"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:02 pm

A seizure warning has just aired right before the new episode of Super (episode 114)!

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:03 pm

So Toonami put together a new Lineup bumper and that shot of Goku fighting Jiren that had been framedropped so bad it was a still image?

It’s back to normal

Any chance they talked things out with Funi and established the unedited versions weren’t a risk?

Saw someone mention above that Demarco had noticed the framedropping and would contact Funimation or something to that effect

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:04 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:02 pm A seizure warning has just aired right before the new episode of Super (episode 114)!
Ooooor they’ve worked out a deal to get uncut tapes and put warnings in front of them

Guess I shoulda waited till my cable caught up lol

Edit: okay nvm I shoulda just checked Demarcos twitter from the start

Apparently the episodes till now had been put through an automated system to make them safe for Broadcast, and the output just happened to be really bad for DBS (high frame rate drops + looped animation = still images), so they worked a deal out to cut the frames less so they’ll still be watchable in exchange for a warning proceeding the show

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:51 pm

The situation's details were discussed on the previous page by Ajay and I. (Thank you so much for clarifying some minor errors on my end, by the way, Ajay).

It's definitely weird, but I think Episode 114's results are way more bearable. Noticeable around certain scenes (ex: Caulifla's screen punching), but more seamless compared to Episode 110-113. Surprisingly, they added an epilepsy warning as well, just to be on the safe side.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:58 am

A few questions.

Why is this an issue now all of a sudden during the last arc of DBS?

Also since Toonami airs virtually at midnight why does it need to adhere to broadcast standards? For JPN the 9am slot made sense but like what is the difference between home video & the show airing close to midnight? Seems kinda dumb.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:58 am

I'm getting really into this now. I hate waiting week to week! Been a solid few episodes.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:25 am

LettuceJUMP wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:58 am I'm getting really into this now. I hate waiting week to week! Been a solid few episodes.
Don't worry, it only gets better from here on out. :)

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Ajay wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:09 pmIt's just a really bizarre way of tackling the mandates, and while it's true that additional standards beyond the Harding test vary from channel to channel, there's no indication that Toonami had any sort of excessive rules on top of what's legally required.
I think this is disingenuous? I mean, broadcast standards and practices always vary from channel to channel. They always have their own in-house rules and generally follow them very closely. Just look at things like how Outlaw Star and Tenchi were edited in the 2000s, or how different the Toonzai vs. Nicktoons edits of Kai were. Big networks have a lot of rules and it's not easy to buck whatever standards they've put into place.

I've never really seen a US company do the dimming method used for most broadcast anime either; I've seen it slip through to the US release, or those masters have been provided to me before on shows I've personally worked on (not for Turner), but I've never seen it applied to TV edits after the fact. Those are, in general, applied in the animation phase and they build two (or more) masters. One (or multiple) for broadcast, one for home video.

We've recently had to run our game through the Harding test because our game has an extreme amount of hand drawn animation in it (our intro was animated by Trigger). It failed in a lot of places. There are many different tools/programs supposedly built to help with this issue, in both identifying things as well as applying fixes, since it's impossibly hard to find it all by hand. They all handle it somewhat differently. We ended up using the tool to identify the areas and adjust them by hand, but we also have the luxury of only having a finite amount of animation to deal with.

I'm not sure how it's weird that their standard fix is to slow it down, either. I'm sure on most shows it's not as noticeable as on DBS and it's all automated.

You LOL, and mention it's not hard/slow to apply filters to video, and you could do it faster, but DBS is one of 1000s of shows broadcast on Turner Networks that goes through this check; in that pipeline doing per-shot, by hand edits like that are likely not feasible in the time they're given and with the amount of shows they have to handle. Further, this system, if it's like anything I've experienced, likely identifies the problem areas and automatically slows them down without much user interaction. Editing them by hand, while maybe fast, would still take more time. No matter how fast you are with applying filters, editing a show like this requires understanding the context of the shot and the areas effected. Like in the shot of Goku above, where they mask out his face and his arms are more effected by the edit. Identifying each shot and what you have to do to it within context is definitely more work than a bunch of if/then statements after doing some motion matching. I use a similar method to fix bad IVTCs of old TV shows all the time for home video, but it identifies combed frames instead.

The hard fact is sometimes in broadcast the more efficient method is what they have to go with, or further, they're stuck with whatever system/rules they have in place for editing, even if the results are may not perfect as doing it by hand. Further, the fact that they don't tell the public exactly what their standards are isn't exactly new or abnormal either. This kind of edit has probably been applied to numerous shows and it's just never been noticed before DBS because DBS has more frames in certain places that pushes past the norm and can affect people with photosensitivity.

The fact that they're actually editing this show differently after the backlash is probably very abnormal for them, but honestly, I think good of them.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 am

For what it's worth, it looked much better this time around. Just as well, after 110 this was the next episode they absolutely had to get right: the big Takahashi bombshell, plus the birth of Kefla.

The dub did it justice- went with "Keff-la" which I know a lot of people weren't keen on. But that name was already embedded in the public consciousness so I'm not surprised. After all, they already broke the mold to give us a more appropriate name for Top, and can I get a show of hands from people who actually use that?

Anyone?

Thought not. Anyway, best line of the ep was easily Chris Ayres' "the emperor's court needs a new jester." Silver medal goes to Elizabeth Maxwell's adorable snorty tomboy laugh. And they changed Kale's stupid "why didn't you let her hit you?" line to "that was a dirty trick." This is why people shouldn't get worked up when the dub punches up the script; sometimes it's for the best.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:47 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 am they changed Kale's stupid "why didn't you let her hit you?" line to "that was a dirty trick." This is why people shouldn't get worked up when the dub punches up the script; sometimes it's for the best.
Agreed. As much as I hate the meta/unnecessary jokes and line changes the dub adds, sometimes, regular line changes like the ones you just described are actually good in my book. Another example would be Kale's dialogue in episode 93. For me, the exchange between Caulifa, Kale, and Cabba were kind of awkward from the Japanese subs in that episode, and the dub made things less "strange" and less mildly confusing between Kale's reasoning for going Berserker regarding Cabba.

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 am

These episodes keep ending right when it gets good!!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:25 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 am These episodes keep ending right when it gets good!!
Please, don't tell me you're not used with a typical TV trope.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:49 pm

My question is, how many fighters are left? I wish they had a counter. I haven’t watched the sub and it’s hard to tell episode to episode how many are eliminated/left. I’m sure some are eliminated off screen.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:31 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:49 pm My question is, how many fighters are left? I wish they had a counter. I haven’t watched the sub and it’s hard to tell episode to episode how many are eliminated/left. I’m sure some are eliminated off screen.
The current count is 52 KOs, 28 contestants remaining, with 16 episodes to go.

The only one eliminated off-screen (for a gag no less) was Universe 9's Sorrel. Everyone else was eliminated on-screen in some form.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:13 am

LettuceJUMP wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:49 pm My question is, how many fighters are left? I wish they had a counter. I haven’t watched the sub and it’s hard to tell episode to episode how many are eliminated/left. I’m sure some are eliminated off screen.
Thankfully, a handy thread was compiled when the Tournament was originally airing: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=39114

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Kataphrut wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 am Anyway, best line of the ep was easily Chris Ayres' "the emperor's court needs a new jester."
I thought Ayres had been replaced due to a sickdom he was never gonna recover enough from to get back into voice acting?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:05 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:44 pm
Kataphrut wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 am Anyway, best line of the ep was easily Chris Ayres' "the emperor's court needs a new jester."
I thought Ayres had been replaced due to a sickdom he was never gonna recover enough from to get back into voice acting?
As far as I know he's in the process of recovering. At the moment he's voicing the character whenever he can, such as in the Broly movie and now in the show again as of episode 108.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:49 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:05 pm
As far as I know he's in the process of recovering. At the moment he's voicing the character whenever he can, such as in the Broly movie and now in the show again as of episode 108.
He’s also redubbing prior episodes that Mills had done for the home releases.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:51 pm

It was announced weeks ago that he rerecorded the dialogue Daman Mills recorded for the first batch of episodes of the arc as Frieza for the home media releases & recorded the rest of the arc for the TV airings.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:54 am

Question: has anyone calculated when Super 1.0 will finish its run on Toonami?