"Dragon Ball Super" Bang Zoom Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Bang Zoom Dragon Ball Super Dub

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:05 pm

ConfusedPhantom wrote:
rs_chaosmaster wrote:Very dissatisfied by this trying to copy Funimation is the wrong move Erik Kimmerer would have been a way better choice for Goku. They made a very poor decision trying to match Funis Dub when funimation has been doing Dragonball since 98. This might end up being Bang Zooms worst Dub I'm curious to see more but very disappointed.
Nah, this is far from their worst work. Still disappointed though. That voice is way too deep, but I'll give it a chance. Those kiai were a nice touch in the scene, but I dunno how well they'll work in an actual fight. It just sounds like they're impersonating Sean Schemmel, though. -sigh-

....that Goten sounds good though.
How though? To me, it sounds nothing like Sean Schemmel
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:07 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
ConfusedPhantom wrote:
rs_chaosmaster wrote:Very dissatisfied by this trying to copy Funimation is the wrong move Erik Kimmerer would have been a way better choice for Goku. They made a very poor decision trying to match Funis Dub when funimation has been doing Dragonball since 98. This might end up being Bang Zooms worst Dub I'm curious to see more but very disappointed.
Nah, this is far from their worst work. Still disappointed though. That voice is way too deep, but I'll give it a chance. Those kiai were a nice touch in the scene, but I dunno how well they'll work in an actual fight. It just sounds like they're impersonating Sean Schemmel, though. -sigh-

Or at least voicing him in the same style, but not with a lot of energy. I dunno. Either way, I need to hear more.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:09 pm

I couldn't care less about this dub or FUNi's but Jesus, Bang Zoom could at least try to do different voices instead of hiring actors to try to do similar voices to the ones FUNimation has.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:10 pm

ConfusedPhantom wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
ConfusedPhantom wrote: Nah, this is far from their worst work. Still disappointed though. That voice is way too deep, but I'll give it a chance. Those kiai were a nice touch in the scene, but I dunno how well they'll work in an actual fight. It just sounds like they're impersonating Sean Schemmel, though. -sigh-

Or at least voicing him in the same style, but not with a lot of energy. I dunno. Either way, I need to hear more.
It just sounds bad to me in general. Lex Lang is a great voice actor and all but he's not fit to be Goku especially with this direction. This dub was clearly made on the cheap and it's unfortunately not looking good which is crazy to think of after Price was casted as Satan which, while not being as good as Rager, is still great casting
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:16 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:How though? To me, it sounds nothing like Sean Schemmel
I'm surprised. Sounds exactly like a Schemmel impression, to me. Seemed to be the general consensus among those I've spoken to. The mannerisms, the little noises, and general speech sound near 1:1 with Schemmel's output.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Ajay wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:How though? To me, it sounds nothing like Sean Schemmel
I'm surprised. Sounds exactly like a Schemmel impression, to me. Seemed to be the general consensus among those I've spoken to. The mannerisms, the little noises, and general speech sound near 1:1 with Schemmel's output.
Maybe in trying to reach the same level of childlike nature that Sean has in his voice yeah but in terms of how the voice sounds on it's own, it sounds pretty far off from Sean's. I'll give it this, it doesn't sound like any other English Goku, not even Steve Blum's, but I think it's pretty horrendous

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:50 pm

I'm not hearing a Sean Schemmel impression either to be honest. It sounds like an original take to me.
ConfusedPhantom wrote: ....that Goten sounds good though.
Agreed. Wish we got to hear the actress talk.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:14 pm

The grunting was pretty awful verged on cringey. 52 episodes is a long time to improve but on the evidence so far I'm not going to stick around to see. Still curious about the other voices but don't have much hope on them.

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The grunting was pretty awful verged on cringey. 52 episodes is a long time to improve but on the evidence so far I'm not going to stick around to see. Still curious about the other voices but don't have much hope on them.
Talking with experience from my country's DBS dub you should stick around, with enough feedback a dub can take a turn from mediocre to great just like that.
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:45 pm

It would be funny if that's Steve Blum voicing Goku.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:39 pm

Soul wrote:Well, here's Goku: https://youtu.be/oshoRDqLRJc
:?
My exact reaction to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5_rn3vG3A

Seriously though, this has killed any kind of anticipation I had for the Bang Zoom dub. I talk about how much miscasting Goku and/or Vegeta could make or break the dub, and hearing this version of Goku,the fucking main character, is gonna take some time for people to get used, if they are going to get used to it. It really sounds like a poor mans version of Schemmel's Goku pre-Kai. This sucks.

Goten sounds alright, I guess.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:21 pm

Soul wrote:I personally wouldn't be surprised if we saw Erica Mendez as either Goten or Kid Trunks to be perfectly honest.
This, this, and this. I love Erica so hearing her in this dub would be a godsend.

Goku, on the other hand, doesn't sound like Schemmel at all. Anyone who thinks so obviously hadn't listened to the Kai dub or the new movies dub recently. I'm in the middle of rewatching Kai so I'm confident this doesn't sound like Schemmel at all. However, it would be good to have more of this Goku to listen to, which doesn't look like may be possible considering the chances of someone actually recording this in Asia is.

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:52 pm

He doesn't sound anything like any English Goku in the past. (Well, maybe Big Green Goku?) I mean, I guess if you want to say whether he sounds more like Schemmel or Nozawa, then I guess he sounds more like Schemmel simply because he is male.

The voice and the acting itself isn't bad, but it's miscast as Goku. Like how Linda Young is good as Baba or Genkai from Yu Yu Hakusho, but not really the right voice for Freeza. Maybe it would work better for Gohan, Yamcha or one of the other supporting cast.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:01 pm

The Gokû miscast really killed my excitement for seeing an alternate English dub. I won't be following it after all. :(

At least I still have TFS. :)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:29 pm

The growing pains that we're seeing right now from this Super dub all could have been avoided if Toei just went with a tried and tested studio like Ocean instead. I swear, Toei are the masters at screwing things up.

I know the hashtag #PerformanceMatters is for videogames but man, it really feels relevant in this situation.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:07 pm

Of all the characters that Bang Zoom miscast and it's Goku... the freaking main character. I really can't get over how upset I am over this. Looks like I'll be giving the Bang Zoom dub a miss and it's a damn shame, too. I was really looking forward to this. :|

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Of all the characters that Bang Zoom miscast and it's Goku... the freaking main character. I really can't get over how upset I am over this. Looks like I'll be giving the Bang Zoom dub a miss and it's a damn shame, too. I was really looking forward to this. :|
I can only imagine your reaction to a Beerus miscast. :lol:

On the Goku choice, yeah, really not digging it on first impressions but have any of you ever considered that you might actually like it the more you listen to it? Who knows? He might just pull an Ayres and blow us all out of the water.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:55 pm

...I really don't understand why people are judging the quality of this dub by only seeing the characters deliver a handful of lines. Let's at least see the entire first episode and then share our thoughts and impressions, shall we?
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Lunatic Fringe wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Of all the characters that Bang Zoom miscast and it's Goku... the freaking main character. I really can't get over how upset I am over this. Looks like I'll be giving the Bang Zoom dub a miss and it's a damn shame, too. I was really looking forward to this. :|

On the Goku choice, yeah, really not digging it on first impressions but have any of you ever considered that you might actually like it the more you listen to it? Who knows? He might just pull an Ayres and blow us all out of the water.
Oh, if they miscast Beerus, they will be hell to pay. :evil:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Lunatic Fringe wrote:

Oh, if they miscast Beerus, they will be hell to pay. :evil:
My guess they're going to get a guy who sounds way to overly British. Though my main concern given the H-word is Bills.