"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1084
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Planet Sadla

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:34 pm

The episode starts now on Disney XD! No wait I mean Toonami! Man, I wish l Super was airing on Disney XD. I know mecha3000 would agree with me on that. You know what, we're gonna talk about that later this week, unless you guys talk about some other page-worthy subject that happens in this episode.
Caulifla best girl! :)

User avatar
DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1197
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:57 pm

Yoka Yoka Dance is dubbed and it actually sounds good.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

mint0h
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:29 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by mint0h » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Yoka Yoka Dance is dubbed instead of opting for the Japanese ver first for a couple episodes (like Forever Dreaming, perhaps this is a trend?), and I also agree that it sounds good.
Could do with a little less filter, but the lyrics sound catchy enough.

User avatar
Footlong Shoe
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 pm
Location: Garner, NC
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:02 am

mecha3000 wrote:So, tonight's the night we should be hearing the dub version of Ending 5 (Yoka Yoka Dance). Wonder what it'll be called. Maybe Relax Relax Dance (since I believe this is what it loosely translates to)? I'm glad because I'm burnt out by Ending 4, not to mention it shows visuals from the U6 Arc - which we're now done with.
Turns out they kept "Yoka Yoka Dance". I wasn't a fan of this dubbed version but, comparing it to the others, it really isn't that bad.
Steam - Footlong Shoe (psn_trooperman567)
XBL - Footlong Crocs
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1776


Hit me up, I might be willing to talk or play!

User avatar
SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by SSGSS Goku » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:08 am

Yoka Yoka Dance dubbed for those who missed it https://youtu.be/yjaPCYxq25Y

User avatar
mecha3000
Regular
Posts: 558
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by mecha3000 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:14 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
mecha3000 wrote:So, tonight's the night we should be hearing the dub version of Ending 5 (Yoka Yoka Dance). Wonder what it'll be called. Maybe Relax Relax Dance (since I believe this is what it loosely translates to)? I'm glad because I'm burnt out by Ending 4, not to mention it shows visuals from the U6 Arc - which we're now done with.
Turns out they kept "Yoka Yoka Dance". I wasn't a fan of this dubbed version but, comparing it to the others, it really isn't that bad.
Yeah, I was just about to comment that. For some reason, as I was watching the episode itself - I started to think: "Y'know what? They might just keep Yoka Yoka Dance because it's easier to keep in and has a catchy feel to it." And then they did it, so I was like: "Oh wow". Also, like Ending 4 - This has an auto-tune quality to it, but like Ending 1, 2, and 4 - It's at least better than how Funimation handled Ending 3, so it's a win. I can imagine myself marathoning the episodes on the eventual Blu-ray release and not skipping the song.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:The episode starts now on Disney XD! No wait I mean Toonami! Man, I wish l Super was airing on Disney XD. I know mecha3000 would agree with me on that. You know what, we're gonna talk about that later this week, unless you guys talk about some other page-worthy subject that happens in this episode.
Wait, are you CureDragon? Because I usually discussed this stuff with Cure. But yeah, I still stand by the fact that Super would be infinitely better on Disney XD because we'd possibly be able to get more than one episode a week and Disney XD would air it more throughout the week, rather than only ONCE a week. More exposure for new kid fans too, fitting the kids toy releases. Disney XD also treats Pokémon REALLY well from what I remember and Dragon Ball and Pokémon were the pioneers of anime popularity in the West so I'd like them to be on the same channel. And don't hate me, but I weirdly miss the edits because it was always cool to pick up the home releases and compare it to the edits. Sabat said there's an edited dub of Super that exists out there that he hopes is never used. I'd still like to see it, for curiosity sake.

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1627
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:32 am

Is it me or did Black have a slight accent tonight?

User avatar
uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:53 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:The episode starts now on Disney XD! No wait I mean Toonami! Man, I wish l Super was airing on Disney XD. I know mecha3000 would agree with me on that. You know what, we're gonna talk about that later this week, unless you guys talk about some other page-worthy subject that happens in this episode.
Why would you want it to air on XD? That would likely mean getting edited for content.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2798
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:07 am

OLKv3 wrote:Is it me or did Black have a slight accent tonight?
I noticed a lot of shifts in how Schemmel did the voice. First it was how he'd BEEN doing the voice, then deeper, then a slight accent when he fought Goku, then back to normal. I love how he hammed it up though. Bouncing off himself as Goku must've been a fun experience for him, since Goku rarely gets any snarky dialogue for him to use.


