"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Artorias » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:23 am

Hit!! wrote:How in the world is "I'm the star of this damn show" altering the story in any way?? I understand that the line is kind of out of place and sounds way too TFS ish, but its not a big deal either.

Another thing is that the best thing FUNI can do is make some changes here and there, because the original japanese dialogue is soooo bad!!!
I was using the generic phrase "altering the story" as a catch-all phrase meaning "changing lines just for the sake of changing them". The applies to any line no matter how important, or in this case, basic.

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1632
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:33 am

Schemmel's dub Black makes me think of Manga Black, and now I'm realizing that much of my enjoyment of Goku Black was his voice. He's not nearly as fun without it.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:50 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Scsigs you really gotta chill. I agree that people are over blowing the dubs problems but Christ man. This is the same thing with the TFS Kai thing. Anyone who disagreed you basically snapped at.
The Kai thing was a matter of opinion as to if they really fit in. Personally, I believe they did given how far the dubs have come since the old days. Others don't because they don't like TFS. I can maybe get not liking them, but I don't think some people really appreciate how awesome it would've been to have them in there, seeing as it was a semi-extension of Taka, Lani, & Kaiser being in the Xenoverse duology. I've stated my opinions & reasonings before & I think we're both beating dead horses here.

On the matter at hand, the person I responded to thinks he heard Schemmel matching Marsters' voice tone.
"Black and Zamasu sounded so much alike in many scenes that it was hard to say who was speaking. Sean did a good job match Zamasu’s voice, but you also hear a little of Goku in there too."
At least that's how I read it. They have similar dialogue, but in no way do they sound alike in voice tone, sorry. That's what I was trying to say.
I'm not calling anyone insane for their opinions, I'm just stating I don't agree with them, or see their reasonings as any more convincing as mine, seeing as they're based on feelings I don't share, or logic that I don't see. And I'm not saying this guy is insane for thinking he heard what he heard, I just don't hear it at all, nor was that Schemmel's intention outside of the accent. Ok?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Artorias » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:33 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:Marsters is doing a fantastic job, so well that Sean seems to emulate him a bit too much. He needs to stick to what he already has for Black.



PFHAHAHAHAHAHA No.

To say it's anywhere near as bad as anything in the original Z dub is just plain hilarious, if anything the sub line is retardedly cringey.

"CRUMBLE INTO DUST", sorry but when ripping on opponents Vegeta generally doesn't resort to heightened language. The dub line makes wayyy more sense to come after the line before it. "You're the opening act", if anything the sub not giving Vegeta a response to that was cringey. I don't understand how anyone can defend the sub line vs the dub line unless you're just defending it because it's the sub.

I'm glad funi is doing changes to super's lines, because the sub takes itself wayy to seriously considering A. the circumstances B. How bad the writing is. It's ironic how now I trust Funi to write a better script and story than Toei animation, who pretty much just does stuff for the sake of selling toys at this point and become an utter joke.
Where did I say it was as bad as the original Z dub?

Second, I don't care how "bad" you think the script is. A dub that changes the script heavily is a bad dub in my book. There are VERY few exceptions where line changes should be made, those being awkwardly phrased sentences, jokes that don't make sense in English, cultural references that wouldn't make any sense, etc. Other than that, stick to the source material. I don't want them regressing and using their "artistic license" to alter the dialogue to their liking. That's not your job. Know your place as a dub. You are there to translate the story, not alter it.

I also don't even understand how you can say the sub "takes itself too seriously". I think it's the EXACT opposite. The show could use a little bit of grounded seriousness to create some tension and emotion for once. It's far TOO laid back in my opinion.

And lastly, I guess it comes down to taste, but I find "I'm the star of this damn show" 1000% more cringy than "Crumble into dust".
"stick to the source material" even when the source material is crap. I can understand it for Z since the source material was great, not so much in super. You're exaggerating big time, you still didn't address how "crumble into dust" does not follow the line before, yet "I'm the star of the damn show" actually does. Is that because Funimation actually knows how to write now and Toei has gone to the kiddy pool?

Not only that but you failed to address how "crumble into dust" is totally out of character for Vegeta.
First, I don't see why the line has to "fit". Not everything needs to be a part of some stupid made up metaphor in that scene. Are the characters just supposed to keep going back and forth with their lines pretending that they're in a play? Second, I don't even get what you mean when you say that's out of character for Vegeta. That seems like the exact kind of thing that Vegeta would say.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:45 am

Artorias wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Where did I say it was as bad as the original Z dub?

