"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by MegaBossMan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:44 am

It seems they took out 17's dad joke ("How old are you?" "I'm 17") in favor of some really uncomfortable dark humor ("I like all the animals. Except humans.") Admittedly Krillin's uncomfortability plays off a bit better from the dark joke, but it was an unwarranted change that wasn't particularly any funnier. This doesn't change the course of Super's story massively or anything, but it's certainly confounding nonetheless. Not a change I had wanted but whatever. Not my script.

"Halo'ed like a cherub when it should be a crown" is an insanely sublime and salubrious translation, however, so there are pros to these cons.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:47 am

You'd think they'd have fucking jumped at the opportunity to bring that sort of joke into the series with the way they added the other ones. Somehow they changed something to forgo needlessly self-aware humor for once, how incredibly weird.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:52 am

It's been a long time since I've heard Ghost Usher in the English dub but I definitely don't remember he/she/it sounding like that!

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Is this the first time where the dub does away with the dub spelling of Freeza’s name? If so, then that’s an upgrade that I hope remains consistent.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:Is this the first time where the dub does away with the dub spelling of Freeza’s name? If so, then that’s an upgrade that I hope remains consistent.
Seeing as it was hand written by the characters, one could simply argue that whoever wrote it just didn't know how to spell his name.

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:34 pm

uncutpokemon wrote:
Lunatic Fringe wrote:Is this the first time where the dub does away with the dub spelling of Freeza’s name? If so, then that’s an upgrade that I hope remains consistent.
Seeing as it was hand written by the characters, one could simply argue that whoever wrote it just didn't know how to spell his name.
Side note, anyone remember which episode changes the opening to have Frieza replace Buu? I could have sworn it was supposed to have happened by now?

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:36 pm

Side note, anyone remember which episode changes the opening to have Frieza replace Buu? I could have sworn it was supposed to have happened by now?

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:56 am

So my first guess for the Dog guy was that they had Dameon Clarke throw in his voice as an extra while they had him for Broly, since he sounds exactly like Cell, but the thought just occurred to me that that could also be Daman Mills

He had his cell impression down to 1:1 especially for the perfect form even before funimation brought him on.

The characters a bit part and it seems the credits toonami uses don't list additional voices so we won't know until full credits for the episode are released or someone asks him

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:21 pm

So it seems as though Mills is taking on the role of Freeza full time, at least for now... I certainly wish him the best of luck, he has some pretty big shoes to fill.

On a different note, I hope this doesn't mean Ayres' conditions has progressed dramatically, I guess I was kinda hoping for a miracle and that he'd pull through. :(
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:14 pm

I just got off from watching the movie at the theater after being a naughty boy on YouTube after its Latin American premiere, and I'm impressed with this FUNimation dub. The acting in it by everyone was great, the dialogues work nicely without straying too far from the Japanese counterpart, and it overall managed to get me to dissolve much of my skepticism towards FUNimation based on what they've done before with the series. The one thing I didn't like was Vegeta and Raditz's grown up voices when they were kids.

Good job.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:04 am

Managed to catch the film on opening night for the Australian release. Happy to report I enjoyed the dub, even parts of the DB dub I usually don't like Schemmel and added dub lines. The promotion for this film in Australia has been amazing, adds online and I've seen a trailer for this film in the past 3 films I saw in theatres. The dub performances are all amazing on all accounts. For dub only lines from what I know there are two main ones I've heard around the circles online.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:22 am

Caught DBS Broly last night. I thought the dub was excellent. Special mention to Ayres, Sabat and Mignogna who really stood out and brought their A-game.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:32 pm

Having seen the sub I think FUNi made some right calls in what lines to spice up and or add. Biggest one was Gogeta naming himself thought that was much funnier in the dub Gokuga! xD.

Performance wise both Japanese and English dub I thought were the same, all excellent. I think both Schemmel and Nozawa both knocked out the park honestly thought I was gotten used to their respective Goku's but it felt they both breathed more life into the character sure the designs had to do with that! Goku felt so bubbly!!

And Ayres man. What a guy we are blessed to have him. Vic too, totally nailed the innocent side to Broly so well and of course his screams were awesome!

