Dragon Ball Super VS Dragon Ball GT: which is better?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Speedster
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super VS Dragon Ball GT: which is better?

Post by Speedster » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:53 am

As far as I am concerned this 45-episode version of GT (ep. 1-2, 16-40, 42-48, 54-64) is superior against this 50-episode version of Super (ep 1-3, 5-14, 16-18, 28-29, 31-41, 47-67) in every way.
Dragonball Black wrote: especially with how poorly everything was executed in GT.
GT is poorly executed in general or compared to Super? If the latter where exactly is GT poorer to Super in terms of execution?
Storyboarding & Direction? No.
Pacing? No.
Storytelling? No.
Music? No.
Art & Animation? No.
Fighting choreography? No.
Creation of tension? No.
Suspension of disbelief? No.
Protagonist’s characterisation? No.
Consistency? No.
Logic? No.
Power scaling? Hell no.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:25 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Does Super have the Black Star Dragon Ball Saga? That will answer your question.
NOTHING has anything that bad.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:38 am

sintzu wrote: NOTHING has anything that bad.
Honestly, I'd argue that the Resurrection F arc was worse the Black Star Dragon Balls arc.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:18 am

Bansho64 wrote:I'd argue that the Resurrection F arc was worse the Black Star Dragon Balls arc.
I'd argue that it's one of the franchise's best arcs because of episode 27.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Nguyenkim

Post by Nguyenkim » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:20 am

So far to say but maybe DB Super stories better. But the SSj4 of GT forever is the best transformation, forever ever! :D

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragonball Super VS Dragonball GT - Which Is Better?

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:57 am

Nguyenkim wrote:So far to say but maybe DB Super stories better. But the SSj4 of GT forever is the best transformation, forever ever! :D
I can agree with this.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:11 am

sintzu wrote: I'd argue that it's one of the franchise's best arcs because of episode 27.
Ok? I mean, Vegeta's beatdown was alright, but it still doesn't excuse for me how bad the rest of it was. If you enjoy it that much, more power to you, but it hardly did anything for me and I definitely wouldn't say that it had a lasting good impression in my mind.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Super is better but it's got a long way to go to match DBZ.

My wish for Super Going forward is that we don't get anymore stupid transformations for Goku and Vegeta. Enough is enough already. Maybe get a technique that boosts their power but don't actually transform. Kioken is the way to go moving forward. Max that one first then move on to the next.

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:48 am

julianix wrote:Super is better but it's got a long way to go to match DBZ.

My wish for Super Going forward is that we don't get anymore stupid transformations for Goku and Vegeta. Enough is enough already. Maybe get a technique that boosts their power but don't actually transform. Kioken is the way to go moving forward. Max that one first then move on to the next.
All Kaioken is a plot hax get stronger than my opponents techniques with no discernable drawbacks. They first need to tell us what's so special about god ki and differentiate it from regular ki in ways other than; its so powerful it dwarfs supporting class just because

Kaioken always been an awful move

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:07 am

Speedster wrote:As far as I am concerned this 45-episode version of GT (ep. 1-2, 16-40, 42-48, 54-64) is superior against this 50-episode version of Super (ep 1-3, 5-14, 16-18, 28-29, 31-41, 47-67) in every way.

GT is poorly executed in general or compared to Super? If the latter where exactly is GT poorer to Super in terms of execution?
Storyboarding & Direction? No.
Pacing? No.
Storytelling? No.
Music? No.
Art & Animation? No.
Fighting choreography? No.
Creation of tension? No.
Suspension of disbelief? No.
Protagonist’s characterisation? No.
Consistency? No.
Logic? No.
Power scaling? Hell no.
As a fellow Fan of the Young Justice(which is one of the best shows US has made), i find it a bit shocking u rate the Super 17 Arc and the Shadow Dragons Arc above the non retelling Arcs of DBS.

I will only give GT the edge of Art&Animation and OST(even though the OST in the Trunks Arc improved drastically). The only good fight I enjoyed in GT was Goku vs Ledgic

Kamen Rider Revolver

Post by Kamen Rider Revolver » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:07 pm

I find myself going back and forth on this. Super is probably better, but GT had more interesting ideas imo. Super at times seems too reliant on doing stuff Z for fan wanking. GT at least tried to do new things, they just did wrong. I liked going back to a Dragonball type story with the setting in space instead of Earth, but Pan sucked, Trunks was boring and Goku being a kid was dumb. If Pan and Trunks were better, maybe Goten and Bra could came along as well. The Shadow Dragons arc was a great idea too as an ending. Just that too many of them were bad, which shows when games only use like three of them. And SJ4 is a lot more interesting than Blue. But Super isn't done yet, so who knows.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:11 pm

It's way to early to judge as a whole now, but I'm currently enjoying Super far more than I ever did with GT.

gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gofishus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:18 pm

GT for me, for a few reasons:

-same animation style as DBZ not the super cute Super look
-Gohan is relevant, well at least more so than in DBS
-the power scaling is more understandable whereas in DBS they are all over the place
-the transformations make more sense to me and more ORIGINAL
-the fights are longer
-better use of the main cast

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:24 pm

GT never made me want to ram face first into a runaway train so it wins by default.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:45 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:GT never made me want to ram face first into a runaway train so it wins by default.
But how can you catch up to a train that's running away from you? :wink:

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:17 pm

I believe there is the exact same thread in the In-Universe or General Discussion foras, but I may post also there,
I usually post my rants but this time I'll try to share a bit the positives and why I consider Super largely superior to GT,

Simply put, starting from the Tournament arc it's just great for the most part lol

We get a freaking tournament with the DB comedic aspect alongside Z-like battles and an awesome villain that can manipulate time yet Goku is so insanely strong he can counter the technique.
Seriously that's way more awesome than anything GT could ever come up with lol

Then more universes opens tons of possibilities, new dragon balls have the size of planets with a dragon bigger than the galaxies yes I take, the FTrunks arc gives us allegedly the best performance of Nozawa in her lifetime with Black, a well-written fallen god as main villain, a great narrative even if it needed tons of a few asspulls, god tier animation for some episodes (just too short) and new transformations.

