The Biggest Sin of the "Future" Trunks Arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: The Biggest Sin of the "Future" Trunks Arc

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:31 pm

Wouldn't call the 'sins', more like minor gripes:

- Goku Black and Future Zamasu fusing. I like them better as individuals and it was unique twist on the all-powerful final villain we had through the series.

- None of Goku Black's personality traits were in Merged Zamasu. He was like a amp up version of Future Zamasu. He almost nothing from Black except his mood-swings.

- The unexplained Spirit Bomb. Narratively, I love what it represent it felt so fitting. But where did it come from? Did Trunks formed it unconsciously?

- Goku forgetting the seal annoys me, but I am more annoyed that fanbase blames solely Goku for it and not Roshi who never gave it to him.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Losing Goku Black. That guy was so damn entertaining as an antagonist and an integral part of what the arc so amazing.

Other grips I had were:
- The lack of explanation of what Future Trunks new transformation was
- The Genki Dama sword scene
HeroR wrote:- Goku forgetting the seal annoys me, but I am more annoyed that fanbase blames solely Goku for it and not Roshi who never gave it to him.
This really annoyed me to. Not the moment Goku forgot the seal, well, actually, yeah that did annoy me :P , but with how quick the fanbase solely blamed Goku for it and not even mentioning how Roshi could have travel to Goku's house and given it to him. There are two sides of the coin to this. Both Goku and Roshi are at fault for that moment.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Chuquita wrote:Losing Gokû Black to the fusion that resulted in Merged Zamasu. I enjoyed Gokû Black as a villain so much more than their fusion.
I agree. Goku Black himself was a much more interesting villain than merged Zamasu. Nozawa's performance was absolutely stellar. The scene where he clapped his hands smirking and mocking at Vegeta then telling him he was the "appetizer" was a badass Goku Black moment.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Did Future Trunks and Goten ever meet? At all? Because if not, that is one TREMENDOUS missed opportunity.

He met Videl, he met Pan, he met 18 and saw she wasn't a monster like the one he was familiar with, but he doesn't mean his other self's best friend, and Gohan's younger brother? Fans have been waiting to see that for decades!
Trunks & Goten forever

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:16 pm

This isn't a big sin but I feel it needs to be pointed out: What on earth happened to Majin Buu? He's the strongest Z fighter after Goku and Vegeta (not counting FT). I don't recall him making not even a cameo the entire Arc.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:19 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I can only say one aspect? Damn...

Probably the structure of the story and unfilled gaps in between. It really felt like a rushed product.
TBH if it was any longer people would've complained about dragging on like dbz. I would take a rushed product over 80 episode arc anyday. Our timespan is very limited nowadays unlike back in the day (no smartphone, social media, playstation online, youtube etc). Nobody has patience for long arc
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Thanos6 wrote:Did Future Trunks and Goten ever meet? At all? Because if not, that is one TREMENDOUS missed opportunity.

He met Videl, he met Pan, he met 18 and saw she wasn't a monster like the one he was familiar with, but he doesn't mean his other self's best friend, and Gohan's younger brother? Fans have been waiting to see that for decades!
Oh boy, have you seen episode 67? xd

Just to warn you - don't expect too much.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:06 pm

Mnich wrote:Oh boy, have you seen episode 67? xd

Just to warn you - Be prepared to either love it, or hate it
I'd say that's more accurate. I personally loved it, and that's as a guy who hated Episode 66.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Nope, I haven't been watching the series at all to be honest, just reading recap summaries. So if Mirai Trunks and Goten did meet, let me know what happened? Don't worry about spoiling it for me. :)
Trunks & Goten forever

Nano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nano » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:32 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:The arc butchered the laws of time travel, and pissed on the corpse at the very end.
Lol qft!
I love Dragon Ball so much that I'm constantly complaining about how horrible Super is.

Black Goku / Future Trunks saga... was/is garbage.

