"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Oh wow I definitely did 😲. No wonder I couldn’t tell a difference at all so your telling me that the episode with Baba and Frieza is now the old and new Frieza interacting 😱

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 pm
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm Hey guys can someone clarify something for me Geekdom101 was talking about the last episode of Super and said Chris Ayres did a phenomenal job. I was under the impression Daman Mills took over as Frieza after episode 92? If not and I am mistaken what episode did Chris come back to voice Frieza again. It’s great if he has been healthy enough to return on the episodes. I know he was Frieza in Broly but that is a lot less involved than lots of episodes.
Some time after Daman took over. Chris rerecorded the episodes he did & after, then they switched to his takes for the broadcast & they're on the home releases. They announced that months ago. I think Sabat tweeted that out. Did you miss that? I thought it was brought up here when it happened.
Most people don't always see every bit of discussion for a topic.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:17 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:27 pm Oh wow I definitely did 😲. No wonder I couldn’t tell a difference at all so your telling me that the episode with Baba and Frieza is now the old and new Frieza interacting 😱
TFS Vegeta from DBZKA: Yes.
Dun dun dun!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm Hey guys can someone clarify something for me Geekdom101 was talking about the last episode of Super and said Chris Ayres did a phenomenal job. I was under the impression Daman Mills took over as Frieza after episode 92? If not and I am mistaken what episode did Chris come back to voice Frieza again. It’s great if he has been healthy enough to return on the episodes. I know he was Frieza in Broly but that is a lot less involved than lots of episodes.
Chris took over for the broadcast in 108 (the Frost ep) but the home release of 93-104 is available and covers everything he missed. I went back to watch them on AnimeLab and it was him. At first I wasn’t sure which one it was and had to check the credits, which goes to show how good a job Daman did.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Due to his health issues, he could only pick one or the other.

Essentially he looked at the material and decided to prioritize Broly, either because it was less intensive to do one film or because he liked the material more.

Once he was freed up from that he came back, at some point re-recording the material Daman Mills had dubbed for the Blu ray (likely do in no small part to how Frieza didn’t actually have that much material in the period when he came back)

Mills still seems to be covering some material, though. I won’t know for sure till it’s out, but some of the voice quirks in the Kakarot trailers sound like him

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:00 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 pmMills still seems to be covering some material, though. I won’t know for sure till it’s out, but some of the voice quirks in the Kakarot trailers sound like him
I wouldn't be surprised if the arrangement going forward is that Chris does the TV Series and Movies, and Daman does the Video Games.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:17 am

Some quick notes:
  • As Mr. Pickens promised, the "Hit of Universe 11" flub from the Toonami broadcast version was corrected on the home release.
  • The Ultimate Battle cover was preformed by Elliot Coleman, who also did the cover for ED 6 ("Cha-han Music"). ED 11's cover (Lagrima) was sung by Amanda Lee/AmaLee.
  • In fact, Brina Palencia (who's responsible for organizing these guest singers) identified every individual ending's cover artist.
  • Solid work for Episodes 130 and 131 from everyone on the FUNimation staff for the most part. Patrick Seitz in particular continues to show an emotive range with his Jiren, almost on par Eiji Hanawa's own.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 am

UltraPrimus22 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:17 am Some quick notes:
  • As Mr. Pickens promised, the "Hit of Universe 11" flub from the Toonami broadcast version was corrected on the home release.
  • The Ultimate Battle cover was preformed by Elliot Coleman, who also did the cover for ED 6 ("Cha-han Music"). ED 11's cover (Lagrima) was sung by Amanda Lee/AmaLee.
  • In fact, Brina Palencia (who's responsible for organizing these guest singers) identified every individual ending's cover artist.
  • Solid work for Episodes 130 and 131 from everyone on the FUNimation staff for the most part. Patrick Seitz in particular continues to show an emotive range with his Jiren, almost on par Eiji Hanawa's own.
She revealed the Ultimate Battle singer? I mean, can't blame her for wanting to promote, but oh boy. That kid is probably in for some shit....

Seitz did a great job. Now we're at the end, I'd say the DB Super dub easily has the best casting and acting calibre of any Dragon Ball English dub. A big part of that was the strong talent behind the new key characters- Jason Douglas, Ian Sinclair, Daman Mills, Matt Mercer, Sarah Wiedenheft, Josh Grelle, James Marsters, Elizabeth Maxwell, Dawn Bennett. All of them did a terrific job, and Patrick Seitz might end up being the best of the bunch. Crazy we can talk about the incredible emotional range for a character many consider bland and cliche.

