"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DragonBallFan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 am

I'm not supporting Funimation anymore, some of those VA's are very unprofessional and I don't feel they deserve this franchise.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:35 am

DasMuse wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:08 pm DBS Facebook page just announced that Chris Ayers will be voicing freeza in the Vol. 8 release (episodes 92-105)

Did Chris voice freeza in those episodes when they aired on TV or does this mean he's re-dubbing those episodes that already aired? I assumed it was Daman Mills because the voice didn't sound like Chris when those episodes aired, but I don't know where to look into it so I wasn't sure.
Yeah, I'm completely okay with this. You can call it revisionist if you like, but it's pretty clear that Mills was only temporarily filling in. And I mean... it's a dub anyway, it's not like it's the original version of the show to begin with, I personally can't see why it'd be an issue to change the dub, they've done it before.

On a different note, I wonder if Chris will be voicing Freeza on the broadcast episodes going forward, or if he'll be too busy the recording the early episodes.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:23 am

DragonBallFan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 am I'm not supporting Funimation anymore, some of those VA's are very unprofessional and I don't feel they deserve this franchise.
What happened now that I need to pretend to care about?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:33 am

I'm assuming he's salty about Vic and how the other actors on twitter weren't nice enough to him while they take a stand against his decades of sexual harassment. We have an entire thread dedicated to how dumb and bad a take that is, so I'm not gonna discuss much more of it here.

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Post by DragonBallFan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:26 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:33 am I'm assuming he's salty about Vic and how the other actors on twitter weren't nice enough to him while they take a stand against his decades of sexual harassment. We have an entire thread dedicated to how dumb and bad a take that is, so I'm not gonna discuss much more of it here.
It doesn't matter what has happened, it's not just Vic, these VA's have been very unprofessional, it doesn't matter what happens, when your in their position you don't go ahead putting stuff out there like they did. Getting mad at people calling them cucks and beta's? That's sooo professional.

I'm not on anyones side, I don't know the whole story, and neither do you. If your one of those people that say 'believe victims no matter what', your delusional and it's going to suck one day when your accused of something you didn't do and you face the whole "believe victims no matter what". There are always two sides to a story, to think otherwise shows a critical lack of thinking on your part, people like you are dangerous, period. There have been thousands of people who have been sentenced wrongfully, you don't believe someone just because their a woman.

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Post by DragonBallFan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:27 am

VirtuaBranson wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:23 am
DragonBallFan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:49 am I'm not supporting Funimation anymore, some of those VA's are very unprofessional and I don't feel they deserve this franchise.
What happened now that I need to pretend to care about?
Decades of Sean Schemmel being a 'great' person.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:33 am

Please, don't bring this chaos into this thread.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:48 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:33 am Please, don't bring this chaos into this thread.
Agreed. Please keep it in its own thread. Not everyone wants to read about that shit in every topic. Anyway, I’m very happy that they are redubbing Freeza for the home release. I didn’t mind Mills when he was filling in for a few lines here and there and just matching Ayer’s take, but I never wanted him as a permanent replacement. I respect that he has tried to break away from just being an imitator and brought some of his own flare to the character, but I haven’t really cared all that much from what I’ve heard from him in the TOP. I enjoy Ayer’s performance much more.

DragonBallFan
Temporarily Banned

Post by DragonBallFan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:22 am

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:48 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:33 am Please, don't bring this chaos into this thread.
Agreed. Please keep it in its own thread. Not everyone wants to read about that shit in every topic. Anyway, I’m very happy that they are redubbing Freeza for the home release. I didn’t mind Mills when he was filling in for a few lines here and there and just matching Ayer’s take, but I never wanted him as a permanent replacement. I respect that he has tried to break away from just being an imitator and brought some of his own flare to the character, but I haven’t really cared all that much from what I’ve heard from him in the TOP. I enjoy Ayer’s performance much more.
Sorry about that, it's just irritating when you have people being passive aggressive on a certain subject, I wasn't even referring to the recent drama, I was referring to Sean just being a crappy person overall to fans for the past decade. But yes, let's keep to the topic at hand.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:16 pm

So.....I'm pretty sure that's Richard Horvitz as that red pig guy......it's credited under Rico Benet....but remember Zamasu......
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

DasMuse
Beyond Newbie

Post by DasMuse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 am

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:37 pm Welp, if Chris Ayres is redubbing the scenes in question, I hope somebody archives high-quality audio of the Daman Mills takes. A little annoyed that Funi is still being revisionist.
The completionist in me is hoping both versions are on the blu-ray, but I know that's too much to expect... I have the HD recordings on my DVR, but wouldn't know how to go about getting them off of the DVR. I've seen the episodes on torrent sites, but never had a reason to download them.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:37 am

I wonder if that means that they will always bring Brad Jackson back to redub Oolong in the pre TOP episodes.

VirtuaBranson

Post by VirtuaBranson » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:25 am

Even if Mills is fine, which it sounds like he is, I'll still take Ayers over pretty much anyone. He’s great. So for someone like me waiting for the complete set or seasons this is good news.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:08 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:16 pm So.....I'm pretty sure that's Richard Horvitz as that red pig guy......it's credited under Rico Benet....but remember Zamasu......
That would make two characters Mr. Horvitz voiced in Dragon Ball uncredited (Lord Chilled in Dragon Ball Legends, and now Dr. Rota in Super). The performance for Rota is too similar to be anyone else, much less be anyone listed under a "Rico B(o)enet", who doesn't even have any form of social media or resume presence. Even "newer" voice actors have that: looking up any of the Tournament of Power newcomers' VAs can attest to that.

It just me, but wonder if his alias is an indirect reference to what I talked about months back regarding him and Dawn Bennett's mentor/mentee relationship. :)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:36 pm

supersaiyandoctor wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:37 am I wonder if that means that they will always bring Brad Jackson back to redub Oolong in the pre TOP episodes.
I certainly hope so, not a fan of Bryan Massey's take. Doesn't really sound like "Oolong", it just sounds like...some guy.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Unremarkable episode with a fairly unremarkable dub to match. Only criticism I have is Tien's Neo Tri Beam sounded pretty phoned in compared to past efforts, Tien's VA always seemed really professional and dedicated so it's a bit unfortunate but given the source material this week I can't blame him.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:28 pm

supersaiyandoctor wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:37 am I wonder if that means that they will always bring Brad Jackson back to redub Oolong in the pre TOP episodes.
Yeah, Oolomg sounded really really rough in eps 89 and 91 of Super.

Bryesque
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bryesque » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:52 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am Image
Not a surprising pick! I'm assuming Jiren and Android 17 will round this set out. Any idea if there's a release date yet? (I haven't noticed one announced, anyway.)

Is it just me, though, or do the proportions seem... kinda off? Like there's a gap around her waist that logo's covering up. Maybe she was just drawn that way, though?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:57 am

Bryesque wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:52 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am Image
Not a surprising pick! I'm assuming Jiren and Android 17 will round this set out. Any idea if there's a release date yet? (I haven't noticed one announced, anyway.)

Is it just me, though, or do the proportions seem... kinda off? Like there's a gap around her waist that logo's covering up. Maybe she was just drawn that way, though?
July the 2nd.

UI Goku will probably be the final part 10 cover. Maybe "Omen" for Part 9 too. Can't see them not doing a UI for one of them.