"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Melee_Sovereign
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:37 am

Probably already been mentioned in this thread, but who else hates the way Funimation chose to pronounce Toppo's name?

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:51 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote:Probably already been mentioned in this thread, but who else hates the way Funimation chose to pronounce Toppo's name?
To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Melee_Sovereign
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:59 am

Scsigs wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:Probably already been mentioned in this thread, but who else hates the way Funimation chose to pronounce Toppo's name?
To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.
My thing is, they should consider the consistency of pronunciation, but they should also put into consideration of what simply sounds good. Toppo sounds way better than Top. They also didn't choose to drop the u in Zamasu, so we already know they're not consistent.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:45 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Melee_Sovereign wrote:Probably already been mentioned in this thread, but who else hates the way Funimation chose to pronounce Toppo's name?
To recap: several people have said that, others have brought up the fact that the name is actually supposed to BE "pot," but they pronounced it like they do in the Japanese version because that's how Japanese works, & it's, for the most part, been settled for now. You may want to review the last several pages of this thread to see where that argument lead.
My thing is, they should consider the consistency of pronunciation, but they should also put into consideration of what simply sounds good. Toppo sounds way better than Top. They also didn't choose to drop the u in Zamasu, so we already know they're not consistent.
Considering the nomenclature changes & pronunciation changes they have as a result of prior dubs, I'd say that ship has sailed. As for them being inconsistent, inconsistent with what, Toei's subs? The subs that use dub terminology for no reason when everyone knows they're not the same thing already & are extremely basic? Viz? The company that censored the original Dragon Ball manga's dialogue to hide the more risqué jokes because they thought no one could handle the fact that Dragon Ball was originally a gag manga written by a Japanese man-child? The only things FUNi are consistent with are themselves, which sometimes they're inconsistent with, but they're getting better at it. As for Zamasu & Gowasu, those games are very different that Toppo's, so I don't know if they're exactly comparable.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Daisetsu » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:21 am

"Top" is an English word and "Zamasu" and "Gowasu" are Japanese words. That's why they're pronounced differently (I assume on Funi's part), just like how we have "Trunks" instead of "Torankusu." I'm honestly not sure why this an even an argument in the first place.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 254
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Yedis » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:59 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote:Probably already been mentioned in this thread, but who else hates the way Funimation chose to pronounce Toppo's name?
Yeah they should have just kept it at Toppo.

Toppo is a play on the Japanese pronunciation of Pot. Its not something that needs to be "localized".

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1187
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Shaddy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:49 pm

Okay everyone let's go watch the Mirai Torankusu arc, I can't wait for the new film Doragon Boru Supa: Burori
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
NintendoBlaze53
Regular
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 pm

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... n-1-bluray

Australia is going to be getting Dragon Ball Super in collections in December just in time for Christmas. Collection 1 is episodes 1-52 available for half the price of if you would have bought the 4 parts.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

User avatar
The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:38 pm

"I DO NOT DO IT WILLY NILLY"

Man that delivery made me laugh

Sean screaming as Goku was getting squeezed made me feel that pain.

"I am Top The Bold"

I mean......could've been worse. Still gonna call him Toppo.
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Kataphrut
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1492
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:39 am

Oof. That "good sirs" gimmick for Macarita doesn't work. I get there's not a lot you can do with a character whose only trait is "has very Japanese speech quirk" but in the original it was just adding rhetorical questions to every sentence. It would have been awkward to make that work in English, but this doesn't make it any less awkward.

Credit for not going the with the obvious Harley Quinn voice though. Again, she's too minor a character to warrant the extra attention. Why is Universe 11's god-squad the blandest outside the exempt universes?

User avatar
nato25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1325
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by nato25 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 am

yeah the forced noble sirs at the end of her speech was super awkward, should have just taken it out.

I love the zen'oh's and their reactions, I think I acted the same way the first time I saw Goku laying the smack down on Toppo.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:08 am

Lol forgot about Scooby Beerus... anyway Top sounds great! I like how they pronounce Jiren. Of course Gohan thinks Top sounds cool. :lol:

Can't wait until we get to #17's episodes!
nato25 wrote:yeah the forced noble sirs at the end of her speech was super awkward, should have just taken it out.

I love the zen'oh's and their reactions, I think I acted the same way the first time I saw Goku laying the smack down on Toppo.
I love whenever dub Zen-Oh says Oki Doki!

User avatar
nato25
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1325
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by nato25 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:40 am

Yeah i thought all those beerus drawings got corrected on the blurays but i suppose not based on this episode. Jiren is pronounced great and yes Top sounds good.

I'm also looking forward to 17. Happy to reach these episodes in the dub as I'm very hazy on them. I wonder how the dub will handle super creepy roshi.

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11377
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:54 pm

Shaddy wrote:Okay everyone let's go watch the Mirai Torankusu arc, I can't wait for the new film Doragon Boru Supa: Burori
Drop the snark. There are more polite ways to provide your stance and encourage discussion on the issue.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1651
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Daisetsu wrote:"Top" is an English word and "Zamasu" and "Gowasu" are Japanese words. That's why they're pronounced differently (I assume on Funi's part), just like how we have "Trunks" instead of "Torankusu." I'm honestly not sure why this an even an argument in the first place.
There's a podcast episode about this. You're not exactly correct. I don't read/write/speak Japanese, but I'll do my best to summarize.

Toppo's name is an anagram of "potto", the Japanese pronounciarion of the English "pot". They switch the "to" and the "po" sounds/symbols. If you just did this with the English "pot", you get "Tpo". Overall it's not a horrible way of doing it, but it's not exactly the same as "Torankusu".

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks for summarizing the "Toppo/Top" translation from the podcast, batistabus. It also helps that Simmons himself voiced his two cents to agree with Herms on the matter.

On October 5th, Clifford Chapin announced his return to recording Cabba's lines for this arc. Going by the gif, the Funimation dub's probably around Episode 92 ("Emergency! We Don’t Have All 10 Members!").

User avatar
Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: Planet Sadla

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Alright guys, so with Episode 83 coming out this week, anyone else hope Funimation will finally start calling Vegeta's daughter Bra, and finally end the days of "Bulla"? I don't see any problem with them doing it at this point since they're going to call a character Top, and have it perfectly match the lip flaps, and use the word "bitch" every 5 or so episodes. At this point, there's just absolutely no excuse for them not to call her Bra. They can say whatever the fuck they want now (Excuse my language), they're shortening names but still having them perfectly match the lip flaps. It's time to drop "Bulla", guys, there's no point in calling her that anymore. Call her Bra, simple as that. Sorry I kinda went on a rant there guys, I just had to get this off my chest. And also start a discussion on this topic. With that said, give me you guys' thoughts on this!
Caulifla best girl! :)

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jean0987654321 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Alright guys, so with Episode 83 coming out this week, anyone else hope Funimation will finally start calling Vegeta's daughter Bra, and finally end the days of "Bulla"? I don't see any problem with them doing it at this point since they're going to call a character Top, and have it perfectly match the lip flaps, and use the word "bitch" every 5 or so episodes. At this point, there's just absolutely no excuse for them not to call her Bra. They can say whatever the fuck they want now (Excuse my language), they're shortening names but still having them perfectly match the lip flaps. It's time to drop "Bulla", guys, there's no point in calling her that anymore. Call her Bra, simple as that. Sorry I kinda went on a rant there guys, I just had to get this off my chest. And also start a discussion on this topic. With that said, give me you guys' thoughts on this!

Yeah...that ain't happening, bro.. :D

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:40 pm
Location: Rotterdam

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by MrTennek » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:44 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Alright guys, so with Episode 83 coming out this week, anyone else hope Funimation will finally start calling Vegeta's daughter Bra, and finally end the days of "Bulla"? I don't see any problem with them doing it at this point since they're going to call a character Top, and have it perfectly match the lip flaps, and use the word "bitch" every 5 or so episodes. At this point, there's just absolutely no excuse for them not to call her Bra. They can say whatever the fuck they want now (Excuse my language), they're shortening names but still having them perfectly match the lip flaps. It's time to drop "Bulla", guys, there's no point in calling her that anymore. Call her Bra, simple as that. Sorry I kinda went on a rant there guys, I just had to get this off my chest. And also start a discussion on this topic. With that said, give me you guys' thoughts on this!
I think I honestly don't care. :yawn:

User avatar
TheOne
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheOne » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 am

WittyUsername wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:it’s nice to see that FUNimation’s pool of actors isn’t just all white people.
What does race have to do with any of this?
I wasn’t trying to make a big deal out of anything. It was an offhand remark is all. I was simply pointing it out because FUNimation hasn’t had the best track record when it comes to depicting black people, considering how they handled Killa. There’s no need to get worked up over it.

Also, I should just point out that I’m not the first one here to point out that Vermound is voiced by a black guy, so why are you going after me?
You are right. I distinctly remember in the Buu arc they had that Killa guy sound like someone who couldn’t speak properly. When I was a kid I didn’t see a difference, but I could tell my dad noticed. Now, I have no idea how he was portrayed in the Original Japanese dub, but it doesn’t really make a difference since Asian culture seems to have different perspectives of black people than most of us are use to.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Post Reply