Top 5 Favorite DBS Characters = Beerus, Whis, still waiting on the last 3 lol...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:16 am

Another issue I have is that there isn't much going on compared to the manga's original arcs.

I think there should've been more development for everyone and more build up to the important moments.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:27 am

Its hard for me choose one sin as the "Biggest sin". I have two in mind:

- Black and Zamasu's fusion, it took every fun of watching Black and Zamasu's duo, it was fun and interesting how they were using Zamasu's inmortality to beat Goku and Vegeta. Also their relationship was entertaining :P
Merged Zamasu by the other hand, wasn't fun as he was just standing in the air throwing uninteresting attacks that didn't affect the heroes to the point of making a retreat. :thumbdown: It didn't change the feeling when he became a monster either :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

- Trunks strength and abilities coming from nowhere. He didn't had his own special moves, just borrowed the ones from his father and the genkidama :thumbdown: We didn't see how did he earned them, he just happened to use them because he could. :wtf: Why did he needed Goku and Vegeta again?
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:51 am

Goku's forgetfulness was absolutely ridiculous. Ignoring the seal he also forgot; he also forgot the senzu beans leaving them in the bathroom, and then forgot to take the pot out the time machine.

It does feel like it IS Goku's fault more than Roshi's however.
Goku has Instant Transmission, it's shown as a repeating character flaw on Goku's part in this arc and Roshi is generally well prepared for all his own character flaws. He said he was going to go in and make the talisman as Goku thanked him. He then phones up Bulma's house upon discovering the talisman hasn't been taken and states "You forgot something important".
At this point I'm half expecting Goku to have instantly forgotten what Roshi said about needing the Talisman mere seconds after the old man said it and IT off with the pot as soon as he learnt the Mafuba.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

toadma

Post by toadma » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:02 am

Not going into Zamasu's background a bit of how he started hating mortals before meeting Goku. Forcing the whole MaixTrunks shipping instead of focusing on the story.Not bringing Future Gohan back while the villain being his "father" and having a big role in Trunks' life.Having made that un creative fusion making the whole mystery with Black and the super saiyan rose use less.Retconning the whole potara fusion only an hour making it useless and not giving Vegito much screentime and that horrible ending.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:55 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I can only say one aspect? Damn...

Probably the structure of the story and unfilled gaps in between. It really felt like a rushed product.
TBH if it was any longer people would've complained about dragging on like dbz. I would take a rushed product over 80 episode arc anyday. Our timespan is very limited nowadays unlike back in the day (no smartphone, social media, playstation online, youtube etc). Nobody has patience for long arc
Hunter x Hunter Chimera Ant Arc is 60 or so episodes I believe and doesnt have ANY pacing problems. They could write an arc for Super at 30 and explain more.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:40 am

Akyon wrote:Goku's forgetfulness was absolutely ridiculous. Ignoring the seal he also forgot; he also forgot the senzu beans leaving them in the bathroom, and then forgot to take the pot out the time machine.
This!
I don't think Goku realizes his stupidity caused Trunks to lose everything.
And the fact that the destruction of Trunk's time line was downplayed like it was not a big deal. :problem:

And Gohan being absolutely useless in this arc.
Shame on him. :thumbdown:

FireFly
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FireFly » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:09 pm

The Genkidama sword and Mafuba related asspulls. The pointless retcon of the Potara Fusion that makes the guy who introduced the concept to Goku look like a fucking idiot.

There are other flaws but those stood out the most for me.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:26 pm

The arc in itself is a sin to Dragon Ball. Everything from character motivations to asspulls and retcons can suck a big fat one.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:55 am

Even though I enjoyed the arc as a whole, I didn't like the idea of having Trunks and Mai end up in that alternate timeline. I feel Goku could have bribed Zeno to rewind time à la Wiss, then eliminate Black... I'm not sure of the details, but I bet that they could have thought of a way better outcome for them.

I also wonder what their lives in the new timeline will be. He'll be the even darker and edgier version of Future Trunks... basically Future Future Trunks :lol:
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts