Is this arc really ruined?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Is this arc really ruined?

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:13 pm

What a day, i suddenly open my laptop, sit down to chill for some time and i find myself overwhelmed with a lot of negativity.
I'm not talking about criticism, which is something that i like to see/read, but pure negativity, to the extreme that either this arc is ruined or it's the worse arc we ever had.
And why should i care?, i have My reasons to like it or think that something is bad or good, there's not sthing such as "this is bad and it's a fact", as a fact must be supported by evidence, and in anyone's review, such evidence is supported by their point of view.
But sometimes i fear that i may be actually letting myself be blinded by fanboyism, without trying to be critical and kissing the show's ass.

So this is why i ask "is this arc ruined?", "is it the worst arc?" and if so, please explin why.

Maybe i should ask this in the episode's topic, but idk, there are so many posts with people just saying how do they like or dislike it that it doesn't really help me with this little meaningless struggle :lol:
Last edited by dbs fanboy on Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Bullza
Banned

Re: Is this arc really ruin it?

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:16 pm

No of course not, people just had the common knee jerk reaction. They'll calm down soon enough.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Is this arc really ruined?

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Most certainly not. This arc has a lot to answer for, sure, but "ruined" or "Worst in the franchise" feels like an exaggeration.

I'd say its more "Doesn't meet expectations". It didn't meet mine. But I still love it.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Of course the arc is not ruined, but its ending suffers from the most blatant inconsistencies that even some great -but too short- fight scenes could not save, these last episodes will probably cost the arc minus 1 point in the ratings, at least for mine lol

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Nope. Zenchan was in it.
ドラゴンボール超と言うアニメを見ています。あの、日本語が分かりますか?話しましょう!
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:27 pm

The arc was ruined for me very early on, with Zamasu's contradictory (not in a well written way either) character, and the uselessness and terrible showings of the humans (Mai trying to snipe and then missing somehow, the kids are irritating). Also doesn't help that Goku was dumbed down even more and that Vegeta was just spouting Saiyan pride almost all the time. Trunks was also a disappointment, the "filler" episodes were just a chore to watch, not to mention his dialog almost always being him being angry or spouting some "this is the power of mortals" nonsense. Power scaling was horrible as well.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:47 pm

I, for one, am a big fan of this arc. I've liked every single episode (except 64) and enjoyed myself watching this arc. The problem most people have that supposedly "ruined" this arc is the ending of episode 66. Trunks "killing" Zamasu made thematic sense. It was the best choice. The problem is that it was way, way too rushed. That being said, I find it hard to believe that it legitimitely ruined so many people's enjoyment of this arc. The insane overreaction is probably due to the insane amount of retcons that were put in the episode. If these events were to take place in 2 or 3 episodes instead of 1, people wouldn't complain nearly as much.

On a side note, I want to tell all the people who feel bad for enjoying this arc and/or ending to stop feeling bad. Remember, you are entitled to your opinion and nobody can take away your enjoyment of something. When people write things like "this is objectively bad and you like it, therefore your taste is shit and mine is good," ignore them. Don't let people take away your enjoyment of something because they're mad or dissappointed about certain things.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

phattangent
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by phattangent » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:53 pm

I wonder if those who thought episode 66 ruined the arc were already on the tipping point because of other things?
ドラゴンボール超と言うアニメを見ています。あの、日本語が分かりますか?話しましょう!
ザマスに就いて、全王は合体ザマスより大なりです!

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:00 pm

I have to say while it's not ruined I'm a bit disappointed in the ending being so rushed. I have a serious question here for someone who may know....

How is the length of an arc decided? What decides that in DBS the Future Trunks Arc is X number of episodes while a show like Hunter X Hunter has the Chimera Ant arc which is I believe 60 some episodes? I feel like the battle should have been drawn out not only between Black and Goku but also Merged Zamasu vs Vegito.

I'd also have liked if Future Trunks didn't seem like God the way he learns techniques in 3 seconds and makes Genki-Dama swords. I'd have prefered Zamasu to be much weaker from a much more elongated battle with Vegito if Trunks was going to slice him in half.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

MathSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by MathSSJ » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Nope, but it's definitely a sign that some things need to change.

Goku needs to be written more carefully. Tired of seeing him being the butt of all jokes and the focus of all the PIS. U6 arc Goku was at a nice spot, more of that please.

The writers either need to get something to do with Vegeta or retire the fuck out of that character. He is a good guy now, I get it, just do something that's interesting with him that's not ripping off EoZ Goku. Enough with the pandering. He had a good moment in the BoG movie that served as a nice little epilogue for his Boo arc development, but other then that, he has no real reason to be there anymore. In fact, if there is one thing that's holding the series back, especially Goku's character, it's Vegeta.

A little more consistence in the plot would be nice, but as long as Goku is Goku, I can roll with nonsense.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:08 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:Of course the arc is not ruined, but its ending suffers from the most blatant inconsistencies that even some great -but too short- fight scenes could not save, these last episodes will probably cost the arc minus 1 point in the ratings, at least for mine lol
Lol i wanted to give it a 10, but this episode plus others inconsistences make it impossible.

dbgtFO wrote:

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:11 pm

I really appreciate your comments, i was really confused about wht to feel right now with all th

dbgtFO wrote:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:11 pm

Only thing that really disappointed me was Gokû Black turning out to be Zamasu. I hoped so hard that Gokû Black would be a Gokû whose mind was warped by Zamasu, and that they'd free him from Zamasu's control by the end and he'd heroic sacrifice himself to destroy Zamasu or something.

Other than that, I had a blast this arc. Lots of fun. I can't say a full summary until the arc officially ends, but I really did enjoy it, speculation and all.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is this arc really ruin it?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Bullza wrote:No of course not, people just had the common knee jerk reaction. They'll calm down soon enough.
Absolutely, once next week rolls around we'll get a bunch of Zen-oh complaints! :P

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:21 pm

I was bored and unimpressed with a lot of it when I rewatched a lot of stuff last week. I'd personally say it was ruined early on because of the many problems I had with it.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:23 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:I have to say while it's not ruined I'm a bit disappointed in the ending being so rushed. I have a serious question here for someone who may know....

How is the length of an arc decided? What decides that in DBS the Future Trunks Arc is X number of episodes while a show like Hunter X Hunter has the Chimera Ant arc which is I believe 60 some episodes? I feel like the battle should have been drawn out not only between Black and Goku but also Merged Zamasu vs Vegito.

I'd also have liked if Future Trunks didn't seem like God the way he learns techniques in 3 seconds and makes Genki-Dama swords. I'd have prefered Zamasu to be much weaker from a much more elongated battle with Vegito if Trunks was going to slice him in half.
I don't know for sure what decides how long an arc would be. But I feel like that, now that there isn't a manga to follow they don't have anything to stretch out for time or have to highlight a particular moment from the pages of a manga. Now they can just go from moment to moment with nothing to stop them except for maybe the production schedule being too tight to really do anything spectacular for a long period of time.

Of course that's all just guess work on my part.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Not really ruined, but some parts did hurt the arc though.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:27 pm

No, because while we hate what the writers did to Trunks/Zamasu, we LOVED Goku Black!!

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:42 pm

Not really it went from an 8 to a 6, I will see if the final episode bumps it up a few more points or down.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:26 pm

No..many are complaining because of vegetto without him there would be no hate about episode 66