Anyway, did anyone notice that they changed the heart line? Or was it a reference to Goku's body? There was a moment where Black clenched his chest & I thought that the original line said something about his heart, which is one of the major thing that people speculated about him, but then again, he referenced Goku's body not being his a bit earlier, so I guess they felt the line was a bit redundant? I don't know. Can anyone confirm?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Artorias » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:19 am

Scsigs wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Is it me or did Black have a slight accent tonight?
I noticed a lot of shifts in how Schemmel did the voice. First it was how he'd BEEN doing the voice, then deeper, then a slight accent when he fought Goku, then back to normal. I love how he hammed it up though. Bouncing off himself as Goku must've been a fun experience for him, since Goku rarely gets any snarky dialogue for him to use.


Anyway, did anyone notice that they changed the heart line? Or was it a reference to Goku's body? There was a moment where Black clenched his chest & I thought that the original line said something about his heart, which is one of the major thing that people speculated about him, but then again, he referenced Goku's body not being his a bit earlier, so I guess they felt the line was a bit redundant? I don't know. Can anyone confirm?
I don't think their was ever any mention of his heart. I think that was literally just the DB community at it again with ridiculous baseless speculation.

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1627
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:30 am

Scsigs wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Is it me or did Black have a slight accent tonight?
I noticed a lot of shifts in how Schemmel did the voice. First it was how he'd BEEN doing the voice, then deeper, then a slight accent when he fought Goku, then back to normal. I love how he hammed it up though. Bouncing off himself as Goku must've been a fun experience for him, since Goku rarely gets any snarky dialogue for him to use.


Anyway, did anyone notice that they changed the heart line? Or was it a reference to Goku's body? There was a moment where Black clenched his chest & I thought that the original line said something about his heart, which is one of the major thing that people speculated about him, but then again, he referenced Goku's body not being his a bit earlier, so I guess they felt the line was a bit redundant? I don't know. Can anyone confirm?
He pretty much said the same lines he said in the dub. The fandom made up the heart thing because he grabbed his chest, even though the flashback showed he was grabbing it because of Goku's attacks
I also love how hammy Sean was tonight

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2798
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:29 am

Artorias wrote:I don't think there was ever any mention of his heart. I think that was literally just the DB community at it again with ridiculous baseless speculation.
OLKv3 wrote:He pretty much said the same lines he said in the dub. The fandom made up the heart thing because he grabbed his chest, even though the flashback showed he was grabbing it because of Goku's attacks.
I also love how hammy Sean was tonight.
I see. Maybe it was based on a bad fansub? Because I remember back when that episode aired that some people said some shit about him talking about his heart, so I expected that to be in the dub too. I ask that because there was some misinformation of a bad fansub of one of the last U6 episodes that mistranslated Whis explaining how the 12 universes worked together & that the twin universes are the ones that add up to 13 to something really incoherent. Man, tons of unnecessary misinformation in this fandom.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Regular
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 am

I already posted this in one of the Toonami Africa topics and it's not really relevant to the current Goku Black stuff, but, um, I kinda stumbled upon the Toonami Africa version of Episode 1. They apparently premiered it as a part of a livestream on their Facebook page! You have to skip past an hour or so of weird voting game stuff, but towards the end the episode is definitely there. It's weird that none of us caught this since this was THREE MONTHS AGO. I'm even more surprise that this livestream archive is still up.

The biggest part of this find is that this is, in fact, an edited dub! While it seems there are no visual edits ("Satan" on the Satan City sign and on Mr. Satan's car remain unchanged), Mr. Satan's name is changed to Hercule in the spoken dialogue and some of the humor that may be deemed inappropriate has been toned down. The examples I caught were Mr. Satan's line about powdering his nose and going pee has been altered to only mention the powdering nose part, "toilet water" is called "smelling water" and Videl refers to it as "face wash," the hot spring only makes your skin "silky smooth" rather than "as smooth as a baby's butt," and Roshi's line about buying dirty movies has been altered to just be about regular movies. The opening is the full Engrish Chozetsu Dynamic and the ending is the full English Hello, Hello, Hello. The eyecatches and the NEP are retained. The opening's visuals are a bit weird, though, being a mix of the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F arcs' visuals. But yeah - this is definitive proof of the existence of an edited Super dub! If any of you have access to Toonami Africa, I am sure that many people, myself included, would be grateful if you were to record any episodes of this broadcast that you can. They'll surely have these audio edits if not some visual edits for the more violent and dirty bits, giving us nerds plenty to fuss over!

