"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:43 am

The English dub for Limit Break X Survivor was absolutely great. It's not as good as original Japanese version, but it's a more than satisfactory substitute.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:32 am

The opening was fine to me. I’m still not sure why FUNimation even bothered doing a cover, though. Don’t most other anime dubs just stick with the original Japanese openings and endings?

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:30 am

Aside from the opening, was there any other dub changes in the episode?

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:58 pm

WittyUsername wrote:The opening was fine to me. I’m still not sure why FUNimation even bothered doing a cover, though. Don’t most other anime dubs just stick with the original Japanese openings and endings?
I think it's just to make it easily accessible to people who don't normally watch anime but remember dragon ball fondly from it's run on Cartoon Network or who have just heard a lot about it

It tends to be a gateway too so I can understand funimation wanting to take measures to make it easily accessible

The Japanese openings are on the sets' Japanese tracks anyway so it's something I'm fine with

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:Yikes.

I dunno why people like this english rendition of the opening, as if the added harmonies to the singing was bad enough the guy doesn't know how to sing through his damn consonants, not to mention he just jumps to the end of the phrase on a held note. Japor should have been used for this because he at least knows how to sing the style of this music despite this stretching his range, this sounds like a bad mix of country and pop.

I'd even take an "engrish" version by the original group than what we got
"Added harmonies"?
Dude, the original version had those too. They're just more pronounced in the English dub's mix of Nate's cover. Seriously, listen again, maybe with headphones, to the Japanese version... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNYZT8wnUg
Maybe it's because of the mixing, or the fact that Nate has a lower register than Kiyoshi Hikawa, but they did the exact same things as Hikawa did when recording it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iODtLYDGGsk / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCHIy1RcEU
Nate naturally tunes his guitars differently in his covers & original songs, so I don't know if it's the fact that they just used the instrumentation from the original & had Nate record all of the new vocal tracks (even the harmonies), but they did basically everything that was in the original, though it COULD also be YouTube's compression that's having me say that.

"Sing through his damn consonants"?
What? He's paced really well in this cover. If you have any problems with that, you probably should bring it up with Sabat, since it's most likely the dub team that wrote the lyrics for this cover.

"Jumps tot he end of the phrase on a held note"?
Then the Japanese version did that too.

"Japor should have been used for this because he at least knows how to sing the style of this music despite this stretching his range, this sounds like a bad mix of country and pop"?
Dude, Nate sings Rock music all the time. His YouTube channel is full of Rock, Pop Punk, Alternative Rock, & other genres of Rock. He's well versed in singing in this style. Hell, he does English covers of Anime theme songs too. His cover of the first Attack on Titan is how I found him & that cover is really well done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg1XXZY8yDk Again, he's in a different register, but he still does a great job.
And, "a bad mix of Country & pop"? He doesn't have a goddamn twang in his voice. Where are you hearing that? You should get your ears checked, dude.
Ajay wrote:Huh, surprised to see people split on the English version of OP2. I thought they did an excellent job, especially compared to OP1 that I really wasn't fond of in English.
To be fair, the original wasn't that good as an opening to DB, so...
WittyUsername wrote:The opening was fine to me. I’m still not sure why FUNimation even bothered doing a cover, though. Don’t most other anime dubs just stick with the original Japanese openings and endings?
Because they can & want to? Gotta remember, this is Sabat we're talking about. His style of anime dubbing basically boils down to, "as accurate as we can get, while also having fun with it & trying to make the thing as entertaining to an English-speaking audience as the Japanese version is to its viewers," so the English openings & closings fit with that.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:04 pm

I think it's because they have a history of dubbing OPs and EDs for DB.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:18 pm

So, typed out the lyrics. Can't discern what Nate sang in one line, can anyone help me out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNYZT8wnUg

2, 3, 4...

Time has come, I'm ready to go (Go)
Venturing into the unknown (Go)
Fires inside me must be unleashed

People talking nonsense all day (Go)
[Not sure] will come, that's all they can say (Go)
I can't get no satisfaction (Oh, oh)

Challenges may come (Oh, oh)
Fighting's just begun
There's no stopping me from spreading out my wings (Let's fly high) (Oh, oh)

Concentrate my power (Oh, oh)
In the final hour
In the end, I am gonna win!

Don't you know I'm unstoppable?
Don't even try 'cause you will fall!
I've gotta strain (Oh) deep in my soul (Oh)
That gives me courage and control

I'll go beyond the Limit Break
The universe is mine to take
I have no fear (Oh), I think it's clear (Oh)
Let's kick it up into high gear