Second, I don't care how "bad" you think the script is. A dub that changes the script heavily is a bad dub in my book. There are VERY few exceptions where line changes should be made, those being awkwardly phrased sentences, jokes that don't make sense in English, cultural references that wouldn't make any sense, etc. Other than that, stick to the source material. I don't want them regressing and using their "artistic license" to alter the dialogue to their liking. That's not your job. Know your place as a dub. You are there to translate the story, not alter it.

I also don't even understand how you can say the sub "takes itself too seriously". I think it's the EXACT opposite. The show could use a little bit of grounded seriousness to create some tension and emotion for once. It's far TOO laid back in my opinion.

And lastly, I guess it comes down to taste, but I find "I'm the star of this damn show" 1000% more cringy than "Crumble into dust".
"stick to the source material" even when the source material is crap. I can understand it for Z since the source material was great, not so much in super. You're exaggerating big time, you still didn't address how "crumble into dust" does not follow the line before, yet "I'm the star of the damn show" actually does. Is that because Funimation actually knows how to write now and Toei has gone to the kiddy pool?

Not only that but you failed to address how "crumble into dust" is totally out of character for Vegeta.
First, I don't see why the line has to "fit". Not everything needs to be a part of some stupid made up metaphor in that scene. Are the characters just supposed to keep going back and forth with their lines pretending that they're in a play? Second, I don't even get what you mean when you say that's out of character for Vegeta. That seems like the exact kind of thing that Vegeta would say.
It's called context, I know hard to understand since you seem to worship the original super script so much which is utter shite, but context of lines makes them better and the context of Vegeta's line fits the scenario better than the generic "crumble into dust", which is something I'd expect from OG dub funi which kept giving vegeta Shakespearean speeches. Vegeta may elevate his speech occasionally but most of the time he keeps his insults low. It's funny how funi now has a better understanding for vegeta's character than Toei does/

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7771
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:05 am

Artorias wrote:I think I'm the only one left that still isn't too fond of English Zamasu.
I am not too fond of it either, in fact I am not fond of it at all.

User avatar
The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:24 am

AloversGaming wrote:
Firebolt wrote:Is it just me or is Schemmel's Goku voice in Super a lot more strained and raspy compared to his performance in Kai?

Also Goku sounded a lot like Rosé Black when he said "You got sloppy!" Really hope it's just a mistake and they fix it later on.

People say the original Z FUNI voice acting was terrible, and it was, but Schemmel's current take on Goku is simply bad.
I wouldn't say bad. Its just he tries to capture Goku naivety and excitement for fighting. Its just that its really annoying at times.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1632
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:06 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Artorias wrote:I think I'm the only one left that still isn't too fond of English Zamasu.
I am not too fond of it either, in fact I am not fond of it at all.
The bored yet egotistical voice fits him imo. He handled his rage quite well too when he quietly called Goku a sinner

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:24 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
"stick to the source material" even when the source material is crap. I can understand it for Z since the source material was great, not so much in super. You're exaggerating big time, you still didn't address how "crumble into dust" does not follow the line before, yet "I'm the star of the damn show" actually does. Is that because Funimation actually knows how to write now and Toei has gone to the kiddy pool?

Not only that but you failed to address how "crumble into dust" is totally out of character for Vegeta.
First, I don't see why the line has to "fit". Not everything needs to be a part of some stupid made up metaphor in that scene. Are the characters just supposed to keep going back and forth with their lines pretending that they're in a play? Second, I don't even get what you mean when you say that's out of character for Vegeta. That seems like the exact kind of thing that Vegeta would say.
It's called context, I know hard to understand since you seem to worship the original super script so much which is utter shite, but context of lines makes them better and the context of Vegeta's line fits the scenario better than the generic "crumble into dust", which is something I'd expect from OG dub funi which kept giving vegeta Shakespearean speeches. Vegeta may elevate his speech occasionally but most of the time he keeps his insults low. It's funny how funi now has a better understanding for vegeta's character than Toei does/
I mean, if we're going to throw words like "worship" around, you sound like you worship the Funi script, and would no matter what changes it makes. Vegeta doesn't need to follow the context. In fact, he shouldn't in that scene. It's playing to the villain's little game of metaphors to belittle Vegeta, and he wouldn't humor him by stooping down to that level.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:46 am

