"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Waluigiman wrote:Not sure if this is offtopic but...Am I the only one who felt somewhat disappointed with some of the voices of the Dragon Ball Super characters:

Magetta: I think he was fine with his Japanese voice, he should had kept it as he was un-intelligible anyways. The American robotic monotone voice is too distracting and clashes with his emotional personality.
To which I bring up my arguments again that Magetta is a nothing character, you're not supposed to care about him because Toriyama made him a laughingstock & just an obstacle for Vegeta to overcome, & that, because he doesn't speak normally, it doesn't matter what FUNi do with him in terms of the dub, but you do you.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:57 pm

It's about the principle of the thing. There's not a good reason to change it, it's not really much of an "improvement", it only really serves to make some people angry and portray Funi's lax position on the series' dub changes in a further negative light

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:05 am

Attention all Ribrianne fans! Early today, Funimation released an first look at Veronica Taylor as the English speaking voice of our girl. Take a listen.

https://twitter.com/dragonballsuper/sta ... 1803841536
Caulifla best girl! :)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:13 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Attention all Ribrianne fans! Early today, Funimation released an first look at Veronica Taylor as the English speaking voice of our girl. Take a listen.

I don’t care for Ribrianne, but I think it’s possible that Veronica Taylor just might be able to sell me on the character.

Also, it just occurred to me, but it would’ve really been something if they had gotten Dan Green to voice Jiren.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:59 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Attention all Ribrianne fans! Early today, Funimation released an first look at Veronica Taylor as the English speaking voice of our girl. Take a listen.

Whoa! That's what I call a perfect fit. The guy who suggested Veronica to audition for Brianne is a genius.

I might not be a fan of Brianne* but I can't deny they picked the right person to voice her.

*Don't really hate her but I found her a bit... annoying.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:23 am

Shaddy wrote:It's about the principle of the thing. There's not a good reason to change it, it's not really much of an "improvement", it only really serves to make some people angry and portray Funi's lax position on the series' dub changes in a further negative light
I'm not saying it was an improvement, don't put words in my text that aren't there. I'm just saying that it doesn't matter whatsoever. Now, had this be as drastic as Vegeta's stupid "Frieza threatened to kill my father", or Goku's "I am the hope of the universe", or Gohan's inner thought about 16, which made no sense, from the Z dub, then I would understand, but it isn't. Magetta's a nothing character. The fact that you are using this to bolster an opinion of this dub being bad because of the slight changes they have every so often, with this being the only major one, is seriously messed up.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:31 am

Scsigs wrote: I'm not saying it was an improvement, don't put words in my text that aren't there.
I wasn't, dude. My point is that often times Funi's changes are justified as being "improvements", but there's nothing to that degree that can really be said about this one.
Scsigs wrote:I'm just saying that it doesn't matter whatsoever. Now, had this be as drastic as Vegeta's stupid "Frieza threatened to kill my father", or Goku's "I am the hope of the universe", or Gohan's inner thought about 16, which made no sense, from the Z dub, then I would understand, but it isn't. Magetta's a nothing character.
I would say whether this instance matters a lot is subjective, but that's beside the point. While Magetta contributes little to the plot, he nonetheless is a character that exists within this show, and it wouldn't have taken much at all to have him voiced the same way as in the Japanese version. Hell, it might have taken more to get the text-to-speech in there correctly, I dunno. Regardless, it's still not Funimation's place to make that decision. There are always going to be changes to make things flow naturally, fit culturally (to a degree), but this is neither. It's them deciding to have a character voiced by text-to-speech instead of a person because they thought it would be funny even though being funny isn't their job.
Scsigs wrote:The fact that you are using this to bolster an opinion of this dub being bad because of the slight changes they have every so often, with this being the only major one, is seriously messed up.
Wow, you're on the defensive right out the gate aren't you? What was it you said about putting words in people's mouth? Don't give me this shit. I like the dub, but I'm not too fucking dedicated to it to acknowledge that it's constantly doing shit for the sake of doing it that never needed changing in the Japanese version, that isn't really beneficial to the English version when nobody would raise an angry voice at it being consistent, and which is Funimation stepping out of line and making decisions that are neither necessary nor what they're supposed to do. They're professionals and they should know better. Hell, they do know better for a large amount of their other shows. This is a Dragon Ball-specific issue (to a degree).

