"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tian » Sun May 12, 2019 1:13 am

Oh come on, it can't be so bad...
https://youtu.be/cbktytFq3MI

... Okay. This is the worst version of Ultimate Battle I've heard.

It even makes the Latino version sound like a masterpiece and I think some of you know how that version sounds.

I expected something better. This can't be the official English version.

:(

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 am

Ok well that was...extremely disappointing. I won't give them crap for the "Autonomous Ultra Instinct" because they were kinda screwed due to how long of a phrase it is in Japanese. But everything else...man. Every single line I like from the original was changed and ruined, the dub of Ultimate Battle is horrible, and Sean's UI scream was just...bad. WAY too many effects to the point where they just muddy everything and make it LESS intense, all while completely drowning out Sean's voice. A lot of the voice acting in general also felt bizarrely phoned in.

That was just not good.

Edit: Wow, so to top it all off they couldn't even air the footage correctly and somehow had frames drops LIVE on TV. Quality work, Funi.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Sun May 12, 2019 2:20 am

Damn so it’s bad? One of the more important scenes in the show and they almost completely ruined it? I don’t understand how this keeps falling short.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 12, 2019 3:15 am

Was anyone else as surprised as I was that today was the day of Ultra Instinct? Because I thought Adult Swim was going to promote the hell out of it. Guess not. :cry:
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun May 12, 2019 4:14 am

Artorias wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 am Edit: Wow, so to top it all off they couldn't even air the footage correctly and somehow had frames drops LIVE on TV. Quality work, Funi.
At least it's not as bad as the first time the Ultra Instinct special aired here: black screens and out-of- sync audio everywhere.

Well... not really everywhere but in random moments of the special.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 12, 2019 4:27 am

Artorias wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 amEdit: Wow, so to top it all off they couldn't even air the footage correctly and somehow had frames drops LIVE on TV. Quality work, Funi.
That was most likely an edit made by Adult Swim to reduce the level of flashing images. Typically with Japanese television they'll ghost the frames together and decrease the contrast for a scene with flashing images, though here they've straight up just cut frames out and it's choppy as fuck. It won't be like that on the home release.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun May 12, 2019 4:45 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:27 am
Artorias wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 amEdit: Wow, so to top it all off they couldn't even air the footage correctly and somehow had frames drops LIVE on TV. Quality work, Funi.
That was most likely an edit made by Adult Swim to reduce the level of flashing images. Typically with Japanese television they'll ghost the frames together and decrease the contrast for a scene with flashing images, though here they've straight up just cut frames out and it's choppy as fuck. It won't be like that on the home release.
Yeah I was thinking this might have been the case

Strange since Toonami usually gets unghosted footage for their broadcasts AFAIK, but I did notice a lot of ghosting in SAO tonight as well
Possibly in MHA too but I’m not sure. We did only just get that Blu Ray and who knows how long ago Funi sent those tapes to [AS]

It’s possible in the process of not giving Funimation the Hour special, Toei also didn’t send them a Broadcast-safe version so they had to take the quickest route to make one

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Sun May 12, 2019 7:23 am

For some reason Funimation has issues with sound mixing and not know how to make it work because they screwed up the music in the Broly movie and now they screwed up the sound mixing in this episode. It was so weird, some sounds were louder than others whereas in the Japanese airing the sounds were all even, hell even the Ultimate Battle soundtrack was louder but they butchered that as well. I liked the performances but they could've been better. But seriously I was cringing to that dubbed Ultimate Battle holy hell.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:18 am

Was it just me or did the instruments also sound different for Ultimate Battle, like they had to redo the whole track?

I was far from impressed with this dub episode, considering what a moment it was in the JP screening. I even found myself dissapointed in Ian Sinclair's performance. Whis being happy for Goku's Ultra Instinct was one of my favourite moments and he just had a bit too little enthusiasm and 'Whisness' for my liking.

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 am

What were they thinking using that dub of ultimate battle? Sounds like he recorded it in a garbage can. They should have just left it alone.

It does sound like they turned the music down a bit, which I do like. I thought it was a bit too loud in the original.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 am

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:23 am For some reason Funimation has issues with sound mixing and not know how to make it work because they screwed up the music in the Broly movie and now they screwed up the sound mixing in this episode. It was so weird, some sounds were louder than others whereas in the Japanese airing the sounds were all even, hell even the Ultimate Battle soundtrack was louder but they butchered that as well. I liked the performances but they could've been better. But seriously I was cringing to that dubbed Ultimate Battle holy hell.
It's also an issue they had with Fairy Tail I remember the music was also quieter and whenever I switched over to the Japanese it was a lot better. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out DBS had the same sound mixer.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 12, 2019 9:38 am

DasMuse wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:51 am What were they thinking using that dub of ultimate battle? Sounds like he recorded it in a garbage can. They should have just left it alone.

