"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1196
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:12 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Does anyone know if King Cold is voiced by his DBZ Kai VA (Jason Douglas) in the new Broly movie?

I am asking because in the trailer, he sounds different to me: https://youtu.be/ynuFEc_Zg5I?t=16
Brad Jackson was the original voice, but in this trailer it does sound like Jason Douglas.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:59 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:Does anyone know if King Cold is voiced by his DBZ Kai VA (Jason Douglas) in the new Broly movie?

I am asking because in the trailer, he sounds different to me: https://youtu.be/ynuFEc_Zg5I?t=16
Brad Jackson was the original voice, but in this trailer it does sound like Jason Douglas.
Yes, that is indeed Jason Douglas. He pretty much uses his Beerus voice but makes it more deeper and more "elegant" for Cold.


User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10186
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 am

OmegaRockman wrote:So... my fiance and I won a trip to see the dub premiere tomorrow night! We fly out tomorrow morning and we'll get back Friday evening. I would have posted about it earlier, but the last few days have been frantic with real life stuff and trying to get ready for this trip so I've only told friends and family so far. Still, we're really excited to go and I'll try to give my first impressions of the film and its dub once we get back home Friday!
Since I am avoiding spoilers I have a few questions regarding the dub if you don't mind, how was Vic as Broly? Also did FUNi stay away from those filters?

Dub will be my first experience (since one of my friends prefers dubs) with the film probably go sub the day after (since another prefers subbed lol).

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Regular
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:So... my fiance and I won a trip to see the dub premiere tomorrow night! We fly out tomorrow morning and we'll get back Friday evening. I would have posted about it earlier, but the last few days have been frantic with real life stuff and trying to get ready for this trip so I've only told friends and family so far. Still, we're really excited to go and I'll try to give my first impressions of the film and its dub once we get back home Friday!
Since I am avoiding spoilers I have a few questions regarding the dub if you don't mind, how was Vic as Broly? Also did FUNi stay away from those filters?

Dub will be my first experience (since one of my friends prefers dubs) with the film probably go sub the day after (since another prefers subbed lol).
Vic was pretty great as Broly! I also want to give a shout-out to Dameon Clarke as Paragas. I thought his performance really stood out (no details to avoid spoilers, though). As for those filters, I can't say I remember. I believe they threw some sort of reverb on the screams, but I don't remember hearing the overused filter they used in the show where it sounds like they put a pitched-up version of the scream somewhere in there. It's also been a week since I've seen the thing, so my memory may simply be failing me when it comes to small details like that.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10186
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:33 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:So... my fiance and I won a trip to see the dub premiere tomorrow night! We fly out tomorrow morning and we'll get back Friday evening. I would have posted about it earlier, but the last few days have been frantic with real life stuff and trying to get ready for this trip so I've only told friends and family so far. Still, we're really excited to go and I'll try to give my first impressions of the film and its dub once we get back home Friday!
Since I am avoiding spoilers I have a few questions regarding the dub if you don't mind, how was Vic as Broly? Also did FUNi stay away from those filters?

Dub will be my first experience (since one of my friends prefers dubs) with the film probably go sub the day after (since another prefers subbed lol).
Vic was pretty great as Broly! I also want to give a shout-out to Dameon Clarke as Paragas. I thought his performance really stood out (no details to avoid spoilers, though). As for those filters, I can't say I remember. I believe they threw some sort of reverb on the screams, but I don't remember hearing the overused filter they used in the show where it sounds like they put a pitched-up version of the scream somewhere in there. It's also been a week since I've seen the thing, so my memory may simply be failing me when it comes to small details like that.
Ahh cheers! That's a relief to hear about Vic! Clarke's Paragus already sounded great in the trailer so that doesn't surprise me! And regarding the reverb aslong as it wasn't distracting then that's fine.

Definitely even more excited now! :)

User avatar
Son Gara
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:36 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Son Gara » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Saying 'Tournament of Destroyers' is a more neutral way to phrase it.


If you say so, still better names out there. No need to resort to dubisms.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

User avatar
Hulk10
Regular
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:50 pm

Where did you guys hear the dubbed version of the new Broly movie?
Hulk is strongest one there is. -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6068
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:07 pm

Hulk10 wrote:Where did you guys hear the dubbed version of the new Broly movie?
Some users went to the Hollywood premiere last week.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Hulk10
Regular
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:55 pm
Location: New Sadala

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:53 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Hulk10 wrote:Where did you guys hear the dubbed version of the new Broly movie?
Some users went to the Hollywood premiere last week.
Ah I see.
Hulk is strongest one there is. -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I will never again bow to your charge! But I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking to Unicron controlled Megatron.

The arrogance of man is thinking that we are in control of our destiny. Let them fight. -Dr. Ishiro Serizawa to Admiral William Stenz.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2215
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Son Gara wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Saying 'Tournament of Destroyers' is a more neutral way to phrase it.


If you say so, still better names out there. No need to resort to dubisms.
I mean, some dubisms aren't actually that bad, especially this one. In-universe, the "Universe 6 Tournament" name wouldn't make any sense, so "Tournament of Destroyers" makes a degree of sense.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

superfan2024
Regular
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Second part to the Geekdom101 and Sean Schemmel interview has just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4fG6jOBh8

Based on the interview, it looks like the English dub is around episode 94 or 95 ("we just recruited Freeza"), so they are pretty close to the Toonami airing (which is airing episode 92 on January 5th, 2019).

