Why I LOVED DBS Episode 67

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why I LOVED DBS Episode 67

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:15 pm

HeroR wrote:I honestly don't like how people thing mature automatically means dark. Something can be mature and thoughtful without being dark or gloomy. Not all true art is angst.
But it's not like this ending is all that gloomy. And that isn't what make it unexpectedly poignant or mature. It's Trunks and Mai remaining hopeful about the future they have left, even in the face of this failure, that gets me choked up. And the way so much is implied wordlessly in its final moments, with Gohan -- with shots of Goku, Vegeta, Bulma -- all these people Trunks knows who should be dead, but here they are, alive and well.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:37 pm

Best moment of the episode to me was Vegeta greeting farewell to FT by attacking him lol

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:01 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
HeroR wrote: I honestly don't like how people think mature automatically means dark. Something can be mature and thoughtful without being dark or gloomy. Not all true art is angst.
This speaks to me..
Can I keep this in my signature?
It would be my honor :)
Cipher wrote:
HeroR wrote:I honestly don't like how people think mature automatically means dark. Something can be mature and thoughtful without being dark or gloomy. Not all true art is angst.
But it's not like this ending is all that gloomy. And that isn't what make it unexpectedly poignant or mature. It's Trunks and Mai remaining hopeful about the future they have left, even in the face of this failure, that gets me choked up. And the way so much is implied wordlessly in its final moments, with Gohan -- with shots of Goku, Vegeta, Bulma -- all these people Trunks knows who should be dead, but here they are, alive and well.
Oh, I know that. I just didn't like how some poster called this the best and most mature episode because it was dark. It was the best and very mature ending for the reasons you named. It also give a harsh, but true message. Some times, despite all your best efforts and hope, you can still end up failing and achieve nothing. It's what you do with that failure that defines you.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:15 pm

I loved EVERYTHING about this episode except for the fact that there are 2 Omni-King's now. That makes no sense but whatever.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:16 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:I loved EVERYTHING about this episode except for the fact that there are 2 Omni-King's now. That makes no sense but whatever.
Why?

He's the King of All.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:17 pm

zamasu121 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
zamasu121 wrote:member when people said super is too childish?
It's always too childish except for ep 67
people kept complaining about super being too childish, but now that they got a more realistic and sad ending they complain because its not a fairy tale ending :roll:
Hey I was caught off guard, I felt so concerned about the future humans that it backfired :(
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:18 pm

I loved this ending as well. At first I was kind of shocked with how abrupt everything was. When Herm's live tweeted that Zeno destroyed the unverse right after the gang went to the future my first thought was "How did they fit every survivor in the time machine?". I was really surprised Super had the balls to end the arc off like this.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:21 pm

WOW! I honestly thought that I was one of the only people that loved this episode. I was expecting a lot of hate towards my post, but I'm so glad that I'm in good company. :) Thank you all for feeling like you can share your feelings here.

I'll just say it again. I loved this episode:

1) The Spirit Bomb cop-out didn't kill the villain.
2) They treated Zamasu and immortality as though it truly is unbeatable.
3) Future Trunks did get the kill and redeemed his world the best he could, but it wasn't enough as logically Future Zamasu's death shouldn't stop immortality.
4) The Omni-King button didn't just fix everything -- it permanently destroyed a multiverse full of people in order to defeat Zamasu. Let me say that again, a multiverse of people will be permanently dead. That to me almost makes up for all the get-out-of-death free cards people have gotten.
5) Goku's choice to bring the Future Omni-King to meet Present Omni-King was fucking brilliant. He legitimately could have just succeeded in protecting his timeline from random destruction at any point, and he built a greater trust with Zen-chan.
6) Allowing Trunks to find a new timeline with everyone, counterparts of himself, and all Zamasus are gone for good.
7) Trunks breaking down when he sees Gohan shows he only can do so much. Mai breaking down when everyone died shows how much they cared for their world. Gohan and Vegeta showed that they support him, no matter what. That is so heart-warming.

Overall, 15 out of 10. Now, characters will take immortality MUCH more seriously. Back in DBZ it was a garden-variety idea to want immortality. One out of seven timelines is devoid of all life. It is just empty. This left a huge scar on the characters, and they will think twice about calling on the power of the Omni-King again. He can't just solve their problems, there are consequences.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm

nite_jay wrote:I loved this ending as well. At first I was kind of shocked with how abrupt everything was. When Herm's live tweeted that Zeno destroyed the unverse right after the gang went to the future my first thought was "How did they fit every survivor in the time machine?". I was really surprised Super had the balls to end the arc off like this.
Haha reading through his tweets on this episode was entertaining in itself!

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:I loved EVERYTHING about this episode except for the fact that there are 2 Omni-King's now. That makes no sense but whatever.
Why?

He's the King of All.
That's EXACTLY the reason why.!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:56 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Why?

