"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 pm

Oh that I very much agree with. Funimation had no choice but to add that. I cant blame them or hate them for it.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 pm Oh that I very much agree with. Funimation had no choice but to add that. I can't blame them or hate them for it.
I mean, I don't either, & if you actually look up the word's definition, "autonomous" isn't actually a bad word to use.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 pm Oh that I very much agree with. Funimation had no choice but to add that. I cant blame them or hate them for it.
Actually, there were other ways to adapt it and at the same time keep the lip flaps as well. Instead of saying "Autonomous Ultra Instinct", he could have just said "That is the Ultra Instinct" and the lip flaps would not be affected.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 pm

SaintEvolution wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:01 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 pm Oh that I very much agree with. Funimation had no choice but to add that. I cant blame them or hate them for it.
Actually, there were other ways to adapt it and at the same time keep the lip flaps as well. Instead of saying "Autonomous Ultra Instinct", he could have just said "That is the Ultra Instinct" and the lip flaps would not be affected.
Except they will have to insert a new word every time UI is mentioned on-screen. Also, ‘That is the Ultra Instinct’ is too many words for the mouth flap and it doesn’t sound natural.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu May 16, 2019 11:40 pm

HeroR wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 pm
Except they will have to insert a new word every time UI is mentioned on-screen. Also, ‘That is the Ultra Instinct’ is too many words for the mouth flap and it doesn’t sound natural.
There are many words, but are still short words and they still match the lip flaps. And instead of adding additional words, they could just use larger synonyms for them when adapting the scripts. It's nothing really difficult for a company that sometimes alterates entire dialogues in their dubs.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri May 17, 2019 12:28 am

SaintEvolution wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:40 pm

There are many words, but are still short words and they still match the lip flaps. And instead of adding additional words, they could just use larger synonyms for them when adapting the scripts. It's nothing really difficult for a company that sometimes alterates entire dialogues in their dubs.
Again, they have to do that every time UI is said on-scene. And Funi changing some dialog isn't the same as matching lip flaps.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 am

Herms thinks it might actually be an attempt at FUNi translating the full Japanese term rather than purely for lip flap matching.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 18, 2019 3:19 pm

People complaining about "Autonomous Ultra Instinct" while it could be worse like "Completed Ultra Instinct" :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:22 am

Why did Jiren eliminate his own teammate in tonight's episode? Smh

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:03 am

Funimation did it lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:39 am

When it comes to performances, script writing, and even effect/audio mixing, this dub has been such a roller coster of quality. While no where near as bad as the Z Dub, this dub just isn't that good.

I want to know what happened between Kai/BOG/R'F' and Super. Did Funi change directors/script writers/audio mixers for these properties? The dubs for each of these 3 were almost always fantastic with great performances and didn't have any of the terrible reverb effects that Super has when anyone yells.

The English Dub for Broly was also fantastic and didn't have any of the issues that I outlined above, so if Funi is able to (apparently) still produce quality dubs, why are they lacking when it comes to the Super TV series?

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun May 19, 2019 2:31 am

DHM211 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:39 am When it comes to performances, script writing, and even effect/audio mixing, this dub has been such a roller coster of quality. While no where near as bad as the Z Dub, this dub just isn't that good.

I want to know what happened between Kai/BOG/R'F' and Super. Did Funi change directors/script writers/audio mixers for these properties? The dubs for each of these 3 were almost always fantastic with great performances and didn't have any of the terrible reverb effects that Super has when anyone yells.

The English Dub for Broly was also fantastic and didn't have any of the issues that I outlined above, so if Funi is able to (apparently) still produce quality dubs, why are they lacking when it comes to the Super TV series?
I'm curious about that too. Are they just not trying as hard? On the one hand, it's probably a lot harder to dub a weekly show with a huge cast than it is three self-contained movies. On the other hand, they had over a year to prepare for this, while simudubs like MHA have had nowhere near as many issues.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun May 19, 2019 4:50 am

They just don’t care. They know everyone has seen the Japanese version already and are clearly phoning it in for this show. There’s almost zero hype behind the dub episodes when they come out. The only ones excited are the hardcore dub fans. Funimation knows most of those guys won’t care for the quality of the dub and will literally only watch it because it’s in English, so they don’t feel like they have to try as hard as something like the DBS Broly movie where 99% of fans haven’t seen it before.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:21 am

Um...like 850k people watch it every week you know? Despite not being Game Of Thrones numbers its among the top 5 most watched things on cable.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun May 19, 2019 2:01 pm

"Contestant Hit of the 11th Universe has been eliminated"