So yeah pleased with the film, both Japanese and English, the merchandise and the majority of the promo art. Save to say this film ticked all the boxes for me!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:36 pm

How are people seeing this movie subbed? I thought the US release was dub-only.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 pm

They're doing screenings in UK and (Australia?) that have subtitles JP available.

Also, plenty of people watch camrips.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:44 am

Is it just me or is anyone else getting even more annoyed at Tarble references in the dub. Ever since Battle of Gods and now Broly, the dub mentions Tarble, even though we've never actually gotten the 2008 special dubbed. And if anyone knows me on these forums, I'm really big on hoping the 2008 special along with the other specials get dubbed one day even though there's rights issues with the Tarble special, I believe. Still, at this point, even if they could receive dubs, from recent feedback, the fans don't give a crap about any of those specials. It's all about Super now and I'm almost certain Toei/Funimation reflect those sentiments. "We've got Super now! Who the hell cares about an old thirty-minute special from '08?! Besides, Toei won't let us dub it anyway so it all works out!"

Well, it just sucks because the '08 special was our first sampling of Dragon Ball returning one day (I think many fans forget that) and as a standalone story without setting up any gods and multiverse storylines - It's superb, in my opinion. Goten and Trunks actually have spotlight in it! Even though I do admit it's pointless to go back and dub it now, especially since it wouldn't be the same as if Funimation had done it before Super and the new movies were announced, I'M TIRED OF THE TARBLE MENTIONS WITHOUT AN OFFICIAL TARBLE DUB (outside of Raging Blast 2, which I love for the inclusion of OVA characters like Tarble and Hatchiyack, even if the former doesn't exactly warrant it).

I apologize for my sorta rant. I just somewhat miss the old days of DB before the new stuff and I always hoped the 2008 special most of all could've received a dub to bring back some of that nostalgia. As it is now, though, Funimation would possibly just throw in some meta humor based on the new stuff, which I would hate as the '08 special should stand alone.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:03 am

mecha3000 wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else getting even more annoyed at Tarble references in the dub. Ever since Battle of Gods and now Broly, the dub mentions Tarble, even though we've never actually gotten the 2008 special dubbed. And if anyone knows me on these forums, I'm really big on hoping the 2008 special along with the other specials get dubbed one day even though there's rights issues with the Tarble special, I believe. Still, at this point, even if they could receive dubs, from recent feedback, the fans don't give a crap about any of those specials. It's all about Super now and I'm almost certain Toei/Funimation reflect those sentiments. "We've got Super now! Who the hell cares about an old thirty-minute special from '08?! Besides, Toei won't let us dub it anyway so it all works out!"

Well, it just sucks because the '08 special was our first sampling of Dragon Ball returning one day (I think many fans forget that) and as a standalone story without setting up any gods and multiverse storylines - It's superb, in my opinion. Goten and Trunks actually have spotlight in it! Even though I do admit it's pointless to go back and dub it now, especially since it wouldn't be the same as if Funimation had done it before Super and the new movies were announced, I'M TIRED OF THE TARBLE MENTIONS WITHOUT AN OFFICIAL TARBLE DUB (outside of Raging Blast 2, which I love for the inclusion of OVA characters like Tarble and Hatchiyack, even if the former doesn't exactly warrant it).

I apologize for my sorta rant. I just somewhat miss the old days of DB before the new stuff and I always hoped the 2008 special most of all could've received a dub to bring back some of that nostalgia. As it is now, though, Funimation would possibly just throw in some meta humor based on the new stuff, which I would hate as the '08 special should stand alone.
FUNimation can't control it if the original script has Tarble references.

I'm pretty sure that there is a rights / legal reason why Yo! has never been dubbed, as well as timing, budgetary, and resources preventing it.

Who knows? Perhaps Toriyama will work Tarble into future DB stories, much like how Abo and Cado appeared in DBS: Broly in a cameo capacity.

It's too early to say it'll never happen, but it's too late to insinuate that folks don't know how it. There was also a line specifically in the special detailing that the reason it was not originally brought up in the anime and manga is because it happened too late in the real-world timeline. Or something.

According to Toriyama, the special has happened. According to Super, it hasn't. According to BoG and DBS: Broly - it has/will happen/ed

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:51 am

shadowmaria wrote:FUNimation can't control it if the original script has Tarble references.

