"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon May 20, 2019 2:44 am

Surprised to see nobody bringing it up, but who voices The Universe 6 Namekians? It's probably not Scott McNeil like a lot of us hoped for.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon May 20, 2019 3:12 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:44 am Surprised to see nobody bringing it up, but who voices The Universe 6 Namekians? It's probably not Scott McNeil like a lot of us hoped for.
Brandon Potter - Saonel
Jarrod Greene - Pirina

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:43 am

More low framerate in tonight's episode.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 26, 2019 4:36 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 2:44 am Surprised to see nobody bringing it up, but who voices The Universe 6 Namekians? It's probably not Scott McNeil like a lot of us hoped for.
I legitimately can't see why anyone would be surprised by this. Scott McNeil is probably a very busy guy. Even over the phone, I can't imagine he'd have been able to record for the show considering they only record the dub a month or 2 in advance of the airings on Toonami. Brian Drummond was a spur of the moment kind of thing in the first place & probably wouldn't have happened if he didn't have the free time & that studio he recorded in wasn't free that morning. And that was just for one character who appeared in 2 & some change episodes. It probably wouldn't have been logistically feasible to get Scott back, honestly.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun May 26, 2019 5:15 am

superfan2024 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:43 am More low framerate in tonight's episode.
I hope this issue won't be on the home release. Super already has its fair share of issues, it doesn't need Funimation adding anything to it.
Scsigs wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:28 pmIf you seriously think they aren't trying, you clearly are not judging the show as a whole. If anything seems lazy, it's probably because the show itself in the first place just wasn't that good.
Didn't Chris Sabat say that due to everyone watching it Japanese they weren't giving it the same attention that they gave Kai and the new movies ? I do agree that the lackluster source material they have to work with doesn't help.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 26, 2019 7:27 am

sintzu wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:15 am
Scsigs wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:28 pmIf you seriously think they aren't trying, you clearly are not judging the show as a whole. If anything seems lazy, it's probably because the show itself in the first place just wasn't that good.
Didn't Chris Sabat say that due to everyone watching it Japanese they weren't giving it the same attention that they gave Kai and the new movies ? I do agree that the lackluster source material they have to work with doesn't help.
I don't know, did he? That's what everyone else is saying the mentality is, but I haven't seen anything saying Sabat himself has said that.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:27 am
sintzu wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:15 am
I don't know, did he? That's what everyone else is saying the mentality is, but I haven't seen anything saying Sabat himself has said that.

Sure did - https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/10 ... 84480?s=19
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 26, 2019 11:17 am

Ajay wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 am
sintzu wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:15 am Didn't Chris Sabat say that due to everyone watching it Japanese they weren't giving it the same attention that they gave Kai and the new movies ? I do agree that the lackluster source material they have to work with doesn't help.
Ah, ok. That adds up.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun May 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:17 am
Ajay wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 am
Ah, ok. That adds up.
With all due respect to Sabat it's a poor excuse for why some of the liberties in Super's dub have crossed the line. Kai's accuracy should be a minimum standard, not an achievement on a good day. And Super's dub has had many good days, I just want it to keep having them.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun May 26, 2019 3:12 pm

I think the thing to then ask is if that's the case, provided Funi gets the Super 2.0 dub going faster than 1.0, will accuracy be a bigger priority? Because I feel like they wouldn't own up to that if asked.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun May 26, 2019 7:27 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:43 am More low framerate in tonight's episode.
Yup. On the bright side, we got to hear Sabat's Vegeta say "moo-stache" again.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:27 pm
That was a reference to TFS correct?

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun May 26, 2019 7:42 pm

shadd21 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Nope, GT. Which TFS later referenced in their Moo-stache song.

Unrelated side note: if you use GT Vegeta in DB Legends, Sabat gives him his old raspy voice instead of the updated one he uses for every other version of Vegeta.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 26, 2019 7:54 pm

shadd21 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 pm
Nope. Look up that moment on YouTube or something. Sabat pronounced it like that in GT. TFS was referencing that dub moment, as was Sabat.
Shaddy wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:12 pm I think the thing to then ask is if that's the case, provided Funi gets the Super 2.0 dub going faster than 1.0, will accuracy be a bigger priority? Because I feel like they wouldn't own up to that if asked.
Probably. Depending on how fast Toei would fast-track the dubs of the series, FUNi won't be able to do too many alterations to the scripts. At most, probably just some dialogue based on visual puns, like the, "I forgot my tractor" adlib Schemmel did in an outtake that Sabat left in the dub. I don't think a lot of people would probably mind that. Though we don't know how much lagtime we'll have between the US & Japanese airings in terms of days until they do it.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon May 27, 2019 4:03 am

This was a good return to form in my opinion, largely in fact due to the Universe 6 Saiyans especially Cabba's VA who shone especially bright here, Clifford Chapin is his name. Didn't realise he has had some other huge roles including Bakugo from MHA, that's awesome. His performance was so spirited and well delivered, loved it.

The only low note I have is that the 2nd fiddle line from Toppo to Vegeta which to me was one of Super's most iconic lines didn't land particularly well here.

From the animelab/crunchyroll subs:

Vegeta: I'm not interested in the second fiddle.

Toppo: Aren't you the second fiddle too?

Vegeta: You dare!? Then see for yourself!

As opposed to

Vegeta: I don't pluck second strings.

Toppo: But you're second on your own team, aren't you.

Vegeta: Oh shut it Moustache. Why don't you come find out for yourself!

I actually like the last line better with the added insult and what is apparently a sneaky GT reference, but I really miss how in the Japanese Toppo was comparing how they are both second fiddle which makes their fight a lot more personal. Not to mention second fiddle is a much more recognized idiom then what plucking second strings relates to.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Is that really a bright side? I think it's just another one of Funi's unnecessary stupid joke dub lines in Super. They just can't get enough of those can they :yawn:

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:04 pm

nato25 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:03 am This was a good return to form in my opinion, largely in fact due to the Universe 6 Saiyans especially Cabba's VA who shone especially bright here, Clifford Chapin is his name. Didn't realise he has had some other huge roles including Bakugo from MHA, that's awesome. His performance was so spirited and well delivered, loved it.

The only low note I have is that the 2nd fiddle line from Toppo to Vegeta which to me was one of Super's most iconic lines didn't land particularly well here.

As opposed to

I actually like the last line better with the added insult and what is apparently a sneaky GT reference, but I really miss how in the Japanese Toppo was comparing how they are both second fiddle which makes their fight a lot more personal. Not to mention second fiddle is a much more recognized idiom then what plucking second strings relates to.
I agree with your post aside from the moustache part. I hated that. I agree in the case that Funi didn't quite get the performance of the "second fiddle" line and meaning in the straightforward way it was presented in the original sub.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:09 am

superfan2024 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:04 pm
nato25 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:03 am This was a good return to form in my opinion, largely in fact due to the Universe 6 Saiyans especially Cabba's VA who shone especially bright here, Clifford Chapin is his name. Didn't realise he has had some other huge roles including Bakugo from MHA, that's awesome. His performance was so spirited and well delivered, loved it.

As opposed to

I agree with your post aside from the moustache part. I hated that. I agree in the case that Funi didn't quite get the performance of the "second fiddle" line and meaning in the straightforward way it was presented in the original sub.
Fair enough. The liberties taken with the dub are definitely a hot topic of contention in the forums and greater communities. At the end of the day though it's Sabat call apparently and this is the product we have. I think it's fine for a dub to be more adapted personally and if they want to go that route, as long as the general meaning of each line is kept I am fine with it.

When dialogue is just straight up replaced and missing all original intention (for example, I watched Sleeping Princess Devil's Castle with English dub on but the original subtitles and almost none of that original meaning was coming across) then I definitely take issue.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:18 pm

Episode 113: Again... more low frame-rate.

EDIT: Okay now this is getting kind of distracting; this is the worst use of low frame-rate so far.

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:38 pm

A solid performance from all parties here, but the frame-rate drops are astoundingly intrusive and completely hurt these premieres, especially with the frantic repeat frames of this battle. If this is the standard we're getting all the way up to Goku vs. Jiren.... yeesh. Might just wait until the proper masters on the Bluray or something. Anyone who's potentially watching dub-only, know that the choppiness isn't an issue with the original production but with whatever's being delivered between Funimation / Toei / Toonami.
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!