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2215
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:21 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Second part to the Geekdom101 and Sean Schemmel interview has just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4fG6jOBh8

Based on the interview, it looks like the English dub is around episode 94 or 95 ("we just recruited Freeza"), so they are pretty close to the Toonami airing (which is airing episode 92 on January 5th, 2019).
Yeah. Production on the show's dub probably slowed down due to the movie's dub taking priority over it.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2215
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:43 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Second part to the Geekdom101 and Sean Schemmel interview has just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ4fG6jOBh8

Based on the interview, it looks like the English dub is around episode 94 or 95 ("we just recruited Freeza"), so they are pretty close to the Toonami airing (which is airing episode 92 on January 5th, 2019).
Sorry to double post, but it's been several hours. I wanna highlight a few things that Sean & Geekdom talked about.
1. He's very dedicated to the role. When he was just starting out, he wanted to watch what they did before the episodes he was recording back in '99 so he had a better context for the character & the show. He's since read the manga & Journey to the West to get a greater understanding of the material. Respect.
2. The whole thing with Peter Kalemis was over a crediting issue. Sean is apparently, as he says, very adamant about crediting the write people in things & pointing out when he wasn't in certain English dubs of DB material. He specifically cites the Pioneer DVDs when some fans wanted him to sign them, where he tells them he wasn't a part of those dubs. He's very protective of people knowing who the right actor is in the dubs of DB material. Doesn't seem he went the right way about it, since, obviously, Peter temporarily got uninvited to the Kameha-con (if that wasn't it, please correct me) event, but they've apparently made amends since.
3. He confirmed that it IS James Marsters as Zamasu for the dub of Super & the video games, just in case the 2 people who are still skeptical about that needed more proof.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

GreatJaiyaman
Banned
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:41 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by GreatJaiyaman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:43 pm

What are the chances of Jason David Frank voicing Catopesla?! That would be my fan casting, it would be so nostalgic!
VegettoEX is a snowflake

Dbzfan94
I Live Here
Posts: 4754
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Son Gara wrote:
Why? It’s a tournament between Beerus and Champa, who are the Destroyers of their universes. It wouldn’t make sense to call it the “Universe 6 Tournament” in-universe. Only problem with the name is it ends up sounding more impressive than the Tournament of Power despite being smaller in scale.
Not really. It's a tournament against universe 6, not to mention it was hosted by them. It's 2018 for fuck's sake. Are we still too afraid of referring these beings as "gods"? "Destroyer" just seems like an unnecessary dubism. Hell I'm surprised they didn't just call them the "Guardians of Destruction".
Thats a huge fucking reach, considering they say God quite a lot.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2215
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:48 am

GreatJaiyaman wrote:What are the chances of Jason David Frank voicing Catopesla?! That would be my fan casting, it would be so nostalgic!
It would all depend on his availability & Chris Sabat's want to cast him in the dub. JDF's used to dubbing work, since he's done all those episodes of Power Rangers, but not anime dubbing work, since the Power Rangers/Sentai helmets don't have lips to match, so it's up to him as well. Considering JDF's not acting much outside of Power Rangers reunions anymore, that's also a factor.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

User avatar
Son Gara
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:36 am
Location: Oklahoma

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Son Gara » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:51 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Son Gara wrote:
Why? It’s a tournament between Beerus and Champa, who are the Destroyers of their universes. It wouldn’t make sense to call it the “Universe 6 Tournament” in-universe. Only problem with the name is it ends up sounding more impressive than the Tournament of Power despite being smaller in scale.
Not really. It's a tournament against universe 6, not to mention it was hosted by them. It's 2018 for fuck's sake. Are we still too afraid of referring these beings as "gods"? "Destroyer" just seems like an unnecessary dubism. Hell I'm surprised they didn't just call them the "Guardians of Destruction".
Thats a huge fucking reach, considering they say God quite a lot.
Yeah they do now, still doesn't change the fact that they didn't for the longest time.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2215
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:31 am

Son Gara wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Son Gara wrote:
Not really. It's a tournament against universe 6, not to mention it was hosted by them. It's 2018 for fuck's sake. Are we still too afraid of referring these beings as "gods"? "Destroyer" just seems like an unnecessary dubism. Hell I'm surprised they didn't just call them the "Guardians of Destruction".
Thats a huge fucking reach, considering they say God quite a lot.
Yeah they do now, still doesn't change the fact that they didn't for the longest time.
With them throwing around words like "deity/ies," "god/s", referencing Hell by name, telling the audience Goku is dead when he is, & not censoring when other characters die or are dead in this franchise for a while now, when have they not done that "for the longest time"? In the movies, the shows, video games, & other supplemental material, they haven't shied away from it. And any time they didn't, it was more of a stylistic choice over any censorship, which doesn't make any sense why people would think they're censoring the show, given it's dubbed uncut & airs on Toonami.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
TFS getting shafted from the Kai TFC dub is a great travesty.
GT sucks, get over it if you disagree.
We'll see what happens to Vic.
Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

ironfist2020
Banned
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:04 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by ironfist2020 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:58 pm

I'm watching ghost in the shell arise now. elizabeth maxwell is amazing as motoko kusunagi AKA major. i heard she also voices kale.

Post Reply