Oh, this is Dragon Ball Super
We've got the skills to blow Zeno away

To me, it sounds like something like "cheat", or something. Damn YouTube audio compression.
Last edited by Scsigs on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Scsigs wrote: People talking nonsense all day
[Not sure] will come, that's all they can say
I believe in that part, the lyric is "chinpunkan, that's all they can say" with the "chinpunkan" coming directly from the original Japanese lyric.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Scsigs wrote: "Added harmonies"?
Dude, the original version had those too. They're just more pronounced in the English dub's mix of Nate's cover. Seriously, listen again, maybe with headphones, to the Japanese version... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcNYZT8wnUg
Maybe it's because of the mixing, or the fact that Nate has a lower register than Kiyoshi Hikawa, but they did the exact same things as Hikawa did when recording it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iODtLYDGGsk / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCHIy1RcEU
Nate naturally tunes his guitars differently in his covers & original songs, so I don't know if it's the fact that they just used the instrumentation from the original & had Nate record all of the new vocal tracks (even the harmonies), but they did basically everything that was in the original, though it COULD also be YouTube's compression that's having me say that.
Except the english version's harmonies overshadowed the main singing, and the original; version's harmonies *actually* were only in a couple places. I use a logitech headset, I can hear just fine.
Scsigs wrote: "Sing through his damn consonants"?
What? He's paced really well in this cover. If you have any problems with that, you probably should bring it up with Sabat, since it's most likely the dub team that wrote the lyrics for this cover.
\

LOL

One of the basics of singing is that when you're singing is that you put emphasis on the vowels and then go through the consonants, he basically held onto consonants like Trump to his tax returns.
Scsigs wrote: "Jumps tot he end of the phrase on a held note"?
Wrong, japanese version holds out the vowels in notes that aren't quarter notes like any proper singer would, maybe you should listen to it again
Scsigs wrote:"Japor should have been used for this because he at least knows how to sing the style of this music despite this stretching his range, this sounds like a bad mix of country and pop"?
Dude, Nate sings Rock music all the time. His YouTube channel is full of Rock, Pop Punk, Alternative Rock, & other genres of Rock. He's well versed in singing in this style. Hell, he does English covers of Anime theme songs too. His cover of the first Attack on Titan is how I found him & that cover is really well done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg1XXZY8yDk Again, he's in a different register, but he still does a great job.
And, "a bad mix of Country & pop"? He doesn't have a goddamn twang in his voice. Where are you hearing that? You should get your ears checked, dude.
That means absolutely nothing, there are plenty of singers in the genre who still have no clue how to sing the style. The difference between them is amateurs and professionals. Funimation decided to go with an amateur and it showed. I think you're just biased here, and my ears are fine. I'm both classically and contemporary trained when it comes to singing so I know what I'm talking about

"I CYANTTT GYETTT NYO SYATTISFACTIONNNN"

"BRYEEEAK"

"AWAEEEH"

I said it was a bad mix of country and pop, so we get slight twangs here mixed with some heavy auto-tune, incredibly bad phrasing, and we get a terrible cover for limit break x survivor. Sorry but I'm not sugarcoating it. It was bad, and normally I'm a staunch defender of the dub.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:50 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:
Scsigs wrote: People talking nonsense all day
[Not sure] will come, that's all they can say
I believe in that part, the lyric is "chinpunkan, that's all they can say" with the "chinpunkan" coming directly from the original Japanese lyric.
Thanks for pointing this out. Once I was listening for that word, I heard it clearly.

So, corrected for that, the lyrics are...

2, 3, 4... 

Time has come, I'm ready to go (Go)
Venturing into the unknown (Go)
Fires inside me must be unleashed 

People talking nonsense all day (Go)
"Chinpunkan," that's all they can say (Go)

Challenges may come (Oh, oh) 
Fighting's just begun 
There's no stopping me from spreading out my wings (Let's fly high) (Oh, oh) 

Concentrate my power (Oh, oh) 
In the final hour 
In the end, I am gonna win! 

Don't you know I'm unstoppable? 
Don't even try 'cause you will fall 
I gotta strain (Oh) deep in my soul (Oh) 
That gives me courage and control 

I'll go beyond the Limit Break 
The universe is mine to take 
I have no fear (Oh), I think it's clear (Oh) 
Let's kick it up into high gear 

Oh, this is Dragon Ball Super 
We've got the skills to blow Zeno away.

One thing I think would've been cool is instead of "The universe is mine to take" would've been something with "for the gods' sake," since there are multiple classifications of gods in this series. I don't know, just something I've been thinking of since I first heard the song in general & other English covers of it.

Wonder what they could've put instead of "chinpunkan," though. Considering the original translates roughly to "I'm used bein' confused!" from "Chinpunkan wa narekko dai!" I mean, it works as a wordplay joke, with the line before it, "People talking nonsense all day," but I can't help but thing that there could've been a different line in its place. The original Japanese "ちんぷんかん" seemingly translates to "babble," so maybe something with that. I'm overanalyzing this, but that's my brain for ya.
Diccolo-420 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: "Added harmonies"?
Except the english version's harmonies overshadowed the main phrase, and the original; version's harmonies *actually* were only in a couple places. I use a logitech headset, I can hear just fine.
Scsigs wrote: "Sing through his damn consonants"?
\

