"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Prince Vegeta > Vegeta-sama.

But yes great episode, finally get that Angel knowledge drop totally forgot the dub hadn't had it yet lol. That moment when Goku and Vegeta slammed Zamasu and Black respectively at the same time was very satisfying. Only nitpick this episode is wish they had Vegeta call Goku a "fool/idiot" rather than "clown" when beating on Black, I hate whenever they use "clown" and they started bringing it back in Kai TFC /:

I have no idea why people blame next episodes seal on Goku when Roshi clearly here didn't give it to him nor even after be like "Goku you forgot this" just sat there smug.
"Clown" has the same colloquial meaning as either "idiot" or "fool," though. They''re not ever wrong for using it. In fact, it's kinda better since it has him appear to see Goku as more of a jester than a fighter.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:40 pm

I disagree about Trunks, funnily enough I feel its the opposite. In 63 he sounded the most like original z trunks I've heard yet, dropping that rasp from xenoverse completely.

Meanehile yeah vegeta definitely sounded a bit off to me in 63 but goku sounded fine. Black definitely changes subtlely between episodes but I never really feel any interpretation is bad. In a show where a characters hair can change retroactively and thats supposed to be fine its the least of my woreies.

Youre right its far from perfect, but i guess it's like how everyone complained about sabats vegeta in battle of gods, it must be near impossible to go back and mimic the exact same voice you were doing back then. I guess that's why I probably feel like each new actor is absolutely killing it while the older ones are a bit of a mixed bag.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue May 15, 2018 2:52 pm

nato25 wrote:I disagree about Trunks, funnily enough I feel its the opposite. In 63 he sounded the most like original z trunks I've heard yet, dropping that rasp from xenoverse completely.

Meanehile yeah vegeta definitely sounded a bit off to me in 63 but goku sounded fine. Black definitely changes subtlely between episodes but I never really feel any interpretation is bad. In a show where a characters hair can change retroactively and thats supposed to be fine its the least of my woreies.

Youre right its far from perfect, but i guess it's like how everyone complained about sabats vegeta in battle of gods, it must be near impossible to go back and mimic the exact same voice you were doing back then. I guess that's why I probably feel like each new actor is absolutely killing it while the older ones are a bit of a mixed bag.
Most of that is on purpose. All the old cast have purpose change their performance, like Piccolo since Kai sounds almost nothing like he did in Z. Seans standout since as Sabat noted, Sean never had a 'bad performance'. Like, Sabat has the infamous 'Piccolo's motivation speech' and almost all of Vegeta's line from the Freeza Saga and even parts of the Android Saga had to be redone on the old bricks since Vegeta's vocal changed. The same with Krillin's voice. In comparison, almost all of Sean's performances age well with the only cringe-worthy thing being the script, not the actual performance. Like although Sean's 'ally to good, nightmare to you' is used a mocking point, almost no one says it wasn't delivered extremely well. In fact, you could say it was done too well since people always point to this moment to say 'Goku is a hero' or 'Funi butcher Goku's character', despite Goku never being presented that heroic ever again in the dub.

Overall, I feel Vegeta in Super sounds far more natural than he did in Z outside of the Buu Saga and Vegeta's emotional moments don't feel forced like it used to. Goku doesn't standout as much since Seans has always been good and only evolved how Goku's speaks.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue May 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Scsigs wrote:

But yes great episode, finally get that Angel knowledge drop totally forgot the dub hadn't had it yet lol. That moment when Goku and Vegeta slammed Zamasu and Black respectively at the same time was very satisfying. Only nitpick this episode is wish they had Vegeta call Goku a "fool/idiot" rather than "clown" when beating on Black, I hate whenever they use "clown" and they started bringing it back in Kai TFC /:

I have no idea why people blame next episodes seal on Goku when Roshi clearly here didn't give it to him nor even after be like "Goku you forgot this" just sat there smug.
"Clown" has the same colloquial meaning as either "idiot" or "fool," though. They''re not ever wrong for using it. In fact, it's kinda better since it has him appear to see Goku as more of a jester than a fighter.
Except Vegeta does view Goku as a fighter. He acknowledged it in Z, he acknowledged it while beating down Black, he acknowledged it while Goku fought Jiren, he's acknowledged it several times.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Except Vegeta does view Goku as a fighter. He acknowledged it in Z, he acknowledged it while beating down Black, he acknowledged it while Goku fought Jiren, he's acknowledged it several times.
True, but that doesn't mean that Goku doesn't still act like a clown. Goku, even though he IS a fighter, is a rather bad one. He acts more like a clown than anything else.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: "Clown" has the same colloquial meaning as either "idiot" or "fool," though. They''re not ever wrong for using it. In fact, it's kinda better since it has him appear to see Goku as more of a jester than a fighter.
True, but that doesn't mean that Goku doesn't still act like a clown. Goku, even though he IS a fighter, is a rather bad one. He acts more like a clown than anything else.
How is Goku a bad fighter? He's not. The show never portrays him as such. Vegeta contrasting Gohan with himself and Goku during the Dabra fight alone makes this clear.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:20 pm

