So how does the Future Trunks arc stand in comparison to every other arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: So how does the Future Trunks arc stand in comparison to every other arc?

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:57 pm

The arc technically isn't over yet, but as of now, it's the greatest arc in all of Dragon Ball. I'm dead serious. Ironically, the final battle solidified for it. It was nonsense, but it was the most spectacular nonsense I've ever witnessed. It was kinda like watching Pacific Rim. Does it make sense? Absolutely not. But was it entertaining? Unbelievably so.

Here's my current ranking of arcs from best to worst:

- Future Trunks
- Saiyan
- Freeza
- King Piccolo
- Majin Boo
- Champa/Universe 6
- Namek
- Red Ribbon Army
- 22nd Budokai Tenkaichi
- Battle Of Gods
- Hunt For The Dragon Balls
- Cell
- Android/Artificial Human
- Shadow Dragon
- Baby
- Black Star Dragon Ball
- Resurrection F
- Monaka
- Garlic Jr
- Super 17

This could changed with how the next episode is handled, but that's my current stance on it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:07 pm

It's better than the Cell arc and all of GT for me.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:01 pm

Not a step on anything from the manga. The most consistent arc in Super, but still mediocre storyline despite a fun villain, some visual highlights, and an engaging mystery in the first half. I think my favorite episode was #64, with Trunks and Mai's Mafuba.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:02 pm

It's an average arc in an average series with some awesome moments. In fact the entire original series( Z included) was also average with some cool moments nothing more. The arc isn't over so my rankings could change but here's my current rankings:-

Above average

- Red Ribbon - 7/10
- Saiyan - 7/10
- 23rd Budoukai - 7/10

Average

- 22nd Budoukai - 6.5/10
- Freeza - 6.5/10
- Mirai Trunks - 6/10
- 21st Budoukai - 6/10
- Piccolo Daimaou - 5.5/10
- Majin Boo - 5.5/10
- Hunt for DBs - 5.5/10
- Baby - 5/10
- Champa - 5/10

Below average

- Cell - 4/10
- Evil Dragons - 4/10
- Kami to Kami - 4/10
- Dark DBs - 3/10

Terrible

- Fukkatsu no F - 2/10
- Super No. 17 - 2/10

If the final episode is good it might replace Freeza as my #5. It is above all of GT, Cell, Boo, Daimaou, 21st TB and Hunt for DBs arcs from the original series. So, yeah I'm pretty satisfied can't expect anything more from Dragon Ball.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:12 pm

Best arc in Super and better than each arc in GT.

Still Z arcs > this one... And latest episode somehow destroyed it for me

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Never realized Cell had become so negatively received among DB fans.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:23 pm

For me it was absolutely better than any arc in the original Dragon Ball, GT and any previous arc in Super so far.

Compared to the four main arcs in Dragon Ball Z however, I think it's better than the Saiyan arc and I think it's worse than the Android arc. Do I prefer it to the Namek and Buu arcs.....in some parts yes and some parts no, overall....I'm not sure, I'd need to re-watch the series because at the moment I could see my opinion on the order of the Namek, Buu and Black arcs changing by the week.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:25 pm

It's probably the best arc of Super.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:28 pm

It's better than everything in GT, doesn't compare to Z though, there were too many, asspulls, gags, inconsistencies
and barely any creativity. Hopefully next arc Toriyama will actually put some work in his outlines and Toei will actually use some creative thinking instead of reading fan-fic on the Internet. I don't like being negative, but this arc was kinda ruined for me from episode 61 onward, really a little before that to be honest. However if they make the next arc creative and while executing it properly, with good writing, all will be forgiven.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:29 pm

Last place, with Resurrection of F( Super) just above it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:44 pm

This is my Top 6 of all Dragon Ball arcs:

1 - Androids Arc (From Trunks' first appearance to Cell's death both in the future and in the present)
2 - Namek Arc
3 - Future Trunks Arc
4 - Saiyan Arc
5 - Majin Buu Arc
6 - King Piccolo Arc (From Krillin's death to end of DB)

I think this arc was EXCELLENT. Just having one my favorite characters ever, Future Trunks, back, was enough to make this arc great but throwing a Evil Goku, a villain with more explained motivations, a new super cool transformation for Trunks, angriest Goku since Namek, potara fusion of two incredible villains, motherfucking Super Saiyan Blue Vegetto, Trunks finally killing a main villain (and also first villain to die to someone else than Goku since Cell) and there's much more from this arc, so much that this arc has bounced up on the 3rd position of my favorite arcs. I would say it's on par with Saiyan arc on my list but the hype makes me put it number 3, for now. And damn it, every single episode of this arc was pure greatness and kept me eagerly waiting for more. Also, for once in Dragon Ball Super the art was very consistent and this arc produced the best animation of all Super and some pieces of animation that can easily be in my Top 5 of Dragon Ball animations.
Lastly, Super is getting better and better. If next arc's animation and art get even more solid and if we get more awesome arc like this one, than this serie will seriously rival DBZ.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:51 pm

First of all, I think it's too soon to really compare this arc to the other ones. Not because it's not over yet, but because it's too fresh in our minds. I think everyone here will have a better idea of where they rank it after the hype is gone and they rewatch every episode in the future.

Secondly, I don't see how anyone can compare this arc to anything in DBZ. Not because the story and villains are far worse, but because it simply isn't a fleshed out saga. It feels like a rushed product with too many inconsistencies, too many unexplained asspulls, too many convenient moments, a lot of time traveling repetition that made it dull for a while, and little to no progress in regards to the villains (they never actually do much on-screen; they just preach about what they've already done and how awesome they are).

I will say that this arc had the potential to be the very best one in the entire franchise, EASILY, but the product that we received--the execution--restricted it from being so.

The Buu saga is the opposite. It has a worse villain and so many terrible concepts that make me cringe, but it actually feels complete. Better battles and better animation (sadly) too. Very fun.

I'd rank it above GT, all the other Super arcs, and a few DB ones for now.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:00 pm

It's better than GT and the rest of Super but the writers doing whatever they want for the fun of it and the severe lack of danger puts it below the manga's 10 arcs.

I still think Zamasu is one of the franchise's best villains but they didn't do much with him which is the complete opposite of the original's main villains.
FTW395 wrote:Why are people here not a big fan of the Buu arc? In my opinion it's best arc in all of Dragonball. It brought so many new things to the table.
It's my favorite as well :mrgreen: and I can't imagine the franchise without it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:10 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:First of all, I think it's too soon to really compare this arc to the other ones. Not because it's not over yet, but because it's too fresh in our minds. I think everyone here will have a better idea of where they rank it after the hype is gone and they rewatch every episode in the future.

Secondly, I don't see how anyone can compare this arc to anything in DBZ. Not because the story and villains are far worse, but because it simply isn't a fleshed out saga. It feels like a rushed product with too many inconsistencies, too many unexplained asspulls, too many convenient moments, a lot of time traveling repetition that made it dull for a while, and little to no progress in regards to the villains (they never actually do much on-screen; they just preach about what they've already done and how awesome they are).

I will say that this arc had the potential to be the very best one in the entire franchise, EASILY, but the product that we received--the execution--restricted it from being so.

The Buu saga is the opposite. It has a worse villain and so many terrible concepts that make me cringe, but it actually feels complete. Better battles and better animation (sadly) too. Very fun.

I'd rank it above GT, all the other Super arcs, and a few DB ones for now.
Fantard mode

You can call this arc terrible, call Zamasu bland and complain about animation BUT NOBODY MESSES WITH MY BELOVED DRAGON BALL
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:20 pm

Second best saga of all time for me. There is nothing else to add for me.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Cetra wrote:Second best saga of all time for me. There is nothing else to add for me.
What's the best, out of curiosity?

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:44 pm

Probably my second favorite arc of the Dragon Ball series. I'm still hyped about yesterday though and in the future it may change :lol:
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

Will
Beyond Newbie

Post by Will » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Best arc of Super.

Better than all the arc in Gt for me.

I don't know where I will put it in comparison to Z or orginal Dragon Ball.

KidGokuDB

Post by KidGokuDB » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:36 pm

I don't think it's better than anything in the original Dragon Ball. Not one single arc.

But the original is the only DB series that I enjoy for it's entire run.

This arc was 'shut your brain off' awful at times. Nothing from the original Dragon Ball ever made me have such a thought. I'd have to get back to you on comparing it with DBZ and DBGT arcs though. I don't believe it is the worse of the worse. But I wouldn't rank it so high. I might agree with it being Super's best so far.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:49 pm

At only 20 episodes, its one of the shortest "main" arcs of the franchise. That's why its hard for me to place it ahead of any of DBZ's 4 main sagas.

I do really like it though, better than GT and the Red Ribbon army saga of Dragonball. Hesitant to place it ahead of anything else though. (Besides Garlic Jr)