"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Both Schemmel and Mercer did a phenomenal job on this scene and it's going to be hard for the Bang Zoom dub to even live up to it a little bit
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:58 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Wow. Sean is on another level right now compared to some of the other overseas Goku VAs.
That was so amazing, and I can't wait to see how he handles ultra instinct.
After watching this, he's probably grateful that Ultra Instinct has Goku being mostly silent haha.

I love Sean's Goku, but it's like "dude, your poor voice," sometimes. For SSBKKx10, he attached C4 to his lungs, hit 'detonate' and blew the roof off.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:18 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Both Schemmel and Mercer did a phenomenal job on this scene and it's going to be hard for the Bang Zoom dub to even live up to it a little bit
Do you, seriously, think they could even remotely live up to FUNi with the terrible Goku they have right now?
Kataphrut wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:Wow. Sean is on another level right now compared to some of the other overseas Goku VAs.
After watching this, he's probably grateful that Ultra Instinct has Goku being mostly silent haha.

I love Sean's Goku, but it's like "dude, your poor voice," sometimes. For SSBKKx10, he attached C4 to his lungs, hit 'detonate' and blew the roof off.
Yeah. He's had his problems with that, lest we forget that, when recording for Budokai 3, he nearly passed out from recording his SS4 Goku screams for the Dragon Fist move.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Both Schemmel and Mercer did a phenomenal job on this scene and it's going to be hard for the Bang Zoom dub to even live up to it a little bit

Do you, seriously, think they could even remotely live up to FUNi with the terrible Goku they have right now?

Kataphrut wrote:

Yeah. He's had his problems with that, lest we forget that, when recording for Budokai 3, he nearly passed out from recording his SS4 Goku screams for the Dragon Fist move.
No, that's why I said what I said. The Bang Zoom dub is garbage imo with some redeeming factors
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:28 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Kataphrut wrote: After watching this, he's probably grateful that Ultra Instinct has Goku being mostly silent haha.

No, that's why I said what I said. The Bang Zoom dub is garbage imo with some redeeming factors
Yeah, Bang Zoom has a few good voices like Chi Chi Bulma and Kaio, but Lex Lang as Goku is a complete miscast IMO.

Off Topic but what do you think of Funi's One Piece dub if you've watched it?
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:40 pm

HeroR wrote:MasakoX‘s Goku screams kinda sucks imo. But I feel no one from TFS screams that well. It's like a bad dub most of the time.
Pardon? Even tho Abridged is a parody, MasakoX is closer to Nozawa than Schemmel.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm

MasakoX isn't even official, so the comparison is irrelevant. Sorry, but TFS has no place in an official way.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:It never sounded he was just screaming into the mic to me except for the early parts of Z.

MasakoX‘s Goku screams kinda sucks imo. But I feel no one from TFS screams that well. It's like a bad dub most of the time.
I...I just can't even with that second one. As for the first, whatever.
Sorry, I just don't like the screams in Abridge. The voices themselves are fine, while except Krillin who voice I despise along with MasakoX‘s take on Gohan, but the screams are just not there for me.
Noah wrote:
HeroR wrote:MasakoX‘s Goku screams kinda sucks imo. But I feel no one from TFS screams that well. It's like a bad dub most of the time.
Pardon? Even tho Abridged is a parody, MasakoX is closer to Nozawa than Schemmel.
MasakoX sounds like a poor man Nozawa. I am not even that biggest fan of Nozawa's Goku despite having mad respect for her as the original, but MasakoX doesn't even begin to compare to her. Her worse screams runs circles over MasakoX's best.
Last edited by HeroR on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:04 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Yeah, Bang Zoom has a few good voices like Chi Chi Bulma and Kaio, but Lex Lang as Goku is a complete miscast IMO.

Off Topic but what do you think of Funi's One Piece dub if you've watched it?
The dub was how I watched the series through for the first time and I love it and think that it's very well done. I haven't watched it regularly since I got caught up with it and switched to the sub to get caught up with the show but I love all their casting decisions for the Fishman Island arc (especially Jim Foronda as Vander Decken) and I plan to get caught up with it very soon

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:00 am

I wonder how long Sean Schemmel can keep up all that screaming on Goku's part...

That being said, I've been waiting to watch episode 39 dubbed ever since it came out subbed, and it did not disappoint.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 am

Next Schemmel moment to look forward too, Goku's explosion of rage vs Black and Zamasu?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:16 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Next Schemmel moment to look forward too, Goku's explosion of rage vs Black and Zamasu?
More about if his Goku Black is good.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Next Schemmel moment to look forward too, Goku's explosion of rage vs Black and Zamasu?
that sega eric vale will be in the spotlight. it is my most expected even of the year. before any movie',tv show etc... cant wait to hear eric vale again. my favorite anime voice actor

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 am

gohan_black wrote:that sega eric vale will be in the spotlight. it is my most expected even of the year. before any movie',tv show etc... cant wait to hear eric vale again. my favorite anime voice actor
Apparently someone saw a clip of the Trunks arc and said Vale sounded good! So yeah definitely something to look forward too!
HeroR wrote:More about if his Goku Black is good.
True, fingers crossed he manages to get it spot on, if so we are in for a treat of a dub!