2 weeks later and people still hung up on that line? Aye aye aye.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:27 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:2 weeks later and people still hung up on that line? Aye aye aye.
If it represents a bigger issue that I feel is affecting the show more than just this one time, yeah sure. Not sure why that bothers you. If it were an isolated event I wouldn't give it a second thought.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:
Artorias wrote:
First, I don't see why the line has to "fit". Not everything needs to be a part of some stupid made up metaphor in that scene. Are the characters just supposed to keep going back and forth with their lines pretending that they're in a play? Second, I don't even get what you mean when you say that's out of character for Vegeta. That seems like the exact kind of thing that Vegeta would say.
It's called context, I know hard to understand since you seem to worship the original super script so much which is utter shite, but context of lines makes them better and the context of Vegeta's line fits the scenario better than the generic "crumble into dust", which is something I'd expect from OG dub funi which kept giving vegeta Shakespearean speeches. Vegeta may elevate his speech occasionally but most of the time he keeps his insults low. It's funny how funi now has a better understanding for vegeta's character than Toei does/
I mean, if we're going to throw words like "worship" around, you sound like you worship the Funi script, and would no matter what changes it makes. Vegeta doesn't need to follow the context. In fact, he shouldn't in that scene. It's playing to the villain's little game of metaphors to belittle Vegeta, and he wouldn't humor him by stooping down to that level.
Not really that hard to prefer the funi script considering how bad the original is, I'm not saying it's always great but most of the time it outshines the original by a mile in terms of writing.

Are you kidding me? Vegeta usually does stoop whenever he gets called out or insulted and gets triggered. Explain why he reacted so against Android 17 after getting taunted for being weak, or how he got enraged after the Supreme Kai accused him of only fulfilling his "foolish pride", or when Frieza was taunting him as well for merely transforming into a "false super saiyan".

One of Vegeta's weaknesses is he is easily riled by his opponents, multiple examples have been shown in Z and this is no different. At this point the only explanation I can find for you guys shitting on the line is simply because the dub changed it.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1403
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:01 pm

He replies angrily to taunts, yes. He doesn't take up their way of explaining it and play along with their metaphors, no.

And, yes, my main reason for disliking the line is that they're making unnecessary changes again, which they were much more consistently not doing in Kai 1-98. Then in TFC, Super, and the movies they're doing it again. I have the right to not like that. Wanting a faithful dub isn't unreasonable in any way. I was excited for this dub and it has disappointed me, we could've all been happy.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:26 pm

I'd be wanting a more faithful dub too if the original script was actually good, but it's not, particularly in the ToP.

If super actually had decent writing then sure I'd be a bit miffed about the changes, but here I don't really care.

You keep saying methaphors when really it's called comebacks, Yes Vegeta generally does respond in kind to those who taunt it. Go watch Z again because I think you're misunderstanding his character.

User avatar
majinwarman
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1698
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:50 pm
Location: Freeza Planet 1

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by majinwarman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Diccolo-420 wrote:I'd be wanting a more faithful dub too if the original script was actually good, but it's not, particularly in the ToP.

If super actually had decent writing then sure I'd be a bit miffed about the changes, but here I don't really care.

You keep saying methaphors when really it's called comebacks, Yes Vegeta generally does respond in kind to those who taunt it. Go watch Z again because I think you're misunderstanding his character.
There may be some writing flaws in Super, I still like a more accurate dubbing of a series. I don't like when fans say that it's better due to bad writing. The dub isn't suppose to fix writing but accurately translate one language to another for the market its being produced for.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jean0987654321 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:44 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:2 weeks later and people still hung up on that line? Aye aye aye.
It's is what it is. The "outrage" of the line is soooooo boring. :roll: This line doesn't affect anything really. I actually thought it was funny. If ppl want to watch the sub, then there's the sub. Don't complain over such a slight change from that in the dub. A change in which is so insignificant...

User avatar
Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:17 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Amir » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:47 pm

It seems to me like people hate dub changes just because they're changes.

But the hard truth is, the original lines are not that good, so the dub actually does justice by changing them. For example, the conversatiin between Zamasu and Gowasu about good, evil and justice was infinitely better in the dub.

