"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:55 am

Dub Jiren hates those untrustworthy dragons, coming over to Universe 11, taking our jobs and our women: https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1170 ... 90464?s=20

I'm well past complaining about Super dub changes, I've been saying that all through the show's run. But that one was really baffling. For what's it worth, I'm of the opinion that Jiren is a villain as opposed to a tournament "rival" (he's the Piccolo Jr to Hit's Tien, if you know what I mean) but he's one step away from saying he'll "Show them. Show them all!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 am

I have no idea why FUNimation would make Jiren more tyrannical with their scripting. Jiren was never a villain to begin with. An asshole sure, but never an outright tyrant. Out of all the times that FUNimation has changed the script, this occasion was the most creatively bizarre and unnecessary.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:27 am

This is such a bizzare script change, I don't know what to make of it. I've already seen plenty of memes on Twitter about it, I'm sure they will be funny to look at in years to come while we all say "Hey remember the Super dub :lol: ". At least its not as bad as Hit's Donut line but maybe that's not saying much.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Yeah....while most of the changes in the past were minor....this arc seems to be making a lot of character changes such as Gokū not being concerned about Gohan, 17 being way too cocky, and now this. Plus, the acting from many of the cast seems dull. It's almost as if they're tired of doing this.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:35 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:47 pm Yeah....while most of the changes in the past were minor....this arc seems to be making a lot of character changes such as Gokū not being concerned about Gohan, 17 being way too cocky, and now this. Plus, the acting from many of the cast seems dull. It's almost as if they're tired of doing this.
Didn’t Chris Sabat admit a while back that they’re not putting a ton of effort into Super because most people have already seen it in Japanese?

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:35 pm
gokaiblue wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:47 pm Yeah....while most of the changes in the past were minor....this arc seems to be making a lot of character changes such as Gokū not being concerned about Gohan, 17 being way too cocky, and now this. Plus, the acting from many of the cast seems dull. It's almost as if they're tired of doing this.
Didn’t Chris Sabat admit a while back that they’re not putting a ton of effort into Super because most people have already seen it in Japanese?
I thought that referred to the scripting not the acting. I'm appalled that he'd say that in regards to the acting. An actor should always give their all
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:50 pm

gokaiblue wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:45 pm
I thought that referred to the scripting not the acting. I'm appalled that he'd say that in regards to the acting. An actor should always give their all
As far as the actors not giving it their all is concerned, I don’t necessarily think that’s surprising. The Tournament of Power isn’t exactly the most exciting arc in Dragon Ball, and I’d imagine that people like Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat just want to get it over with at this point. All the nonsense with Vic Mignogna might not have been helping matters either.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:01 pm

He said over the years they've liked to joke around in the booth and they figured that since most people have already seen Super in Japanese why not give them something different for the dub.

I don't agree with this line of thinking, but if Santa is to be believed that is how we've got to where we are with the Super dub.

It's still leagues better than the old Z dub, but a step down from Kai nonetheless.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:15 pm

On the subject of the weird translation of Jiren’s “strength is absolute” line, I’m guessing FUNimation may have been attempting to give him a more clear motive. Let’s be honest here, Jiren’s entire philosophy in the Japanese version of the anime is about as generic and vague as it gets, and I assume that script writers for the dub realized that and tried to elaborate more on it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m certainly not saying I agree with the idea of making Jiren seem like even more of an asshole than he already was, especially since I think Jiren would’ve worked better as a genuinely heroic character. I’m simply offering a possible explanation for why the dub did what it did with him.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:01 pm

The dragon line definitely stands out as odd. Belmod's english VA tried his hardest to bring more justification to Jiren's backstory but it was honestly only slightly better in English. I forgot how ridiculously weak and cliche it way, honestly it would have been better if they just omitted it all together. The fact that the enemy is just a mysterious ominous force is ridiculous.

And I am sure that Sabat line about them not trying has been misconstrued. It seems what he was trying to say is that the dub is kind of it's own product, the original version is there in in it's entirety for those that want to view it, so he doesn't mind taking some liberties with the script. Whether that is the right philosophy to go with when dubbing is the cause of many arguments I'm sure.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:39 am

The dragons line is legitimately hilarious to me

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:16 am

Another good performance from the dub, the freight trains line stuck out to me as a definite change but the next time he referenced Jiren's power sounded fine.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:53 am

I wondered how they were going to handle the Ultra Instinct friendship scene. Everyone just saying Goku's name wouldn't have worked necessarily well here. So, instead we get little bits of encouragement from everyone. Except of course...
I almost spit my drink at that. Don't complain about the change, doesn't matter, best line.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:20 am

I'm watching the catch-up marathon of Super currently on Toonami &, man, does Dyspo's VA sound out of place. Other than talking with a Brooklyn accent in an imitation of Bugs Bunny, the voice tone is...off from what I expected. And it's not because he's obviously voiced by a black dude. It sounds oddly mixed into the audio & the acting is a little stiff in most of his delivery.
Kinda the same with Belmod. That voice tone doesn't fit that character design. It's too deep. I'd rather Mike MacFarland with his Buggy voice or something. Like, Top's voice is VERY well done & fitting for his character design. The other 2? Not really.

On another note, WHY do they have the U7 sidelines continually restating either what was already stated or showed? Other than eating up time, I mean. It comes off as unnecessary filler. I know they were really stretching out this arc for as long as possible, but really? I thought we were passed the days of Z's bullshit fillers.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:34 am

Scsigs wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:20 am On another note, WHY do they have the U7 sidelines continually restating either what was already stated or showed? Other than eating up time, I mean. It comes off as unnecessary filler. I know they were really stretching out this arc for as long as possible, but really? I thought we were passed the days of Z's bullshit fillers.
From what I understand that kind of play-by-play stuff is one of several things in anime that went full circle from being a consequence of limitations to being a legitimate stylistic/narrative choice by writers and directors who grew up watching shows with those limits

They’re especially prevalent in tournament arcs anyway

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:38 pm

Just watched the final episode live. Really enjoyed. Now we wait to see if anything new gets announced soon.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:17 am

Not gonna lie, there's something surreal about the Super dub ending/being caught up.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:17 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:17 am Not gonna lie, there's something surreal about the Super dub ending/being caught up.
Yeah definitely. Forgot how good the last episode is. Ultimate battle dub is still pretty lackluster unfortunately, but the cast performances were great. 18's line about 17 not wishing for the cruiser seems a lot more natural here than it did in Japanese where everyone thought she was psychotic.

I'm sad it's over. Had a fun time reexperiencing super through the dub. Bring on whatever is next!

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Hey guys can someone clarify something for me Geekdom101 was talking about the last episode of Super and said Chris Ayres did a phenomenal job. I was under the impression Daman Mills took over as Frieza after episode 92? If not and I am mistaken what episode did Chris come back to voice Frieza again. It’s great if he has been healthy enough to return on the episodes. I know he was Frieza in Broly but that is a lot less involved than lots of episodes.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm Hey guys can someone clarify something for me Geekdom101 was talking about the last episode of Super and said Chris Ayres did a phenomenal job. I was under the impression Daman Mills took over as Frieza after episode 92? If not and I am mistaken what episode did Chris come back to voice Frieza again. It’s great if he has been healthy enough to return on the episodes. I know he was Frieza in Broly but that is a lot less involved than lots of episodes.
Some time after Daman took over. Chris rerecorded the episodes he did & after, then they switched to his takes for the broadcast & they're on the home releases. They announced that months ago. I think Sabat tweeted that out. Did you miss that? I thought it was brought up here when it happened.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs