"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

divad86

Re: FUNimation dub of Dragon Ball Super Officially Confirmed

Post by divad86 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:00 pm

[/quote]They wouldn't make the focus of the merchandising push in summer kids if they weren't going to air it on a kids channel.[/quote] That is true. Again I was just giving out my opinion what they might do. I will say that in the five to six years Kai was on Nick, streaming was not as big of a watching format as it is now and slowly but surely the Japanese companies like Toei are starting to see that they can still gain money from streaming as gaining money from TV. With that being said it, the dub could still play on Nick edited but to watch the uncut while Buu Kai is airing on Toonami, you could watch it on Funimation's streaming service. In the end Toei and Funi get their money.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:17 pm

For Beerus and the other I would just use the Japanese word. Like with Kami-sama. I would love to see DB Super on a kids channel!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:35 pm

I think around 7:00-9:00 on Saturadays would be a great time to air Super if it were to be on Cartoon Network. It could still be part of the Toonami block, and it would come on at a time that's still easily accessible for kids to watch as well. And honestly, although Super does deal with some mature themes and has some of what would be considered swears here, it's still pretty light on things like gore that would make it have to have a kids and uncut version as completely separate entities.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:40 pm

But that would mean it could be at the mercy of CN's scheduling. And they would have to bite ye olde bullet in the first place, which simply isnt happening.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:But that would mean it could be at the mercy of CN's scheduling. And they would have to bite ye olde bullet in the first place, which simply isnt happening.

They could have Super replace Kai reruns maybe? I know those come on around 8 or 8:30.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:50 pm

That's Adult Swim's realm...but yeah. That happening is WAY more likely than anything else. Its the best of both worlds, its an accesible time that doesnt require any censorship!

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Hopefully the show will air on Cartoon Network Australia. DBZ Kai aired on there back in 2011 and I missed out on it, I definitely won't be missing out on Super if it airs on Cartoon Network. There's a severe lack of action cartoons on that channel nowadays so Super should feel like a breath of fresh air for some audiences.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:25 pm

That is the best and worst news I've heard this week. I mean, it's great to now that a dub is in production, but knowing that it will never broadcast in the UK because major TV stations think the show is too violent make me a sad panda.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:31 pm

I know the UK will air it! I checked the ratings for DBZKai and they did pretty well. After all its Toei and not Manga UK who handle TV Deals. Be patient.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know the UK will air it! I checked the ratings for DBZKai and they did pretty well. After all its Toei and not Manga UK who handle TV Deals. Be patient.
Thanks for the assurance, but I'm still keeping my expectations low.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:45 pm

Yeah. I think that's the best course of action. That way its much less painful if I do happen to be mistaken.

I wonder why the TV Deal for the USA wasnt announced immediately... this makes me hope for a kids broadcast.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:08 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Hopefully the show will air on Cartoon Network Australia. DBZ Kai aired on there back in 2011 and I missed out on it, I definitely won't be missing out on Super if it airs on Cartoon Network. There's a severe lack of action cartoons on that channel nowadays so Super should feel like a breath of fresh air for some audiences.
I hope not man, not all of us have foxtel that would cut off heaps of the audience. I'm hoping ten picks it up for their morning slot. But would they do 4/5 shows a week?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:31 pm

nato25 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Hopefully the show will air on Cartoon Network Australia. DBZ Kai aired on there back in 2011 and I missed out on it, I definitely won't be missing out on Super if it airs on Cartoon Network. There's a severe lack of action cartoons on that channel nowadays so Super should feel like a breath of fresh air for some audiences.
I hope not man, not all of us have foxtel that would cut off heaps of the audience. I'm hoping ten picks it up for their morning slot. But would they do 4/5 shows a week?
I rarely watch those channels so I can't say much about them. But back when Dragon Ball Z was airing in the early 2000s, the show was on both Cartoon Network and Channel 10, right? Maybe the same thing will happen with Super?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Is it weird that i'm more hyped for tomorrow's episode than for the english dub?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:23 pm

No it isnt. And I say this as a dub fan.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 pm

Man, its so surreal to see hardcore Dragonball fans get excited about a FUNimation dub of the anime. I mean I expect this from casuals who grew up with the dub, but here on kazenshuu its so weird after the dub and its voice cast was so vehemently hated for years.

Its so funny what a difference a single decade can make. I guess we're not in the early 2000's anymore. How times change.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:30 pm

precita wrote:...its so weird after the dub and its voice cast was so vehemently hated for years.
The cast wasn't the problem. By the latter half of the Android Arc, they were fine. The problem was the garbage scripts, among other aggravating creative changes.

After having decent dubs for almost 7 years now, it's only natural.
Retired.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:37 pm

I was about to say the same! And even if Funimation was hated they did bring lots of new fans into the fold.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:49 pm

I can't wait to see how Chris Sabat handles those hilarious Vegeta scenes from Episode 16. It is going to be glorious.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:10 am

Yeah, Sabat's going to get a lot of fun character moments in Super, and I can't wait to see how that goes.

If they can refine the voice to something a bit better, I'm also looking forward to Schemmel as Black. I remember his first God voice in games sounding closer to SSJ3/4 than what he ended up doing for Battle of Gods. Here's hoping a non-rushed anime dub will be worked out better.

I hope the wait isn't too long for either the TV airing or Blu-Rays...
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!