How Would YOU Fix The Goku Black Arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Re: How Would YOU Fix The Goku Black Arc?

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:33 pm

precita wrote:People thinking Goku Black needed to be Goku or Goten themselves is proof some of you are better off not being writers. You guys would ruin the arc more than help it.
I don't think you guys actually understand what makes the "evil alternate universe counterpart" concept interesting in the first place. The appeal is that we get to see how the character turned out under a different set of circumstances and it pits the hero against their own negative personality traits that didn't have a chance to become dominant in the main universe.

Take the Justice Lords, for instance. What makes them interesting isn't the fact that they look like the Justice League, it's the fact that they ARE the Justice League. Justice Lords Superman is what regular Superman could have become. Imagine how that would feel, seeing yourself in a different timeline and realizing that you could have become a ruthless killer under different circumstances. That's an interesting scenario to put a hero in.

A doppelganger villain who merely looks like the hero and who otherwise has nothing to do with him, though...that's just superficial. It doesn't really mean anything, it's basically just fanservice that lets fans see what an evil version of the hero looks like.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 am

From the begininning of the arc until the end:

- Have an episode on the Buu stuff in Future Trunks's world. It could have been extended a bit.
- Show more training, especially for Trunks.
- Show more of Universe 10. I feel like we should've seen what Zamasu did in his own universe before he moved onto Universe 7.
- The whole "oops, we forgot an important item in the past again!" thing was used too many times and became a cop out answer to give the villains an advantage where they should not have had one.
- Episode 64 was a piece of shit. The mafuba was used very awkwardly and the rest of the episode was just a waste. This needs an entire rewrite to fix.
- The ending was way too rushed. The events in episodes 66 and 67 needed to be 4 or 5 episodes long. The production was probably collapsing and they wanted all their good animators to handle the finale. It all looked really good, but felt obviously rushed.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:20 am

How would I fix it, I got some ideas

• not rush it
• not rush it
• not rush it
• not freaking rush the god damn thing
• trunks needed to finish by doing something else.. that ending was just forced..
• why was trunks crying all the time again?
• give trunks some good length training, if getting hit by blue makes you blue, Cabba would get it in the tournament just because..
See it all comes down to not rushing it
• so I would not rush it
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:18 am

-Have Zamasu's descent into villainy not be rushed.

When Black turns up and kills Gowasu, Zamasu seemed shocked and concerned about his fallen teacher(even though it's shown he was planning to kill him himself). All it takes then is Black to tell him he's him(Zamasu) and Zamasu's pretty cool with what happened.

My favourite parts of the arc were the parts where we see Zamasu question mortals and the gods leading upto the actual events of the saga. Even after Zamasu joins Black I feel he should still be questioning if he's doing the right or wrong thing. By all means have him decide this is the right thing to do after all with a little convincing from Black, but it wasn't as drawn out as I felt it should be.

-Have the Mafuba work.

After the build up the Mafuba should have worked. Black could have easily busted Zamasu out at a later point, but the way it was handled made Goku look like an idiot for not remembering the Talisman AND forgetting to grab it from the time machine, made the whole "we need to fix this pot" part a waste of Trunks' time and also made Goku waste his time yet further learning how to use the mafuba.

-Gohan
Fadeddream5's suggestion for how Gohan should have been involved is excellent, please go see that. Gohan not even asking why Trunks was there made Gohan look like the biggest idiot of the arc...and that's saying something considering how Goku's forgetfulness basically ended up destroying Trunks' future.

-Yajirobe
No for real though, didn't we see Yajirobe get iced in the Androids flashback? Roshi was supposedly still alive according to that, why did they switch the two? That aside; Yajirobe COULD have been the one to teach Trunks how to use a blade, but that's never really explored and delved into. More's the pity, could have made his appearance have a reason to exist.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:59 am

I'm even more disappointed they chose to completely vaporize Zamasu. I recently learned he voices Kojiro in pokémon. After watching some subbed pokémon eps with Miki; he's got range. ("Cho~!" range in fact). I wish they'd have punished him for his crimes some other way (kai prison? Anoyo community service?).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:28 am

Ki Breaker wrote:How would I fix it, I got some ideas

• not rush it
• not rush it
• not rush it
• not freaking rush the god damn thing
• trunks needed to finish by doing something else.. that ending was just forced..
• why was trunks crying all the time again?
• give trunks some good length training, if getting hit by blue makes you blue, Cabba would get it in the tournament just because..
See it all comes down to not rushing it
• so I would not rush it
:mrgreen: :clap: lol

