is one funny dad. It never struck me till now that Bulma's parents are Vegeta's in laws haha, thats a funny combination.
It is episode like this just re-iterate why Goku is great and why the cast are always relieved when he is around and why Bulma was happy to see him in the first episode of this arc, he is just a bundle of positivity.
"Bra" could have just been too on the nose, possibly.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2433
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:57 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:"Bra" could have just been too on the nose, possibly.
Something being too on the nose for Dragon Ball? No... :think:
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Post Reply