Speaking of, shout-out to the Dragon Ball Super official Twitter for taking this comment from the NYCC panel about Jiren's backstory out of context. He's been getting a bit of shit for that one. Thing is, Seitz seems like a pretty switched-on "I'm one of the fans" type of guy from what I've seen. Either he was being tongue-in-cheek or he's just doing it for promotion. Even Vic Migogna was smart enough to take the piss out of Broly at cons.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:05 am

That's awesome for Amelee. Her covers have always been high quality. It's great that she got a professional opportunity. In general the Super ending covers have been hit and miss. Still I feel it's a bit retro to to dub a insert songs but I guess it's better than silence.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:45 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:00 pm
AzuraRacon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 pmMills still seems to be covering some material, though. I won’t know for sure till it’s out, but some of the voice quirks in the Kakarot trailers sound like him
I wouldn't be surprised if the arrangement going forward is that Chris does the TV Series and Movies, and Daman does the Video Games.
I honestly wouldn’t mind this
He also does an absolutely fantastic Cell if they ever run into a situation where Clarke isn’t available

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:17 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:45 pm I honestly wouldn’t mind this
He also does an absolutely fantastic Cell if they ever run into a situation where Clarke isn’t available.
They already have Travis Willingham as an alternate for Cell.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:55 am

Scsigs wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:17 pm
AzuraRacon wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:45 pm I honestly wouldn’t mind this
He also does an absolutely fantastic Cell if they ever run into a situation where Clarke isn’t available.
They already have Travis Willingham as an alternate for Cell.
I’m aware, and I frankly don’t really like his Cell

My main point is, Mills can do an impression of Clarke’s Cell even more spot on than his Frieza is to Ayers’
So if they want to go for seamless; he’s right there

He used to have a ton of videos of it on his YouTube but he wiped all his fandub stuff when Funimation officially brought him on

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:42 pm

AzuraRacon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:55 am I’m aware, and I frankly don’t really like his Cell

My main point is, Mills can do an impression of Clarke’s Cell even more spot on than his Frieza is to Ayers’
So if they want to go for seamless; he’s right there

He used to have a ton of videos of it on his YouTube but he wiped all his fandub stuff when Funimation officially brought him on
I know, but they won't get him to do Cell when they have both Dameon & Travis.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 pm

So long as they never get the guy who did Cell in Kai TFC ever again I'll be content.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:54 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 pm So long as they never get the guy who did Cell in Kai TFC ever again I'll be content.
They could've just reused Dameon's line from Z if they really couldn't be fucked to bring him back for TFC. That's one of the most baffling dub decisions they've ever made.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:54 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 pm So long as they never get the guy who did Cell in Kai TFC ever again I'll be content.
They could've just reused Dameon's line from Z if they really couldn't be fucked to bring him back for TFC. That's one of the most baffling dub decisions they've ever made.
With the exception of the Cell Games Reenactment fiasco, which was a last minute change, they made it a point not to reuse Z dialog as is. I'd hardly call it baffling.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Z audio perhaps, but Z dialog was fair game. Even if most of the dialogue was changed, you still have moments where old dialogue is recycled.

-"Hop to, I got this thing working!" (Saban Z, after Bulma fixed the scouter) (followed by slightly modified Ultimate Uncut Z dialogue when Bulma shoots Roshi and Krillin)
- (a large chunk of the dialogue scene cut in Saban Z where Kami is talking to Mr. Popo was taken from the Ultimate Uncut Z dub)
-"You've always been like this. Ever since the day I first met you. Always ready to meet the next challenge, even if it's bigger than you are." (Funi Z) vs "You've always been like this. Ever since the day I first met you, when my conquering the frontier worlds brought me to Earth. You were always ready to meet a challenge, even when it was bigger than you were." (Funi Kai)
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:06 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:39 am It was a goof about the number of gimmick fighters that had shown up in the tournament up to that point. It must have gone down well, he became a bit of a meme afterward. And then Toyotaro had to go and explain the joke in his version. People call him the next successor to Toriyama, do me a favour...
:lol:

That's sounds more like a insult than anything. I hope someday Toriyama realizes how untalented Toyotaro is.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Toyotaro's a good artist, but Toriyama calling him the one person that can closely match his original style is a BIT of a stretch considering how many people have learned to mimic it.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:17 pm

I guess this is a good place to put this. Ayres got his surgery.

YEET