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:34 am

• Keep Goku and Vegeta in their RoF outfits.
• For the most part, just take the manga, and add the anime's sense of mystery surrounding Black's identity (and the build up to its reveal).
• Have Trunks train with Whis to get his "god" form.
• Have Zamasu actually be trapped in the jar with the Mafuba, and fusing with Black would be how he breaks out.
• Use Gogeta instead of Vegetto. No need to retcon how the Potara works (but I also want that bullshit Trunks-Genki-Sword/Zeno-Multiverse-Destruction one-two punch to end Zamasu :P ).

Super Inconsequential But I Would Still Change Tier:
• Don't make Trunks' hair randomly blue.
• Have the "Goku's never kissed before" gag instead be "Vegeta misinterprets Goku as having never kissed".

Pretty much pleased the rest of the way.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:57 am

First of all, I'd fix the timeline mess that Super's gotten itself into. I'd stick to the four timelines we had from the Cell arc and have Goku Black come from the unseen timeline.

Future Zamasu was too easily convinced to join Goku Black on his omnicidal plans. Present Zamasu's fall was covered very well in Super, but Future Zamasu should not have accepted Gowasu's murder so easily. Perhaps I'd spend some time on Goku Black convincing his counterpart that mortals are dangerous, before he pulls the trigger on Future Gowasu.

I'd also include the Zamasu from Cell's timeline. In this original timeline, Zamasu's hatred for mortals never materialized (Goku Black and Future Zamasu even said that Trunks' travels eventually led to his Zero Mortals Plan). So, I'd explore Zamasu's character further by having this Zamasu redeem himself and eventually overcoming his doubts about mortals. A good Zamasu, basically. I'd figure out a way to get him involved, helping out the main cast and trying to convince his other counterparts to let go of their hatred for mortals. He's seen the error of his ways and he learned the value of mortals, so now he must try to convince Goku Black and Future Zamasu of this. I'd have Future Zamasu starting to doubt the Zero Mortals Plan and Goku Black refusing to see the light. He eventually betrays Future Zamasu and kills him, leaving Good Zamasu in shock to see the depths in which his counterpart has fallen.
It's all GOOD

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:51 am

Terra-jin wrote:First of all, I'd fix the timeline mess that Super's gotten itself into. I'd stick to the four timelines we had from the Cell arc and have Goku Black come from the unseen timeline.

Future Zamasu was too easily convinced to join Goku Black on his omnicidal plans. Present Zamasu's fall was covered very well in Super, but Future Zamasu should not have accepted Gowasu's murder so easily. Perhaps I'd spend some time on Goku Black convincing his counterpart that mortals are dangerous, before he pulls the trigger on Future Gowasu.

I'd also include the Zamasu from Cell's timeline. In this original timeline, Zamasu's hatred for mortals never materialized (Goku Black and Future Zamasu even said that Trunks' travels eventually led to his Zero Mortals Plan). So, I'd explore Zamasu's character further by having this Zamasu redeem himself and eventually overcoming his doubts about mortals. A good Zamasu, basically. I'd figure out a way to get him involved, helping out the main cast and trying to convince his other counterparts to let go of their hatred for mortals. He's seen the error of his ways and he learned the value of mortals, so now he must try to convince Goku Black and Future Zamasu of this. I'd have Future Zamasu starting to doubt the Zero Mortals Plan and Goku Black refusing to see the light. He eventually betrays Future Zamasu and kills him, leaving Good Zamasu in shock to see the depths in which his counterpart has fallen.
Just a quick note to state I adore this idea. A lot of potential right there.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:41 pm

-Show us Trunks training with the Z sword and taking the Trunks&Kaioshin vs Dabura fight from the manga.

-Instead of letting Trunks play with Pan(useless filler), could've showed us a real Gohan/Trunks character bonding episode by letting Trunks explain what Gohan meant to him in his life with flashbacks from the History of Trunks.

-Getting rid of the annoying back and forth time travel. The last time was one too much and was useless anyway. What was the point of the Mafuba?

More blood would've been better, but don't think we can expect that in Super.

