"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mewzard
I Live Here

"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mewzard » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:11 pm

Toei Animation's Twitter just confirmed that Dragon Ball Super has been licensed by FUNimation for an official English Dub! They got the works for Super: "The license covers streaming, digital download, home video distribution, broadcast opportunities, and merchandising."

https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation

"Toei Animation
‏@ToeiAnimation

It's finally here!! #DragonBallSuper #dbs http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ub/.108465 "

So, is anyone else excited that we finally got confirmation after so long?

Edit: Renamed as requested of me by simtek34 in PM.
Last edited by Mewzard on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

snaku
Regular

Re: FUNimation dub of Dragon Ball Super Officially Confirmed

Post by snaku » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:16 pm

It's about time, though I wish they would have confirmed Buu Kai as well. Cannot wait to pick up the Blu-rays.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:19 pm

I am really happy the dub has finally been announced. I think it was starting to become overdue anyway (especially in this day and age), so thankfully Dragon Ball won't end up in a One Piece situation where the dub falls too far behind (Toonami should be airing the Buu saga of Kai soon).

I'm guessing we can expect to see the first few episodes in February or March?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:25 pm

I'll be happy when they say they're skipping the movie retellings, otherwise, this might as well be two years away for me.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Toonami has JoJo, OPM, Gundam, and now potentially DBS? I feel like a kid again. What will happen to DBK?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:28 pm

ryou766 wrote:Toonami has JoJo, OPM, Gundam, and now potentially DBS? I feel like a kid again. What will happen to DBK?
With the toys targeting kids I honestly doubt Toonami will get Super.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:29 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
ryou766 wrote:Toonami has JoJo, OPM, Gundam, and now potentially DBS? I feel like a kid again. What will happen to DBK?
That's true. DBS isn't something I see on Toonami, let alone Adult Swim. Probably Nicktoons.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm surprised they announced it this soon, I was thinking we'd get something in early 2017 instead.
ryou766 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
That's true. DBS isn't something I see on Toonami, let alone Adult Swim. Probably Nicktoons.
It could end up on both, a cut version on a kids channel and an uncut version on Toonami.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:32 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I am really happy the dub has finally been announced. I think it was starting to become overdue anyway (especially in this day and age), so thankfully Dragon Ball won't end up in a One Piece situation where the dub falls too far behind (Toonami should be airing the Buu saga of Kai soon).

I'm guessing we can expect to see the first few episodes in February or March?
We got it sooner than later. I'm glad that we hold off on Super for over a year in the US since we have new material to work with and not retellings.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:32 pm

It is a good Toonami lineup.

Kai's original run will end most likely in early January on Toonami.

Many think that FUNi's been saving the finished Buu Arc of Kai dub for that moment. Letting that run would give FUNi plenty of time to catch up on Dragon Ball Super's dub without rushing it for TV. Then have Super hit Toonami after that.

Though, if we're being honest, while that's happening, Super would probably hit some kids' network like Nicktoons again to try and grab more of that new audience while waiting. Super can certainly be both on Toonami and on a place like Nicktoons at different points, because that's what happened to Kai.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Glad to know it's been confirmed. Hope it's a great dub. But I wanted Buu Kai first.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:34 pm

I honestly would like DBS to air on Toonami - since that's where so many kids grew up watching/knowing DB on. Plus, Toonami has all the hot new anime getting dubbed. OPM, Hunter x Hunter, ect.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:36 pm

ryou766 wrote:I honestly would like DBS to air on Toonami - since that's where so many kids grew up watching/knowing DB on. Plus, Toonami has all the hot new anime getting dubbed. OPM, Hunter x Hunter, ect.
It's best for Super to air on a kids channel at a good time for kids to watch it to grow the fan base. I could see them putting the uncensored version of Super on Toonami after Buu Kai is done, meaning Toonami's run would be a good bit behind the run on whatever station has the censored version.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:43 pm

sintzu wrote: It could end up on both, a cut version on a kids channel and an uncut version on Toonami.
Yup. My guess is Kai will air on Toonami once that is done Super will take over but it'll air elsewhere in the meantime.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
sintzu wrote: It could end up on both, a cut version on a kids channel and an uncut version on Toonami.
Yup. My guess is Kai will air on Toonami once that is done Super will take over but it'll air elsewhere in the meantime.
I think we'll see Super start on Nick and Nicktoons in Summer 2017 and then when Toonami finishes Buu Kai in the first half of 2018 they'll start airing the uncensored version of Super.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:10 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I think we'll see Super start on Nick and Nicktoons in Summer 2017 and then when Toonami finishes Buu Kai in the first half of 2018 they'll start airing the uncensored version of Super.
Yeah most logical scenario. They are allowed to air Super on two different channels though right?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:12 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yeah most logical scenario. They are allowed to air Super on two different channels though right?
That would depend on what deal Funimation and Toei strike with the network. Super airing on Toonami a while after Nick would pretty much be like any other show having older episodes run in syndication on other channels.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:16 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yeah most logical scenario. They are allowed to air Super on two different channels though right?
That would depend on what deal Funimation and Toei strike with the network. Super airing on Toonami a while after Nick would pretty much be like any other show having older episodes run in syndication on other channels.
Yeah good point plus Toonami being weekly means it'll be miles behind what I presume an almost daily run on the kid networks.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:18 pm

My reaction..3..2..1..

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:24 pm

On one hand, I can finally watch this show and not be distracted by reading. On the other hand... so, this is another excuse for them not to get off their butts and give us Witch Hunter Robin, Outlaw Star and all the other various Bandai Entertainment shows they rescued...