He's the King of All.
No, I mean, he's the King. As in, everything is his to rule over. He's not the God of All, he presumably didn't create time.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:02 pm

Doctor. wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Why?

He's the King of All.
No, I mean, he's the King. As in, everything is his to rule over. He's not the God of All, he presumably didn't create time.
Very good point actually. They've dropped so much lore about the DB universe wonder if we'll ever find out who created it. They could pull a Supernatural and have the God of this world appear out of nowhere after seemingly long time of absence could be a great final arc for DB.

zamasu121
Beyond Newbie

Post by zamasu121 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 pm

i hope toriyama will keep writing this kind of endings :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:40 pm

I...don't see how this episode was mature, per say, as some people are putting it. Maybe something is going over my head.

I did find it funny. The writers completely subverted expectations and literally blew up Trunks' entire universe after we had an episode that made it seem like peace was finally secured. That's hilarious. Like, American cartoon funny. I will give props to that. It's fucked up. This arc could be beautifully parodied by TFS.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:48 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I...don't see how this episode was mature, per say, as some people are putting it. Maybe something is going over my head.
It's because you completely and utterly hate anything that comes from Super, but it's only right to have different opinions.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:52 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I...don't see how this episode was mature, per say, as some people are putting it. Maybe something is going over my head.

I did find it funny. The writers completely subverted expectations and literally blew up Trunks' entire universe after we had an episode that made it seem like peace was finally secured. That's hilarious. Like, American cartoon funny. I will give props to that. It's fucked up. This arc could be beautifully parodied by TFS.
When they say mature I don't think they mean it in an edgy way. Moreso Trunks and Mai accepting their failure and not letting it stop them from looking towards the future with "hope".

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:02 pm

nite_jay wrote:

When they say mature I don't think they mean it in an edgy way. Moreso Trunks and Mai accepting their failure and not letting it stop them from looking towards the future with "hope".
Personally, I think they're in denial. Reality will hit when they realize this new timeline is not their own, especially after seeing their doubles. I expect hara kiri.
Black_Liger wrote:
It's because you completely and utterly hate anything that comes from Super
This is true.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:19 pm

Episode 67, as far as storytelling perspective goes, is the magnum opus of the Dragon Ball anime franchise.

It was unexpectedly tragic and downright heartbreaking but also very heartwarming. With the events of the previous episode you would have thought Dragon Ball would follow down the same path is has always done with the heroes coming out on top and everything being restored, but... no. All of the Earthlings in Future Trunks world die apart from him and Mai and ultimately his entire timeline is wiped out. Everything about humanity banding together and using their hope and belief as strength to live another day was ultimately not enough. But, you know, a lot of time life, that just the case. Sometime all that give isn't enough.

Mai's reaction to situation in particular was downright heartbreaking. You could really tell that she carried an immense burden to protect what was left of Earth and to see all the effort to be essentially worth nothing would send any person into downward spiral of emotions. Gowasu also blaming himself for all that happened was really sad, and it seems as though that guy has been hit with a serious case of survivors guilt. But the moment in particular that hit me like a dagger in the heart was when Gohan rushed to say goodbye to Future Trunks and wished while Future Trunks lamented the fact he could protect his world while thinking of Future Gohan. That moment just... killed me.

No one really won in the end of this arc. Zamasu is dead but the damage he's done couldn't be fixed and every human, except Mai and Future Trunks from Future Trunks' world is dead. The only real solace is that Future Trunks and Mai will never have to deal with this kind of shit again. Future Trunks' story began with tragedy and ended ultimately in tragedy. Any hope or peace that Future Trunks has in his world doesn't last for long, and in the end, he loses everything has to start a new life in a completely new timeline. This ending was so heavy handed for Dragon Ball, and this all felt so un-Dragon Ball, and for Toriyama to go down this route I have to give nothing but major prop for him doing so. I don't think we will ever see an ending to an arc as unique as this ever again.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:27 pm

Woah, I don't think it's a magnum opus. But it's one of those unexpectedly bittersweet and real moments the series throws at you every once in a while. Really elevates the arc.

Also, real talk, TV episodes that have made me genuinely cry in recent history:

-The final two episodes of Mad Men
-Dragon Ball Super episode 67 somehow

Also, this was definitely the kind of Toriyama move I'd been missing. Genuinely unexpected and subversive in a way that benefits the story.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:33 pm

Cipher wrote:Woah, I don't think it's a magnum opus. But it's one of those unexpectedly bittersweet and real moments the series throws at you every once in a while. Really elevates the arc.

Also, real talk, TV episodes that have made me genuinely cry in recent history:

-The final two episodes of Mad Men
-Dragon Ball Super episode 67 somehow
Mad Men? Really? I mean, it's a great show, but it's never gotten me close to shedding tears even in its final episodes. And yeah, I consider that episode a magnum opus purely because no other episode of the Dragon Ball anime franchise has gripped me and made me feel as emotional watching it as that episode did. I legit had tears rolling down my eyes when episode ended. It was just devastating.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.