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:53 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
gohan_black wrote:that sega eric vale will be in the spotlight. it is my most expected even of the year. before any movie',tv show etc... cant wait to hear eric vale again. my favorite anime voice actor
Apparently someone saw a clip of the Trunks arc and said Vale sounded good! So yeah definitely something to look forward too!
True, fingers crossed he manages to get it spot on, if so we are in for a treat of a dub!
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Sabat say that Goku Black's voice has been tweaked after the Rosé voice came out?
Caulifla best girl! :)

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:01 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Sabat say that Goku Black's voice has been tweaked after the Rosé voice came out?
They said they discussed the voice in length to get the best possible results. So it could be good, but everyone is cautious after Xenoverse 2 and Sean blowing up on Twitter. Although, I can't blame Sean for getting annoyed with Twitter users even if it isn't 'professional'.
Kanassa wrote:

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:49 pm

I liked a lot both Schemmel and Mercer's performances in the episode 40. But I really hate that filtered echo effect they are using for Super Saiyan Blue and God in the Funi dub. It's sounds like a demon or maybe like Vegito. I think that a regular echo/reverb effect would be better.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:18 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:No, that's why I said what I said. The Bang Zoom dub is garbage imo with some redeeming factors
I was wondering if you'd see my sarcasm or not. I was joking, dude.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:MasakoX isn't even official, so the comparison is irrelevant. Sorry, but TFS has no place in an official way.
Um, sort of, but not really. Considering that they're similar to FUNi in terms of how they started & where they've gotten to now, I'd say they're VERY relevant to this discussion in this capacity, especially since their members that live in Texas, & even Taka at times when he's come down from Canada, have been a part of official dubs for FUNi, like Lani being in the One Piece & Fairy Tail dubs for instance, plus the voices they supplied for the first 2 Xenoverse games, plus the whle Kai TFC debacle.
HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
HeroR wrote:It never sounded he was just screaming into the mic to me except for the early parts of Z.
MasakoX‘s Goku screams kinda sucks imo. But I feel no one from TFS screams that well. It's like a bad dub most of the time.
I...I just can't even with that second one. As for the first, whatever.
Sorry, I just don't like the screams in Abridged. The voices themselves are fine, except Krillin, who voice I despise along with MasakoX‘s take on Gohan, but the screams are just not there for me.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Lani's Krillin is hilarious, especially punch drunk Krillin. I mean, I still like Sonny Strait's voice for the character better, but for a spoof show, I think it works for the comedic moments. And his Gohan, while I won't say it's the best they could've picked, I still enjoy it. Though I do expect the guy they have for the Buu Saga to probably be a better fit. Wonder if Masako will voice Goten in that arc.
HeroR wrote:
Noah wrote:
MasakoX sounds like a poor man Nozawa. I am not even that biggest fan of Nozawa's Goku despite having mad respect for her as the original, but MasakoX doesn't even begin to compare to her. Her worse screams runs circles over MasakoX's best.
I mean, I'm not saying MasakoX is the master of screaming or anything, as he clearly needs more practice. He clearly only gets any voice acting experience with the abridged stuff he does, but I won't say he's poor at it. And that's the thing. Nozawa clearly has decades of voicing Goku, Gohan, & Goten, as well as all of the other characters she does in everything she's been in. MasakoX's only been at this, what, 10 years? Plus, he isn't even a professional VA with a lot of roles under his belt, so I'm not alway expecting AAA voice acting, but I won't say he isn't good for most of what he has to do.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:13 pm