Yikes, how did this error slip through?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Rawly Pickens (one of the main ADR Director and Engineers of Super's Funimation dub) caught wind of the script error during the post-airing Twitter chatter of last night's episode of Ep.111. He states that they'll "snag it for sure", most likely in the home release similar to previous flubs (ex: Vegeta saying "Goku" and the Kaioken and SSB explanation being flipped for the broadcast airing). Which cannot be stressed enough.
DHM211 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:39 am I want to know what happened between Kai/BOG/R'F' and Super. Did Funi change directors/scriptwriters/audio mixers for these properties? The dubs for each of these 3 were almost always fantastic with great performances and didn't have any of the terrible reverb effects that Super has when anyone yells.
Kai, Battle of Gods, Ressurection F, and the current Super dub have mostly share consistent people within the same roles. Just to name a few from a long list:
  • ADR Script Writer: Jared Hedges (Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Super anime, Original Z dub's Season 3); Jeramey Kraatz (DBS: Broly; My Hero Academia (All current seasons and Two Heroes))
  • ADR/Voice Director: Rawly Don Pickens (Super anime, most of the modern Dragon Ball Games), Christopher R. Sabat (Super anime, DBS Broly, Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Dragon Ball video games, etc), Donald Shults (FighterZ)
  • ADR Head Writer: John Burgmeier (Dragon Ball (Z) Kai, Super anime, Original and Redub Z, Battle of Gods, Resurrection F)
  • ADR Enginneer: Rawly Don Pickens (Dragon Ball (Z) Kai, Super anime, DBS: Broly, Original Z's Season 3,), Kellen Voss (Dragon Ball (Z) Kai, current Dragon Ball Video Games starting from Raging Blast 2); Brianna Villarreal (Super TV Anime, Dragon Ball FighterZ); Donald Shults (Ressurection F, DBS: Broly, Super anime, Dragon Ball (Z) Kai: The Final Chapters)
  • ADR Approvals: Lisa R. Yamatoya of Toei Animation USA
As for the varying quality between episodes and dubs: we honestly don't know too much for certain (and generally speaking, claiming that "they don't care" isn't any valid of an argument). For instance, Clifford Chaplin (Cabba's VA), Kyle Hebert (at a convention regarding ep.90), and Sean Schemmel stated how they voiced their roles around 3 weeks to a month before they air on Toonami. For all we know, the production could be tighter than we realize thanks to being a broadcast dub. Not too mention, most of the crew also had to handle doing the Broly and the video games on top of it.

As a side note: Simul-dubbing is even more hectic. The aforementioned My Hero Academia example had to stop doing the same day Simul-dubbing after Ep.50, trading that in for the traditional 3-week delay release schedule of similar Funimation dub like Attack on Titan.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun May 19, 2019 7:54 pm

UltraPrimus22 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:32 pm Rawly Pickens (one of the main ADR Director and Engineers of Super's Funimation dub) caught wind of the script error during the post-airing Twitter chatter of last night's episode of Ep.111. He states that they'll "snag it for sure", most likely in the home release similar to previous flubs (ex: Vegeta saying "Goku" and the Kaioken and SSB explanation being flipped for the broadcast airing). Which cannot be stressed enough.
DHM211 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:39 am I want to know what happened between Kai/BOG/R'F' and Super. Did Funi change directors/scriptwriters/audio mixers for these properties? The dubs for each of these 3 were almost always fantastic with great performances and didn't have any of the terrible reverb effects that Super has when anyone yells.
Kai, Battle of Gods, Ressurection F, and the current Super dub have mostly share consistent people within the same roles. Just to name a few from a long list:
  • ADR Script Writer: Jared Hedges (Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Super anime, Original Z dub's Season 3); Jeramey Kraatz (DBS: Broly; My Hero Academia (All current seasons and Two Heroes))
  • ADR/Voice Director: Rawly Don Pickens (Super anime, most of the modern Dragon Ball Games), Christopher R. Sabat (Super anime, DBS Broly, Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, Dragon Ball video games, etc), Donald Shults (FighterZ)
  • ADR Head Writer: John Burgmeier (Dragon Ball (Z) Kai, Super anime, Original and Redub Z, Battle of Gods, Resurrection F)
  • ADR Enginneer: Rawly Don Pickens (Dragon Ball (Z) Kai, Super anime, DBS: Broly, Original Z's Season 3,), Kellen Voss (Dragon Ball (Z) Kai, current Dragon Ball Video Games starting from Raging Blast 2); Brianna Villarreal (Super TV Anime, Dragon Ball FighterZ); Donald Shults (Ressurection F, DBS: Broly, Super anime, Dragon Ball (Z) Kai: The Final Chapters)
As for the varying quality between episodes and dubs: we honestly don't know too much for certain (and generally speaking, claiming that "they don't care" isn't any valid of an argument). For instance, Clifford Chaplin (Cabba's VA), Kyle Hebert (at a convention regarding ep.90), and Sean Schemmel stated how they voiced their roles around 3 weeks to a month before they air on Toonami. For all we know, the production could be tighter than we realize thanks to being a broadcast dub. Not too mention, most of the crew also had to handle doing the Broly and the video games on top of it.