LOL

One of the basics of singing is that when you're singing is that you put emphasis on the vowels and then go through the consonants, he basically held onto consonants like Trump to his tax returns.
Scsigs wrote: "Jumps tot he end of the phrase on a held note"?
Wrong, japanese version holds out the vowels in notes that aren't quarter notes like any proper singer would, maybe you should listen to it again
Scsigs wrote:"Japor should have been used for this because he at least knows how to sing the style of this music despite this stretching his range, this sounds like a bad mix of country and pop"?
That means absolutely nothing, there are plenty of singers in the genre who still have no clue how to sing the style. The difference between them is amateurs and professionals. Funimation decided to go with an amateur and it showed. I think you're just biased here, and my ears are fine. I'm both classically and contemporary trained when it comes to singing so I know what I'm talking about

"I CYANTTT GETTT NYO SYATTISFACTIONNNN"

"BRYEEEAK"

"AWAEEEH"

These are just three examples of twangs
Ok, but slurs of his words, or maybe having too much exhaled breath, aside, I still think the cover's superbly done. Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit biased, but that's just because I like Nate as a singer. And, I'd hardly call someone who's been doing covers with professional equipment, recorded 2 full original albums, has done small tours, & started his own indie record label an amateur. Small-time, yeah, but he's come a long way even since I found out about him 5 years ago.
I also think that maybe you're overanalyzing his vocals & inflections, since I certainly don't hear what you are & I've had this song on a loop for a while now. He certainly doesn't have a twang in his regular speech & I've never heard any in his singing.

Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diccolo-420 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:04 pm

Scsigs wrote: Ok, but slurs of his words, or maybe having too much exhaled breath, aside, I still think the cover's superbly done. Yeah, maybe I'm being a bit biased, but that's just because I like Nate as a singer. And, I'd hardly call someone who's been doing covers with professional equipment, recorded 2 full original albums, has done small tours, & started his own indie record label an amateur. Small-time, yeah, but he's come a long way even since I found out about him 5 years ago.
I also think that maybe you're overanalyzing his vocals & inflections, since I certainly don't hear what you are & I've had this song on a loop for a while now. He certainly doesn't have a twang in his regular speech & I've never heard any in his singing.
Slurs aren't the problem, in fact having a slight slur when singing rock/pop is great because you don't want to sound overly precise on the consonants.

I'm not over analyzing, these issues stick out because they don't fit the style of singing and when they all come together it just drags this cover down. The reason why I Japor/Mark de Groot or even Jonathan Young are preferable is because they don't have these issues, or at least to the extent Nate does. The only issue they have is that this song is slightly stretching their range.

That's great about his experience, but his performance on here made him sound like a complete amateur. Like I said you can sing in the genre and still not know how to actually sing the style properly. It's why some singers are more popular than others.

I'm only saying this because I wanted the dub to have a great rendition of the song in english and it was pretty sub-par.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:29 pm

[spoiler]
Diccolo-420 wrote:Slurs aren't the problem, in fact having a slight slur when singing rock/pop is great because you don't want to sound overly precise on the consonants.

I'm not over analyzing, these issues stick out because they don't fit the style of singing and when they all come together it just drags this cover down. The reason why I Japor/Mark de Groot or even Jonathan Young are preferable is because they don't have these issues, or at least to the extent Nate does. The only issue they have is that this song is slightly stretching their range.

That's great about his experience, but his performance on here made him sound like a complete amateur. Like I said you can sing in the genre and still not know how to actually sing the style properly. It's why some singers are more popular than others.

I'm only saying this because I wanted the dub to have a great rendition of the song in english and it was pretty sub-par.
[/spoiler]
I mean, disagree, but to each their own, I guess.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:53 pm

FUNimation did a great job with the opening. I was not prepared to see it dubbed already.

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:04 pm

While I think the new dubbed opening sounds alright, I feel like there's not enough energy in his voice though.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Yes, but for me, I miss dub openings. One reason is I often like to sing to the theme song when it's playing at times, and I suck at singing in Japanese. At cons when doing karaoke, if a song's in Japanese, I can be stilted and trying to read along with the lyrics, but if it's in English, I'm more energetic. Asking fellow native English speakers, which language do you sing better in between English and Japanese, (and please don't just answer that you're not good at singing and don't try)?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Jean0987654321 wrote:3 days left until the dub version for Limit Break x Survivor!! I can't wait!!
It was decent, hope they don't dub "Ultimate Battle" though, this music is pure gold in japanese. They shouldn't risk themselves on ruin it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Noah wrote:
Jean0987654321 wrote:3 days left until the dub version for Limit Break x Survivor!! I can't wait!!
It was decent, hope they don't dub "Ultimate Battle" though, this music is pure gold in japanese. They shouldn't risk themselves on ruin it.
I mean, they usually dub the background music, so count on them doing it with that song.

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:38 am

The opening is trash. Why do they keep dubbing the songs? All of the dubbed songs sound awful. Why can't they just leave them be? They don't do this with any other series.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Kale & Caulifla voices.

Sounds good!
Caulifla sounds perfect! :lol: Don't recognize her voice actor though. Gonna guess that Kale is Stephanie Sheh since she sounds like Hinata.