Has everybody noticed? Future Trunks arc had lots of firsts

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Has everybody noticed? Future Trunks arc had lots of firsts

Post by Faisal Shourov » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Ep 67 brought many first things in Dragon Ball

1) For the first time ever, the main villain is not defeated by a saiyan or Z-warrior

2) The Z-warriors lost and failed completely in this arc. All their fighting was totally futile.This is also the first arc where the ending is purely tragic.

3) This one is kinda tricky, but Zamasu did technically win and his zero mortal plan succeeded. All past villains in DB either died as loser or converted into good guy.

4) Most importantly, for the first time in Dragon Ball everybody who died in this arc will remain dead for good. The infamous plot device (shenron granting wish and revive) won't work. Trunks and co accepted their fate and will live with the consequence. This is the only arc in DB where death has any meaning or value.

Any more points?
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

precita
Banned

Re: Has everybody noticed? Future Trunks arc had lots of firsts

Post by precita » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Should also be mentioned how prominent Bulma was in this arc.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:26 pm

They can always use the Super Dragon Balls to bring everyone back.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:53 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:They can always use the Super Dragon Balls to bring everyone back.
Nope, it will repeat the events as Vegeta said. Any attempt to restore the timeline will create another time ring
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:13 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:For the first time ever, the main villain is not defeated by a saiyan or Z-warrior
General Blue
Commander Red
Piccolo Jr.
Dr. Gero
Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Fat Boo
Faisal Shourov wrote:The Z-warriors lost and failed completely in this arc. All their fighting was totally futile.This is also the first arc where the ending is purely tragic.
Saiyan Arc
Faisal Shourov wrote:This one is kinda tricky, but Zamasu did technically win and his zero mortal plan succeeded. All past villains in DB either died as loser or converted into good guy.
Cell reached his perfect form, and was stopped afterwards. Similar to Zamasu's situation.
Faisal Shourov wrote:Most importantly, for the first time in Dragon Ball everybody who died in this arc will remain dead for good. The infamous plot device (shenron granting wish and revive) won't work. Trunks and co accepted their fate and will live with the consequence. This is the only arc in DB where death has any meaning or value.
At the end of the Android Arc, no one in Trunks' future was brought back to life, the only one left he had to care about was Bulma. This time, the only one left that he cares about is Mai, but they still get to live in a world with identical versions of everyone they had protected. It's only a slight difference, not signifigant enough to call it a "first.

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but this arc wasn't anything special. Even if you like it, it just factually isn't all that unique. There's some cool lore-building, I guess.
Retired.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:09 pm

1: I'm pretty sure the Saiyan battle was actually won, just with a lot of casualties, but there was still a chance to bring everyone back.

2: Cell's perfect form? yeah, You could say that, but after that, he just wanted to show off, and was put to shame by a kid, meanwhile, you literally had to destroy and entire multiverse with the strongest known being to defeat Zamasu, similar situations, but one is clearly superior.

3: It is significant, atleast they were left with an afterlife and we thought Trunks' timeline would be safe, here we know it's completely destroyed along with it's afterlife with no way to bring it back, in the end even if they go to another timeline, all the people they fought with will be death and stay dead forever, no, not that, they are completely erased from existence.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:10 pm

Black_Liger wrote:...they are completely erased from existence.
Sort of, I guess. But this new timeline only deviated maybe a year ago, so it's pretty much the same.
Retired.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:47 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:They can always use the Super Dragon Balls to bring everyone back.
Nope, it will repeat the events as Vegeta said. Any attempt to restore the timeline will create another time ring
"Super Shenron, I wish for everyone to be brought back without creating another time ring."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:48 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
"Super Shenron, I wish for everyone to be brought back without creating another time ring."
Super Shenlong doesn't have to change time to put everything back to normal, no time ring would be necessary.
Retired.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:59 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Black_Liger wrote:...they are completely erased from existence.
Sort of, I guess. But this new timeline only deviated maybe a year ago, so it's pretty much the same.
The same but substantially weirder, since they'll be their own doppelgängers in it. It's a constant reminder that, though they've created one outcome where everyone they know survives, there are still versions of them they originally knew who didn't. Just like the Gohan of the present having a happy life doesn't change the fact the version Trunks knew is dead; it's definitely worth something, but it doesn't erase the previous loss.

I think it's a bit different from the straight-forward victory Trunks obtains against the androids and Cell in his timeline after returning from the past.

As for Zamasu achieving his plans, I mean, yeah, but only for a moment before being defeated by the delicious irony of having the universe he envisioned -- and has literally become -- judged irritating and eliminated by a capricious god who outranks him.

The fact that that world is going to live on via a splinter timeline is also something a refudiation of his plans. His mortal-less world doesn't exist.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:52 am

Cipher wrote:The fact that that world is going to live on via a splinter timeline is also something a refudiation of his plans. His mortal-less world doesn't exist.
Actually, it does, That timeline is empty now, no mortals, and it was erased by a god, so, I bet that if Zamasu could say anything now, he would be happy as hell, and the vast colorful emptiness... It might just be the true beauty of the universe he seeked.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:58 am

Black_Liger wrote:Actually, it does, That timeline is empty now, no mortals, and it was erased by a god, so, I bet that if Zamasu could say anything now, he would be happy as hell, and the vast colorful emptiness... It might just be the true beauty of the universe he seeked.
Nah; he says he wanted peace, but his real goal was to have an entire multiverse the way Zamasu wanted it with Zamasu as its savior and god. He's an egotist.

He became the world he wanted for about a minute before an even higher god deemed it unacceptable and treated it exactly the way he treated humans. And they did it for absolutely no ideals. Zenou didn't even care; Goku pointed out that Zamasu had made the world this way, and Zenou took care of a world he found irritating. It was an utter rejection.

Of course the heroes didn't win either. No one wanted the destruction of the universe.
Last edited by Cipher on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:25 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Super Shenlong doesn't have to change time to put everything back to normal, no time ring would be necessary.
Super Shenron can't change back past, you can't change past in Dragon Ball. If Shenron tries to do anything it will create timering. Remember Trunks tried to put everything into normal and it just created another timeline.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:23 am

"Super Shenron, I wish you to restore the Future Trunks multiverse the way it was before Gowasu was killed and WITHOUT Zamasu and Mai / Future Trunks ( otherwise they still would have doppelgangers lol ) . "

I don't see why it would create any new time ring formulated this way. It doesn't change the past. It just copy paste the past ( minus Zamasu ) into the present.

Even better : the same wish but "before Goku died from an heart attack and WITHOUT Dr Gero AND Zamasu / Trunks / Mai. "

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:46 am

I think that Super Shenron may restore Future Trunks reality except Black and Zamasu without the need to rewind time or alter timeline in any way. Just like it "restored" universe 6 earth and humankind: nobody said it splitted reality while doing it... it "recreated" the planet and filled it with vegetation and animals (including humans and their technology). This time it should have to do it in a larger scale (not just a single planet, but everything) and in a different timeline... but being said that its wishes have no limitations....

However, writers decided to go to a different direction for once...
Last edited by Gig on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:48 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:3) This one is kinda tricky, but Zamasu did technically win and his zero mortal plan succeeded.
I would not say that. His plan was to have a beautiful "world" (I suppose he meant "multiverse"), just without mortals/humans. Now there is no universe at all (no plants, no water, no planets, no moons, no stars, nothing), the plan failed.

Maybe it may be considered a "draw"?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:24 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:For the first time ever, the main villain is not defeated by a saiyan or Z-warrior
General Blue
Commander Red
Piccolo Jr.
Dr. Gero
Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Fat Boo.
I wouldn't consider any of those characters to be a main villain. An antagonist, absolutely, but main villain? Nope.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:Ep 67 brought many first things in Dragon Ball

1) For the first time ever, the main villain is not defeated by a saiyan or Z-warrior

2) The Z-warriors lost and failed completely in this arc. All their fighting was totally futile.This is also the first arc where the ending is purely tragic.

3) This one is kinda tricky, but Zamasu did technically win and his zero mortal plan succeeded. All past villains in DB either died as loser or converted into good guy.

4) Most importantly, for the first time in Dragon Ball everybody who died in this arc will remain dead for good. The infamous plot device (shenron granting wish and revive) won't work. Trunks and co accepted their fate and will live with the consequence. This is the only arc in DB where death has any meaning or value.

Any more points?
Grandpa Gohan, Future Z-Warriors, #16, Goku (at first), King Kai, Bubbles, and Gregory's deaths had plenty of meaning.

And Cell achieved what he wanted (perfection).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
General Blue
Commander Red
Piccolo Jr.
Dr. Gero
Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Fat Boo.
I wouldn't consider any of those characters to be a main villain. An antagonist, absolutely, but main villain? Nope.
All of them except for arguably General Blue and #16 were main villains at one point. It's not even debatable, they just factually, demonstrably were.
Retired.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:55 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: General Blue
Commander Red
Piccolo Jr.
Dr. Gero
Android 16
Android 17
Android 18
Fat Boo.
All of them except for arguably General Blue and #16 were main villains at one point. It's not even debatable, they just factually, demonstrably were.
But they were mostly defeated by a saiyan or a z warrior. And neither required wiping the multiverse for them to be defeated.