As a side note: Simul-dubbing is even more hectic. The aforementioned My Hero Academia example had to stop doing the same day Simul-dubbing after Ep.50, trading that in for the traditional 3-week delay release schedule of similar Funimation dub like Attack on Titan.
This is one of the best post I've seen on any forum ever, well done man. I also agree them saying they don't care isn't a valid argument. Of course they care, it's their biggest property and most of the actors have been there since day 1. Mistakes will happen, it will be fixed for later airings. As for the quality decrease from the ultra instinct wears off episode I don't know how to explain that, especially with this new knowledge that the staff has mostly been consistent.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sun May 19, 2019 8:31 pm

nato25 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:54 pm
UltraPrimus22 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:32 pm Rawly Pickens (one of the main ADR Director and Engineers of Super's Funimation dub) caught wind of the script error during the post-airing Twitter chatter of last night's episode of Ep.111. He states that they'll "snag it for sure", most likely in the home release similar to previous flubs (ex: Vegeta saying "Goku" and the Kaioken and SSB explanation being flipped for the broadcast airing). Which cannot be stressed enough.

This is one of the best post I've seen on any forum ever, well done man. I also agree them saying they don't care isn't a valid argument. Of course they care, it's their biggest property and most of the actors have been there since day 1. Mistakes will happen, it will be fixed for later airings. As for the quality decrease from the ultra instinct wears off episode I don't know how to explain that, especially with this new knowledge that the staff has mostly been consistent.
In regards to previous errors, the Master Zuno and Goku Kaioken explanation - both were corrected, with the master audio updated (confirmed by Rawly and Sean), but neither made the Bluray release.
The Kaioken explanation was corrected on the Funimation stream, Master Zuno is still the same.
They are small errors, but Funimation aren't being thorough here.
It is likely all 3 will be fixed and magically ok for the season sets.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 19, 2019 10:16 pm

HeroR wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:28 am
SaintEvolution wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:40 pm

Again, they have to do that every time UI is said on-scene. And Funi changing some dialog isn't the same as matching lip flaps.
Again, they wouldn't have to do that everytime UI is said. They could just alterate another part of the phrase when UI is mentioned. Again, nothing really difficult for a company that sometimes alterates entire dialogues.
But okay, if it's easier to just say "Autonomous Ultra Instinct", than fine.

But, it's just an easier route.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun May 19, 2019 10:28 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:31 am
DHM211 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:39 am When it comes to performances, script writing, and even effect/audio mixing, this dub has been such a roller coster of quality. While no where near as bad as the Z Dub, this dub just isn't that good.

I'm curious about that too. Are they just not trying as hard? On the one hand, it's probably a lot harder to dub a weekly show with a huge cast than it is three self-contained movies. On the other hand, they had over a year to prepare for this, while simudubs like MHA have had nowhere near as many issues.
MajinMan wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:50 am They just don’t care. They know everyone has seen the Japanese version already and are clearly phoning it in for this show. There’s almost zero hype behind the dub episodes when they come out. The only ones excited are the hardcore dub fans. Funimation knows most of those guys won’t care for the quality of the dub and will literally only watch it because it’s in English, so they don’t feel like they have to try as hard as something like the DBS Broly movie where 99% of fans haven’t seen it before.
When it comes to this dub, I've seen many things. Adlibs, liberal translations, good & bad translations, interesting casting choices; Chris Ayres popping in & out due to an illness, his brother playing Frost, James Marsters as Zamasu (who honestly thought THAT would happen?), etc, but I haven't not seen genuine effort put in almost every episode where it needs it. If you seriously think they aren't trying, you clearly are not judging the show as a whole. If anything seems lazy, it's probably because the show itself in the first place just wasn't that good. A lot of people feel the show was all over the place in many aspects. I calk up any failings in this arc specifically to them doing most of it at the same time as they dubbed the Broly movie, leading to resources & people being stretched a bit thin due to crunch time.

As for MajinMan, dude, the more lazy way would actually BE to keep the scripts 100% accurate, not the other way around. it would also be extremely lazy to not properly adapt the scripts to the new language it's translated into or to not direct the cast, or to only cast people at FUNi in Texas, or to not have fun with the dub. You really have NO idea about how much work went into the dub on a production side, do you?
On top of that, a LOT of people are excited for the dub, not just hardcore dub fans, my guy. I HATE the Z dub with a passion, yet I'm still wanting to watch the Super dub. A lot of fans have also come aboard from only knowing the Kai dub. On top of that, Sabat also doesn't look back too fondly on the Z dub, & neither does Schemmel. He's worked on better dubs for years as either an actor, director, producer, or all 3. On top of THAT, no one seems to get that Kai's dub started this trend of good translations, but they also have fun with the dubs. There's a good amount of quality & effort put into the dub here. Enough that when the dub stars to falter, people throw temper tantrums on this forum about them. Do you honestly think people wouldn't be as passionate as they are here if the dub was already good on some level? I don't think so. Hyperbolic pessimism at its finest, ladies & gents.
UltraPrimus22 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:32 pm Kai, Battle of Gods, Ressurection F, and the current Super dub have mostly share consistent people within the same roles. Just to name a few from a long list:
Sabat also directed DB, Z, Kai, the movies, & the specials.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs