"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:49 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Black's speech to Trunks was perfectly done here. That was one of my favourite scenes in the entire arc.
Same. However, even though I liked how Trunks was a leader in the future, I hated the whole "humans vs Black" subplot, because it makes Black look extremely incompetent lol

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:11 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:Black's speech to Trunks was perfectly done here. That was one of my favourite scenes in the entire arc.
Same. However, even though I liked how Trunks was a leader in the future, I hated the whole "humans vs Black" subplot, because it makes Black look extremely incompetent lol
I actually liked that the humans for once decided to use their fucking brains and find a way to fight back. It didn't make Goku Black any lesser of a villain because of it because they still failed miserably.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:50 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Seems to play on the whole Terminator movie vibe the original Android Arc had.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:12 am

"I am so confused"

Vale's still got it.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:50 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
How did it make him look incompetent? The surviving humans banded together to try to take him on, he takes them out (I think that's what happened, but we don't really see), then Mai tries to fight him, but he's too strong, so Trunks comes in, then Black gets blinded by a flash grenade (which isn't anything new because of the Taiyoken/SolarFlare technique essentially BEING a flash grenade) & they run away. This didn't make Black look incompetent. It made him even more of a threat by establishing how they've been fighting him to no avail.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Scsigs wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
How did it make him look incompetent? The surviving humans banded together to try to take him on, he takes them out (I think that's what happened, but we don't really see), then Mai tries to fight him, but he's too strong, so Trunks comes in, then Black gets blinded by a flash grenade (which isn't anything new because of the Taiyoken/SolarFlare technique essentially BEING a flash grenade) & they run away. This didn't make Black look incompetent. It made him even more of a threat by establishing how they've been fighting him to no avail.
How did it make him look incompetent? Really?
Trunks was gone. Black's mission was to wipe out humanity. Yet he continuously let them escape, got stopped by smoke grenades, and guns that couldn't hurt him
He looked like a fool. Especially when he had Zamasu on his side. He could sense ki, they couldn't hide from him anymore, and when Trunks arrived back in the future, Black was doing nothing but standing around gloating/sipping tea.
The Androids were far more threatening than he was to humanity, where they actually couldn't sense ki and just treated everything like a game.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:27 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Same. However, even though I liked how Trunks was a leader in the future, I hated the whole "humans vs Black" subplot, because it makes Black look extremely incompetent lol
Trunks was gone. Black's mission was to wipe out humanity. Yet he continuously let them escape, got stopped by smoke grenades, and guns that couldn't hurt him
He looked like a fool. Especially when he had Zamasu on his side. He could sense ki, they couldn't hide from him anymore, and when Trunks arrived back in the future, Black was doing nothing but standing around gloating/sipping tea.
The Androids were far more threatening than he was to humanity, where they actually couldn't sense ki and just treated everything like a game.
What are you talking about? When Goku Black first appeared he wiped out most of humanity instantly. And any time the remaining Earthlings tried to fight back, Goku Black just killed them. Plus, the Earth Resistance lead by Mai had underground bases where they could hide and Goku Black couldn't sense them when they were.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: How did it make him look incompetent? The surviving humans banded together to try to take him on, he takes them out (I think that's what happened, but we don't really see), then Mai tries to fight him, but he's too strong, so Trunks comes in, then Black gets blinded by a flash grenade (which isn't anything new because of the Taiyoken/SolarFlare technique essentially BEING a flash grenade) & they run away. This didn't make Black look incompetent. It made him even more of a threat by establishing how they've been fighting him to no avail.
What are you talking about? When Goku Black first appeared he wiped out most of humanity instantly. And any time the remaining Earthlings tried to fight back, Goku Black just killed them. Plus, the Earth Resistance lead by Mai had underground bases where they could hide and Goku Black couldn't sense them when they were.
He's been there for at least a month
Black CAN sense them. They go over this on the first episode of the arc, when Black finds Trunks because he can sense the ki of Bulma and Mai. The manga uses this as a plot point as well, but the anime uses it once then ignores it so they can have the sideplot continue
His mission is to purge humanity. He regularly says this
He constantly gets stopped by smoke grenades and flashbangs. Once is ridiculous enough, but it happens to him multiple times
He says Trunks was the only thing stopping him. Trunks is now gone, and he accomplishes nothing
Mai continually escapes, as shown in the multiple flashbacks
Instead of erasing humanity, he mostly chills in his no ningen cottage sipping tea
He has the power of at least a SS3, then gets even stronger, but he still fails to destroy humanity until the very end of the arc
Later on, he and Zamasu have Trunks cornered dead to rights, yet the next episode they're back in their cottage while Trunks is somehow alive with the resistance
He's incredibly incompetent when it comes to his actual mission lol

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:18 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: How did it make him look incompetent? Really?
Black CAN sense them. They go over this on the first episode of the arc, when Black finds Trunks because he can sense the ki of Bulma and Mai. The manga uses this as a plot point as well, but the anime uses it once then ignores it so they can have the sideplot continue
He constantly gets stopped by smoke grenades and flashbangs. Once is ridiculous enough, but it happens to him multiple times
He says Trunks was the only thing stopping him. Trunks is now gone, and he accomplishes nothing
Instead of erasing humanity, he mostly chills in his no ningen cottage sipping tea
He has the power of at least a SS3, then gets even stronger, but he still fails to destroy humanity until the very end of the arc
Later on, he and Zamasu have Trunks cornered dead to rights, yet the next episode they're back in their cottage while Trunks is somehow alive with the resistance
Goku Black was only to find Bulma because he could sense Trunks. It was the same deal with when Trunks and Mai where trying to escape. If you have miniscule power level, as the average human does, it's very difficult to downright impossible to sense their Ki. Especially when said humans hide in isolated areas. That's why Goku Black couldn't sense any mortal when they were underground, and hence why he couldn't tell there were more mortals to kill. He can only sense the energy of the reaming Earthlings when they're wide out in the open and made themselves known. Hell, in the second episode of the Future Trunks arc, as Future Trunks escapes and he tries to sense Future Trunks ki, he doesn't pick up anything. If there were other mortals lying around, he would have sensed him in that moment, but he doesn't. Because the remaining humans have isolated themselves so Goku Black can't read their Ki. Bulma, Mai and the rest of the Earth Resistance got found out because their were in buildings that were out in open, making it much easier for Goku Black to find them. That's why when Mai and the Earth Resistance bum rushed Goku Black and Zamasu in Episode 57 and 63, neither Goku Black nor Zamasu could tell they were there.

Also, you can't really defend yourself against mustard gas attack (smoke grenades aren't yellow) or flash grenades. Especially when you don't see them coming. Flash grenades blinds and disorientates you instantly. And mustard gas fucks you up as soon as you make even a bit of contact with it. Just because Goku Black can heal himself doesn't mean he still doesn't feel pain and temporarily lose function of his senses. You can't really sense when someone will throw one of those kinds of things at you. Goku Black isn't omnipotent.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: What are you talking about? When Goku Black first appeared he wiped out most of humanity instantly. And any time the remaining Earthlings tried to fight back, Goku Black just killed them. Plus, the Earth Resistance lead by Mai had underground bases where they could hide and Goku Black couldn't sense them when they were.
Goku Black was only to find Bulma because he could sense Trunks. It was the same deal with when Trunks and Mai where trying to escape. If you have miniscule power level, as the average human does, it's very difficult to downright impossible to sense their Ki. Especially when said humans hide in isolated areas. That's why Goku Black couldn't sense any mortal when they were underground, and hence why he couldn't tell there were more mortals to kill. He can only sense the energy of the reaming Earthlings when they're wide out in the open and made themselves known. Hell, in the second episode of the Future Trunks arc, as Future Trunks escapes and he tries to sense Future Trunks ki, he doesn't pick up anything. If there were other mortals lying around, he would have sensed him in that moment, but he doesn't. Because the remaining humans have isolated themselves so Goku Black can't read their Ki. Bulma, Mai and the rest of the Earth Resistance got found out because their were in buildings that were out in open, making it much easier for Goku Black to find them. That's why when Mai and the Earth Resistance bum rushed Goku Black and Zamasu in Episode 57 and 63, neither Goku Black nor Zamasu could tell they were there.