And it's not just "every so often", there are a lot of changes. I enjoy plenty of the jokes added, but that doesn't mean they need to be there, or that it makes the dub better. I'd argue it actively does make it worse since it does in several scenes change the general feel and tone of the scene, donuts notwithstanding. E

xcusing these as a mere "oh it's the same as Vegeta saying 'finally letting your true colors show' instead of 'you've finally shown your true colors'" is enabling bad behavior on Funi's part. I'm not calling the dub the antichrist, but nobody loses when it's accurate. Within acceptable bounds, there is no reason to not make sure the experience is as similar from one country's language to another, and Funi is actively, purposefully doing the opposite when they make these changes. Sure, it's mostly just a couple jokes, one minor character and some explanation to Time Travel that's already broken right now, but if they aren't held to a standard it is entirely possible that we get back to "hope of the universe" nonsense. Plenty of people still think that's what it should be already (a complaint similar to "Super lacks the epicness of Z").

I understand that people have stated their opinions very strongly in this thread and I disagree that the dub is evil or getting anywhere close to that right now, but I also believe dismissing those perspectives as baseless nitpicking is overall hurtful to the progression of the dub from a fandom point of view. We can and have influenced the way Funimation has handled and released the series in the past. It's why we got the US Dragon Boxes, it's a big part of why Kai's dub turned out the way it did. We can do it again in the future, but sitting still and taking what we're given no questions asked is the wrong way to do that.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:07 am

I am........All I can say is...... :D ........THIS!

Veronica was MAGNIFICENT, Angelic, I was Seriously Tearing Up I was So Happy at both Brianne's and Ribrianne's Voices she did! :cry: :D

Very Mature, Hollywood Starlet like Voice and a abit of Sassy too as well, she hit so many marks right on point! 8)

Also with all the name changes lately, Funimation KEPT Her Full Name ~ Brianne de Chateau and Ribrianne, PERFECT! :thumbup:

Thank You SO MUCH for This Dragon Ball Gus, You have No Idea how Happy this Made Me and the Shout out to ALL Ribrianne fans too, Thank You! :thumbup: :clap:

As a Ribrianne Fan I could Not be More Happy Right Now, is shows like with Caulifla, Funimation shows they are taking these ladys characterizations Very Seriously and they are Very Important Characters to their fans and the Show@

WittyUsername wrote:I don’t care for Ribrianne, but I think it’s possible that Veronica Taylor just might be able to sell me on the character.

Also, it just occurred to me, but it would’ve really been something if they had gotten Dan Green to voice Jiren.
Tian wrote:Whoa! That's what I call a perfect fit. The guy who suggested Veronica to audition for Brianne is a genius.

I might not be a fan of Brianne* but I can't deny they picked the right person to voice her.

*Don't really hate her but I found her a bit... annoying.
I am So Happy Veronica Taylor is is getting Such a Positive Response that is getting both her and Brianne/Ribrianne such a positive Response! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:32 am

Shaddy wrote:Sure, it's mostly just a couple jokes, one minor character and some explanation to Time Travel that's already broken right now, but if they aren't held to a standard it is entirely possible that we get back to "hope of the universe" nonsense. Plenty of people still think that's what it should be already (a complaint similar to "Super lacks the epicness of Z").

I understand that people have stated their opinions very strongly in this thread and I disagree that the dub is evil or getting anywhere close to that right now, but I also believe dismissing those perspectives as baseless nitpicking is overall hurtful to the progression of the dub from a fandom point of view. We can and have influenced the way Funimation has handled and released the series in the past. It's why we got the US Dragon Boxes, it's a big part of why Kai's dub turned out the way it did. We can do it again in the future, but sitting still and taking what we're given no questions asked is the wrong way to do that.
I'm not nearly asas harsh on Super's dub as a lot of people but I do agree the criticisms of its changes are warranted. At the end of the day Funimation can't be given excuses like "it was only one line in an episode" or "the Japanese dialogue is too generic so punching it up will make the dub more fun" because if they are they will think they can do it constantly.

Hit's Donut line was a step too far as it harks back to Z era Freeza's "pop goes the weasel". It is changing the tone by having an antagonist say something they'd never say, especially in a serious scene where someone is killed or about to be killed.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:55 am

God Tube in Any Language is always Cool!

Also Kusu is still Just as Precious.

