"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sun May 12, 2019 5:45 pm

VirtuaBranson wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:26 pm Any chance they clean some of this up for the Blu-Ray? I'm kinda surprised this stuff is devolving to be honest as they should know better by now. They have a history of fixing things compared to the broadcast.
Maybe? I recall when Funi first got One Piece after 4Kids lost the license, one of the early episodes in their broadcast had We Are as an insert song and the rendition they had was absolute trash. However, when they actually went back to doing the earlier episodes, they made a much better version of the song as the opening theme.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun May 12, 2019 5:53 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:45 pm
VirtuaBranson wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:26 pm Any chance they clean some of this up for the Blu-Ray? I'm kinda surprised this stuff is devolving to be honest as they should know better by now. They have a history of fixing things compared to the broadcast.
Maybe? I recall when Funi first got One Piece after 4Kids lost the license, one of the early episodes in their broadcast had We Are as an insert song and the rendition they had was absolute trash. However, when they actually went back to doing the earlier episodes, they made a much better version of the song as the opening theme.
It seems they are rushed to get these out. Sean only recorded the episode exactly 1 month ago. I think they should have just kept the song in Japanese for now and then do it properly for home video.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:12 pm Yeah the song was yikes, but had no major issues other than that, performances were stellar, script not the best but serviceable.

Honestly though, I can live with whatever minor changes are made here. I'm not a huge fan of this arc in retrospect and I don't see myself revisiting it much, if at all in the next few years so it won't really affect my enjoyment of Super's dub as a whole.
For what I saw, the performances were pretty good in general, but some of them were affected by the bad sound mixing and broadcast quality from Adult Swim.
But some of them I don't see being so good, like Markus Lloyd's Belmond and Aaron Roberts's Khai. Ian Sinclair as Whis was the best one in this episode, I think.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pm

I know I’m late to this, but wow, the English version of Ultimate Battle really does sound awful. It sounds like it was recorded with whatever equipment FUNimation used back in 1999. How does that happen? I’m guessing there’s a chance that they’ll clean that up in the home video release, but by God does that sound amateurish.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:04 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:27 am
Artorias wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 amEdit: Wow, so to top it all off they couldn't even air the footage correctly and somehow had frames drops LIVE on TV. Quality work, Funi.
That was most likely an edit made by Adult Swim to reduce the level of flashing images. Typically with Japanese television they'll ghost the frames together and decrease the contrast for a scene with flashing images, though here they've straight up just cut frames out and it's choppy as fuck. It won't be like that on the home release.
But since when has Adult Swim ever cared about flashing scenes? And the flashing scene wasn't even that bad.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 13, 2019 2:25 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pmI’m guessing there’s a chance that they’ll clean that up in the home video release, but by God does that sound amateurish.
Kai's Buu arc had some sound issues that didn't get fixed for the home release so we might end up getting this on Blu-Ray as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon May 13, 2019 6:13 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:25 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:57 pmI’m guessing there’s a chance that they’ll clean that up in the home video release, but by God does that sound amateurish.
Kai's Buu arc had some sound issues that didn't get fixed for the home release so we might end up getting this on Blu-Ray as well.
That case is actually even weirder

From what i remember, it was Fine on the broadcast

The Home release was where it got fucked up

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon May 13, 2019 11:10 pm

Artorias wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 amA lot of the voice acting in general also felt bizarrely phoned in.
Oh thank god, I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've been seeing people (on Reddit for the most part) saying stuff like "at least the performances were good" or "the performances were the saving grace" and I thought I was going crazy.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:10 pm
Artorias wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 amA lot of the voice acting in general also felt bizarrely phoned in.
Oh thank god, I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've been seeing people (on Reddit for the most part) saying stuff like "at least the performances were good" or "the performances were the saving grace" and I thought I was going crazy.
Yea, it's kinda bizarre too because I typically think most of the cast does a great job, but this week a lot of them did not bring it for whatever reason.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:19 pm

Despite the shitty song and performances, Super was the 2nd most watched thing of the night in all of cable. Yay!

#2 Super: 875,000
#20 Promised Neverland 468,000
#19 JoJo 414,000
#37 Boruto: 321,000
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 15, 2019 1:17 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:10 pm
I went back and listened to all the voices. None of them sounded phone in to me.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed May 15, 2019 1:23 am

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:12 am
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:05 am It take a lot to ruin Ultimate Battle, but FUNimation managed to do it. For fucks sake FUNimation, if ain't broke, don't fix it. I think I'm done with the FUNimation dub of Super because they obviously have no fucking idea how to direct English dubs for Dragon Ball.
Ever since the whole Vic thing happened its as if Funimation has lost all care for this property, one failure after another its insane. It's depressing because I was so looking forward to seeing the subbed scenes done in the dub and hell for the most part it was great until the Universal Survival arc. All these failures keep adding up and I don't anticipate the episodes being done well anymore, James Marsters was a break out role among the dub, on par with the sub, perfect casting for Kale, Caulifla, Hit, Jiren but everything now just leaves a sour taste in my mouth every week. At this point I'm only watching the dub because I feel "obligated" to cuz why not? Just imagine from now on when you watch the dub you'll be hearing that God awful Ultimate Battle dub everytime it shows up in the Anime, oh my God what's going to happen to that amazing final episode? I shudder what the whole song is going to be like going forward. The sad thing is that this ruins it for the dub only people while the sub watchers will have the fond memory of the sub.
It really didn't. I have seen dub only people reaction and they loved 110 despite the questionable cover of Ultimate Battle. So you can take the melodrama down.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed May 15, 2019 6:57 am

I'm just catching up on the dub episodes now and holy shit, did I just hear Richard Steven Horvitz as Dr Rota?? :lol: That is amazing! All I could hear was Billy.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 pm

I mean, yeah. Usually they release everything uncut from the original materials given to them. Odds are, this was a fuck up by Toonami. I can't imagine Toei giving them gimped masters with how they love to make money & I can't imagine FUNi giving Toonami gimped masters just for the TV broadcast.
SaiyamanMS wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:45 pm Maybe? I recall when Funi first got One Piece after 4Kids lost the license, one of the early episodes in their broadcast had We Are as an insert song and the rendition they had was absolute trash. However, when they actually went back to doing the earlier episodes, they made a much better version of the song as the opening theme.
That was because they needed to record their episodes pretty fast to keep in-line with 4Kids' airings, since they got it right after 4Kids dropped the license, but before their broadcast ended. Their dub was also initially rushed & had to conform to 4Kids' dub standards before they went back & rerecorded the entire thing from scratch at the beginning of the series.
Lord Beerus wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:05 am It take a lot to ruin Ultimate Battle, but FUNimation managed to do it. For fucks sake FUNimation, if ain't broke, don't fix it. I think I'm done with the FUNimation dub of Super because they obviously have no fucking idea how to direct English dubs for Dragon Ball.
Ever since the whole Vic thing happened its as if Funimation has lost all care for this property, one failure after another its insane. It's depressing because I was so looking forward to seeing the subbed scenes done in the dub and hell for the most part it was great until the Universal Survival arc. All these failures keep adding up and I don't anticipate the episodes being done well anymore, James Marsters was a break out role among the dub, on par with the sub, perfect casting for Kale, Caulifla, Hit, Jiren but everything now just leaves a sour taste in my mouth every week. At this point I'm only watching the dub because I feel "obligated" to cuz why not? Just imagine from now on when you watch the dub you'll be hearing that God awful Ultimate Battle dub every time it shows up in the Anime, oh my God what's going to happen to that amazing final episode? I shudder what the whole song is going to be like going forward. The sad thing is that this ruins it for the dub only people while the sub watchers will have the fond memory of the sub.
Well, that's extremely cynical & hyperbolic. A badly dubbed song & an extra word to match some lipflaps is enough for it to be the end of the world for you? I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. I can agree with bitterness towards the new Z BRs that are coming out because they're legitimately awful, but a bad dub moment, oh no, THAT'S what grinds your gears? Even though the rest of the dub is really good & enjoyable? I'm sorry, but no. Some nitpicks every now & then that I've seen with almost every episode I can understand, even though they're really nothing in the grand scheme of things, & can even forgive people bitching about, but this? Just tweet or email FUNi if you're really disappointed. They've changed some lines in the dub before when people brought them up before & they even had Chris Ayres redub Frieza's lines before that last episode for the home release & probably future reruns of them, so they might take another pass at dubbing this insert song if enough people tell them to do so. Can we just calm down about this please? Keep a level head about this, ok?
The only thing I've been disappointed in, besides the new Z BRs, has been them leaving off Vic's special feature from the home release of Super: Broly, but I at least understand why they did so. Be constructive at least please. Bring up your disappointment to Sabat or something. He actually cares about the fans being happy even if FUNi don't, so he'll understand & he has the power to change anything that he feels is worth changing.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 pm

Scsigs wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:05 pm
I mean, yeah. Usually they release everything uncut from the original materials given to them. Odds are, this was a fuck up by Toonami. I can't imagine Toei giving them gimped masters with how they love to make money & I can't imagine FUNi giving Toonami gimped masters just for the TV broadcast.
SaiyamanMS wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:45 pm Maybe? I recall when Funi first got One Piece after 4Kids lost the license, one of the early episodes in their broadcast had We Are as an insert song and the rendition they had was absolute trash. However, when they actually went back to doing the earlier episodes, they made a much better version of the song as the opening theme.
That was because they needed to record their episodes pretty fast to keep in-line with 4Kids' airings, since they got it right after 4Kids dropped the license, but before their broadcast ended. Their dub was also initially rushed & had to conform to 4Kids' dub standards before they went back & rerecorded the entire thing from scratch at the beginning of the series.
Ever since the whole Vic thing happened its as if Funimation has lost all care for this property, one failure after another its insane. It's depressing because I was so looking forward to seeing the subbed scenes done in the dub and hell for the most part it was great until the Universal Survival arc. All these failures keep adding up and I don't anticipate the episodes being done well anymore, James Marsters was a break out role among the dub, on par with the sub, perfect casting for Kale, Caulifla, Hit, Jiren but everything now just leaves a sour taste in my mouth every week. At this point I'm only watching the dub because I feel "obligated" to cuz why not? Just imagine from now on when you watch the dub you'll be hearing that God awful Ultimate Battle dub every time it shows up in the Anime, oh my God what's going to happen to that amazing final episode? I shudder what the whole song is going to be like going forward. The sad thing is that this ruins it for the dub only people while the sub watchers will have the fond memory of the sub.
Well, that's extremely cynical & hyperbolic. A badly dubbed song & an extra word to match some lipflaps is enough for it to be the end of the world for you? I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. I can agree with bitterness towards the new Z BRs that are coming out because they're legitimately awful, but a bad dub moment, oh no, THAT'S what grinds your gears? Even though the rest of the dub is really good & enjoyable? I'm sorry, but no. Some nitpicks every now & then that I've seen with almost every episode I can understand, even though they're really nothing in the grand scheme of things, & can even forgive people bitching about, but this? Just tweet or email FUNi if you're really disappointed. They've changed some lines in the dub before when people brought them up before & they even had Chris Ayres redub Frieza's lines before that last episode for the home release & probably future reruns of them, so they might take another pass at dubbing this insert song if enough people tell them to do so. Can we just calm down about this please? Keep a level head about this, ok?
The only thing I've been disappointed in, besides the new Z BRs, has been them leaving off Vic's special feature from the home release of Super: Broly, but I at least understand why they did so. Be constructive at least please. Bring up your disappointment to Sabat or something. He actually cares about the fans being happy even if FUNi don't, so he'll understand & he has the power to change anything that he feels is worth changing.
You realize that this is a Funimation dub discussion thread right? Both good aspects and bad aspects, what you're doing is saying that I can't voice my criticisms in this thread, come on guy think for second. My criticisms still stand, and no the issue is not just one or two dub changes, many people agree that Super is a downgrade from Kai, better than Z but it seems dubisms are indeed making a comeback.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 15, 2019 7:36 pm

SaiyanTarzan wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 pm You realize that this is a Funimation dub discussion thread right? Both good aspects and bad aspects, what you're doing is saying that I can't voice my criticisms in this thread, come on guy think for second. My criticisms still stand, and no the issue is not just one or two dub changes, many people agree that Super is a downgrade from Kai, better than Z but it seems dubisms are indeed making a comeback.
I get at least some of the criticisms & I understand why it's seen as a downgrade from Kai. Honestly, though, it's not a bad dub & I think people are letting the nitpicks get in the way of enjoying it.
And, I'm not saying your criticisms here aren't valid. If it's a bad dub song, it's bad. However, complaining about it here isn't going to do much. Tell Sabat & FUNi they should make it better for the home release. I'm currently waiting to binge this entire saga after it comes out on home video over here, so I can't say much outside of clips I check out. I'm just saying there are ways to constructively voice your concerns & criticisms. It's not here. And, yes, discussion is great, but a fan forum will hardly solve problems with the production. Sorry if I come off as harsh here.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm

What? Why? One can enjoy or deride the dub and voice their opinion as much as they want on a DISCUSSION FORUM.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 15, 2019 8:05 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 pm What? Why? One can enjoy or deride the dub and voice their opinion as much as they want on a DISCUSSION FORUM.
I know. Never mind. I think you're missing my point. I do enjoy the discussion otherwise. Carry on.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 pm

I know that its useless to whine and complain about the dub if its not all that warranted and especially if its not going to be heard and I agree, that was your main point. But you seem to have a tangent of "This isnt the place for complaints" when a discussion forum is open to that sort of comments.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 pm I know that its useless to whine and complain about the dub if its not all that warranted and especially if its not going to be heard and I agree, that was your main point. But you seem to have a tangent of "This isnt the place for complaints" when a discussion forum is open to that sort of comments.
I see your confusion. I wasn't saying you can't complain here & that also wasn't my main point. I said the post was being overly cynical & hyperbolic about a badly dubbed insert song & adding the word "autonomous." I think the over-the-top negativity was unwarranted. I don't mind people complaining about something they perceive as a problem, but really? The guy acted like it was the end of the universe or something that those happened. And I'M the bad guy for pointing it out?