It does sound like they turned the music down a bit, which I do like. I thought it was a bit too loud in the original.
Well, dub the music by itself isn't a bad decision actually. The brazilian portuguese dub did it and it was an amazing job.
If you want to compare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob2XKgmrYD4 (ep 110)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmWCQ39MKpY (full ver)

But the english version is on par with the latin american spanish version that was played in episode 131. It is not good.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 12, 2019 11:05 am

Episode 110 of Super was one of the best episodes in all of Dragon Ball-dom and FUNimation managed to to majorly misfire in an episode where they needed to hit all the right notes. Some of the best dialogue was cut and/or changed, the performances were subpar and the English dub of Ultimate Battle was horrendous. It takes a lot to ruin the awesomeness of Ultimate Battle, but FUNimation managed to do it. For fucks sake FUNimation, if ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think I'm done with the FUNimation dub of Super because FUNimation obviously have no fucking idea how to direct English dubs for Dragon Ball project.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 12, 2019 11:11 am

Artorias wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 am Ok well that was...extremely disappointing. I won't give them crap for the "Autonomous Ultra Instinct" because they were kinda screwed due to how long of a phrase it is in Japanese. But everything else...man. Every single line I like from the original was changed and ruined, the dub of Ultimate Battle is horrible, and Sean's UI scream was just...bad. WAY too many effects to the point where they just muddy everything and make it LESS intense, all while completely drowning out Sean's voice. A lot of the voice acting in general also felt bizarrely phoned in.

That was just not good.

Edit: Wow, so to top it all off they couldn't even air the footage correctly and somehow had frames drops LIVE on TV. Quality work, Funi.
That is not new in the english dub of Super. It's an excess of post-production. Too much reverb/echo effects that are unnecessary.
Also, someone told here in the topic before that the audio quality is a bit less budgeted on Adult Swim's broadcast.
Last edited by SaintEvolution on Sun May 12, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Sun May 12, 2019 11:12 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:05 am It take a lot to ruin Ultimate Battle, but FUNimation managed to do it. For fucks sake FUNimation, if ain't broke, don't fix it. I think I'm done with the FUNimation dub of Super because they obviously have no fucking idea how to direct English dubs for Dragon Ball.
Ever since the whole Vic thing happened its as if Funimation has lost all care for this property, one failure after another its insane. It's depressing because I was so looking forward to seeing the subbed scenes done in the dub and hell for the most part it was great until the Universal Survival arc. All these failures keep adding up and I don't anticipate the episodes being done well anymore, James Marsters was a break out role among the dub, on par with the sub, perfect casting for Kale, Caulifla, Hit, Jiren but everything now just leaves a sour taste in my mouth every week. At this point I'm only watching the dub because I feel "obligated" to cuz why not? Just imagine from now on when you watch the dub you'll be hearing that God awful Ultimate Battle dub everytime it shows up in the Anime, oh my God what's going to happen to that amazing final episode? I shudder what the whole song is going to be like going forward. The sad thing is that this ruins it for the dub only people while the sub watchers will have the fond memory of the sub.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun May 12, 2019 2:54 pm

I thought the dub was actually pretty good. Only two major complaints:

1. Could they have said Son Goku at least once? Some of the lines they wrote to cover it (such as Beerus's "Are you finished?") aren't that good.

2. That English cover of Ultimate Battle sucked.

Other than that, it's a solid dub episode. I actually thought Schemmel screamed a bit better than Nozawa when he was being absorbed by the Spirit Bomb. It actually sounded like he was in pain. Ian Sinclair stole the show as Whis, and Chris Sabat is actually getting more and more back.to how he sounded in Kai as Vegeta instead of the weird hybrid he's had going on.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun May 12, 2019 3:19 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:11 am
Artorias wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 am Ok well that was...extremely disappointing. I won't give them crap for the "Autonomous Ultra Instinct" because they were kinda screwed due to how long of a phrase it is in Japanese. But everything else...man. Every single line I like from the original was changed and ruined, the dub of Ultimate Battle is horrible, and Sean's UI scream was just...bad. WAY too many effects to the point where they just muddy everything and make it LESS intense, all while completely drowning out Sean's voice. A lot of the voice acting in general also felt bizarrely phoned in.

That was just not good.

That is not new in the english dub of Super. It's an excess of post-production. Too much reverb/echo effects that are unnecessary.
Also, someone told here in the topic before that the audio quality is a bit less budgeted on Adult Swim's broadcast.
The thing is though, I actually don't even mind the effects on Schemmel and other people's screams as much as most. So this is coming from someone that isn't even as bothered as most of the fanbase by the typical effects they use. It's just THIS specific instance was awful in my opinion. You can tell Sean was putting his heart into it underneath all of that garbage, but he was just so overpowered and distorted so it ended up sounding like an amorphous blob of nothing.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 12, 2019 5:12 pm

Yeah the song was yikes, but had no major issues other than that, performances were stellar, script not the best but serviceable.

Honestly though, I can live with whatever minor changes are made here. I'm not a huge fan of this arc in retrospect and I don't see myself revisiting it much, if at all in the next few years so it won't really affect my enjoyment of Super's dub as a whole.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Sun May 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Any chance they clean some of this up for the Blu-Ray? I'm kinda surprised this stuff is devolving to be honest as they should know better by now. They have a history of fixing things compared to the broadcast.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:39 pm

There were like three things that were actually good about this arc in the TV series, and Funimation ruined two of them back to back in five minutes. That's impressive.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.