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:No, that's why I said what I said. The Bang Zoom dub is garbage imo with some redeeming factors
I was wondering if you'd see my sarcasm or not. I was joking, dude.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:MasakoX isn't even official, so the comparison is irrelevant. Sorry, but TFS has no place in an official way.
Um, sort of, but not really. Considering that they're similar to FUNi in terms of how they started & where they've gotten to now, I'd say they're VERY relevant to this discussion in this capacity, especially since their members that live in Texas, & even Taka at times when he's come down from Canada, have been a part of official dubs for FUNi, like Lani being in the One Piece & Fairy Tail dubs for instance, plus the voices they supplied for the first 2 Xenoverse games, plus the whle Kai TFC debacle.
HeroR wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I...I just can't even with that second one. As for the first, whatever.
Sorry, I just don't like the screams in Abridged. The voices themselves are fine, except Krillin, who voice I despise along with MasakoX‘s take on Gohan, but the screams are just not there for me.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Lani's Krillin is hilarious, especially punch drunk Krillin. I mean, I still like Sonny Strait's voice for the character better, but for a spoof show, I think it works for the comedic moments. And his Gohan, while I won't say it's the best they could've picked, I still enjoy it. Though I do expect the guy they have for the Buu Saga to probably be a better fit. Wonder if Masako will voice Goten in that arc.
HeroR wrote:
Noah wrote:
I mean, I'm not saying MasakoX is the master of screaming or anything, as he clearly needs more practice. He clearly only gets any voice acting experience with the abridged stuff he does, but I won't say he's poor at it. And that's the thing. Nozawa clearly has decades of voicing Goku, Gohan, & Goten, as well as all of the other characters she does in everything she's been in. MasakoX's only been at this, what, 10 years? Plus, he isn't even a professional VA with a lot of roles under his belt, so I'm not alway expecting AAA voice acting, but I won't say he isn't good for most of what he has to do.
I don't care if it is a spoof. They made two of my favorite characters into characters I strongly disliked. Why should I praised them for that? To me, TFS Krillin isn't funny, especially in the Namek Saga of Abridge. He just annoying and I was glad when they killed him off. And don't get me started on Dende.

I didn't say MasakoX's was terrible or even bad. Noah compared him to Nozawa since he's closer to her Goku than Sean is. Which is to me isn't comparable since even for someone like me who isn't a big fan of Nozawa's Goku recognize her talents and she walks all over MasakoX. There is a lot of subtitles to Goku's character that Nozawa captures in his voice, even for me who can't speak Japanese at all, while MasakoX's Goku is extremely one-note. While it's funny in some part, for the most, it comes off as the same joke being told several different ways, which does get old.

But that is an issue that I have with Abridged in general. There rendition of the characters are shallow, which stands out since Dragon Ball's characters are not that deep to begin with. You can make a parody and spoof without dubbing down the characters in question for the sake of humor, even if they did get better at it compared to Seasons 1 and 2. Their version of the androids, Cell, and even their short clips with Beerus and Whis are a noticeable jumped in quality. Heck, I would say that their version of Cell is better than his original counterpart who was an interesting as cardboard. But I will say that they Beerus and Whis are hard to really spoof since they're basically meta joke on Dragon Ball already.

I will also say I in bias love their Vegeta since that is the way I always say the character.
Kanassa wrote:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 pm

HeroR wrote:I don't care if it is a spoof. They made two of my favorite characters into characters I strongly disliked. Why should I praised them for that? To me, TFS Krillin isn't funny, especially in the Namek Saga of Abridge. He just annoying and I was glad when they killed him off. And don't get me started on Dende.

I didn't say MasakoX's was terrible or even bad. Noah compared him to Nozawa since he's closer to her Goku than Sean is. Which is to me isn't comparable since even for someone like me who isn't a big fan of Nozawa's Goku recognize her talents and she walks all over MasakoX. There is a lot of subtitles to Goku's character that Nozawa captures in his voice, even for me who can't speak Japanese at all, while MasakoX's Goku is extremely one-note. While it's funny in some part, for the most, it comes off as the same joke being told several different ways, which does get old.

But that is an issue that I have with Abridged in general. Their rendition of the characters are shallow, which stands out since Dragon Ball's characters are not that deep to begin with. You can make a parody and spoof without dumbing down the characters in question for the sake of humor, even if they did get better at it compared to Seasons 1 and 2. Their version of the androids, Cell, and even their short clips with Beerus and Whis are a noticeable jumped in quality. Heck, I would say that their version of Cell is better than his original counterpart who was an interesting as cardboard. But I will say that they Beerus and Whis are hard to really spoof since they're basically meta joke on Dragon Ball already.

I will also say I in bias love their Vegeta since that is the way I always see the character.
I kind of get it, & I won't say every joke they make makes sense, or is top quality, but I really don't think they dumbed down anyone, they just turned up the heat on aspects of their characters, or introduced new ones, like Goku's more selfish traits & stupidity (which I think is where the Toei staff got it from with Super), though I think they've started to add some hidden traits to his character, Vegeta's arrogance & self importance, Gohan hating Goku, Piccolo being more protective of Gohan, Cell's extra creepy persona, as you said, etc. I'd get more it if they weren't putting genuine effort into the series, which they are, but I seriously disagree with you there. In fact, I'd say their Trunks is, basically, canon Trunks, just thrown into the Abridged version of the series. I also LOVE their version of the Broly movie for actually giving Broly a personality prior to his power up, because that one was extremely one-note originally. They've also started to show Goku's battle prowess & skill more like his canon self as well, it's just that that's added on to what was already there.
I think the thing I like most about their humor as well is that they have really good meta & 4th wall jokes thrown in & pretty good situational humor as well, but that's just me. Agree, disagree, whatever. This isn't the thread for them, so I don't think the admins would appreciate going off point any longer.