"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm

This episode completely soured me on DBS Goku back when the sub aired jsut because how fucking obnoxious Goku was. Thought they would dial it back for the dub but nope.

Marsters sounded great though. Even in the new DLC for Xenoverse he sounded pretty good

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:12 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:This episode completely soured me on DBS Goku back when the sub aired jsut because how fucking obnoxious Goku was. Thought they would dial it back for the dub but nope.

Marsters sounded great though. Even in the new DLC for Xenoverse he sounded pretty good
Not surprised since Funi is closer to the Japanese version, despite what some may pushed.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Hmm. Marsters Zamasu is shockingly great. Much better than whatever the hell we got in Xenoverse 2.
It was the Same guy. Marsters had a Treatment like how Rose Goku Black had for Fighterz.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 am

Love Zamasu's voice.
He exudes calmness but you can feel the undertones of psychopathy when discussing mortals with Gowasu.

That final "i will never forget you, goku." delivery ended the episode perfectly.
"Oh dear...."

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:23 am

Marsters is great as Zamasu! Really happy with how he's portraying the character. Can't wait to see how he handles scenes where Zamasu's completely lost his cool.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 am

Schemmel's performance as regular Goku shouldn't go under-stated, he absolutely killed it here! His delivery of the "nobody is pulling anything" was great! I am the opposite of Dbzfan94 didn't want them to tone any of Goku's behaviour here the guy is a riot, the scene of him sneaking to Zamasu was lol. Also tripping over Beerus is excitement... :lol: Gotta love Goku!

Also now I can type Zamasu like this instead of "Zamasu" now! Marsters performance doesn't surprise me knew he'd slay. Also surprised some folks not feeling Gowasu seems perfect to me?

Can't wait to hear more of McCoy next arc!!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:43 pm

HeroR wrote:Not surprised since Funi is closer to the Japanese version, despite what some may pushed.
Well, from what I've observed so far, Super's scripts have been a lot more accurate than their past dubs, even Kai. And that's not to disparage Kai; while there are things to criticise about Kai's scriptwriting, my point here is about the quality of Super's dub, and between how well the scripts have been handled, and a lot of the awesome castings(Brian Drummond and James Marsters. 'Nuff said), Super might be Funimation's best Dragon Ball work so far.

Too bad Super's the one piece of Dragon Ball media I don't like. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:55 pm

I'm glad they're putting the emphasis on the first syllable in the names, if only because it helps for more accurate pronunciation. Even if it isn't exactly the same as in Japanese, if you go with the English tendency to emphasize the middle syllable you get shit like nuh-ROO-do instead of Naruto. So I was worried we'd end up with a zuh-MAH-soo type situation in the dub, but thankfully it didn't happen (though the way Gowasu is emphasized sounds a little off...but still better than the alternative).

I've been anticipating getting to Zamasu in the dub, since I love him so much. Overall thoughts: he's doing a good job, but he's not exactly what I wanted (though my desires involve the impossible dream of just keeping Miki, so feel free to ignore that :lol: ). When he's speaking regular dialogue he sounds fine, but too old for my liking. I see Zamasu at this stage being more like a petulant teen questioning the world around him, so the deeper voice is throwing me off somewhat. HOWEVER, at the very end of the episode, with that "I'll never forget you", I squeed. He sounds fabulous when saying sinister lines, so now I'm really looking forward to episode 55 and Zamasu's full descent into darkness.

Gowasu sounded better in the full episode than that short preview clip, but still not really getting the same feel from him as the Japanese actor. Something feels a bit off, but it's not terrible. Hopefully he'll grow into the role more.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Strange how in some dubs Zamasu is called "Zamas" but Funimation stick with the "u"
Hit!! wrote:After watching episode 53 dubbed, episode 129 feels like One Punch Man animation wise... The fact that these 2 episode belong to the same series is insane!!
I don't see the point on making this comparison as 129 was just reused animation.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:Strange how in some dubs Zamasu is called "Zamas" but Funimation stick with the "u"
Hit!! wrote:After watching episode 53 dubbed, episode 129 feels like One Punch Man animation wise... The fact that these 2 episode belong to the same series is insane!!
I don't see the point on making this comparison as 129 was just reused animation.
"Zamas" is how Viz did it before the FUNi dub decided even for XV2. Sabat was even talking about it months ago in terms of keeping it "Zamasu" because it was more accurate & being able to fit the lip flaps better around it.
Neither is incorrect, especially when the Japanese barely pronounce the "u's" at the end of words that end with that sound.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 am

Oh my god, re-watching the episode I didn't hear it properly the first time but the first time but Goku's "wahooooooo" when they arrive was so :lol:.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:55 pm

So is Patrick Seitz going to voice Jiren in the actual anime?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:03 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:So is Patrick Seitz going to voice Jiren in the actual anime?
Highly likely he doesn't live in Texas so they wouldn't bother getting an out of towner if he wasn't gonna play him in the anime too.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Highly likely he doesn't live in Texas so they wouldn't bother getting an out of towner if he wasn't gonna play him in the anime too.
That's good to hear.

I've seen people wanting Tim Daly or George Newbern to voice Jiren but their voices are too light for the character.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Um, Seitz regularly records dubs at FUNi. One Piece at the very least has him fly out there to voice Franky several times a year. Plus, I bet he's good friends with most everyone there, so he could do it if they wanted him to, even if they just get him to record over the internet in California like Sean Schemmel does if Sabat wants to keep him for the anime. It wouldn't be too hard either, since we don't know if Jiren's gonna appear beyond the TOP arc, so he'd only have to record of that arc & any future games.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Uncle Jesse

Post by Uncle Jesse » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:23 pm

I'm kinda disappointed that Funimation didn't choose Andrew Love for the role of Jiren. The voice he does for Raoh and Akainu would've been perfect for Jiren. Also, I really wish Zamasu would've gotten recast. I don't mind Marsters, I can live with his performance, but I just felt that someone like either Keith Silverstein or Jay Hickman would've been better suited for the role.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:53 pm

I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now. Who do you guys think will voice The Grand Priest? I think he'll might be voiced by Aaron Roberts. Because one, Sabat did say that we will hear Aaron again. Two, they probably want The Grand Priest to sound like Whis, because, well, he is Whis' father, and Aaron and Ian Sinclair really sound alike. Now what do you guys think? Do you think The Grand Priest will be voiced by Aaron Roberts, or do you got someone else in mind?
Caulifla best girl! :)

EnergizerConvoy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by EnergizerConvoy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Travis Willingham would do Jiren justice.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Zamasu was great. Still not really feeling Gowasu though. The voice is fine, he just needs to be less deadpan in his deliveries.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I've been wanting to ask this question for a while now. Who do you guys think will voice The Grand Priest? I think he'll might be voiced by Aaron Roberts. Because one, Sabat did say that we will hear Aaron again. Two, they probably want The Grand Priest to sound like Whis, because, well, he is Whis' father, and Aaron and Ian Sinclair really sound alike. Now what do you guys think? Do you think The Grand Priest will be voiced by Aaron Roberts, or do you got someone else in mind?
That would be a pretty good choice. I really liked Aaron Roberts' Hit in Xenoverse 2.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:12 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Schemmel's performance as regular Goku shouldn't go under-stated, he absolutely killed it here! His delivery of the "nobody is pulling anything" was great! I am the opposite of Dbzfan94 didn't want them to tone any of Goku's behaviour here the guy is a riot, the scene of him sneaking to Zamasu was lol. Also tripping over Beerus is excitement... :lol: Gotta love Goku!

Also now I can type Zamasu like this instead of "Zamasu" now! Marsters performance doesn't surprise me knew he'd slay. Also surprised some folks not feeling Gowasu seems perfect to me?

Can't wait to hear more of McCoy next arc!!
To me, the person playing Gowasu is trying too hard to sound old in places.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.