"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by AzuraRacon » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:51 pm

precita wrote:The dub seems to have regressed to DBZ Buu saga levels in terms of dialogue and added jokes. Goku singing "Cha La La" had no reason to be there.

I fully expect Goku to say, "Look, people popcorn!" and such. The Buu saga dub was better than the earlier seasons and more accurate but still had jokes added by FUNI, that's what the Super dub feels like.

I might agree with you if characters singing/humming various theme songs weren't something the Japanese version has been doing for decades

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:40 am

precita wrote:The dub seems to have regressed to DBZ Buu saga levels in terms of dialogue and added jokes. Goku singing "Cha La La" had no reason to be there.

I fully expect Goku to say, "Look, people popcorn!" and such. The Buu saga dub was better than the earlier seasons and more accurate but still had jokes added by FUNI, that's what the Super dub feels like.
Haha, that's a good one. :clap: :roll:

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Guess I have to rewatch the dub of the Buu Saga in Z, but Super is definitely not at that level, at least not completely. There have been bad dub lines such as "Time to make the donuts," but Goku singing "Cha-la Head Cha-la" is just fun little fan service.

The only time a post Kai dub even comes close to the old dub's cringe is them using "pwned" in TFC.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:48 pm

The scripting is pretty much on the same level as Buu saga DBZ, but I'd still say the Super dub is somewhat better, based just on the voice acting.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:26 pm

gokaiblue wrote:

Guess I have to rewatch the dub of the Buu Saga in Z, but Super is definitely not at that level, at least not completely. There have been bad dub lines such as "Time to make the donuts," but Goku singing "Cha-la Head Cha-la" is just fun little fan service.

The only time a post Kai dub even comes close to the old dub's cringe is them using "pwned" in TFC.
When did they use "pwned" in TFC?
DHM211 wrote:

The scripting is pretty much on the same level as Buu saga DBZ, but I'd still say the Super dub is somewhat better, based just on the voice acting.
What? In terms of the script, it's MUCH better than Z. Even at Z's best, it was still far from even decent. I don't get how anyone can even say this with a straight face.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:51 am

3 days left until the dub version for Limit Break x Survivor!! I can't wait!!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:42 am

Not necessarily. Remember that the first few episodes of the Portugal Portuguese dub didn't have their dubbed version of Limit Break x Survivor.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:49 am

Danfun64 wrote:Not necessarily. Remember that the first few episodes of the Portugal Portuguese dub didn't have their dubbed version of Limit Break x Survivor.
However that was due to an error from the studio since the opening was dubbed for the first episode and when those episodes reaired they had the dubbed opening
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Kefla's dubbed voice(s) surfaced from the recent Xenoverse 2 livestream. If one can get past the host's voices (and the video's increased volume), Kefla's first impressions are positive in my book. But for the life of me, I can't seem to pin down the specific Funimation actresses that could be in the role.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:55 pm

UltraPrimus22 wrote:Kefla's dubbed voice(s) surfaced from the recent Xenoverse 2 livestream. If one can get past the host's voices (and the video's increased volume), Kefla's first impressions are positive in my book. But for the life of me, I can't seem to pin down the specific Funimation actresses that could be in the role.
Some people in chat were thinking one of them was Kara Edwards. She does sound a bit like Gotenks.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:09 pm

Comments like these just makes me facepalm. This fandom sometimes... :crazy:

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Here's a clear clip of Kefla's voice without any other noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idNLvVUGm8Y One of them sounds like Videl to me but I can't figure out the other one. Might be Erica Mendez? Edit: nope, she confirmed on twitter it's not her.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:36 pm

superfan2024 wrote:

Exactly!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Scsigs wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:

Exactly!
That's precita being precita. Assume he's doing some bit at all times.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:03 am

Gonna throw one of my Kafla voice guesses into the hat: I'm certainly not 100 percent on this, but I THINK I hear Madeleine Morris in there. She plays Frederica Greenhill in the Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These dub. I couldn't find a clip on YouTube, but the LoGH dub's on VRV if anyone wants to take a listen for themselves.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:34 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:Gonna throw one of my Kafla voice guesses into the hat: I'm certainly not 100 percent on this, but I THINK I hear Madeleine Morris in there. She plays Frederica Greenhill in the Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These dub. I couldn't find a clip on YouTube, but the LoGH dub's on VRV if anyone wants to take a listen for themselves.
I don't know her very well, but that fact that it's someone from the Texas talent pool and doesn't already have a major Dragon Ball credit makes it a better guess than a lot of people have been making. The amount of people I've seen saying it must be Laura Bailey because that's the only female VA they know... Never mind that she already quit being Trunks and has just had a baby.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:42 pm

MrTennek wrote:

Haha, that's a good one. :clap: :roll:
The fact that you people look down on added jokes in Dragon Ball is just ridiculous. That is part of what people, and especially me as a child loved about the series. I loved watching a series that was action packed and still funny.

You purist are part of the problem with the dragon ball franchise. Your condescending attitudes obviously don’t matter because they’re not dubbing to satisfy you people.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:35 am

TheOne wrote:The fact that you people look down on added jokes in Dragon Ball is just ridiculous. That is part of what people, and especially me as a child loved about the series. I loved watching a series that was action packed and still funny.

You purist are part of the problem with the dragon ball franchise. Your condescending attitudes obviously don’t matter because they’re not dubbing to satisfy you people.
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

First of all, the purists are just wanting accurate scripts (which they ARE getting, but don't realize that for whatever reason). They don't WANT to shit on anyone's parade, but it bothers them that the dub isn't as accurate as they want it to be & they express their opinions. That's perfectly reasonable to understand.

Second, the jokes from Z's dub aren't like the ones from Super's. The Z dub used terrible script rewrites in almost every scene to make the series less serious & more jokey than they were originally. Super's dub only adapts jokes when they are made in the first place to fit an English speaking audience better. Lines that aren't jokes are done in a similar way, where they're only changed, if they are in the first place, to fit in English better than the original lines, or at least that's what they're trying to do. Everyone can feel free to disagree if they don't think it is. However, this is where I need to interject on the comedy. If anything, Super's dub knows when to restrict its comedy & I think its sense of humor is better than Z's dub's. They 2 aren't really comparable in Z's favor. And, yes, the dub IS being done to be watched by as many people as possible. That's what dubs are for. The fact that they're throwing in references like Goku singing 'Cha La' really confirms that. It's not bad that they did that, but it's what they're going for.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Well guys , this is it. The dub has finally arrived in the biggest longest and final arc of Dragon Ball Super, that being the Universe Survival Arc. How will Funimation will handle this arc? Well we shall find out right now! On Toonami. [adult swim]
Caulifla best girl! :)

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:34 pm

They showed the full Limit Break X Survivor. It actually was decent.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]