Edit: So I found this video apparently containing clips from later episodes in this broadcast. The audio in these clips are definitely toned down since they cut out a "Damn" from Goku and Bulma is toned down from telling Goku to knock Beerus down "on his skinny cat butt" to "on his skinny cat tail" instead. However, she still refers to Super Saiyan God as, well, Super Saiyan God. Guess that answers the question of whether they'd keeping the name or not!

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:19 am

Anyone got DBS Part 3 yet? Curious if they're still keeping the OP in JPN.
SSGSS Goku wrote:Yoka Yoka Dance dubbed for those who missed it https://youtu.be/yjaPCYxq25Y
Sounds good! Sounds like Wiedenheft to me?
What's the next ending? We need Vic on song!

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6070
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:05 am

“THEY’RE IN MAH BELLY!”

Damn, I love Beerus's VA. Also, did they change Beerus's line? Sounds like he's foreshadowing da fuck outta of the ending
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1627
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:47 am

Kanassa wrote:“THEY’RE IN MAH BELLY!”

Damn, I love Beerus's VA. Also, did they change Beerus's line? Sounds like he's foreshadowing da fuck outta of the ending
He said the same kinds of things in the original version. The anime and manga heavily foreshadowed the ending

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2798
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:37 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:“THEY’RE IN MAH BELLY!”

Damn, I love Beerus's VA. Also, did they change Beerus's line? Sounds like he's foreshadowing da fuck outta of the ending
He said the same kinds of things in the original version. The anime and manga heavily foreshadowed the ending.
It seems like they did it on purpose for the rewatch bonus in the original.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:20 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:I already posted this in one of the Toonami Africa topics and it's not really relevant to the current Goku Black stuff, but, um, I kinda stumbled upon the Toonami Africa version of Episode 1. They apparently premiered it as a part of a livestream on their Facebook page! You have to skip past an hour or so of weird voting game stuff, but towards the end the episode is definitely there. It's weird that none of us caught this since this was THREE MONTHS AGO. I'm even more surprise that this livestream archive is still up.

The biggest part of this find is that this is, in fact, an edited dub! While it seems there are no visual edits ("Satan" on the Satan City sign and on Mr. Satan's car remain unchanged), Mr. Satan's name is changed to Hercule in the spoken dialogue and some of the humor that may be deemed inappropriate has been toned down. The examples I caught were Mr. Satan's line about powdering his nose and going pee has been altered to only mention the powdering nose part, "toilet water" is called "smelling water" and Videl refers to it as "face wash," the hot spring only makes your skin "silky smooth" rather than "as smooth as a baby's butt," and Roshi's line about buying dirty movies has been altered to just be about regular movies. The opening is the full Engrish Chozetsu Dynamic and the ending is the full English Hello, Hello, Hello. The eyecatches and the NEP are retained. The opening's visuals are a bit weird, though, being a mix of the Battle of Gods and Resurrection F arcs' visuals. But yeah - this is definitive proof of the existence of an edited Super dub! If any of you have access to Toonami Africa, I am sure that many people, myself included, would be grateful if you were to record any episodes of this broadcast that you can. They'll surely have these audio edits if not some visual edits for the more violent and dirty bits, giving us nerds plenty to fuss over!

Edit: So I found this video apparently containing clips from later episodes in this broadcast. The audio in these clips are definitely toned down since they cut out a "Damn" from Goku and Bulma is toned down from telling Goku to knock Beerus down "on his skinny cat butt" to "on his skinny cat tail" instead. However, she still refers to Super Saiyan God as, well, Super Saiyan God. Guess that answers the question of whether they'd keeping the name or not!
Very Interesting! I was wondering if they were still continuing the edited dubs but for reasons like this I guess they still are.

Changing the Roshi joke to regular movies makes sense, for some reason BZ decided to change it to about Roshi wanting to gamble which struck me as silly, gambling is much worse than dirty movies so they censored something out with something much worse never made sense to me.

User avatar
uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by uncutpokemon » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:36 pm

So any idea who sings the new ending?

User avatar
gohan_black
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:10 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by gohan_black » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:49 pm

terrible preformence by schemmel all the way. the part where he laugh in the end is so cringey. like something taken from an 80's anime

Post Reply