"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Re: Bang Zoom Dragon Ball Super Dub

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:59 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Yeah, no. Money has nothing to do with the situation. Thanks for making stuff up though.
I was on mobile, but basicly I was trying to say that, no, there werent any shenanigans or abuse going on between companies, but if FUNi & anime in general could afford (or in DB's case, cheap out less) better overall, this sort of replacement wouldnt have to happen in the first place. I mean, it's why Troy Baker, & largely Liam o'Brien & Travis Willingham, Mary McGlynn, & Sam Riegel have mostly left dubs. Mary is no longer directing Naruto, & both she & Sam have gone onto direct Disney stuff. I don't know if this is necessarily an issue we can fix, but if this stuff were more commonly known, I'm sure that possibly we could make some sort of difference.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:13 pm

I think Todd Haberkorn could be a perfect fit for Goku. He has the right energy for the role. I'd also love to see Wendee Lee reprise her role as Bulma, she had potential.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think Todd Haberkorn could be a perfect fit for Goku. He has the right energy for the role. I'd also love to see Wendee Lee reprise her role as Bulma, she had potential.
If Haberkorn plays Goku, can we get Schemmel as Jaco? :P

And it'd certainly be interesting if we ended up with some reprisals from Harmony Gold or Final Bout...

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:40 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I think Todd Haberkorn could be a perfect fit for Goku. He has the right energy for the role. I'd also love to see Wendee Lee reprise her role as Bulma, she had potential.

And it'd certainly be interesting if we ended up with some reprisals from Harmony Gold or Final Bout...
Steve Blum as Goku? Lex Lang as Gohan?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:42 pm

dragonballhero wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:

Steve Blum as Goku? Lex Lang as Gohan?
Oh, God, no. I love Steve Blum as an actor, but he's all wrong for Goku, he would do better as Vegeta, Piccolo and Frieza. Lex Lang could work with better direction.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:49 am

Well, here's Goku: https://youtu.be/oshoRDqLRJc
:?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:58 am

Soul wrote:Well, here's Goku: https://youtu.be/oshoRDqLRJc
I'm disappointed (my expectations were too high). Who's voicing him there?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:05 am

I'm worried, I dont know if I like this guy or not... but he could be getting a lot of hate, which worries me...
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:10 am

Chuquita wrote:
I'm disappointed (my expectations were too high). Who's voicing him there?
It does, in fact, amusingly seem to be Lex Lang (Gohan from the Final Bout dub, actually), whom many of us were discussing just a moment ago, lol. I cannot believe it, it's his Kenshiro/Goemon voice doing a Schemmel impression (or a Nozawa impression, which comes with the matter of dubbing overall). This is insane & I cannot believe it exists.

It would have been more amusing & a hilarious meta-casting if Kyle Hebert (Gohan's FUNi VA, & a definite sound-alike to Lex) had voiced Goku here, & Lex Lang..returned to voice Gohan. That being said...nah, I'm not happy with this. I'll give it a chance, but I was really wanting a performance more in line with the original VO. This is much deeper than Schemmel & also its obviously nothing like Kelamis or any previous VAs. Lex would have made a far, far better Tenshinhan, Piccolo, Zamasu, Hit. His voice is more like He-Man than it is Goku. I love Lex, but why u do this to me Bang Zoom?! lol

With what they're doing here with imitating the FUNi VAs, I'm definitely pegging Richard Epcar (Batou), Paul st Peter (Nine-Tailed Demon Fox), or perhaps Chris Terglaferia (Mohammad Avdol from JJbA) as Vegeta or Piccolo, although the latter as Beerus'd be great.

Fingers still crossed for Matt Mercer as Zamasu though. Maybe Chris Smith'd or Keith Silverstein'd be fine, too.

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:41 am

I personally wouldn't be surprised if we saw Erica Mendez as either Goten or Kid Trunks to be perfectly honest.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:44 am

Soul wrote:I personally wouldn't be surprised if we saw Erica Mendez as either Goten or Kid Trunks to be perfectly honest.
That is honestly my expectation. I also am seriously rooting for the idea of Ben Diskin as Future Trunks as well. Robbie Daymond or Max Mittelman as Yamcha, Ray Chase or Kaiji Tang as Tenshinhan...oh wait, they're copying the FUNi voices, so that may not be likely.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:54 am

Sigh... He's no Peter Kelamis, that's for sure. I'll give it a chance but right now all I hear is a grown man trying his hardest to sound like a kid but it just isn't working for me. I'm most disappointed that it's this deep, I was expecting something a little higher pitched to convey that youthful energy a bit better but I guess they went with the Funimation approach after all.

Upon further listening I think my biggest gripe with that clip in particular is that he's lacking energy in his delivery. Even Kirby Morrow used to make his Goku sound very peppy but this guy's speaking tones sound more reserved.

On a positive note I do like that he seems to have incorporated some martial artist/karate kiai when he's throwing kicks and punches though it does sound a little goofy here. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though, maybe that was a deliberate choice considering the scene is more lighthearted and comedic in tone.

Anyway his screams are going to make or break the performance for me and judging by how hesitant most LA actors are to go all out I don't really have high hopes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:15 am

That wasn't very good. Welp excitement for this dub just went out the window.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:43 am

Wow. :? Yeah I gotta say I'm kinda getting a Big Green Goku vibe from this. I'd say Kirby Morrow and even Jeremiah Yurk from Blue Water GT sounded better than this to be honest. Not very encouraging for the rest of the dub, and I can see there being backlash from those who watched Z and Kai on Toonami Asia.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:34 am

Very dissatisfied by this trying to copy Funimation is the wrong move Erik Kimmerer would have been a way better choice for Goku. They made a very poor decision trying to match Funis Dub when funimation has been doing Dragonball since 98. This might end up being Bang Zooms worst Dub I'm curious to see more but very disappointed.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Very dissatisfied by this trying to copy Funimation is the wrong move Erik Kimmerer would have been a way better choice for Goku. They made a very poor decision trying to match Funis Dub when funimation has been doing Dragonball since 98. This might end up being Bang Zooms worst Dub I'm curious to see more but very disappointed.
They probably want it to be consistent with the current Dragon Ball. Since they currently air uncut Blu-Ray Falcouner DBZ on Toonami Asia. If its like that, cant they wait for FUNimations dub?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:58 am

Nope, not happy with the Goku not one bit..
Hearing her Japanese voice actress for so long now have made me realise how much of a better goku she is..
Those screams here lack any energy behind it, it seems like a half assed fan attempt..
Oh well voice actors work hard ,will not sleep on them when i can't do any better, I am sure he will get better with time..
Always have the FUNimation dub via internet if I am not satisfied with this..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:57 am

I've never held Bang Zoom in high regard. After Buu and Goku, I'm starting to think this dub won't change my mind.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:13 am

I think comparing Bang Zoom Goku to Funi Goku... is an insult to Sean Schemmel. Seriously, he can be goofy and silly and while he's not Nozawa he's outstanding...and this is coming from someone who doesnt have nostalgic attachment to DBZ.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:59 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:Very dissatisfied by this trying to copy Funimation is the wrong move Erik Kimmerer would have been a way better choice for Goku. They made a very poor decision trying to match Funis Dub when funimation has been doing Dragonball since 98. This might end up being Bang Zooms worst Dub I'm curious to see more but very disappointed.
Nah, this is far from their worst work. Still disappointed though. That voice is way too deep, but I'll give it a chance. Those kiai were a nice touch in the scene, but I dunno how well they'll work in an actual fight. It just sounds like they're impersonating Sean Schemmel, though. -sigh-

....that Goten sounds good though.