Was pretty content with everything else. All the other issues were things that have been in DB Super since episode 1, so it's not really fair to judge this arc on that(colored super saiyans, combination of humor on serious moments, Goku's character portrayal etc.)

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:26 pm

It should have ended with a vow by Trunks to keep supernatural villains from wrecking other timelines in the same way Zamasu wrecked his. This gives him an actual purpose, foreshadows Time Patrol Trunks, and means we might actually see him (and Future Mai) again. This all would happen in a non-contrived way, no less.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:42 pm

dbgtFO wrote:-Remove the ridiculous time paradox and Beerus' time altering powers and replace it with Goku-Black simply being the original course of events in the main timeline, until Trunks travelled back, creating the new main timeline, where they eventually kill Zamasu and prevent Goku-Black from happening.
I think that's what they were going for, but the streamlined explanation that only Beerus killing Zamasu, as the "biggest" difference between both versions of events, was responsible for the split botches it a bit.

WhatIfTheories

Post by WhatIfTheories » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:41 pm

I was only let down by the last couple Episodes. Thought the Black Goku and Zamasu was a decent storyline. However Trunks pulling a spirit sword out of no where? Cough. Just why? That was terrible. Not to mention the lack of any
explanation on Trunks rage filled power increase. It got whacky and fast.

After Vegito defused instead of the cheesy spirit sword that had no place and makes ZERO sense I would of just had the actual Gods show up Beerus and Whis and put Merged Zamasu in place. Could of been more action packed and
finally get to see what the Gods can do Power wise. We didn't even need to involve Zeno and then make it even more crazy after that fact. So it ended in a mess.

Could of been so nice and clean and after Beerus and Whis defeated Merged Zamasu would of then said you mortals rely on the Gods to much.

The End.

Not sure why it was so messy and had such a terrible ending.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:43 pm

I would've probably removed the MaFuuBa. It's nice to have, but the storyline would imply that Zamasu might return and as a result I think that would hurt the ending of the arc since the arc relies so heavily on giving peace to Trunks and Mai.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:18 pm

There are only two things that needed to be done to fix any issue this arc had.

1-Not rushing ep 66
2-Explain some shit!!!!!!! Seriously, basically every major narrative flaw or inconsistence in the arc is due to this, if Trunks transformation had an explanation it wouldn't even be seen as an asspull to anyone for example.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:42 pm

dbgtFO wrote:-The Arc should have been at least 10 episodes longer, Merged Zamasu was present for less than 2½ episodes ffs and 67 had too much stuff crammed into one episode.
-Remove the ridiculous time paradox and Beerus' time altering powers and replace it with Goku-Black simply being the original course of events in the main timeline, until Trunks travelled back, creating the new main timeline, where they eventually kill Zamasu and prevent Goku-Black from happening.

That's my two major beefs. A darker version of the arc could have Goku Black, actually being Goten, who was kidnapped by Zamasu and then eventually turned evil after years of bad influence, but I'm cool with the actual version we got.
Lol the jason todd/robin/arkham knight paralells would be ridiculous then.

I agree with your criticisms though id do the same thing.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:41 am

My answer:

Instead of having trunks just form a Genkidama (Spirit bomb) outta no where. Id have him stop vegito right after the final kamehameha, talk to him for like 10 seconds and convince him to borrow his power (Vegito's power into trunks) and finish off zamasu as he destroyed his planet and people. and THEN have vegito defuse.

And then right after vegito defuses the power that vegito gave trunks disappears.

And not make goku a goofball 24/7 and make the other characters a lot more relevant.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:29 am

Hindsight is 20/20, and you're always going to have a bias on your own ideas.
But, to cater to me, I would make the Vegito fight multiple episodes.
Make Goku form the spirit Bomb and have trunks absorb it.
:clap:

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:24 am

Yomi wrote:Hindsight is 20/20, and you're always going to have a bias on your own ideas.
But, to cater to me, I would make the Vegito fight multiple episodes.
Make Goku form the spirit Bomb and have trunks absorb it.

making vegito fight multiple episodes would be a plus. But the reason they rushed it (I think) Is because they wanted the entire fight to have great animation. if it was for 2 episodes for example, the first half of the 2nd episode would look as bad as episode 67. so they put everything onto this one episode :clap:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:26 am

1- Piccolo uses the Mafuba successfully

2- Take out the back and forth in time

3- Remove 66 and 67 entirely.

4- Gohan and Goten meet Black