Finally, the Big Moment Arrived and after seeing the Video Dragon Ball Gus provided for us of Veronica Taylor's Premiere as Brianne de Chateau/Ribrianne(Funimation KEPT both her Complete Names!:), after watching that clip over today like a few DOZEN Times :lol: ............I was Ready to watch the Debut Moment on My HD Big Screen TV and it was EPIC, Thank You Funimation and Veronica Taylor for a Magnificent Kick-Off to English-Dub Brianne's Career! :thumbup:

A Few Days left to till 2019 and THIS was one of the Best ways as a Fan to Close out 2018 as a DB Fan, an Early Christmas Gift Indeed! :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:17 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:snip
Jesus guys, take a minute to actually read the guy's posts instead of jumping to play "GOTCHA!" on him. He's complaining about inconsistency within the dub itself. The dub has flipflopped from "destroyer" to "God of Destruction" and "Senzu" to "Senzu bean." It's an annoying bit of inconsistency that doesn't have much to do with accuracy. You want the show you're watching to at least have consistent terminology.
Right thank you! But even then asking someone to stay consistent with their opinions (especially when bringing up posts from months ago) is one of the dumbest thing I have ever read on here, the very nature of opinions leaves them susceptible to change. Example back in the BoG arc I didn't mind that filter but now I am absolutely annoyed by it, doesn't make me a hypocrite just means my opinion has changed.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:32 pm

So between this episode and 89, I guess Brad Jackson... isn't available right now? Or something?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:09 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:So between this episode and 89, I guess Brad Jackson... isn't available right now? Or something?
Oolongs voice has been a complete mess this series. If I remember right, he's gone from that wierd Boston accent early on, to his original Z voice, to whatever this was today which sounded different to last time I heard him a couple of episode ago. What is going, the character probably has 10 lines for the whole series, should have just got them all done on one day haha.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:30 am

So I don't have cable anymore, but I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago and actually had a chance to watch the dub for the first time in my hotel room. It was the episode where they visit Tienshinan's dojo. Everything seemed okay until Tienshinhan mentions something called the "Tournament of Destroyers". Is that really what they call the U6 tournament in the dub? Why? That sounds so fucking stupid.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:44 am

Son Gara wrote:So I don't have cable anymore, but I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago and actually had a chance to watch the dub for the first time in my hotel room. It was the episode where they visit Tienshinan's dojo. Everything seemed okay until Tienshinhan mentions something called the "Tournament of Destroyers". Is that really what they call the U6 tournament in the dub? Why? That sounds so fucking stupid.
Why? It’s a tournament between Beerus and Champa, who are the Destroyers of their universes. It wouldn’t make sense to call it the “Universe 6 Tournament” in-universe. Only problem with the name is it ends up sounding more impressive than the Tournament of Power despite being smaller in scale.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:00 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Waluigiman wrote:Not sure if this is offtopic but...Am I the only one who felt somewhat disappointed with some of the voices of the Dragon Ball Super characters:

Magetta: I think he was fine with his Japanese voice, he should had kept it as he was un-intelligible anyways. The American robotic monotone voice is too distracting and clashes with his emotional personality.
To which I bring up my arguments again that Magetta is a nothing character, you're not supposed to care about him because Toriyama made him a laughingstock & just an obstacle for Vegeta to overcome, & that, because he doesn't speak normally, it doesn't matter what FUNi do with him in terms of the dub, but you do you.
okay.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 am

Why? It’s a tournament between Beerus and Champa, who are the Destroyers of their universes. It wouldn’t make sense to call it the “Universe 6 Tournament” in-universe. Only problem with the name is it ends up sounding more impressive than the Tournament of Power despite being smaller in scale.
Not really. It's a tournament against universe 6, not to mention it was hosted by them. It's 2018 for fuck's sake. Are we still too afraid of referring these beings as "gods"? "Destroyer" just seems like an unnecessary dubism. Hell I'm surprised they didn't just call them the "Guardians of Destruction".
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:46 am

Son Gara wrote:
Not really. It's a tournament against universe 6, not to mention it was hosted by them. It's 2018 for fuck's sake. Are we still too afraid of referring these beings as "gods"? "Destroyer" just seems like an unnecessary dubism. Hell I'm surprised they didn't just call them the "Guardians of Destruction".
Read my l-l-l-lip flaps, they don't use 'Destroyers' because they're scared of using the term 'God'. 'God of Destruction' is used regularly in the dub, plus there's Super Saiyan God and references to gods and deities in general. Dragon Ball Super is a divine comedy, it would be very difficult to go the whole way through without using the term 'god'.

And you know, it's a tournament between Universe 6 and 7. Saying 'Tournament of Destroyers' is a more neutral way to phrase it.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:55 pm

I dunno who Cold was voiced by in Z if they got him back, but considering Douglas is already here to voice Beerus, I'd say it's pretty likely that he'd be Cold too.