"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Shaddy wrote:Yikes, one more episode was all it took, huh?

Listen. There's a lot of stupid lines here, and I have my issues with them. "Time to make the donuts" is dumb, and dubbing the series with too many liberties is a bad idea. But I think comparing it to Z's dub for this stuff is silly. Z's dub is something I remember for constantly spreading misinformation, getting character personalities wrong, and breeding legions of fans that won't accept anything without replaced music and a chain smoker voicing Gohan. There's plenty of stupid and terrible lines in both, and that totally is an issue, but I can't remember Super's dub ever directly contradicting the sub, so is it really accurate to say it's "not even the same show anymore"? That would sound like an overreaction to any dub that didn't get Samurai Pizza Cats'd.

I think it's worth criticizing and that Sabat's stated mindset of "well everyone already watched the Japanese version so we can make some changes" is terrible (especially as someone watching them side-by-side, and the dub with people who did not watch the JP dub), but I think there's a big difference between taking too many liberties for comfort and literally everything being so off that it doesn't make sense anymore. Kai 2.0 wasn't too different in this regard, it just didn't last as long.
I don’t think very many people have ever demanded that Gohan be voiced by, or sound like a chain smoker, but other than that, you do have a point. I haven’t seen anything in the current dub that’s comparable to Goku wanting to show Vegeta mercy, or declaring that he is the hope of the universe.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yes thank you! It's absolutely painful being a Pokémon fan not only how bad the dub is but there is no Japanese legal alternative to support.

Everyone giving shit to FUNi yet somehow forget that FUNi are even re translating the subs instead of using the Toei one's, no more "Supreme Kai sama" or "King Kai Fist" all that on top of providing the Japanese track for sub fans. But a dub something that is optional has a few innocuous lines and it's the end of the world.

It seems to me people are wanting their to be some controversy so they can complain, every time there pages and pages of over reaction and hyperbole over a couple lines in an episode. It's a bit ridiculous at this point especially now people know what they're in for why stick around? You have your version stick to that.

I hope to god there is sub screening for the new movie so we get less of this. Who am I kidding people will still flock to dub screenings and look for things to complain about and we'll get pages and pages on how Broly's grunting is different to the Japanese...
Agreed I really find the English dub of Pokemon lacking in terms of Music at least the Funimation Dub keeps the Japanese music, its the main reason why I stopped watching the english dub due to the poor direction and its a shame because I'm a huge Pokemon fan.
    I find it ridiculous that people comparing this to the 90's.
    Last edited by Spider-Man on Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simere
    Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Are we giving credit to Funimation for getting characters right? This donut line isn't just a dumb meme that kills the drama of the scene; that Hit would be someone who'd say something like that changes the perception of who he is as a character. Same with changing lines like the one Dragon Wukong pointed out.

They still don't even seem to understand Goku's character. They keep altering his lines to have him say dumber or ruder things than he actually did*. Like this little exchange from the baseball episode:

Dub:

[spoiler]Gohan: Don't worry about it, Dad, it's a foul ball.
    Goku: How's it foul? Does it smell bad?
    Whis: Strike two!
    Goku. Seriously? That's dumb.
    Beerus: You got lucky, Goku. Now throw it harder and strike him out![/spoiler]

Toei:

[spoiler]Gohan: Dad, that was a foul.
    Goku: What's a foul?
    Beerus: Goku, throw harder! Then it'll be a strikeout![/spoiler]

These small changes have added up to make Goku a markedly more abrasive character. His first fight against Hit was intolerable. Dub Goku has almost no trace of the innocence and purity that much of his rudeness actually stem from.

*Beerus, Trunks and Vegeta too. Seems like a general mandate to make everyone meaner, actually.

WittyUsername
    I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Simere wrote:Are we giving credit to Funimation for getting characters right? This donut line isn't just a dumb meme that kills the drama of the scene; that Hit would be someone who'd say something like that changes the perception of who he is as a character. Same with changing lines like the one Dragon Wukong pointed out.