"I am the star of this damn show" was nothing, insignificant and minor, it really didn't matter, just a change for the sake of it. The original also wasn't that great, so I could care less even if they changed it to "I love pizza!" instead. I'm surprised people actually care about this meaningless line.

If this was a story dub change or some bad use of words instead, I would agree. For example, I thought it was a bad move to change Black's debut line.

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:33 pm

AloversGaming wrote:He's been going for a higher pitched Goku for a few years now and it doesn't sound natural at all. Strained voice that doesn't allow him to emote well. He's denied a few times that he's trying to be more like Nozawa, but it does seem like he's attempting to emulate her take on Goku.
I actually like Schemmel's Nozawa-esque take on Goku's voice when he's in his normal, happy-go-lucky mood, but I agree that it's pretty hard to believe him when he claims he's not emulating her. On the other hand, it's his angry/serious voice that I'm not quite as big on these days; it just sounds raspier to me than it used to.

Either way, I feel that Sean does a fine job as Goku -- regardless of one's personal preference, he seems to have a clear direction in mind for the character which is good. If nothing else, he's consistent with this new approach. I still think his performance as Black needs more work in that regard, though, and I kinda wish he'd just stuck with the base voice throughout the whole arc.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Diccolo-420
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Diccolo-420 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Amir wrote:It seems to me like people hate dub changes just because they're changes.

But the hard truth is, the original lines are not that good, so the dub actually does justice by changing them. For example, the conversatiin between Zamasu and Gowasu about good, evil and justice was infinitely better in the dub.

"I am the star of this damn show" was nothing, insignificant and minor, it really didn't matter, just a change for the sake of it. The original also wasn't that great, so I could care less even if they changed it to "I love pizza!" instead. I'm surprised people actually care about this meaningless line.

If this was a story dub change or some bad use of words instead, I would agree. For example, I thought it was a bad move to change Black's debut line.
This guy gets it, I agree with this post whole-heartedly.

Black's opening line in 47 did catch me off guard, but I'm assuming that's because the dub is interpreting black to be more like his manga counterpart, which would make sense. The sub's line there still is my preference, but having that in mind makes the change easier to swallow.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:28 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:I'd be wanting a more faithful dub too if the original script was actually good, but it's not, particularly in the ToP.

If super actually had decent writing then sure I'd be a bit miffed about the changes, but here I don't really care.

You keep saying methaphors when really it's called comebacks, Yes Vegeta generally does respond in kind to those who taunt it. Go watch Z again because I think you're misunderstanding his character.
There may be some writing flaws in Super, I still like a more accurate dubbing of a series. I don't like when fans say that it's better due to bad writing. The dub isn't suppose to fix writing but accurately translate one language to another for the market its being produced for.
A few examples of actually decent Woolseyisms that made for a more understandable story in an anime series than there was previously.
Yugioh: In the Duelist Kingdom arc, they adapted Pegasus' plot from the manga, where he takes over Kaiba's company to use his tech to create a hologram, or maybe it was a robot, duplicate of his late wife. This doesn't make any sense in the anime because he looks like he has similar tech already to what Kaiba Corp has. In the dub, in addition to changing his name to the more American Maximillion Pegasus rather than Pegasus J. Crawford, since the character is an American, they changed the plot to one where he's gathering all of the Millenium Items to bring his wife back from the dead, something that makes MUCH more sense in the anime.

DBZ: Though the dub was generally bad with changing plot points for no reason, Cell saying he can regenerate from a single cell of his being makes MUCH more sense than his head's core when that got blown up by Goku's Kamehameha. Evven Team Four Star made fun of that plot hole. I even noticed this plot hole as a kid when I played Budokai 1, since its dub was more close to the Japanese than the show's dub was. I knew of that scene in Z where Goku blows up Cell's top half with his Kamehameha wave & was confused when Budokai's dub said Cell regenerated from the core in his head, when it was blown off earlier. Plot hole.

Bleach: The advent of calling the Shinigami Soul Reapers rather than Death Gods. It was so ingenious that even Kubo commented that it was closer to what he meant for them to be described as than the actual translation of Shinigami. Considering they're more like the Grim Reaper, you can see why he said that.

These didn't change the story too much, though you can argue Yugioh's is much more altering the story, but to the same end as the Japanese. Now, should they have done these things? Maybe not. Are the shows any worse off for having them in their dubs? I don't think so.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Post Reply