"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 pm

You are very much correct. I really hope it does come out because I doubt Toonami will survive without Dragon Ball Super.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 pm You are very much correct. I really hope it does come out because I doubt Toonami will survive without Dragon Ball Super.
It survived 2 and half years before acquiring Kai and another 2 years before acquiring Super. Not to mention prior to Toonami's revival, Adult Swim was already airing anime on Saturday nights.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 pm

That was then. Right now Super is the only draw Toonami has. Just look at the ratings where Kai lead the night which is pretty much what would happen if Super ended.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:06 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 pm That was then. Right now Super is the only draw Toonami has. Just look at the ratings where Kai lead the night which is pretty much what would happen if Super ended.
For 5 years [as] was already airing anime in it's timeslot and that's without DB, and when Toonami was revived in 2012, they went on another three years without DB.
Not saying Dragon Ball isn't Toonami's highly rated series, but it's not exactly some lifeline standing between them and cancellation.

What i'm basically saying is that if Super 2.0 by some reason doesn't get dubbed until 2021, Toonami will be fine as they've survived far longer without a series as high rated as DB.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:40 pm

question .. is my imagination or in the Dub caulifla never say "old man" to goku?

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:42 am

Episode 103 I was Greatly Looking Forward too cause of the Epicness that was the Ribrianne vs. Android 17 Fight! 8)

Veronica Taylor Just Keeps getting Better and Better with Each Episode, Her Ribrianne is AMAZING and I already Loved Rina Kitagawa of the Original Japaneses! :D

Really Loved her Heroic Speech here, she pasted a Major Point of DB Voicing and that is Fight Talking and I loved Every Second, Great Dialogue here Too! :clap:

Veronica is Just Making Me Love Ribrianne More and MORE and I did not think that was even Possible! :wink:

Veronica Really gained her Full Stride in this Episode!!! :thumbup: :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxREygno_w&t=11s
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:07 pm

shadd21 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:06 amWhat i'm basically saying is that if Super 2.0 by some reason doesn't get dubbed until 2021, Toonami will be fine as they've survived far longer without a series as high rated as DB.
They could air Dragon Ball as it's a pretty underrated series whereas everyone knows and have seen Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT but skipped Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball is easily one of the best, natural and comedic TOEI 90's (okay, it came out in late 80's) series. Dr. Slump is tons of fun too but the series has yet (if ever will be) licensed by Viz or FUNimation to be dubbed and subbed in English.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:43 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:07 pm
shadd21 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:06 amWhat i'm basically saying is that if Super 2.0 by some reason doesn't get dubbed until 2021, Toonami will be fine as they've survived far longer without a series as high rated as DB.
They could air Dragon Ball as it's a pretty underrated series whereas everyone knows and have seen Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT but skipped Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball is easily one of the best, natural and comedic TOEI 90's (okay, it came out in late 80's) series. Dr. Slump is tons of fun too but the series has yet (if ever will be) licensed by Viz or FUNimation to be dubbed and subbed in English.

Toonami hasn't aired anything from the early or late 80s or 90s that I can think of off the top of my head. Their oldest anime they aired are from the mid-2000s. That and the original Dragon Ball got decent ratings, but most of it was was carryover from Z. When the original Dragon Ball aired, Dragon Ball Z was at its peak of viewership.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

funrush

Post by funrush » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Didn't they used to air Cowboy Bebop a lot? Have they stopped doing that?

I mean if Super season 2 or whatever they decide to call it isn't out by the time the dub catches up, they could just do what they did all those years ago and rerun it. Gives them a little time to market their other shows too, One Piece has never been given a fair shake in the U.S., they could slot that right after Dragon Ball. Or focus on Jojo or My Hero or Attack on Titan, etc.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:46 pm You are very much correct. I really hope it does come out because I doubt Toonami will survive without Dragon Ball Super.
Toonami was doing fine before Dbs and will continue to do fine without it

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:06 pm

Kyle Hebert and Chris Sabat are going strong. Schemmel sounds better as Base Goku in 103 as well.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:26 pm

Goku: "I've got my own tricks silly rabbit"

:lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:30 am

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:26 pm Goku: "I've got my own tricks silly rabbit"

Ah yes, good to see that Funi hasn't outgrown the usage of dumb jokes like from the Z dub [/sarcasm]
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:56 am

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:26 pm Goku: "I've got my own tricks silly rabbit"

Yeah, while it was funny, it really doesn't fit the tone of the scene. In fact, I'd argue with this line the dub has sunk to Z level lows.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:23 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:56 am

Yeah, while it was funny, it really doesn't fit the tone of the scene. In fact, I'd argue with this line the dub has sunk to Z level lows.
That’s a bit hyperbolic. The acting is still fine. From what you guys have been saying it’s been about 1-2 lines per episode that are questionable, compared to whole episodes being bad and the acting being off.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:35 pm

VirtuaBranson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:23 pm
gokaiblue wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:56 am

That’s a bit hyperbolic. The acting is still fine. From what you guys have been saying it’s been about 1-2 lines per episode that are questionable, compared to whole episodes being bad and the acting being off.
When a line is questionable like this, it's really questionable. It is a bit hyperbolic, but line changes like this are a problem.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:39 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:35 pm
VirtuaBranson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:23 pm
gokaiblue wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:56 am Yeah, while it was funny, it really doesn't fit the tone of the scene. In fact, I'd argue with this line the dub has sunk to Z level lows.
When a line is questionable like this, it's really questionable. It is a bit hyperbolic, but line changes like this are a problem.
Watched a clip from it, since I'm waiting for the home releases to binge this entire arc in a few days I didn't see it when it aired. I think you need to re-evaluate that scene, my guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x601yIMmxD4
While the "silly rabbit" line IS a bit much, it looks like it was adlibbed by Schemmel to fit the lip-flaps or timing when the "I've got my own tricks" part was being recorded. Considering the line was also slightly altered to Goku being a bit snarky, but still keeping the original meaning intact, it's not that bad.

And, you guys need to STOP with this, "it's just as bad as the Z dub" bullshit. No. No, it's not. You even admitted yourself that you're being hyperbolic. You're not helping your case with that, you're just being really stupid with it. Kai's dub even had lines like that every so often yet EVERYONE magically forgets that fact like they never happened for some reason. It's not like the days of old with the Z dub where dubbing anime wasn't taken anywhere near as seriously as it is today & FUNi wasn't much better than 4Kids when it came to dubbing because they dubbed the material & treated it as a kid's show first with all the sensibilities that entailed (yes, I know DBZ's a kid's show in Japan, but I think we can all agree that the standards are a bit different for what constitutes a kid's show on the opposite sides of the Pacific & that DBZ is more suited for teens over here at the very least). If you really get freaked out about one line here & there in an otherwise flawless dub, then you REALLY need to rethink your priorities. I'm all for accurate dubs, but when it's complaining about a line that's overall meaningless in the grand scheme of things, I think the nitpicking is at an all time high here.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:50 pm

The Japanese translated line for this was:

"You're really fast. I can see why Hit was having trouble."

But the dub goes as:

"You're pretty fast aren't you? But I've got my own tricks silly rabbit."

I know Funi's trying to put some jokes into their dub, but, is it really necessary? Why can't they just dub the line to its normal translation? Why do this weird stuff? And yes, I get it, it's just one line out of an entire episode, but it just comes off as very odd and somewhat unnecessary.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:03 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:50 pm The Japanese translated line for this was:

"You're really fast. I can see why Hit was having trouble."

But the dub goes as:

"You're pretty fast aren't you? But I've got my own tricks silly rabbit."

I know Funi's trying to put some jokes into their dub, but, is it really necessary? Why can't they just dub the line to its normal translation? Why do this weird stuff? And yes, I get it, it's just one line out of an entire episode, but it just comes off as very odd and somewhat unnecessary.
Is the rest of the episode fine?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:45 pm

Me, watching this episode: people are gonna whinge about this, aren't they?

Me, looking at this thread: yup, they are. Well, at least we're getting that instead of another round of "lol Dyspo is a black guy."