They still don't even seem to understand Goku's character. They keep altering his lines to have him say dumber or ruder things than he actually did*. Like this little exchange from the baseball episode:

Dub:

Toei:

These small changes have added up to make Goku a markedly more abrasive character. His first fight against Hit was intolerable. Dub Goku has almost no trace of the innocence and purity that much of his rudeness actually stem from.

*Beerus, Trunks and Vegeta too. Seems like a general mandate to make everyone meaner, actually.
    I wouldn’t say it changes Hit’s character. Serious people aren’t immune to saying occasionally silly things. It’s mostly just a dumb line that hurts the tension of the scene.

jjgp1112
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:45 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
    Ajay wrote:This dub is such a joke. What year is it?! These types of ridiculous decisions just keep piling up. It's the 90s all over again.

It's incredibly frustrating to know that we're back to a point where I'm not even discussing the same show with someone who watched it dubbed.
    Can we please stop with this hyperbole? The Super dub is leaps and bounds above what Funi was giving us in the 90s. Would I prefer they didn't include the meme lines? Sure. But acting like this is on the same level as the Z dub is absurd and tiring.
    Yeah seriously, if the Z dub was anywhere even approaching Super's level, I wouldn't need to watch Kai lmao.

When the majority of the script is accurate and there's no changes to the story or characters, I couldn't care less about a few cheesy jokes or lines. And some of the stuff they've done that explains stuff that the original version did a poor job getting across is an added viewing bonus (and even in Z, you had stuff like the dub actually filling in the plothole of Cell being able to regenerate without a head). It's a dub and they're having fun with it, who cares? I don't even want to know how you guys would react to the Z dub in real time if THIS dub puts you over the edge :P

I've seen people on Twitter calling this one of the worst dubs in history over 1 or 2 inconsequential lines every other episode...when you're constantly resorting to that degree of hyperbole, eventually people will stop taking you seriously. People are worried about this seeming like an entirely different show from the sub because of what? A couple of jokes? Breathe in, breathe out, and please calm down. Super Saiyan please.
    Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
    Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
    Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
    Cold World (Fanfic)
    "It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Baggie_Saiyan
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Spider-Man wrote:
    Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yes thank you! It's absolutely painful being a Pokémon fan not only how bad the dub is but there is no Japanese legal alternative to support.

Everyone giving shit to FUNi yet somehow forget that FUNi are even re translating the subs instead of using the Toei one's, no more "Supreme Kai sama" or "King Kai Fist" all that on top of providing the Japanese track for sub fans. But a dub something that is optional has a few innocuous lines and it's the end of the world.

It seems to me people are wanting their to be some controversy so they can complain, every time there pages and pages of over reaction and hyperbole over a couple lines in an episode. It's a bit ridiculous at this point especially now people know what they're in for why stick around? You have your version stick to that.

I hope to god there is sub screening for the new movie so we get less of this. Who am I kidding people will still flock to dub screenings and look for things to complain about and we'll get pages and pages on how Broly's grunting is different to the Japanese...
    Agreed I really find the English dub of Pokemon lacking in terms of Music at least the Funimation Dub keeps the Japanese music, its the main reason why I stopped watching the english dub due to the poor direction and its a shame because I'm a huge Pokemon fan.
      I find it ridiculous that people comparing this to the 90's remember what they did to Goku character.
      It sucks. I used to catch S&M on TV after work but even now I've stopped bothering, the biggest problem I had was a lot of the voices just don't fit and of course the music, D&P was the last series I caught most of.

Hell I even asked Jerome of MangaUK if TPCi would even think of releasing the newer series on BD (since they're in native HD) but he was like it'll probably be very unlikely. Dub only w/ replacements & DVD only... Dragon Ball easily could be like this instead we have dual releases on BD available for good prices.

PremiumSalt
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Simere wrote:Are we giving credit to Funimation for getting characters right? This donut line isn't just a dumb meme that kills the drama of the scene; that Hit would be someone who'd say something like that changes the perception of who he is as a character. Same with changing lines like the one Dragon Wukong pointed out.