He's clown remark has nothing to do with fighting. It's always been a remark about his carefree and happy go lucky attitude as opposed to Vegeta's serious demeanor. I like the use of it here as that was always Vegeta go to insult and I did really enjoy the circus clown line from the dub during the Majin Vegeta speech. Nice little dub throwback even if it is definitely down on the scale of faithful to the sub.

For me the look and sound of DBZ (in regards to voice acting) peaked in the Buu Arc. I haven't minded what I've heard in all the new material, for me it's mostly great it just has not reached those peaks of the Buu Arc and the consistency that arc also had.

This is far cry from the worst of the dub though. Anyone remember the introduction episodes for the first time both Future Trunks and Kid Trunks appears, both were like some strange trial pilot and were awful compared to the settled performances.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed May 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Did...Did Zamasu call Black "my dear counterpart"? Oh myyyy :wink:

The delivery of the "I'm simply intoxicated with myself" line from Zamasu was simply divine. Has always been one of the funniest moments of the arc (this line brought me more laughs than all the Pilaf gang antics combined)
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 pm

HeroR wrote:
nato25 wrote:I disagree about Trunks, funnily enough I feel its the opposite. In 63 he sounded the most like original z trunks I've heard yet, dropping that rasp from xenoverse completely.

Most of that is on purpose. All the old cast have purpose change their performance, like Piccolo since Kai sounds almost nothing like he did in Z. Seans standout since as Sabat noted, Sean never had a 'bad performance'. Like, Sabat has the infamous 'Piccolo's motivation speech' and almost all of Vegeta's line from the Freeza Saga and even parts of the Android Saga had to be redone on the old bricks since Vegeta's vocal changed. The same with Krillin's voice. In comparison, almost all of Sean's performances age well with the only cringe-worthy thing being the script, not the actual performance. Like although Sean's 'ally to good, nightmare to you' is used a mocking point, almost no one says it wasn't delivered extremely well. In fact, you could say it was done too well since people always point to this moment to say 'Goku is a hero' or 'Funi butcher Goku's character', despite Goku never being presented that heroic ever again in the dub.

Overall, I feel Vegeta in Super sounds far more natural than he did in Z outside of the Buu Saga and Vegeta's emotional moments don't feel forced like it used to. Goku doesn't standout as much since Seans has always been good and only evolved how Goku's speaks.
Eh, I think Sean's earliest stuff as Goku was absolute shit, but there was a significant improvement post-Super Saiyan transformation.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu May 17, 2018 2:31 am

HeroR wrote:Most of that is on purpose. All the old cast have purpose change their performance, like Piccolo since Kai sounds almost nothing like he did in Z. Seans standout since as Sabat noted, Sean never had a 'bad performance'. Like, Sabat has the infamous 'Piccolo's motivation speech' and almost all of Vegeta's line from the Freeza Saga and even parts of the Android Saga had to be redone on the old bricks since Vegeta's vocal changed. The same with Krillin's voice. In comparison, almost all of Sean's performances age well with the only cringe-worthy thing being the script, not the actual performance. Like although Sean's 'ally to good, nightmare to you' is used a mocking point, almost no one says it wasn't delivered extremely well. In fact, you could say it was done too well since people always point to this moment to say 'Goku is a hero' or 'Funi butcher Goku's character', despite Goku never being presented that heroic ever again in the dub.

I disagree with Sean's takes never being bad. There are absolutely cringeworthy moments for him in the dub at a lot of points besides the scripts. He always sounded like he was on the cusp of sounding natural in the role, but never fully did, even at his best in Z. When I listen to Sean's actual GOOD voice acting from Kai & Super, plus the last 2 movies, it really puts it into perspective for me. Seriously, look up a comparison video. If it's not the occasional big moment, he was a real letdown in Z as Goku. You can even compare his performance in Z to the video game dubs recorded after the Z dub was done & the difference is quite apparent. For instance, go look up a comparison video for the scene where Goku & Vegeta fuse into Vegito. Even Kirby Morrow was able to give a more convincing performance of the lines as Goku than Sean, which probably isn't a great comparison, since Kirby was a more experienced union actor compared to Sean, who was still a newbie nonunion one at the time, but that's the truth of the matter. God, I wish they'd gone back to do better takes with Sean, even with the older dub's terrible script.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 am

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:Most of that is on purpose. All the old cast have purpose change their performance, like Piccolo since Kai sounds almost nothing like he did in Z. Seans standout since as Sabat noted, Sean never had a 'bad performance'. Like, Sabat has the infamous 'Piccolo's motivation speech' and almost all of Vegeta's line from the Freeza Saga and even parts of the Android Saga had to be redone on the old bricks since Vegeta's vocal changed. The same with Krillin's voice. In comparison, almost all of Sean's performances age well with the only cringe-worthy thing being the script, not the actual performance. Like although Sean's 'ally to good, nightmare to you' is used a mocking point, almost no one says it wasn't delivered extremely well. In fact, you could say it was done too well since people always point to this moment to say 'Goku is a hero' or 'Funi butcher Goku's character', despite Goku never being presented that heroic ever again in the dub.

I disagree with Sean's takes never being bad. There are absolutely cringeworthy moments for him in the dub at a lot of points besides the scripts. He always sounded like he was on the cusp of sounding natural in the role, but never fully did, even at his best in Z. When I listen to Sean's actual GOOD voice acting from Kai & Super, plus the last 2 movies, it really puts it into perspective for me. Seriously, look up a comparison video. If it's not the occasional big moment, he was a real letdown in Z as Goku. You can even compare his performance in Z to the video game dubs recorded after the Z dub was done & the difference is quite apparent. For instance, go look up a comparison video for the scene where Goku & Vegeta fuse into Vegito. Even Kirby Morrow was able to give a more convincing performance of the lines as Goku than Sean, which probably isn't a great comparison, since Kirby was a more experienced union actor compared to Sean, who was still a newbie nonunion one at the time, but that's the truth of the matter. God, I wish they'd gone back to do better takes with Sean, even with the older dub's terrible script.
Got any examples of those comparison videos, id love to watch them.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:55 am

The English dub makes it clear Toriyama loves Vegeta. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu May 17, 2018 12:04 pm

nato25 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Got any examples of those comparison videos, id love to watch them.
His performance only seems 'shit' when compared to his new stuff. Almost none of his actual speaking roles were horrible to the point that Funi felt they needed to be completely redone like Vegeta, Krillin, and even Linda's Freeza.

And I have looked at comparison videos, thank you.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Man you misread me I wasn't attacking you at all. I want to see the videos for myself as I'm curious. Not saying they dont exist or anything.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Gotta agree with Kirby being better than Z Sean. I mentioned it a while back on another thread but it didn't really hit me until watching the Z Ocean dub but the biggest takeaway was the SS3 transformation, imo Kirby was miles better a lot of Z Seans screaming was just that screaming there wasn't any nuance to them like his modern stuff.

Modeen Sean is easily the best English dubbed Goku, however his old Z self nowhere near. Crazy how much he's improved.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu May 17, 2018 8:03 pm

nato25 wrote:Got any examples of those comparison videos, id love to watch them.
Tried to find that video, but I think the account, Immagoku, got taken down. Basically, this kind of video was what I was talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GsAbLNpVdM or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tteDn8Sn7qA. Now, those were decent takes from the original Z dub, especially since they were from the redubbed 1-67 episode chunk, but, unfortunately, not the one I was looking for.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Your comparison makes no sense. In the original he already address himself as a prince before saying "Vegeta-sama", so a better translation would be "Because I'm Vegeta, the prince of all Saiyans!"
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat May 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Well guys, the day has finally come. The English birth of Merged/Fused/Whatever Zamasu. And I know SupremeKai25 is stoked about this.
Caulifla best girl! :)

TRIZACK
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TRIZACK » Sat May 19, 2018 4:07 pm

I can't wait to see Marster's scene when Zamasu gets sucked into the Mafuba.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sat May 19, 2018 11:46 pm

TRIZACK wrote:I can't wait to see Marster's scene when Zamasu gets sucked into the Mafuba.
I thought his screams were great.

I didn't like the words chosen for the Merged Zamasu birth, except for the last line, which James delivered beautifully. One thing I also wasn't fond of was the moment Trunks and Mai mouth off to Zamasu as he is being sucked up by the Mafuba. In the Japanese dub, the duo really hammered home their point about not underestimating mortals. In this dub, I didn't feel any emotion at all from Mai.