"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: FUNimation dub of Dragon Ball Super Officially Confirmed

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:16 am

What the hell took them so long anyway?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:34 am

Licensing stuff, probably. Things that we'll never know the details of.
Retired.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:43 am

Has Future Trunk's voice actor improved in Xenoverse 2? I remember people saying his voice sounded pretty bad in the previous game.

I hope his performance isn't too bad once they get to the Goku Black arc.

Sonicjamareiz
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:08 am

precita wrote:Has Future Trunk's voice actor improved in Xenoverse 2? I remember people saying his voice sounded pretty bad in the previous game.

I hope his performance isn't too bad once they get to the Goku Black arc.
The voice acting in the first game over all sounded pretty bad. :?
Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:15 am

floofychan333 wrote:What the hell took them so long anyway?
Toei probably wanted to wait for a bit. We have new material now, so people can skip the retellings if they already seen the last two movies. Besides, we got it a year late and the dub will probably be two years behind. At least Funimation does not have to rush things to catch up with Japan.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:48 am

I hope they announce a TV Deal soon. I hope its a major success for the channel to get it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:10 am

I just read the news post. What intruiges me is that FUNimation seem to be producing their own simulcast sub...?

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:57 am

Skimming through the subs for episode 64, they look to be exactly the same as the Crunchyroll version. So it doesn't seem like separate subs are being produced for each version, but rather one script is being used for all streaming services. I don't know if we've heard for sure if Toei is charge of the translation, or who exactly is handling it. But it does still beg the question of when the DVD/Bluray versions come out if they'll use Funimation's in-house translators, or if the script will be the same as the streaming version. I would guess it'll be different, because some of the idiosyncrasies of this script (like mixing in the dub terms) are not commonly seen in Funimation's subtitled releases. It would be annoying-but-tolerable if it ends up that way in the home release, but not ideal.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:06 am

I personally hope they can start dubbing by the end of January.
That way, I'd expect to see something in the USA by august at the latest.
France began dubbing in June, so 8 months before February, where it starts on Toonami there.

Obviously, it depends on actor availability, how many episodes they have written etc.
But if this timeline is in any way possible, then it marries with Toei's expected toyline release.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:08 am

They have already started dubbing, they just havent announced it yet.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:29 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:They have already started dubbing, they just havent announced it yet.
The actors have stated they haven't.

I'll clarify further: they're talking like it hasn't.

A twitter user asked Sonny Strait where they are starting the dub, from episode 1 or 28, Sonny said he didn't know.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:07 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know the UK will air it! I checked the ratings for DBZKai and they did pretty well. After all its Toei and not Manga UK who handle TV Deals. Be patient.
Thanks for the assurance, but I'm still keeping my expectations low.
It's probably best to keep expectations low for TV but at least we'll get a home release. Funnily enough I happened to see a Xenoverse 2 commercial air on Cartoon Network UK of all channels last night. It probably doesn't mean anything though as they've already been said to have turned Super down, and they did keep showing commercials for some of the games for awhile after Z was taken off Toonami.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:19 am

90sDBZ wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know the UK will air it! I checked the ratings for DBZKai and they did pretty well. After all its Toei and not Manga UK who handle TV Deals. Be patient.
Thanks for the assurance, but I'm still keeping my expectations low.
Funnily enough I happened to see a Xenoverse 2 commercial air on Cartoon Network UK of all channels last night. It probably doesn't mean anything though as they've already been said to have turned Super down, and they did keep showing commercials for some of the games for awhile after Z was taken off Toonami.
I saw a Xenoverse 2 commercial on there too. It is odd that they don't want the show due to being "too violent", but are happy to encourage kids to buy a game where they can beat the hell out of each other - a touch hypocritical for me.
I did reach out to Toei Europe, and they told me a couple of weeks back that they are still trying to find a broadcaster here in the UK, and hope to have an announcement soon.
It doesn't look good right now, but all is not lost yet.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:23 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: A twitter user asked Sonny Strait where they are starting the dub, from episode 1 or 28, Sonny said he didn't know.

Why do people think there is even a remote chance of FUNi skipping the retelling arcs? This isn't 2000; they don't pull that kind of crap anymore. They are going to start at episode 1 and create a faithful dub just like they do with everything else these days.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:44 am

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote: A twitter user asked Sonny Strait where they are starting the dub, from episode 1 or 28, Sonny said he didn't know.

Why do people think there is even a remote chance of FUNi skipping the retelling arcs? This isn't 2000; they don't pull that kind of crap anymore. They are going to start at episode 1 and create a faithful dub just like they do with everything else these days.
I know. Totally ridiculous, I wouldn't want them to skip any episode.
I know people are anxious to get to the new arcs, but I couldn't see Toei standing for that kind of thing anymore.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:51 am

Sabat clarified all the way back in April that they'd be dubbing right from the very beginning:

While that certainly doesn't speak for what they'll air first, I can't imagine they'll be skipping anything.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:51 am

Can't wait! this'll be awesome when they release it out on bluray! :) :D
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:31 pm

I've mentioned this before but it's super (hehe pun) weird but being comfortable with the Japanese cast has made me crave the English dub even more. I guess maybe it's because the Japanese cast has done such a stellar job I'm just really curious to see the English cast follow up from it? I don't know but one things for sure we can finally start supporting the show!

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation English Dub Official Disscussion Thread

Post by simtek34 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:34 pm

I hope that Todd Haberkorn, the guy who voice Tarble and Jaco for FUNi voices Cabbe with his Tarble voice from RB2. Chris Sabat said if they do dub the JSAT special, they would recast Tarble for it so that vest cleared up for consistencys sake.

And can somebody change the thread's name to the new one I made please? Maybe sticky the thread?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:25 pm

The important question here is, will they get the Bluray version of the show or the TV broadcast? If it's the TV broadcast, they can expect me to not spend a single cent on this.. The animation is absolutely terrible in many parts. Like, unacceptably terrible. But I've heard they fixed them on the home video releases.

It's gotten a bit better on the Goku Black saga, but the overall animation doesn't hold a candle to Z, which was animated well over 20 years ago.. what a shame.