Dub:

Toei:

Both of them seem perfectly innocent to me. Are you going to tell me you've never heard an innocent child call something dumb before?
      Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
      Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

DB_Fan1991
      Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:12 pm

People forget that Pokémon subbed will likely never see the light of day legally. Dragon Ball fans have it great because all they have to do if they hate the dub is change the audio to Japanese.
      [url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Baggie_Saiyan
      Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Love love love the UI tease in the episode. More Goten feel like he's barely present even Kid Trunks has appeared in more, hell he was even in the Slump episode.

shadd21
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:38 pm

Jesus Christ
      https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.co ... uts-anime/

I had no idea the outrage was bad enough to earn itself an news article.
      Last edited by shadd21 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PremiumSalt
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 pm

shadd21 wrote:Jesus Christ
      https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.co ... uts-anime/

I had no idea the outrage was bad enough to earn itself an need article.
      I swear, they change like maybe one line every few episodes and people act like the sky is falling. :problem:
      Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
      Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Artorias
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Nice to see that the Funi dub is still a parody that has singlehandedly caused people to lose all of the respect they had gained for Funimation over the years.

Seeing a lot of baffling defense from people that I frankly don't get. This is just like the Toyotaro tracing debacle. It only blows up because certain people absolutely REFUSE to acknowledge that it's stupid and/or attack people that bring it up as an issue. This then encourages the other side to defend themselves and their criticism, and then it all just snowballs from there. That's why all of these things blow up to this degree.

One thing I will say though, anyone using the defense of "It's just one line, chill" is either completely ignorant of the DOZENS of changes they've made, or they're being disingenuous in an attempt to make us seem like we're freaking out over an isolated one time incident.

WittyUsername
      I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Artorias wrote:Nice to see that the Funi dub is still a parody that has singlehandedly caused people to lose all of the respect they had gained for Funimation over the years.

Seeing a lot of baffling defense from people that I frankly don't get. This is just like the Toyotaro tracing debacle. It only blows up because certain people absolutely REFUSE to acknowledge that it's stupid and/or attack people that bring it up as an issue. This then encourages the other side to defend themselves and their criticism, and then it all just snowballs from there. That's why all of these things blow up to this degree.

One thing I will say though, anyone using the defense of "It's just one line, chill" is either completely ignorant of the DOZENS of changes they've made, or they're being disingenuous in an attempt to make us seem like we're freaking out over an isolated one time incident.
      I should point out that as far as this particular thread is concerned, people started bringing up the donut line to complain about it, and to say that it shows that FUNimation as a whole have gone back to their old ways, which then led to people saying that it isn’t that big a deal, or that it’s just one line.

Anyway, that line is more egregious than any of the other lines I’ve heard from this dub. Lines like “Super Saiyan please” and “I forgot my tractor” were so minor and harmless that I never understood why they were even worth bringing up, but having Hit reference a commercial from the 1980s in a fairly serious moment is pretty baffling.
      Last edited by WittyUsername on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artorias
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Honestly, my biggest problem with the line is that it's not even funny. I get that comedy is subjective, but my god I cannot fathom how anyone finds a line like that even remotely worth a laugh. Comedy comes from a buried hint of truth in an otherwise insane situation or statement. That's why we find things funny. That's why impressions and parodies of characters are funny, because they always have a grain of truth underneath the ridiculous nature of it all. TFS Vegeta, for instance, is funny because that is basically what Vegeta would be like if his personality was turned up to 11, so that's why it's clever and gets a laugh.

THIS on the other hand, isn't funny because Hit would never say something like that. He's not a goofy character that would utter a ludicrous donut metaphor. It's literally on the same tier as "muffin button", only this is an ACTUAL DUB and it's coming from HIT. It's totally out of character, hence why it's not funny. It would be like if TFS Goku randomly started acting like TFS Vegeta. It'd just be uncomfortable and confusing.

With lines like "Oh great let's go see Yamcha", while still a dumb change that wasn't needed, that at least made me chuckle, and didn't feel out of place. THIS is just completely out of left field for the sake of a meme. If you're going to alter a scene like this, AT LEAST try to make it worthwhile by giving me SOMETHING of value, be it a laugh, or an "epic burn", or whatever.
      Last edited by Artorias on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
      I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Sure, I definitely don’t like the line either, and I can’t really understand why they would even write that, outside of making a cheap callback to a video game, but like I said, that is one of the more egregious line changes that I’ve seen from this dub, and I assume that part of the reason it’s considered so egregious is because this dub usually doesn’t go that far. If a line like this was uttered in the older dubs, it would hardly be one of the more bizarre lines of dialogue.

