"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:20 am

Good for him! That man deserved that transplant.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:03 pm

[url=https://twitter.com/JustChrisSabat/stat ... 5702710273[/url]
For Gogeta, we each modify our voices a little bit. He makes his voice a little more gravely and "regal" and I make my voice a little lighter and "Goku-like". Then we give him a punky attitude. We use software o merge the reads together into one. ]So I found this very interesting.
So for Vegito, they just do an impression of the other actor. For Gogeta, read their lines as if the other character. Interesting bit of performance differentiation for characters that really aren't written that differently.

I love this shit.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:26 am

Not sure if this thread is too old for me to post in here.

Anyway, I am currently doing a rewatch of the Tournament of Power's dub. Other than stuff about the dub Ultimate Battle and others which have been talked about here, are there any differences in character portrayal and story beats compared to the sub so, if I were to discuss about that someday, I could be careful about being accurate? My memory of the ToP is a bit foggy in most parts so I don't quite remember.
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

I'm really not an expert on the matter, but I like to think.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:58 am

Yo'Goodfella wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:26 am are there any differences in character portrayal and story beats compared to the sub so, if I were to discuss about that someday, I could be careful about being accurate? My memory of the ToP is a bit foggy in most parts so I don't quite remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-rcug_zNA
Jiren not liking Dragons comes to mind :lol:

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:00 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:58 am
Yo'Goodfella wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:26 am are there any differences in character portrayal and story beats compared to the sub so, if I were to discuss about that someday, I could be careful about being accurate? My memory of the ToP is a bit foggy in most parts so I don't quite remember.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs-rcug_zNA
Jiren not liking Dragons comes to mind :lol:
Well seems I forgot about that then. I remember seeing some good memes about that.

It probably won't be anything too relevant.
Pretty much a guy who has been really late on catching up with Dragonball and Fighterz.

Yo'Goodfella
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yo'Goodfella » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:05 am

I finished watching the dub of the ToP, so I'll just throw in some impressions, for those who may be interested.

I find the casting to be overall really solid. Most of the VAs, I feel like they did a really good job. If I have to pick my top 3...

3. Veronica Taylor as Brianne/Ribrianne

That first time I heard her Brianne de Chateau voice, I was shocked at how beautiful it was. At the risk of giving her too much credit, her performance was heart melting at times, and probably would have gotten first place if she stayed that way. As Ribrianne, she still sounded great most of the time, although she was a bit too dainty for my liking at times. Well, at least since she can do that high of a pitch and that first appearance, which gave me strong Micaiah (Fire Emblem Heroes) vibes, it shows she's still got range.

2. Elizabeth Maxwell as Caulifla

This one's much simpler to define. I just really really like her Caulifla. She sounds smug and lively without feeling too arrogant. Also she has the best laugh in the ToP. Vegeta came close though. And as much as you can feel more of Caulifla's personality in Kefla, you can feel more of Elizabeth's voice in her performance in the dub.

1. Ian Sinclair as Whis

I ADORE how Ian portrays him. In particular, the excitement Whis feels when UI comes first into the scene was contagious. His comments are all a joy to listen to for me, and I would love to have him as a teacher if he bringed as much flair into his lessons about boring stuff as he did with thw exposition and teachings about UI.

Speaking of which, I don't mind Autonomous Ultra Instinct as a choice. It was done kind of out of necessity. Same for all the little line changes that have to be done to match lip movement, such as Kale's "Goku the (insert derogatory noun)". I felt that was the weirdest one.

I also don't mind most other changes that try to be funnier or avoid repetition. I don't hear Ribrianne saying "love" as much as what I remember based on what I watched and what I've read on forums (except on 117) and I feel Krillin has gotten quite a hit more variety and some added snark when in the stands ("I hate it when Mom and Dad fight" comes to mind).

Another thing that I felt the performances did is that I noticed certain characters, when on their ropes, sound quote pained and desperate, I feel more than the sub. Most notably Brianne, just after being slammed into a rock alongside Rozie being eliminated, and Jiren while discussing with various opponents in the middle of his shock therapy.

That said, that frame drop issue... It becomes more and more noticeable as we go on and as more intense fights are displayed, and despite the efforts to increase FPS, it still makes me feel bad every time I see it.

Also about Ultimate Battle's dub... I'll just say it sounds boring and that's not good considering when it's played.

Overall, I'd say I enjoyed myself.

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:12 pm

As a guy who never really watched the original dub. I really preferred it versus the funi dub for the last arc. I think what bothered me were the changes of the lines. Like if the lines were literally on par. I would have liked it more.