Also, you can't really defend yourself against mustard gas attack (smoke grenades aren't yellow) or flash grenades. Especially when you don't see them coming. Flash grenades blinds and disorientates you instantly. And mustard gas fucks you up as soon as you make even a bit of contact with it. Just because Goku Black can heal himself doesn't mean he still doesn't feel pain and temporarily lose function of his senses. You can't really sense when someone will throw one of those kinds of things at you. Goku Black isn't omnipotent.
For the record, the Solar Flare is really just a gloried flash grenades yet no one seems to mock it.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned Colleen's performance yet. And I'm talking about as Future Mai, Kid Mai is whatever. Do you guys just don't care about Mai as much as I do or what?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:09 pm

HeroR wrote:For the record, the Solar Flare is really just a gloried flash grenades yet no one seems to mock it.
That's EXACTLY what I said earlier in this thread! Flash grenades are exactly the same thing as Solar Flare & vice versa. The whole point of both of them is an escape move or tactical advantage anyways, since if one of your senses gets overloaded, it's not like the rest of your body's not gonna be thrown for a loop too. Hell, the only way you're not gonna be affected by a sudden burst of light right to your eyes is if you're blind already or your eyes aren't open. It fucks with you to be suddenly blinded, which is why flash grenades exist.
Not even Goku Black is immune to the effects of that. He's not omnipotent because he didn't wish to be & he's not a god. He's the consciousness of a god in a Saiyan body. Goku himself is not impervious to his senses being screwed with, which I think was shown in the original Dragon Ball, right? Didn't Tien blind Goku with it, or something? Even in GT, which I know isn't officially canon anymore but go with me, Cell uses the attack on Goku in Hell to absorb him & it works to blind him. It's the same logic with Black. His physical weaknesses are the exact same as Goku's, since it's his body. Why would anyone be surprised by that? It makes no sense to be.
And, yeah, humans have very low power levels unless they learn Ki control & train to make themselves stronger. Black wiped out the majority of the humans in Trunks' timeline, but when you go exterminating, it gets harder to get rid of something as the population dwindles when you get more surface area & less of them. It's simple logic. Black can't sense individual ki unless it's right in front of him & he's having a hard enough time tracking them down because of it. Ki sensing is already limited by distance & power level, so just apply regular humans having very weak ki levels already & it makes perfect sense. Literally the only thing Black could do to make sure they're definitely dead is blow up the planet, but Saiyans can't survive in space outside of an atmosphere without extra help (that's the closest I can comprehend the numerous continuity errors with Frieza pointing it out, then that being proven false in other instances, not even counting where Goku sends that rabbit guy to the moon), so it'd be difficult for him to do so. Plus, he seems to really enjoy killing people that are right in front of him, so his bloodlust is what's keeping him on Earth. Plus, I think he wants to wipe out sentient life, not planets, so there's some other stuff there. I'm not saying he's a great villain, but he's a lot like Skynet (makes sense because Toriyama loves Terminator), he wants the universe for himself rather than just ruling over it. That's at least what I've gotten from the anime, since I have yet to read the manga's version of the events of this arc.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:50 pm

I don't know how to post images, so I'll just post the link

https://www.sanity.com.au/products/2345 ... _Exclusive

Sanity Australia has this exclusive cover art for Super Part 1, with Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Beerus and Whis. I really like it rather than just the one character shot on the cases. It's weird that all the places selling Part 1 with slip covers don't do it for the other Parts though.

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned Colleen's performance yet. And I'm talking about as Future Mai, Kid Mai is whatever. Do you guys just don't care about Mai as much as I do or what?
Not really no
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:50 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:I'm a little surprised that no one mentioned Colleen's performance yet. And I'm talking about as Future Mai, Kid Mai is whatever. Do you guys just don't care about Mai as much as I do or what?
I mean, everyone's already gotten their words out about her by now, I think. You missed that discussion by a bit.

Starscreacher

Post by Starscreacher » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 am

This is Goku Blacks last appearance for a few episodes right?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Starscreacher wrote:This is Goku Blacks last appearance for a few episodes right?
He shows up again in flashbacks and Trunks' mental training.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:09 pm

So, we finally have a direct comparison between Nozawa & Schemmel as Goku Black from the Super dubs & I'd say it's easier to judge the performances with this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XbFWmz ... ploademail
Schemmel hams it up really well while Nozawa keeps it extremely calm & low, but Schemmel's not far from that at the same time. I love it.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:33 pm

schemmel should get an oscar for this speech

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Black's speech was excellent. As too Vale's overall performance massive step up over Kai.