"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:09 am

AzuraRacon wrote:
gokaiblue wrote:
AzuraRacon wrote: Doc Morgan does that too
Doc Morgan from what I can recall generally uses GO-ku, not Go-KU from what I can recall.

Also, Krillin it was not a good dub decision.
I can think of a few instances where he emphasized the U
Granted I cant remember if they were in Kai or Super
Most situations where I can recall him emphasizing the sound would be in situations where it would make sense in English. In this instance, the Kai put tge emphasis in the when most would put the emphasis on Go.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:34 pm

gokaiblue wrote:Also, Krillin it was not a good dub decision.
Krillin wasn't a good dub decision? Considering his original Japanese name is a mouthful, "Kuriririn/Kulililin," I don't begrudge the dub team behind the initial 90s Ocean dub shortening his name to simply "Krillin." Getting rid of the additional letters makes it less of a mouthful for the English-speaking actors. I mean, whenever I watch MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection series & he says the full name, it always doesn't sound quite right as a name. Granted, I don't know what it would translate to if it translates to anything, but I'd rather have a name I can actually say as opposed to a mouthful with too many consonants.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Krillin wasn't a good dub decision? Considering his original Japanese name is a mouthful, "Kuriririn/Kulililin," I don't begrudge the dub team behind the initial 90s Ocean dub shortening his name to simply "Krillin." Getting rid of the additional letters makes it less of a mouthful for the English-speaking actors. I mean, whenever I watch MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection series & he says the full name, it always doesn't sound quite right as a name. Granted, I don't know what it would translate to if it translates to anything, but I'd rather have a name I can actually say as opposed to a mouthful with too many consonants.
GokaiBlue is referring to Sonny Strait adlibbing "Oh yeah, here that? I'm absolutely Krillin It today!" moments before he got eliminated by Frost. It substitutes the raw subs version: "Yay, yay! Everyone, Krillin is in top form today".

It's okay. I don't think anyone's going to deny that the phrasing's punched up, but it keeps the original meaning of the line intact with a simple pun.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:10 pm

UltraPrimus22 wrote:GokaiBlue is referring to Sonny Strait adlibbing "Oh yeah, here that? I'm absolutely Krillin It today!" moments before he got eliminated by Frost. It substitutes the raw subs version: "Yay, yay! Everyone, Krillin is in top form today".

It's okay. I don't think anyone's going to deny that the phrasing's punched up, but it keeps the original meaning of the line intact with a simple pun.
Oh. Why didn't he say he was referring to that then?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:25 pm

They did, you misunderstood, but they COULD have made it clearer.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:10 am

Scsigs wrote:
It’s Kuririn, not “Kuriririn.” It’s 7 letters, just like Krillin. People just have trouble pronouncing it, but if you say it a few times, it becomes easy.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:52 pm

I'm way behind as I watch via manga UK Blu-ray (the funination dub published here though I think)

Just got up to baseball episode.

That had me laughing way to hard. Then the delivery of "is it just me or does seeing him lying in that crater ring a bell" .

Entire episode could be called "let's be a dick to yamcha" lol vegeta hit him multiple times ect.. it was hilarious. Glad he won the game though as I felt sorry for him lol

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:41 pm

So do you guys think Toonami will air 109/110 together or air them on seperate nights?
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:10 pm

I'm pretty sure they said they would, but even if they didn't I think it's pretty likely that they will.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:26 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:So do you guys think Toonami will air 109/110 together or air them on seperate nights?
No

America rarely airs specials in the same way as Japan does.

It will be split, just like it is on FUNimation, CrunchyRoll, AnimeLab, etc., and will air on separate weekends

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:So do you guys think Toonami will air 109/110 together or air them on seperate nights?
No

It will be split, just like it is on FUNimation, CrunchyRoll, AnimeLab, etc., and will air on separate weekends
Funimation doesn't have it split; they're the only ones who had the real special, eyecatches and missing footage all.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Simere wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
No

Funimation doesn't have it split; they're the only ones who had the real special, eyecatches and missing footage all.
We'll know for certain within the next six weeks, but I can almost guarantee that they won't be a conjoined episode, because that's not how it works in America.

And also - even if FUNimation didn't have the split episodes (they do), they would have to for home video and digital streaming release.

FUNimation have also made it abundantly clear that they have no control over how Toonami choose to air the episodes, if there's a break, a marathon, or something else entirely.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:09 pm

shadowmaria wrote:
Simere wrote:
shadowmaria wrote: No

We'll know for certain within the next six weeks, but I can almost guarantee that they won't be a conjoined episode, because that's not how it works in America.

And also - even if FUNimation didn't have the split episodes (they do), they would have to for home video and digital streaming release.

FUNimation have also made it abundantly clear that they have no control over how Toonami choose to air the episodes, if there's a break, a marathon, or something else entirely.
Why WOULD FUNi have a say in how Toonami airs the show? They don't own them.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:53 pm

I have to say Majora finding the smell of Krillin's shoe offensive was hilarious and ironic since dogs actually love smelly shoes. But it makes logical sense that Majora would be vulnerable to overpowering smells since his sense of smell is abnormally developed even for a canid.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:31 am

I forgot how bad ep 100 was
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:50 am

As Always I enjoyed Funmations Dubbing work but even more so now with the enhancing of the dialogue they gave to Kale. Not just saying Goku's Name alone but adding hating words towards him to represent her anger both vocally as it was being shown physically so well!

Dawn's really pulled it threw in this episode and made me feel for Kale so much, her sweetness is just beyond lovable and her Rage is full with emotion that is backed-up with good writing. :angel:

Felt this enhanced episode 100 so much over the original, Truly Funimation is enhancing each episode of the ToP Nicely!

Kale and Caulifla were the best as always in this episode, the Enthusiasm behind Caulifla was energizing with her fight with Goku and wanting to gain SSJ-2, SSJ-3 and Blue!

Kale getting attack by the U10 guys was Heartbreaking and nasty as before, I know this is a Battle Royal and gang-ups are what happens, but they made this one always darkly vicious, was hard to watch again.

Going to be a Treat hearing Kale and Caulifla's support for one another and team-up dialogue in episode 101 next week! :angel:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:24 am

I don't really like to comment about dubbed episodes but man, they sure increased the homosexual undertones by a good bit lol. No sure how I feel about Vegeta strait up saying that Kale might be the actual "legendary super saiyan" their ancestors took on and her having normal grammar.
Feels over Reals.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:16 pm

Will there be any controversy over Vegeta referring to Kale's transformation as "The Legendary Super Saiyan our ancestors spoke of?" Probably. Also there'll probably be some controversy over the decision to use various adjectives to fill space in Kale's rants. So she's saying things like "Goku the ruiner," "Goku the spineless," "Goku the undeserving," etc. To people who watched the sub before the dub of the original anime back in the day, was it always this obvious when they were trying to get around saying "Son Goku"?

Either way, good ep, good dub. Dawn Bennett and Elizabeth Maxwell are the MVPs of this arc. Dawn did an awesome job as Berserk Kale, you can tell why she's really putting her all into it. We also got to hear Patrick Seitz say "it's over" for the first time, so that's nice. I hope later on we get to hear him say "this attack decides it!" which he says when doing a level 3 in FighterZ and it's just an awesome delivery. It'll be a long time before we get emotive, slightly pony Jiren, we're still in strong-silent for the foreseeable future.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Why on Earth would FUNimation name drop "Legendary Super Saiyan"? Especially after a Broly movie was just recently released that officially retconned and rewrote the mythos behind Broly's character and his transformations?

As far as the main continuity is concerned, or at least stories that are penned by Toriyama himself, the Legendary Super Saiyan for doesn't exist. It's just Broly going Super Saiyan. All this is going to do is just gonna confuse fans.

FUNimation just couldn't help themselves, could they?

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:54 am

Well, obligatory "Funi said 'Legendary Super Saiyan' in EP 100" post it would seem. Very odd choice.

Also, I'm absolutely loving the Kale/Caulifla dub dynamic and very interested to see how it goes when we get to the Kefla stuff. Also love Kale's voice actor this episode. Shes doing a fantastic job portraying calm and berserk at the same time