"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:17 pm

MajinMan wrote:Is the dub MangaStream now? Imagine taking a show made for 8 year olds and edging it up like this. Sheesh.
Don't see the problem especially when superhero films can get away with saying the f word a few times. I'd hardly call "Son of a Bitch" edging it up especially when "damn" and "bastard" are used regularly even in the Japanese.

Also DBS' target audience is 15 years old.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Nothing wrong with Vegeta calling Zamasu a "son of a bitch". He's been calling everyone he finds annoying a 'bastard' for so long in the dub that this is a nice change of pace.

Also, if we're going to talk about whether this is appropriate or not, I personally don't see the problem. Several shows and movies that aim for the same demographic that the Dragon Ball Super dub does use similar curse words, so there really isn't an issue here. And if we're going to refer to other Shounen shows, in the first episode of My Hero Academia, All Might straight up says 'shit'. So yeah, that's a thing.

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 pm

OLKv3 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_KmbOfnFY8
I wish the original preview was as good as Toonami's
That's because Toonami puts love and care in their promos. Especially for anything Dragon Ball related.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:13 pm

MajinMan wrote:Is the dub MangaStream now? Imagine taking a show made for 8 year olds and edging it up like this. Sheesh.
Between the constant usage of the words "damn" and "bastard" and (in the case of the original japanese dub) "shit", adding the phrase "son of a bitch" is not all of a sudden edging things up.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:27 am

Vegeta really called Fused Zamasu a 'son of a bitch', unbelievable. Such an arrogant and vulgar beast. It's very difficult to emphatise with that monster when he throws around obscene insults at every worthy opponent he meets.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:17 am

For the person who asked for a disclaimer warning here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot4q5SoJ6sE
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:16 am

Saw more of the episode. Man, Zamasu's dub voice actor is so good here.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:42 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
shadd21 wrote:https://youtu.be/blEQFuRS77U

Do you guys feel the dub is using too much profanity?
Meh, Team Four Star still does it more.
What does TFS have to do with this
Nothing, but if we're really talking about profanity used in the dubs/versions of DB material, there are clearly different standards between both when it comes to swearing. The current /newer dubs clearly go for what would pass on an adult station as "TV-PG", where TFS would get rated "TV-14"/"TV-MA."
Although if this guy was being sarcastic about it, then nevermind.
The Iron Fjord wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_KmbOfnFY8
I wish the original preview was as good as Toonami's
That's because Toonami puts love and care in their promos. Especially for anything Dragon Ball related.
Considering Japanese previews are like 1-2 minutes long & clearly the visuals were meant to be something else, given the narration over the ones they put into the episode. They put the Vegito scene in the original as blatant hype building. Also, at least Toonami's are short, sweet, & to the point with some hype building. Toei's are too long. I mean, if the episode previews were like Arrested Development's, where either the previews don't happen in the next episode, or are scenes that get referenced in the next episode, I'd like them more, but Japanese episode previews don't try to do anything but let people know there's another episode coming with plot reveals, which is why I always skip them when watching anime on home media. Though, I won't lie, I'm eager to hear Schemmel's narration for the next episode preview for the episode coming up.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 pm

The big one next week. I haven't seen #66 in forever curious what my opinion will be. So far for the most part this arc has actually held up much better than I thought. I already thought it was good borderline great now.

Technically though (animation etc) the arc hasn't held up that much unfortunately.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:14 am

What are the odds that Funi will dub the insert songs in the Arale and Ultra Instinct episodes?

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:43 am

shadd21 wrote:What are the odds that Funi will dub the insert songs in the Arale and Ultra Instinct episodes?
I think they will leave it the same, just like they did for the Hit vs Goku episode right ?
"Oh dear...."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:52 am

Kogu 87 wrote:
shadd21 wrote:What are the odds that Funi will dub the insert songs in the Arale and Ultra Instinct episodes?
I think they will leave it the same, just like they did for the Hit vs Goku episode right ?
Yeah most likely, have they ever dubbed a DB insert song?

2nd OP though since no Engrish version exists likely that could be dubbed. EDs have been hit or miss but if they dub that it has to be hit! Just get Vic to do it.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:
Between the constant usage of the words "damn" and "bastard" and (in the case of the original japanese dub) "shit", adding the phrase "son of a bitch" is not all of a sudden edging things up.
Considering that it caught me by complete surprise, I’d say that it did.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:55 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah most likely, have they ever dubbed a DB insert song?
Two of them that I can think of (both for Kai). I forget the name, but the first one is played when Roshi and co collect the bodies of the Z-fighters at the end of the Saiyan arc and the other one is the Ginyu Force theme.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:08 pm

This is more a Z dub question than Super but I thought it would get answered quicker here.

Was there a break with the dubbing of the Buu Saga? I've been rewatching the whole series of the original funimation dub and noticed that Sabat's Vegeta still sounds like his Cell Saga version until the Majin stuff happens and then continues to morph into something similar to the Season 1/2 redub and Super.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:What does TFS have to do with this
It seems FUNImation are inspired on them while making this dub, which is sad considering how good and faithful were their dub in Kai 1.0
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:48 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:What does TFS have to do with this
It seems FUNImation are inspired on them while making this dub, which is sad considering how good and faithful were their dub in Kai 1.0
Hard to be faithful when the original script sucks, sometimes having a bit of fun makes the show better as long as it makes sense, in which it does.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:33 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Vegeta really called Fused Zamasu a 'son of a bitch', unbelievable. Such an arrogant and vulgar beast. It's very difficult to emphatise with that monster when he throws around obscene insults at every worthy opponent he meets.
I can't tell if you are roleplaying or not but this is hillarious either way

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:41 am

PFM18 wrote:
SupremeKai25 wrote:Vegeta really called Fused Zamasu a 'son of a bitch', unbelievable. Such an arrogant and vulgar beast. It's very difficult to emphatise with that monster when he throws around obscene insults at every worthy opponent he meets.
I can't tell if you are roleplaying or not but this is hillarious either way
I am not roleplaying. It is nigh-impossible to emphatise with Vegeta when he throws obscene insults at every opponent who outplays him. Since he is a 'prince', he should find some honor and dignity, and drop the petty insults worthy of kindergarten.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:51 pm

supersaiyandoctor wrote:This is more a Z dub question than Super but I thought it would get answered quicker here.

Was there a break with the dubbing of the Buu Saga? I've been rewatching the whole series of the original funimation dub and noticed that Sabat's Vegeta still sounds like his Cell Saga version until the Majin stuff happens and then continues to morph into something similar to the Season 1/2 redub and Super.
Sabat stopped redubbing Vegeta after the Freeza saga. From then on to the end of Z it was the original broadcast voice.