I'm pretty sure that there is a rights / legal reason why Yo! has never been dubbed, as well as timing, budgetary, and resources preventing it.

Who knows? Perhaps Toriyama will work Tarble into future DB stories, much like how Abo and Cado appeared in DBS: Broly in a cameo capacity.

It's too early to say it'll never happen, but it's too late to insinuate that folks don't know how it. There was also a line specifically in the special detailing that the reason it was not originally brought up in the anime and manga is because it happened too late in the real-world timeline. Or something.

According to Toriyama, the special has happened. According to Super, it hasn't. According to BoG and DBS: Broly - it has/will happen/ed
Honestly, I kind of doubt Tarble will ever be brought back as Cabba already fulfills that role and honestly, I don't care for it to ever happen. My main interest in the '08 special receiving a dub one day. However, I have to give up that hope because asking for a dub for those is the equivalent of asking for the old One Piece movies to receive dubs at this point. Why would Funimation go back and give the old One Piece movies a dub when Stampede is coming out? It's just not logical, so I accept that it will probably never happen for the '08 special. As of now, I'll just treasure Raging Blast 2 - a game that is somewhat an OVA love letter and a sampling of what could've been by having English dub actors for Tarble and Hatchiyack. The Hatchiyack special is also included in the game (not dubbed though), which is also an awesome bonus, even if it's easily available online now and in France dubbed.

So yeah, I'll accept the DB fanbase's desire to move forward with the franchise both in the dub and sub, not backwards.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:16 am

shadowmaria wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:Is it just me or is anyone else getting even more annoyed at Tarble references in the dub. Ever since Battle of Gods and now Broly, the dub mentions Tarble, even though we've never actually gotten the 2008 special dubbed. And if anyone knows me on these forums, I'm really big on hoping the 2008 special along with the other specials get dubbed one day even though there's rights issues with the Tarble special, I believe. Still, at this point, even if they could receive dubs, from recent feedback, the fans don't give a crap about any of those specials. It's all about Super now and I'm almost certain Toei/Funimation reflect those sentiments. "We've got Super now! Who the hell cares about an old thirty-minute special from '08?! Besides, Toei won't let us dub it anyway so it all works out!"

FUNimation can't control it if the original script has Tarble references.

mecha3000 wrote:Honestly, I kind of doubt Tarble will ever be brought back as Cabba already fulfills that role and honestly, I don't care for it to ever happen. My main interest in the '08 special receiving a dub one day. However, I have to give up that hope because asking for a dub for those is the equivalent of asking for the old One Piece movies to receive dubs at this point. Why would Funimation go back and give the old One Piece movies a dub when Stampede is coming out? It's just not logical, so I accept that it will probably never happen for the '08 special. As of now, I'll just treasure Raging Blast 2 - a game that is somewhat an OVA love letter and a sampling of what could've been by having English dub actors for Tarble and Hatchiyack. The Hatchiyack special is also included in the game (not dubbed though), which is also an awesome bonus, even if it's easily available online now and in France dubbed.

So yeah, I'll accept the DB fanbase's desire to move forward with the franchise both in the dub and sub, not backwards.
I'll say this about the OVA. I believe FUNi wants to dub it, or at least Sabat would want to dub it. However, due to it being specifically commissioned for the Jump Super Anime Tour, it, for some reason, can't be properly licensed without sorting through rights stuff. I'm sure they wanna dub Episode of Bardock & Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans too, but simply can't due to Episode of Bardock being an OVA animated specifically for Jump Festa, and Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans being commissioned specifically for Raging Blast 2 (why they couldn't dub it while the game was in development, I'll never know, but whatever). Considering FUNi is slowly licensing a lot of the OVAs/specials for One Piece & dubbing them for US releases, they probably want to do the same with DB's, but aren't because it would either be too expensive, or time-costly. If they COULD, they'd probably release them in a 3-pack. For now, though, we'll have to be satisfied with TFS' parody dubs.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:42 am

I just got back from seeing the movie! I haven't read the rest of the thread so apologies if I repeat anything. I'm not sure what the spoiler rules are around here so I've put everything in a spoiler tag for now.