PremiumSalt
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:24 pm

Artorias wrote:Nice to see that the Funi dub is still a parody that has singlehandedly caused people to lose all of the respect they had gained for Funimation over the years.

I am neither ignorant nor am I purposely disingenuous, but thank you for making assumptions about the motivations of me and others who enjoy the DBS dub, it is greatly appreciated, I assure you.

I'm simply pointing out that, while the "spicing up" so to speak that Funi has done with the script does detract from the dub, and I'd prefer a dub without those changes, it's far from something that ruins the dub, and it is still leaps and bounds better than their 90s/early 00s work on the series.

Artorias
      Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:37 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:

I am neither ignorant nor am I purposely disingenuous, but thank you for making assumptions about the motivations of me and others who enjoy the DBS dub, it is greatly appreciated, I assure you.

I'm simply pointing out that, while the "spicing up" so to speak that Funi has done with the script does detract from the dub, and I'd prefer a dub without those changes, it's far from something that ruins the dub, and it is still leaps and bounds better than their 90s/early 00s work on the series.
      I'm not making assumptions, I'm making observations that are not arguable as far as I can see. It is a fact that the dub has changed dozens of lines for seemingly no reason. SO, for someone to claim that people are "freaking out over one line", either A) they are ignorant of said dub changes, or B) they are aware of the dub changes but are purposely ignoring them to put others down. Those are your only two options. Pick one.

Your second paragraph is fine, and not something I would disagree with, but it's not really what I was talking about. Of course its not as bad as the 90's.

WittyUsername
      I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Artorias wrote:
      PremiumSalt wrote:

I'm not making assumptions, I'm making observations that are not arguable as far as I can see. It is a fact that the dub has changed dozens of lines for seemingly no reason. SO, for someone to claim that people are "freaking out over one line", either A) they are ignorant of said dub changes, or B) they are aware of the dub changes but are purposely ignoring them to put others down. Those are your only two options. Pick one.

Your second paragraph is fine, and not something I would disagree with, but it's not really what I was talking about. Of course its not as bad as the 90's.
      A couple of other people in this thread have suggested that FUNimation’s dub of Super is comparable to their dub of Z at this point, so I do think it’s fair to defend the dub against comments like that.

For what it’s worth, “time to make the donuts” is supposedly a saying that existed before that Dunkin Donuts commercial, so maybe you could argue that they weren’t technically making a pop culture reference?

MajinMan
      Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:06 pm

The Super dub is unquestionably better than the old dubs before Kai, but what makes so many people hate it is that it’s more DISAPPOINTING than the older dubs. We had finally reached, as a fanbase, to a point where the dub and sub were almost identical (other than some dub holdovers like character and attack names). People were on the same page no matter which version you watched, and it was great.

And then this dub comes along and feels like it needs to “meme up” the show in order for people to be interested in it. Sabat’s quote on how “everyone has already seen the Japanese version so we’re spicing it up a bit” is ridiculous. Nobody, and I repeat NOBODY, would complain if the show was more accurate to the Japanese. Dragon Ball sells itself. Their decisions to “improve the dub” have only caused more controversy for an already controversial show. Sure, some people enjoy these changes, but if these changes had not been in the dub, this conversation would not be taking place. One last point - the “it’s just one line relax” defense has no merit anymore. It’s been 71 episodes and these single lines have added up to probably a 100 lines by this point. And the show still has 60 more episodes to go.

The disappointment some people have in this dub is the reason it’s controversial right now. One could argue that this dub is more disappointing than anything pre-Kai, if only for the fact that it dipped in quality after showing so much promise.
      Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

WittyUsername
      I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Honestly, it’s not like the dub of Kai didn’t also have weird lines that weren’t in the original, like Nappa’s once infamous “I hate the media” line, or Goku making a joke about Internet connection.