So even with all the problems the show has and at times they're pretty terrible, I would say today Super is doing far better than GT ever did, as it delivers more of the good stuff lol

Nano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nano » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:11 am

GT has better animation, fights, and transformations.

Super has Beerus.

I love DB so much that I complain about how bad Super is. Hey, that's going in the sig lol
I love Dragon Ball so much that I'm constantly complaining about how horrible Super is.

Black Goku / Future Trunks saga... was/is garbage.

Top 5 Favorite DBS Characters = Beerus, Whis, still waiting on the last 3 lol...

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 am

Super is better. Sure, Super could do a nosedive later but as of right now it's just better. In the animation department, GT had consistent normal animation with bad animation sometimes. Whereas Super have sometime bad animation and sometime good animation. For soundtrack, both of them are unmemorable. For the story, Super blows GT out of the water. Lore, Super obliterated GT. Characters, we have had more memorable characters in Super than we ever had in GT. Lastly, GT just feels terrible. Like, I tried to rewatch it but drop it in like 5 episodes because it felt strange.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:34 am

The whole Toriyama's influence thing is a big deal for me. That aside, reasons I prefer Super so far:

Characters seem more lively. The Black Star Dragonballs and Baby sagas had some interesting characters, and even if I wish Uub was handled differently I enjoyed his character, but in Super, we have: Beerus/Whis, who add an element we didn't really have in GT, of godly figures who take an active interest in our protagonists; Trunks returned, and seemed to have some legitimate character development (Vegeta's character arc finished in the Boo saga, but it was great seeing him taking on a warmer role with Future Trunks, and I feel the interactions with his future counterpart had a lasting effect on Present Trunks); Zamasu/Black had a descent before our eyes unlike anything else in the series, tremendous development.

The world also feels much, much bigger. I'm not a huge fan of GT, but the Black Star Dragonballs and Baby sagas had a lot of good things, and I think it felt a lot like something that would happen in the Dragonball universe. It felt like a bit of a gaiden, aside from Piccolo's death and Buu being absorbed into Uub, but I liked how it played out. The Super 17 stuff isn't something that interested me, but I did like some aspects of the Shadow Dragons saga. Was important for there to be consequences for using the Dragonballs. Goku sacrificed himself, and atoned for using them. Like with the Black Star/Baby stuff though, it felt like something that while it was an apt concept, felt constrained to the canvas Toriyama painted through Buu.

In Super on the other hand, it follows a natural progression from the beginning of the original series. The scope increases: martial arts tournament -> saving the world from a native (or so we believed) threat, twice -> saving the world from an extraterrestrial threat, twice -> going to another planet to repair the damage, and in turn save the galaxy from an empire -> defeat a galactic threat from another timeline -> defeat a legitimate universal threat (over time). GT kind of stopped there (not just speaking of power scaling, though I believe SSJ4 Gogeta did have some impressive powers at the end). Super moves forward by expanding the hierarchy of gods, and just recently we had a multiverse/entire timeline destroyed. That's pretty crazy! Now, we're at TTGL levels of scale, so I'm not sure how one moves beyond there, but there is still a lot of room before Goku and Vegeta reach that point.

Super all in all has been pretty interesting so far, in terms of content, but it isn't a perfect production. There have been a few poorly animated episodes that have detracted from the plot/character development (most have been fixed in blu ray releases from my understanding, except for one particularly shoddily animate episode in the RoF saga), but the quality has generally been more consistent than in the original series. I do miss a lot of the original sound effects, their absence takes something away from the viewing (since the god level ki is a different type of power, different powering up sounds don't bug me as much). I prefer the manga, as it seemed to be an abridged version of Toriyama's scripts/outlines (while the anime seems to be, as per usual, an expansion), and wanted it to become a semimonthly release, but given how long Toyotaro has made the chapters, I'm content with the current release schedule. Still is a bit frustrating reconciling between the two what was Toriyama's original intent (what I'm going with now is, if something is present in both mediums, then it's something that Toriyama intended to do). While I enjoyed the characters in the Universe 6 saga, I always felt the tournaments were too formulaic, and once you've seen one, you've seen them all. In an adventure/fighting series I get that there are only limited opportunities to provide things with structure, but you can only go to that well so many times. Now, the assassin theme is something that would be an amazing addition to the series, and if the rumors of Hit returning are true, would be very welcomed. Especially if Hit is a hidden/stealthy assassin, and there is a constant threat of him appearing. Getting ahead of myself here, so I'll leave it at that, but there is a ton of potential.

Lastly, in addition to scope, I do enjoy a lot of the extra world-building. The new details (like the potara lasting for an hour on mortals, for instance) really flesh out the universe, and are a really fun twist. More flashbacks is always welcome, I liked seeing what we have of Trunks's timeline since we saw him defeat Cell. It's also nice seeing more of Kaioshin—the Buu saga didn't do him justice—and less of Goten (don't want to rant about him here, but I always felt he was a useless character, and would have preferred that he didn't exist, eliminating the Gotenks nonsense in the Buu Saga, and giving us more development of present Trunks before Gohan's return).

I think that's everything, apologies for the disorganized rant. :)

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:37 am

I have to admit I have trouble understanding people saying GT had better animations than Super lol

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Now go find me an extract from GT with better animation than this, you won't because it doesn't exist lol

Most of the animation from Tournament and especially FTrunks arcs are much better than in GT lol